Author Topic: Banned Costumes/Cosplay?  (Read 67422 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Banned Costumes/Cosplay?
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
So another character--Akio Ohtori. He's a manipulator, a sexual predator, and given what he did to his sister in the movie, one would think he'd be controversial. But he's not. Why is that?

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
    • Jailbreak Designs / Photography
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2008, 03:08:55 pm »
Except that Pedobear is *also* not a real person (or real bear).

Sure, in certain situations the jokes may be funny, but that does not excuse the joke to be said anywhere/anytime. *shrug*

Not everyone will find a joke funny. you can't please everyone.  In my PedoBear outfit I asked if I could come out at the 18+ events or after hours when minors were not permitted.  I would think that PG13 would not apply.. the answer was FIRMLY.. "NO!"  no budging, no give at all. no negotiations.
Since it seems that the prime example is the innocent looking PedoBear outfit, picture Below, than I will give my opinion on the matter. Being a frequent lurker on the image board where PedoBear is seen often, and thoroughly studying PedoBear for the costume.. I have seen that he only APPEARS when things become questionable.. But never really instigates it.  I'm sure differing opinions may come, but atleast I have the outfit to back up my theory. :P
I think how questionable content at Kumoricon should be handled is something along the lines of, "Your cosplay is deemed too inappropriate for prime, daytime use.  You may wear it later on when the minors are not around, or not at all."

Am I alone in this, or does the consesus say "NO! A FINE LINE MUST BE DRAWN AND NO NEGOTIATING!"  
Just like when your a child and somebody says, "it is done this way and only this way."  Did you ask, "Why?" or did you just follow orders?

I think talking about things makes more progress then just being barked orders and expected to follow them.. and I believe I made some people uncomfortable at the con trying to ask why and see if there was a mutual solution.

PS: SpearXXI, were you the photographer with the Turks Coffee vest?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:11:57 pm by ZombieFace »

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »
Except that Pedobear is *also* not a real person (or real bear).

Sure, in certain situations the jokes may be funny, but that does not excuse the joke to be said anywhere/anytime. *shrug*

Not everyone will find a joke funny. you can't please everyone.  In my PedoBear outfit I asked if I could come out at the 18+ events or after hours when minors were not permitted.  I would think that PG13 would not apply.. the answer was FIRMLY.. "NO!"  no budging, no give at all. no negotiations.

Ok, think of it this way. 18+ panels are such because of the content the United States declares not fit for minors under 18. Is the idea of pedophilia ok for ANY age? NO. I agree with the con here. If we are going to ban a costume for pedophilia than it needs to be banned all around.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline SpearXXI

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2008, 03:36:55 pm »

PS: SpearXXI, were you the photographer with the Turks Coffee vest?

No, I only took one photograph at the con, and it was on my cell phone. lol

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2008, 03:44:44 pm »
Ok, think of it this way. 18+ panels are such because of the content the United States declares not fit for minors under 18. Is the idea of pedophilia ok for ANY age? NO. I agree with the con here. If we are going to ban a costume for pedophilia than it needs to be banned all around.

Since pedophilia isn't the act, you're advocating punishment for thought crime. This allows for segregation of anyone who doesn't think with "proper" means. If you think it's limited to people being a pedophile, remember that not too long ago people were big into killing people that might be from a different religion.

That's double-plus ungood :(

This thread makes me sad, one side refuses to listen to the arguments of a joke and think of it as a real live creature, the other side points out glaring holes in the argument and gets no intelligent feedback or comments (barring one or two).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:49:15 pm by XFD »

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:34 pm »

Since pedophilia isn't the act, you're advocating punishment for thought crime.

That's double-plus ungood :(

This thread makes me sad, one side refuses to listen to the arguments of a joke and think of it as a real live creature, the other side points out glaring holes in the argument and gets no intelligent feedback or comments (barring one or two).

this comment is double-plus good.

orwell ftw.

there was an earlier comment stating i was.." an idiot" and another saying "you do know that the creep in the Pedobear outfit".. I am obviously a horrible person because i dressed as a bear.
I found fanfic art of Card Captor Sakura Kero... Doing inexplicable things!  ...do you see where this is going?

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline Horse-Man

• Cabbit
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »
And yet Horse Man didn't get the boot? That costume was, according to my lunch lady (who knows the guy under the mask, small world huh?) originally supposed to be PonyStalker of 4chan fame. I understand that Pedobear should/could/had better be friggin' banned, but then why not put the boot on all the animal-themed 4chan memes? They're all just as bad. As XFD said, some of those things can be seriously freaking wierd, disgusting and overall just not child-appropriate.

*cough cough*

I don't know who your lunch lady is, but Horse Man isn't themed after some stupid 4chan meme.

The original Pony-Stalker came from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. He gave girls pony tails, and said "pony pony pony"

Horse Man was an accidental costume, that turned into a really fun time for most people involved. Look into a series of short films called "RABBITS" to see where parts of the character came from. Also, Donnie Darko's Frank was inspirational.

Just because I wore a damn horse mask doesn't mean that I was from 4chan. Horse Man is Horse Man, and that's all.

I don't need 4chan to be creative for me.
I'm Horse-Man

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2008, 03:55:11 pm »
And yet Horse Man didn't get the boot? That costume was, according to my lunch lady (who knows the guy under the mask, small world huh?) originally supposed to be PonyStalker of 4chan fame. I understand that Pedobear should/could/had better be friggin' banned, but then why not put the boot on all the animal-themed 4chan memes? They're all just as bad. As XFD said, some of those things can be seriously freaking wierd, disgusting and overall just not child-appropriate.

*cough cough*

I don't know who your lunch lady is, but Horse Man isn't themed after some stupid 4chan meme.

The original Pony-Stalker came from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. He gave girls pony tails, and said "pony pony pony"

Horse Man was an accidental costume, that turned into a really fun time for most people involved. Look into a series of short films called "RABBITS" to see where parts of the character came from. Also, Donnie Darko's Frank was inspirational.

Just because I wore a damn horse mask doesn't mean that I was from 4chan. Horse Man is Horse Man, and that's all.

*bows to horse man*

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2008, 03:55:44 pm »

Because I would like to put something positive into this thread, your cosplay confused the crap out of me but was loads of fun. Thanks for being random, its what makes these cons fun for me.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2008, 04:16:11 pm »
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DID YOU READ THE POSTS AFTER THAT? I already figured out it was from the wrong thing! I was mistaken. No need to get pissy. I said I was sorry.

@ Mistress Legato: I never suggested that Kira was as offensive as Hitler or Stalin. I compared him to another fictional character, and another, and another. I would never DREAM of saying that. There is a very definitive line between real life and fantasy, and some people just get angry when someone cosplays something that stands for a very real issue.

Alright, you know what, I'm out of here. I think we're all basically agreeing here. No Pedobear, keep the con clean, all that.

Offline Horse-Man

• Cabbit
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2008, 04:18:42 pm »
Sunday night, I walked down to the soda machine in the hotel on our floor, and I didn't have enough change, but I had a five, so I decided to knock on a door where I heard people. I got into character, then knocked. I ended up getting my change, and talking to these people for a while. It led to me talking to people from 3 different rooms. At one point, one of their friends came back from the con, and saw me standing by the room with all the other people staring at his reaction and laughing. He said, "WTF Is this some sort of joke that I just don't get?"

Yes.

That's exactly it.

It was supposed to be funny and random, and it worked well.
I'm Horse-Man

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »

The Non-Canon Pairings panel was 18+ and no one can figure out why because we never got into detail nor did we ever intend to.

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2008, 05:04:39 pm »

It was supposed to be funny and random, and it worked well.

My only thing I was really hoping for was to wear my PedoBear costume to the Random Internet Panel that has previously been at KumoriCon.. I saw you Horse Man. It was random and fun. Would you have been upset if people had assumed you were what was mentioned earlier in the thread and said to remove it?

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2008, 05:13:34 pm »

Alright, you know what, I'm out of here. I think we're all basically agreeing here. No Pedobear, keep the con clean, all that.

I think you miss the purpose of this thread. Please go back and reread if necessary.. I find it mildly offensive that you assume that because you are leaving you get to make 'final judgment' on the indirect topic.

apparently this thread is SRS BSNS.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. I'm not very forum elite. XD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 05:14:40 pm by ZombieFace »

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »
lol! I just about died when I saw the Pony guy from FMP! xD Then I got freaked out when he walked at me all "Pony pony pony!" cuz I look terrible in pony tails xP

okay on another note i know for sure MANFEY IS BANNED!....or I strongly pray he is... O___O

Offline Ayumu

• Cabbit
    • My LJ. Friends-Locked cause I'm a noob : (
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2008, 09:05:49 pm »
Ack, Horse-Man! I had NO idea what you were from, but you sure creeped me out! (in a good way, hahaha!) Well done  ;)
Co-host of "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" and "Wapanese for Weeaboos"

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »

I think you miss the purpose of this thread. Please go back and reread if necessary.. I find it mildly offensive that you assume that because you are leaving you get to make 'final judgment' on the indirect topic.

I posted what I knew of other banned costumes and I am done with this thread too. I added one of the only other banned costumes known to people on this fourm so I believe I followed what this topic origonally stood for. It now seems to continue disscusing Pedo bear and I am done with it as well. This thread just makes me angry now. The idea/concept of pedophilia related cosplays makes me feel sick. I am very open minded about most things but any form of pedophilia (joke, related, etc) is still plain NOT ok. I have MANY reasons for feeling the way I do and NONE of them are your buisness, If this tread does not stop discussing pedo bear I will report it. Jeff allready closed it once for the same reason
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2008, 10:58:17 pm »
Requesting this thread to be locked permanently.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:58:37 pm by TanisNikana »

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:22 pm »
Requesting this thread to be locked permanently.

Seconding.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2008, 11:25:20 pm »
If people would get over the pedobear thing already, I think it's a good idea to discuss what is/isn't allowed.  I asked in posts WAY back whether or not nude suits should be banned, but everyone's all up in arms over pedobear that no serious discussion can take place.

Pedobear can't be allowed at night because, as was mentioned earlier, anyone taking a picture of that and affiliating it with the con could get us hella shut down.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2008, 12:06:16 am »
I am going to lock this thread because, really, there is not more to say than has already been said.  It has gotten very off-topic. 

Also, babysitting this thread has been very time consuming for mods.  I, personally, have lots of other con-related work to do.  If someone really feels to need to discuss this further with me, then PM me. 

@Mistress Legato, nude suits seem to be currently ok.  I saw one that kept giving me double takes, though.

At the end of the day, the line between PG-13 and not PG-13 is very subjective.  This is not something we take lightly.  The request for the emailer to not come to our con dressed as PedoBear was not arbitrary.  It was a very involved discussion and the emails were shown to people with police and advanced security training.  One angry parent or media report can end a convention, permanently.  We ask that people work with us to make the con safe and minor friendly, and not against us.  We want adult space, too.  To pull off the balancing act of having child, minor and adult space can only be done if people aren't trying to cross lines that we set. 

We are all unpaid volunteers who do this for the love of it.  We do our best to make this all work.  We try to accomidate as many diverse groups as possible, but we can't be all things to all attendees.

Feel free to PM me if you really feel the need to discuss this further.  Flames, antagonistic messages and questions I feel I have already answered I will ignore. 

I was really happy to see some interesting discussions on this topic. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp