Author Topic: Angelic Days, anyone? (Eva prequel etc.)  (Read 3092 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Angelic Days, anyone? (Eva prequel etc.)
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:55:59 pm »

Never having seen or read any Neon Genesis Evangelion, I was seeking it out at my local library, and had to settle for what I could find, out of context....which was Angelic Days manga #5....with which I've totally fallen in love.
For those unfamiliar, it's about how Shinji's parents met....and it's really well done, and really sweet, and makes me really want to check out Eva...

But then I found Angelic Days 6 at the library, and instead of being a NGE prequel, it's apparently an NGE sequel....not about the battles but the love stories...of the kid pilots, as adults....and it's the last of the Angelic Days series....

So far I've only been able to read from the library manga # 10 of some kind of collector's edition version of NGE...turned out to have some direct relationship to AD#5...totally mesmerizing....already went back to try to get more but only found 1 & 2 and of a different, non-collectors-version series of NGE....

Given that this is THE anime (other, perhaps, than Lain) that I most consistently have been warned would warp my brain, you can only imagine I'm simultaneously excited and confused by jumping in out of order....

Anyway anyone randomly have or know of any fanworks about Angelic Days, particularly manga ep #5?
Anyone else a fan of these....or know what order makes sense to try to take everything in?
And are there really new movies coming out or that just came out?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline shademalek

• Cabbit
Re: Angelic Days, anyone? (Eva prequel etc.)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »
Watch the series first. Angelic Days is a fan work that was published and approved. It is based on an episode in the series that had a "What If?" scenario. the series is the BEST out there. Yes, it's very psychological. But it is AMAZING. The Angelic Days manga is good, but should be read after the series for additional "Wow" value. And yes, they are doing a "Rebuild of Evangelion" in theaters in Japan. They are redirecting and recutting the series with new material and compressing it into 4 movies.

Offline SpearXXI

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:10 pm »
I'm going to have to check out this show soon. I first have to get through Death Note and Trigun.... I know I'm a little late to the party. lol But I'm here and I can do the Microwave dance!

Offline shademalek

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »
I'm going to have to check out this show soon. I first have to get through Death Note and Trigun.... I know I'm a little late to the party. lol But I'm here and I can do the Microwave dance!

Honestly, this is my favorite anime of all time. It is pretty freaking amazing.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:25:50 am »
Evangelion is one of the best series I have ever seen. But be warned It has the best 24 eps. you will ever see and the 2 worst you will ever see. But I highly recommend seeing this.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:13:02 am »
Are the 2 worst at the beginning, middle, or end? It's the end of the series that everyone always tells me will have me flabbergasted....I kinda thought if I got to know the characters through what I imagined might be the manga equivalent of an OVA, then all the mind-numbing psycho-religious stuff wouldn't so much "scar me for life"....I had NO idea it was a fanwork! Amazing!
Are the new movies coming to the US?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »
I have told people in my "Anime that scarred me for life" panel that Eva is an amazing show, but the first 24 episodes are almost from another show, the last 2 take everything and completely turn it upside down. The movies don't make the show make any more sense, really. But for you being interested in Angelic days watch the show if you can or just start at Angelic days vol 1 and read from there.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:11:53 pm »
I have told people in my "Anime that scarred me for life" panel that Eva is an amazing show, but the first 24 episodes are almost from another show, the last 2 take everything and completely turn it upside down. The movies don't make the show make any more sense, really. But for you being interested in Angelic days watch the show if you can or just start at Angelic days vol 1 and read from there.

Thanks, everyone.....This morning I read Eva manga 3 and 4 of the old Viz version (so old that it read left to right). I went back to the library today, and the only manga they had that I hadn't already read are 8 & 9 of what seem to be yet another version of Eva altogether ...or at least another print run. They're Viz, but are in Japanese manga layout, and they don't say Collectors' Edition. The library does not seem to stock any other Angelic Days. They do have some, but not necessarily all, of the TV, and a movie called The End of Evangelion (something like that). I took out the first of the TV series. If I can find anyone to loan me 1-4 of Angelic Days, that would be awesome. The character development is way more interesting to me than the battles.

I'm going to try to translate the Hebrew superimposed over the Tree of Life image inside the manga cover of this new volume 8......

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:48:36 pm »
I dun' agree that you need to see the series to get this doujinshi because it's pretty self-contained.  The characters have different personalities and it doesn't fit in very well with the canon series.

That being said, the art is REALLY cute and I enjoyed it while I had it!  I ended up giving it away, though, because I didn't really find it to have a lot of re-read value.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »
I'm going to see if I can find the whole set anywhere....from the little bit I've read about the series, it seems far softer (thus more appealing to me)...Beau, I'm trying to remember...back in the Tunac days, wasn't there some series that we watched 2 versions of--one that was kinda serious and focussed on battles and one that was a romantic comedy riff version of it? Maybe it was called something like Full Metal Panic and FMP Fumafallo???