Author Topic: Welcome to the new forums!  (Read 7571 times)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Welcome to the new forums!
« on: December 19, 2004, 04:24:08 pm »
New forums are up, the only things that didn't copy over are rank titles and user registration dates.  To get access to staff forums, and your rank title, please PM me with your position and real name.

The structure of the forums has changed, partly for regular users, moreso for the staff.  As always, things are in flux as we fine-tune things, but overall things look to be doing well.

Overall things should work better now, and there should be less issues with problems that we had before, like e-mails, and registration.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 08:39:49 pm »
The other thing that didn't copy over are the PM messages.  In other words, my mailbox has been cleared.  (though personally, this isn't a problem)

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 01:06:17 pm »
I like the new forum style!  It looks really cute!

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 09:57:20 pm »
The format is tres slick.
I hope that we're not sticking with the color scheme though.
Naming our con after clouds is one thing but taking the theme into the forums is a little much. It looks like a doctor's office.

Also, there seems like there is going to be a bit more vertical scrolling in this version. Which is fine since we no longer have to worry about horizontal scrolling.

The one thing that actually saddens me though is the loss of user avatars.  :cry:

EDIT: I recant! All is forgiven! I just noticed the new post-count rankings!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 09:34:33 am »
Yeah, I lost a few settings that people will need to rebuild, but I managed to transfer most of everything else.  
As for the color scheme, I'll probably keep this one because it was the closest to the site's new color scheme.  I might do some minor editing once we start addind the graphics and artwork to the site.

You like the ranks? That was fun to set up.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 03:49:27 pm »
it looks good =^.^=
i give it 2 thumbs up

three cheers for Kumoricon!

ahem... anyways... good job.

umm... i must ask... why cant we use avatars?
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 11:35:54 pm »
Oh, I'd like to make a couple of requests and point a few things out...

First, I've had trouble staying logged in and logging in... seems that some of the settings are a little wack, and there isn't anywhere that says "logged in as ____", which I really miss...

Also, I kinda miss a left menu, but I guess I can live with the change... but on the other hand, if you're going to remove the left menu from the forums, can you at least add a link to the site's main page from the forums??

Also, it appears that threads started by guests were deleted with the transfer? I would like to point that out since I know that Guy never logs in and his threads were consequently deleted.

It seems that all of this must mean you had to create a new db for this forum, and I know what a pain in the a** importing data can be, so I forgive the imperfections. ;) Actually, given the circumstances I think you guys did a wonderful job and got things back up as they should rather quickly. I'm dreading having to do all of that w/my website.... especially since the portal I use now uses... *gulp* Access... *gag* I'm surprised it runs as well as it does honestly. I believe next year I'm going to be transferring the site OFF of the Windows server though and use MySQL on a Linux server instead. I also really hate using ASP. I never did care for VB though...

It seems that this will be much easier for you to maintain, I know I've heard more and more compaints about Nuke, so I don't blame you for making the switch.

I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything else.
Good luck w/the site!

Offline MikeJ1592

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 02:27:09 pm »
I think the new look is cool, I was glad I still remembered my username and password since the last time I had time to read the forums.  

I just wanted to say that thanks to the Kumoricon forums I met my current girlfriend at the Japan Fest a few months back, part reason I havent had a chance to check the forums in a while.

Got to get back to work, weeeeee.

Hope to see everyone at Sakuracon

MikeJ

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 08:02:40 am »
Yeah, the main reason we lost a lot of the settings, and things like posts by guests is because we had to not only transfer the database, but convert it away from PHPNuke's version of phpbb.  Things like avatars, private messages, and a few other tings didn't make it.

You should be able to use avatars, if not, then I'll have to figure that out.  Also, I'll work on fixing it so that the Kumoricon logo takes you back to the main page.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 03:11:16 am »
yeah... thats cool... yay avatars are working... i just had/have one more issue... the con pic up there... the white looks bad, im a fair hand at graphix so i made an attempt to fix it... i dont care if you use this pic or not but i feel better having made the attempt... i still dont like how the pic looks... but its not my place to say so... however... if you want a nice looking banner or somthing you can PM me and i will happily make ya one... but i know we've got a graphic person already right? so... meh... what ever happens... happens.

and i apologise to whomever is offended by my fixing up this pic... cuz im sure theres someone... ^.^"

http://usera.imagecave.com/Daystar/logo_phpBBcopy.gif
enjoy
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline Hige

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 12:12:16 pm »
Hey I think it's awsome!! could do better color wise tho
ひげ 馬
Cosplays 2010
Pirate France
Young Russia
Belarus
Canada
Possibly-Oz or Hungry
America depends on Jacket

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 03:44:55 pm »
The new forum's pretty nice, I acutally like the color, has cool, calm feel to it.

Offline Firkasa

• Sailor Scout
    • http://tundraflame.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 03:54:54 pm »
I agree with Aurora. The site has a nice feel to it. Its easy to navigate too.

Offline Hige

• Sailor Scout
Yeah
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 03:16:44 pm »
:D Yeah the color is pretty good to it's calm and doctor like lol But I do love the layout and easy navigation...*IT'S AWSOME*!!
ひげ 馬
Cosplays 2010
Pirate France
Young Russia
Belarus
Canada
Possibly-Oz or Hungry
America depends on Jacket

Offline Harddrive

• Oni
    • http://t3ngokuno.proboards24.com
Forums pretty.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 09:21:45 pm »
Hey, I just got here and this is the first thread I hopped on. Everything looks good. You get a gold star!
"I would like to refer to rule #7." ~Myself

Eric Paugh
epaugh@up.edu

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 02:01:50 am »
I went away and the whole look changed, but it's very nice.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]