Author Topic: Gaming Staff (still need tabletop!)  (Read 14469 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Gaming Staff (still need tabletop!)
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:06:04 pm »
EDIT:  Console gaming finally has the numbers we've been looking for, but Tabletop still has openings!  If you're interested, please attend a General Meeting ASAP to register!

EDIT some more: Go here if you still want to nab an opening in gaming.

It's very important that all of our registered staff follow through on their commitments and communicate with the Gaming Manager to ensure that the game room runs as smoothly as possible!  If anything comes up that will prevent people from making those contributions, it's vital that we are informed as promptly as possible.  Please make sure your contact information is up-to-date and you are prepared to attend meetings when they come up.

Thanks,
-Charlie "DancingTofu" and the Kumoricon Gaming Staff
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:10:57 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Re: ATTN: Gamers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:02 pm »
is there lan?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:10 pm »
That's something that will be determined after elections.  We don't have the computers to run LAN ourselves, so we rely on outside sources for our LAN. (BackSpace)

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:57:52 pm »
I'm sad with no lan.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 12:45:38 am »
Then do something about it. :P  It'll be there if you bring it there.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:02:46 am »
Um.....a whole network of computers? Just bring your collection of 15 or so...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:00:14 pm »
I was thinking more along the line of people using their personal resources to help us find sponsors or partners would could supply the LAN.  BackSpace has before, but it's too spendy. :P

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:16 pm »
I'm sad with no lan.
There was lan in 2007, not sure what happened in 2008 I'd like there to be lan in 2009.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:09 am »
Just a reminder: Content discussion belongs in gaming.  This topic is for help wanted. :P

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:11:05 am »
what exactly does gaming staff do? do you just like walk around the game room making sure no one's doing bad things to the systems? I'm curious.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:13:17 am »
In 2008, game room staff did the following:
-Bag Check
-Game Check-In and Check-Out
-Tournaments
-Roaming (making sure all the systems are being used appropriately, no games are being left out, etc)

I'm pushing to detach Bag Check from gaming or find a way to enforce that it's ONLY for gaming, because we can't handle 200+ bags, props, and purses that people just don't want to carry with them during the con.  Also, we were ridiculously understaffed in 2008, so it simply wasn't something we could handle; we had to get help from Yojimbo.

We also set up the room.

It's not easy; you do a lot of work and the con really just flashes by because you're always on the go, but it's a real positive experience.  Hopefully, we can get more staff so we're not all half-dead by Monday in 2009, but even half-dead, I really enjoyed Kumoricon 2008 a lot more than I've enjoyed cons I've been to as just an attendee.

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 12:33:21 am »
I will gladly help with gaming :-)
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline NeyRey

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »
i would also like to help out in the game room

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »
Can you guys make it to the next meeting?  It would be great if you could.  If you can, let me know and I'll try to make sure I have a couple staff forms with me in case everyone else forgets them again. :P (it would be preferable if you guys just printed your own though) ;P

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
You posted this awhile ago but whatev. Me and Kyle can probably just help out like we did last year as volunteers. We did stay for long periods of times but we can't be stuck down as staff because of our silly cosplay things.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:15:25 pm »
Understood.  The help of volunteers was very much appreciated last year.  Hopefully this year we can get a meeting scheduled  a few weeks prior to the con where new staff and volunteers will be briefed on how gaming will work, to avoid some of the confusions we had last year.

Offline Savvy-kins

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »
Definitely interested! I came to the meeting today, and I'm eager to help out with gaming!
-~-All In All Is All We Are-~-

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 12:15:33 am »
Awesome!  Did you get a chance to talk to Jaki, fill out a staff form, and meet any other gaming staff?  We were all chatting in the back of the room for the most part; we were the group with the baby. :P

Anyway, we look forward to having you on board! :]

Offline Savvy-kins

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 05:02:25 pm »
Lol, no. My sister and I got there late and all the forms were gone. =(
But yeah, we met the group with the cute baby Vincent!!
-~-All In All Is All We Are-~-

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:50 pm »
I posted in the staff section but I would definitely be up to helping run and/or play games and stuff.

Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:40 am »
Rockin'!  If you can come to one of the upcoming meetings (I believe the next one is in Eugene on May 16th) and fill out a staff form, that would be great.  You'll probably be asked to contribute somewhere between 16 and 24 hours on shift, and the rest of the time you'll be pretty much free to attend the convention and enjoy the benefits of being staff.  As staff, you should also make sure you're setting a good example and helping out when you can even when you're off shift.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 03:22:32 pm »
Rockin'!  If you can come to one of the upcoming meetings (I believe the next one is in Eugene on May 16th) and fill out a staff form, that would be great.  You'll probably be asked to contribute somewhere between 16 and 24 hours on shift, and the rest of the time you'll be pretty much free to attend the convention and enjoy the benefits of being staff.  As staff, you should also make sure you're setting a good example and helping out when you can even when you're off shift.

All the way in Eugene?  jeeez!  Thats a bit far for a drive! LoL
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
Well, there will be more.  The rest of the meetings before the con should be as follows (I might be forgetting one...I don't think we have one in June because of the Staff Retreat):

May 16th - Eugene
July 11th
August 9th
August 22nd

There will also most likely be a few Programming Departmental Meetings in May, June, and July.  I'm not going to be able to make it to the next one personally because I'm broke and I have some prior commitments.  If you can't either, that's fine.  The last three will probably be in Portland.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 11:57:27 am »
You'll probably be asked to contribute somewhere between 16 and 24 hours on shift, and the rest of the time you'll be pretty much free to attend the convention and enjoy the benefits of being staff.

To amend this statement by Tofu.
Ideally this would be correct. Look at the con from a 72hr stand. we start Saturday morning 8am And end anywhere from 12-2. So for gaming purposes we will say 2. So thats an 18hr block right there. Again on Sunday and Monday is 8am-5(not 100% we will say that time for this sake). So 18+18+9=45hrs. Thats how much coverage we need. You will be working the better part of 36hrs unless we have the coverage. I don't intend to sound like a hardass that will work you to the core but its the truth of things.

I do plan on having a precise schedule. I do not intend to scare anyone off but I don't want you signing up with false beliefs of getting to roam con. You will get breaks and lunches and time to enjoy things. When the con schedule is posted with panels/events/tourneys what-have-you, I will start working on staff schedule that will be subject to change in case we have extra staff sign up and it will be flexible that you may not have to do anything but you MUST be available during your shift and checking in with me during your shift. Off shift you are free to do as you please. But be aware you may be asked to stand in if something happens off shift.

This actually sounds stricter than it really is, and I sound kind of bitchy. But I like to be organized and I don't like the chaos of gaming staff. Especially since this year I will have my son to also be keeping an eye on. Thank you for your interest and I do hope you are still willing to help us out.

Another option is if you just dont want to be tied down you can be a volunteer and I will (I believe) also be Volunteer manager. We are working on some details of volunteers but the more the better and the less work someone has to do.

OH and if you look at the Kcon site you can see where the meetings are but the May one as posted is in Eugene
July is scheduled for Salem(for now)
And both August meetings are posted for Portland, at the Hotel I will assume.

I hope to see you all at con!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:59:44 am by Kurokaizoku »
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline Squallity

• Chibi
    • swagbook
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:27 am »
I have never been to Kumoricon, so this is my first year, and I am really interested in volunteering. I posted in the "Kumoricon 2009 Volunteer & Staff Sign up" forum/thread, in case I would be needed and/or contacted for anything, but I was not really aware of what needed volunteers. Gaming sounds interesting, though, and I could definitely make it to the next meeting(s) that is/are in Portland.

I cannot find anyone to go with to the convention, so, when I go, I would just end up really just not doing anything, because I would not know what to do. Rather than being a lazy shy person who does nothing, I would really rather help assist the convention. I also would not really mind helping out, and for long periods of time, seeing as I would not have anywhere else to be. I can also make it to the downtown area in about thirty minutes by MAX from my house, and I have an alarm clock, so I could be on time.

I also posted in the "Kumoricon 2009 Volunteer & Staff Sign up" forum/thread that I am fifteen, and turning sixteen on August 30th, 2009, so I hope that that is not a problem.

I would really like to help, if it is possible, and I am needed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:26:53 am by Akesukeru »
DMC4 Dante @ Kumoricon 2011

【Yu-Gi-Oh! 2009 and 2010 | Devil May Cry 2010 and 2011】
2012: Something Dragon Age related, hopefully. ;)

Offline Ac-town

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 06:13:03 pm »
I'm also looking to help out. This will be my first year going to kumoricon. I also plan on making it to the meeting in Eugene on Sunday. Who should I talk to about helping out at the meeting?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 11:20:56 pm »
Ac-town, look for Rene (she typically has baby Vincent with her) or Jaki (Programming Director).

Akesukeru, I don't think there's a minimum age to Volunteer.  Minimum age to Staff is 16, meaning you should be clear for either, since you'll be 16 before the con.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:28 am »
we could really use some help in the yojimbo department. so far this year we are quite short
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12:40 pm »
I have never been to Kumoricon, so this is my first year, and I am really interested in volunteering. I posted in the "Kumoricon 2009 Volunteer & Staff Sign up" forum/thread, in case I would be needed and/or contacted for anything, but I was not really aware of what needed volunteers. Gaming sounds interesting, though, and I could definitely make it to the next meeting(s) that is/are in Portland.

I cannot find anyone to go with to the convention, so, when I go, I would just end up really just not doing anything, because I would not know what to do. Rather than being a lazy shy person who does nothing, I would really rather help assist the convention. I also would not really mind helping out, and for long periods of time, seeing as I would not have anywhere else to be. I can also make it to the downtown area in about thirty minutes by MAX from my house, and I have an alarm clock, so I could be on time.

I also posted in the "Kumoricon 2009 Volunteer & Staff Sign up" forum/thread that I am fifteen, and turning sixteen on August 30th, 2009, so I hope that that is not a problem.

I would really like to help, if it is possible, and I am needed.

I recommend signing up for staff if you are unsure about what to do @ con. We are getting a fair amount of gaming staff but we can use you probably. The more staff we have the easier it will go. The next portland meeting is in august. I hope you come to con staff/volunteer/attendee. A good thing to do would be to come to the meeting and meet some people and get a feel out.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline Squallity

• Chibi
    • swagbook
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:42 am »
I forgot to ask about these before, but I have a few questions. Should I pre-register now, just in case I am not accepted to work at the convention?

If I worked with gaming, would I be considered a volunteer, or staff?

What should I bring to the meeting in August, such as documents, like a Staff Registration Form?

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »
I forgot to ask about these before, but I have a few questions. Should I pre-register now, just in case I am not accepted to work at the convention?

If I worked with gaming, would I be considered a volunteer, or staff?

What should I bring to the meeting in August, such as documents, like a Staff Registration Form?

There is almost always a staff opening somewhere in the con. Gaming uses staff but if we need the help may ask for volunteers. Console gaming staff is full but our tabletop could use help. If you can make it to the July meeting you can find out which depts need staff the most and if one interests you, sign up. We should have the staff forms but you are welcome to print one and bring it filled out(just leave position(s) blank if you are open to anything) and talk with our directors.
But I actually read again that you need the portland meetings....well you can do as I suggested at the august meeting as well. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 05:45:35 pm »
Ker-Ap.  I was looking at the schedule and I just realized I won't be able to make it to the August 22nd meeting since I'll be in Tacoma for the NW Majors

V_v

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: Gaming Staff (still need tabletop!)
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »
There's another meeting earlier in August.  It's always preferred that as many people as possible show up for the final general meeting so we can get a clear idea of who will be at the con and we can all have faces to associate, but I don't think it's mandatory.

btw, I modified the heading and the content of the first post.  Rene, if you have anything else you'd like me to include, let me know via PM, text, or email.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »
Yeah, I know I'll be at the con, but I am going up to the Northwest Majors tournament in Tacoma.  Hopefully I'll be going to EVO'09 as well.  I just gotta talk to my parents about the whole "O Hey..yeah, just so you know I'm going to Vegas in a couple weeks.  It was a spur of the moment thing.  Can I have a lil help?" 

GGPO

Offline Squallity

• Chibi
    • swagbook
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 06:37:43 am »
Thank you so much, Kurokaizoku.  ;D Also, may I inquire as to what "tabletop" means/is?

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 01:53:08 am »
Tabletop refers to games played on 'tabletop' like card games/board games. Basically if it isnt electronic its tabletop....And that is how our gaming is split up. We have consoles in one room and Magic/other stuff(because I actually am not 100% on what else is in there). Hope that helps.

Any meetings you can make it to is better than nothing.
'11- Con Suite Manager