Author Topic: Furries at K-con?  (Read 38465 times)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
Re: Furries at K-con?
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:06 pm »
I suppose part of the issue is the definition of furry.  To me, a furry is someone who dresses up like an animal for personal enjoyment/fetish reasons and not because it's a cool costume or a character they like.  If someone self-identifies to me as a furry, I'm going to assume there's a sexual aspect to it, because that's the impression I've gotten about the subculture and about the way the term is normally used.  If you just like anthro art, you're not a furry.

It's the difference between crossdressing and transvestitism.  Crossdressers dress like the opposite sex because they enjoy it.  Transvestites do it because they get a sexual thrill from it.  I don't care if someone enjoys transvestitism--that's cool with me.  However, I prefer not to be around people who are getting their rocks off in whatever way they get them.  If I wanted to be around a bunch of people pursuing sexual thrills, there are parties I can go to for that.  It's not what I go to con for, though.

To me, "furry" carries the sexual fetish aspect with it.  If someone is a furry but it's not a fetish for them, maybe there needs to be a different word for the non-fetish furries.  I don't care about other people's fetishes, but I prefer not to be surrounded by them at con.*  Enjoy (general) your fetishes, by all means!  Just don't involve me in them/expose me to them without my prior knowledge or consent.

*Unless it's like, Fetish-Con or something.  Which would probably be a scary, scary place.

I think Fizz has hit the nail on the head, as far as what Joe Middleclass thinks out there.  It is unfortunate that that is the vision of "Furry" that is prevalent  I am with Acton when it comes to the actual definition

First I tired quickly of sweeping generalizations of furry fandom. It obvious
There is very little knowledge what a furry is except for logical fallacies and hearsay of others.  A furry is a fan of anthropomorphism, no more no less. To associate all fursuts as sexual fetish is thing more that blatant sweeping generalization.  I been to two furry cons and Kumoricon is my first Anime con. I have to say I seen more tail and ears at Kumoricon than any furry con. As for costuming, I say the ratio of costumed attendees (Cosplay/ Fursuiting) is much higher at Kumoricon than any furcon. I did my own count while bored; I say the ratio approached 3:1   (cosplayer : attendee) to a fury con where the ratio is never goes above 3:10 (fursuiters and including accessories: attendee). Furthermore, I could add the number of attendees carrying plushies of once sort or another. For the level of sexual fetish publicly displayed, I say zero at both or I would been running out of con hotel. As well being an Anime fan, a Furry I am Christian that has very little tolerance of immorality displayed.  Finally seems racy cosplay, and Henti is not a problem but a fusuit that can worn at a children’s party is  major problem and speaks of ones ignorance and hypocrisy.

For a fairly acurate portrayal of Furry Fandom and the definition of "Yiff" look at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Like Acton I come into the anime fandom from the furry fandom.  My wife is, for lack of a better definition, a furry artist.  In fact, she is a well known one.  We even had a table at a couple of the ConiFur NW cons.  Plug for my wifes site

http://spleger.home.comcast.net/~spleger/

I started getting interested in anime when my daughter did.  I wasn't a real fan of Japanese animation until 1999 or so.  I think that is when a saw a sub of Princess Mononoke playing at a fur con and got hooked.  Think I also saw Animalimpics that year, and maybe Rock & Rule.  I do remember I spent a lot of time watching shows like ThunderCats and Samurai Pizza Cats.  Anyways, Back in the early to mid 90's "Furry" meant quite a different thing.  There was a strong participation of what you all call Yaoi, at these conventions.  I don't remember any obvious "Yiffing"  At least not any worse than say going into a "Gay" bar.  The majority of the artists were asked to portray the client as some animal.  Often a avatar type character, that they used as an on-line personna, or character in an RPG they were active in  "Draw me as a big white tiger wearing chain mail and carrying a claymore",  "Draw me as a fox with yellow curly hair and a big red ribbon",  "I want a drawing of a purple skunk, really sexy pose, with blue eyes."  You get the idea.  My wife made a fair amount at these cons drawing this sort of thing.  She still does commision work from home.  Anyway, I didn't see anything terribly offensive about these cons.  They did have a X-Rated section.  No young adults allowed,  Not really any worse than Hentai films in my opinion. Just add bunny ears or cat ears to all the girls. and have them being tormented buy the same kind of demon monsters you see in some of the extreme hentai, with tentacles and stuff.  I think the best known artist for this was Steve Martin.   He is over PG-13 so no links here.  The stuff that my wife didn't want to handle often got sent his way.  His booth was just him and a computer showing a slideshow of his stuff.  About three or four notebooks of his work with prices of each piece on the plastic sleeve, and 15 plastic bins of printed material that matched each image.  The man himself looks very normal.  I have never seen him in any form of cosplay gear.  Same is true for most of the people in the dealer areas.  He could have just walked in off the street.  I won't say that I didn't see some individuals that wierded me out.  I did see one guy who had painted stripes all over his body, so he looked like some sort of tigerman.  Of course I have also seen Man-Faye and Man-Winry, as well as the Man-Chi (reppy), who posted earlier in this thread.  I don't think I was any less weirded out by them.  All I can say is that, you would have to pay me a lot of money to do the same thing in a public place.

I have stated that I have worked at a fur con and that my wife sells furry art.  Are we furry?  Probably just as much as Walt Disney and the Bros Warner.  I, like most of my generation, grew up watching "furry" cartoons, or as Wikipedia calls them "funny animals".  I am sure that most of you out there reading this can say the same if you think about it.  Does Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, Tiny Toons, TMNT, ring any bells?  All of these shows are anthropomorphic and thus "Furry", so if you enjoyed watching them you are a furry by default.  Back in the 80's that was what being a furry meant.  The same as all the people who watch DBZ, Naruto, InuYasha, and Sailor Moon are anime fans.  No real difference.

Furry Lifestylers - This is the title given to your "Yiffer" croud that so many find objectionable, including other furries by the way.  I would say that the percentage of lifestylers that show at a fur con is far below that of the percentage of Yaoi/Yuri individuals that show up at an anime con.  They are also much less obvious about it.

Fursuiters - Fursuiters are the master cosplayers of a fur con.  These are the people who go all out to recreate their on-line persona as a real one.  Many of these individuals have on-line comics or websites that they portray their character in.  Often it is their own creation.  They may spend 100's of dollars to create a fursuit or mascot to represent themselves.  Sometimes this is a form of advertising.  Some of the best professional fursuiters are the people who make mascot costumes for football games or theme parks.  Here are a couple that should be familiar to you:

Hmm.. A female Beaver named Bernice with her new husband Benny.  Bernice often appeared in her wedding dress and Benny in a tux.  No sexual innuendo implied here.  This is of course at a football game in front of thousands of fans.

To be fair I will throw in this guy as well: 

Are you wierded out by Mickey Mouse, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy when you are at Disneyland?  How about the Beast, from beauty and the Beast, or Sully from Monsters Inc.?

As the father of the Silver the Hedgehog at the last K-con I can tell you that making one of these suits is no easy task.  My daughter is by no means a furry lifestyler either.  She is a major Sonic the Hedgehog nut though.  Very well known in those circles as Rally-the-cheetah.  This is a cheetah girl who lives in Sonics world, and who my daughter created for her Mary Jane style fansubs and doujinshi .  Not sure if you can call them furry or anime.  Actually I will let Rem worry about that sort of thing.  She is the one who has to read them.

Here are some interesting links.  Here is an article about furries and furverts.  Shows a fair cross section:
http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/2001/041201/cover.html

I also think it would be nice to put up a furry webcomic,  Here is the award winning Kevin & Kell:
http://www.kevinandkell.com/

Thought I would also put in Vicki Fox, since my wife did a lot of the art for this web comic:
http://www.vickifox.com/Comics/index.php

I thought I would close with the following image.  What is it they say.  A picture is worth a thousand words:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:22:15 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline ArtMage

• Cabbit
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 03:38:09 am »
Hey, um I’m the Akamaru fursuiter that’s been at a few of cons. I love fursuiting and I’m one of those people that simply can’t find a cosplay in human form that they can pull off. I’m also very self-conscious about my appearance (while I have been reassured by quite a few people about my looks I just have low self-esteem). Anyway in my own twisted logic I feel more socially excepted when I fursuit because I normally receive positive reinforcement by on lookers and other cosplayers.

MistressLegato, I am truly sorry for frightening you such emotions should not be felt at an anime convention. I am fully aware of how unnatural my suit’s appearance is (Akamaru only having slits for eyes). And if I did in fact scare you and approached you more than once it’s simply for the fact that my vision is obscured while in costume and I can’t really tell one person from another. And if I did try to hug you I’m sorry I’m just normally very sociable when in costume.

You should not be accused of bashing simply for stating a phobia and asking a question.

(P.S. While I am technicaly a furry I’m not into that kind of stuff (ie yiffing). So I prefer the term fursuiter as aposed to furry and I think some others do as well. I am sorry though there is no proper terminology for furs)

Offline UselesswizarD

• Cabbit
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:42 pm »
I enjoy furry and I'd be glad to see more furries at K-con.  I'm not into the 18+ yiffy stuff, but I've not problem with "furryizing" anime characters or fursuiting.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
Okay, seriously. It doesn't matter what the hell someone is into, it doesn't matter whether or not they're wearing a big blue cat suit in lingerie a la CSI. No matter what, the people under the masks are just that, people too. I personally admire the people able to do costumes like that, regardless of what they do behind a closed door with a sock on the handle.

But the intolerance and general hatred towards furries that I've seen is just plain appalling to me. At a photoshoot, several of my friends were wearing tails they had gotten in the Dealer's Hall. Someone else at the shoot had the gall to begin ranting to someone close by about "the g0dd@mn furf@*$" and how they were ruining the convention. To me, this just doesn't seem acceptable. I'm not asking that people curtail their feelings on a subject simply because they're in a public place, oh no. I'm asking that they do it because it's common courtesy.

My dad told me (after he was told by a staff member) that there were upwards of eight thousand people at that con. While it's a small space, that's at least 7,999 OTHER people to talk to, hang out with, make friends with. If you don't like someone, don't bother them. An anime convention is fair game for any kind of costume. Anyone else run into the crazy Dr. Who? Battlestar Galactica cosplayers? The Joker with the peacebonded pencil? While you wouldn't see as many of those people at a Sci-Fi convention, or a Star Trek convention, or a comic book convention, there would still be the odd person that would dress up as Q to go to Comicon. There would be the odd Col. Cameron Mitchell getting a picture with Vic Mignoga dressed as Captain Kirk. Aizen and Xemnas could be checking out corsets at the local Ren Faire, for all you know.

In the end, does what you want to dress up as really matter? Anime cosplay is not required at a convention.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »
Hey, um I’m the Akamaru fursuiter that’s been at a few of cons. I love fursuiting and I’m one of those people that simply can’t find a cosplay in human form that they can pull off. I’m also very self-conscious about my appearance (while I have been reassured by quite a few people about my looks I just have low self-esteem). Anyway in my own twisted logic I feel more socially excepted when I fursuit because I normally receive positive reinforcement by on lookers and other cosplayers.

MistressLegato, I am truly sorry for frightening you such emotions should not be felt at an anime convention. I am fully aware of how unnatural my suit’s appearance is (Akamaru only having slits for eyes). And if I did in fact scare you and approached you more than once it’s simply for the fact that my vision is obscured while in costume and I can’t really tell one person from another. And if I did try to hug you I’m sorry I’m just normally very sociable when in costume.

You should not be accused of bashing simply for stating a phobia and asking a question.

(P.S. While I am technicaly a furry I’m not into that kind of stuff (ie yiffing). So I prefer the term fursuiter as aposed to furry and I think some others do as well. I am sorry though there is no proper terminology for furs)

Awww, you're too nice!  Nobody at this con approached me or anything.  I was just curious and wanted to let people know I wasn't just being biased about nothing.  I'm genuinely freaked out, but I'm sure there are people genuinely freaked out about me being a blood covered nurse XD

@ Lt Com. Richie

It doesn't matter to EVERYONE what you wear, but I've always, personally, thought it was a bit weird and out of the ordinary to see Harry Potter, or Captain Kirk at an anime and Japanese culture festival because it's got nothing to do with either.

We actually had somebody come to out artist's table, ask if we had any Harry Potter fanart and turn their nose up and walk off when we said "No."  They didn't bother to look at anything else.  I was a bit surprised, as it isn't a Harry Potter con . . .
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
But that's the thing, a convention may have a genre that it mostly adheres to, but some people go to conventions just because they're conventions. There were an insane amount of amazingly awesome Jedi cosplayers at this year's Sakuracon, and that's an anime convention. And technically, shouldn't all the Final Fantasy cosplayers, all the Kingdom Hearts cosplayers, all the Guilty Gear cosplayers and all the TWEWY cosplayers stick to video game conventions?

Face it, if you're going to an anime convention, don't let anything surprise you. Freaking out because there's a video game invading your anime doesn't really make a good base for the whole weekend, does it?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:14 pm »
Most of those video games are JAPANESE, making it fit in with the Japanese culture part of the con.

I'm just saying IMHO it should be about Japan and anime and things that are Japanese.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:52 pm »
Star Wars and Star Trek have both been made into manga (the Star Wars set is really good), and Harry Potter has quite a bit of doujin associated with it. All are huge in Japan. Check Tenchi Muyo or Negima if you need varification.

Subculture conventions shouldn't discriminate, no matter what the official name on the con is. Elitism and clique-ish behavior sucks all the fun out of it. To me, it's not a convention until Darth Vader shows up. I made sure to tell him that when I saw him too.

I don't have much of an opinion on furry culture myself. I admire the work that must go into those costumes. I'm not overly fond of full-on fursuit cosplay because mascot heads freak me out. Any full on mascot head. I was scared of the crash test dummies at my school's safety fair. (Disneyland is not the happiest place on earth for me.)
I'd like to make a Panda-Genma and have one of my taller friends wear it. Might help me get over my irrational fear, since I'd know the person inside the head.

If I can see at least part of your face I'm cool: prosthetics, makeup, I use that stuff in my own costumes. And I could really care less what turns you on if you're at least quiet about it. Well-behaved fursuiter trumps screaming yaoi fan any day of the week for me, and none of the fursuiters I've run into have been obnoxious.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »
Most of those video games are JAPANESE, making it fit in with the Japanese culture part of the con.

I'm just saying IMHO it should be about Japan and anime and things that are Japanese.

The gist is it is  not your decision what should be at a con or not. If you cannot  handle it, one less attendee of 4000  is not going to hurt anything.
I dare to say what happen at a con is more Americanized than Japanese, this coming from somebody who was station in Japan in the 80's
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:34:07 pm by acton »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »
Live and let live, seriously this really shouldn't be an issue. If anyone, whether costumed in any manner or not, is sexually inappropriate towards any other congoer, this is an issue for Yojis and/or Hotel Security and/or police depending on the nature of the situation. If anyone, whether costumed or not, is simply doing their thing, not physically bothering anyone, but somehow offending your aesthetic sensibilities, well, that's your problem, so just let it go and move on. If it helps for someone to make a point to let you know that they're a fur-suiter rather than a furrie if somehow that means that they are not sexualizing their costume or whatever, that's great, but no one owes anyone else that personal degree of information, so long as whatever works for them, they're not showing you that it works for them overtly in public. I mean seriously how far would someone take this. Like if you absolutely can't stand crossplay then it's okay for you to do but if you enjoy it, maybe even like the flirting that you get when you're in it, maybe are even TS/TG/TV, then you're not allowed to do it because someone might get offended? ....Ok, rant over, I just personally think the more the merrier in terms of diversity of ways of people expressing their fandoms, so long as within con rules for attire and decorum. And I'm definitely NOT into having ANY set guidelines of what fandoms are acceptable at ANY con nor for any kind of Japan litmus test.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).