Author Topic: This newbie had a great time today  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Charlatan

• Cabbit
This newbie had a great time today
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
Ahahahaha, wooow.

This year's Kumoricon is the first anime convention I've ever been to, even though I've been watching anime since I was 13. I had a BLAST today, even though I didn't get to see everything I had planned (Hey, at least there's another plushie tutorial/workshop tomorrow! BTW, how was the Phil Foglio/Girl Genius panel? What did Phil and Kaja talk about?)

EDIT: (P.S.: Mainly minor gripe---I was waiting in line for 2 hours for my pre-registered badge. :-\ ??? :o )

This is the most fun I've had in years! I never got to do anything like this back in Florida.

Memorable events for me:
-Sucking badly at "Busy Child" on DDR (to give you an idea of how bad the suck was, I was racking up MISS COMBOS.
-The Bleach cosplayer (dunno the character's name) with the GINORMOUS mallet. Where does she keep that thing when the con's not in session?
-The two guys cosplaying as Rio and Salem from Army of Two. Tough hombres!
-The guy cosplaying as the Demoman from Team Fortress 2, with secret crotch-mounted message.
-The guy cosplaying as the Weighted Companion Cube from Portal. All hail!
-The spin-the-bobble game/glomp pit out on the greens.
-A little kid in a Shinji Ikari outfit (which is perversely hilarious in its own way, the kid couldn't have been older than 10) joining in the bottle-glomp game, making a spin, walking over to someone and hugging them, which was quite possibly the most adorable thing to happen anywhere at the con today. :D
-One particular Shino cosplayer being singled out repeatedly for mass bum-rush glomping at said game.
-Finding Waldo. Several times. Once I found him cornered in the park by TONS of people with prop blades/guns/etc. Best photo I got all day, I think.
-Someone walks up to a clone trooper cosplayer and asks, "Found the droids yet?" The reply is, "Not the ones I'm looking for."
-Various people trying to practice the dance from the opening of Lucky Star.
-All the awesome stuff in the Dealer's Room.
-The Seras Victoria cosplayer toting a HUGE rifle. We're talking vampire-portable artillery here. Chances are you saw it yourself---it's kinda hard to miss.
-Having dinner at the Lloyd Center and watching as people barely bat an eye at people wearing outfits brightly colored enough to hail aircraft waltzing through the mall.
-Gladly obliging people wearing "GLOMP ME" shirts/signs.
-"My Zaku is talking to me!"
-The kid cosplaying as Yotsuba. Awwwwwww...
-Seeing multiple instances of girls dressed as Zelos Wilder from Tales of Symphonia (who is ironically a womanizer).
-The Joker pimp-walking around with Snow White and Harley Quinn latched onto him.
-EDIT: Goku on a skateboard. On an awesomeness scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate it OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!1one
-Finding out that one of the pawns in Monday's cosplay chess is going to be LEEEEROOOOOOOOOY JEEEEENKIIIIIIIINSSSS!!

There are more, but there's so many I can't remember them all.

Hahaha, I think I probably might try my hand at cosplay next year. My thoughts are...:

-Albert Wesker, Leon S. Kennedy, the ill-fated Brad Vickers, Hunk, or another Resident Evil character
-King Leonidas from 300 (I can think of few ways to be annoying than wearing little more than a loin cloth and yelling "THIS! IS! PORTLAAAAND!" at the top of my lungs. :P )
-Baird from Gears of War (He's the only character from the game that's built like me, everyone else is a brick)
-The space marine from the original DooM. BERSERKER-PACKING MAN AND A HALF! (You win pastries and some aspirin if you get that reference.)
-Combine MetroCop/Soldier/Elite from Half Life 2 (hilarious if I do volunteer duty).
-Bridget from Guilty Gear! :P I saw another guy dressed as "her" and the silliness of the idea is tempting. I'd be the deepest-voiced Bridget in the world, though... ;D
-Emil Castiglione(sp?) from Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World (I know that game isn't out yet, I don't care, it looks awesome :P)
-Colonel Kilgore from Apocalypse Now (Not anime, don't care, 'cause I still love the smell of napalm in the morning)
-EDIT: Rorsarch(sp?) from Alan Moore's "Watchmen"

I regret I didn't get to stay for the Slants concert---by 6:30 PM I was feeling dead and deader. :-\ Maybe next year I can get a room at the hotel.

Man, I feel...At home here. I know that sounds weird, but back in Florida...I didn't really have anything like this. But here I can be the extravagant goofball I am at heart and actually be LOVED for it.

Best. Labor Day weekend. EVER.

Arigato/Sayanora until tomorrow!
~Charlatan
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:42:37 pm by Charlatan »
This space for rent.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Re: This newbie had a great time today
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:31 am »
Glad you had fun!! Definitely shoot for a room at the hotel for next con it makes it a whole lot more fun!!  You have to stay for a dance next time!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:30:55 am »
-Someone walks up to a clone trooper cosplayer and asks, "Found the droids yet?" The reply is, "Not the ones I'm looking for."

haha that was me :) I asked him on a whim, best answer ever :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:11:40 pm »

haha that was me :) I asked him on a whim, best answer ever :)

**Loves**

**LOL at the 300 line above** Go for it!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:19:42 pm »
We're happy you had such a great time.  :-)
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline SpearXXI

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:37:03 pm »
It was my first anime convention too, and I had a blast, even though I haven't watched as much anime lately...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:11:25 pm »
My favorite newbie was the one affectionately referred to as "Team New Guy" in the trivia game at I'd Just As Soon Kiss A Wookie: A Star Wars Panel. He was hilarious, and really knew his stuff!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Charlatan

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:30:52 pm »
More silliness:

-The living chess game on day 3 was epic. Chii flinging panties with the apparent force of .45 bullets and getting people to hug her so that she could snap their necks (she's a dirty fighter!), a panty ninja, dogfights, a D.Gray-Man cosplayer LITERALLY dropping the hammer to dispense indiscriminate justice (that things apparently unwieldy) and actually making for a more epic fight as a result, the Army of Two cosplayers betraying their own team multiple times (well, they ARE mercenaries), the rise and fall of Leeroy Jenkins, the Black Knight having to make beeping noises as he tried to exit the room (REALLY BIG SHOULDERPADS), and me yelling "SIGN MY AUTOGRAPH!" at Ryuk who was carrying the Death Note.
-The 8-year-old Shinji cosplayer was apparently part of a family group including an equally chibi Yotsuba, the Pokemon trainer from Diamond/Pearl (dunno her name), and the daddy was going as a D.Gray-Man character with a BIG FREAKING GRIN. And I got a photo of the whole big bizarre family!
-I photographed THREE Alucards in the same spot. Beat THAT!
-Someone cosplaying as the Death Note. Not as a Death Note character, but as the Death Note book itself. You could sign inside and everything!
-Someone took a piece of paper, wrote "SAVE POINT!" on it, and stuck it on a wall. Suffice it to say I signed.
-You just lost the game. Again.
-A very big flatscreen TV playing the original Mega Man X on an SNES while the noticeably smaller TV next to it was playing Halo 3. Irony! ;D

So many things I can't remember them all. I'll have more interesting stuff once I get my photos developed!
This space for rent.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »
My favorite newbie was the one affectionately referred to as "Team New Guy" in the trivia game at I'd Just As Soon Kiss A Wookie: A Star Wars Panel. He was hilarious, and really knew his stuff!

I LOVED HIM. I wish I would've like...gotten his name or email or something because he was beyond awesome.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:05 pm »

I LOVED HIM. I wish I would've like...gotten his name or email or something because he was beyond awesome.

Hopefully he'll have joined the forums, see this, and write back?

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:02:58 am »
All I can say is that the original mega man X deserves that big flat screen TV way more than Halo 3 will. Also, I'm also glad that you had fun at the con, I think I talked more at this con than all three of the cons before this one. I don't like losing tournaments but I had so much fun I didn't mind at all getting fifth...I guess our band, Pikachu's Rotting Carcass, got second though. I also agree to aim for a room, nothing better than going to the room at about 3AM just to wake up at 8 and have more fun.(although my drive home is about 4 hours) Hopefully you'll have just as much fun next year, also there's a con called Mew-con you might want to check out. Sakura-con is good but it's in Seattle.

Offline averith

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 12:21:57 am »
-The Bleach cosplayer (dunno the character's name) with the GINORMOUS mallet. Where does she keep that thing when the con's not in session?

In the all-powerful mallet-space where all the objects that such characters use to punish d00ds of unl33t nature with are stored.

Hope all you guys are having fun at the con, I'm stuck at home making plans for college.

Next year, mebbe? >>

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:02 am »
All I can say is that the original mega man X deserves that big flat screen TV way more than Halo 3 will.

Actually, a CRT tube TV will display Mega Man X properly whereas the big flat screen will not. Old game consoles including the SNES output 240p video (progressive-scan) for the vast majority of games. A CRT tube TV natively displays this correctly whereas most LCD TVs don't. Although an LCD panel theoretically could, the video processors in most TVs treat this input incorrectly as 480i (interlaced), attempt to deinterlace it, and you get slight bobbing/shimmering around areas in motion.

I know we are fans of the old classic games but in all seriousness, the old consoles should get the CRT TVs where they are best displayed, and then the new consoles get to use the high resolution TVs as well.

I brought to the gaming room a video->VGA converter which properly converts 240p video to VGA output (this is the X-RGB-2+, if anybody is wondering, a rare video processor released only in Japan and no longer in production, which was designed specifically for older consoles), so that it would look correct on the LCD TVs. I don't think it was ever unpacked or used, though.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53:28 am »
I don't think it was ever unpacked or used, though.
This is the sadness :(  I love the old consoles would have been nice to go in the gaming room and break out some super metroid
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:20 am »

Hopefully he'll have joined the forums, see this, and write back?

He better, he loved Mulan!
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!