Author Topic: DBZ Fanfic - Breaking Point  (Read 23282 times)

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
DBZ Fanfic - Breaking Point
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:45:36 pm »
I just wanted to post this, because at the fanfic beadtime stories, very little of it actually got read. Since it did win an award, I figured some of the members would like to read it and see why.

It's zipped to save size, so you'll need winzip to unzip and wordpad to read.

Please feel free to read and post your thoughts.

This is the pre-Rem version (she has alot of stuff to talk to me about, and says there are some typos here and there). I hope people won't be too harsh on it, considering that it is a DBZ fanfic.

I wrote the first version of this back when DBZ was still one of my favorite fandoms, and, because it was, I learned everything I could about it. So, I used alot of that knowledge in writing this, so it should feel like a pretty accurate fic.

I wanna add a forwarning. This starts of ok, but does turn dark. There is death and alot of angst involved. So if you do not like those, please do not read. If ya do, read on. ^__^

I hope you'll all enjoy my DBZ fanfic, Breaking Point.

FIC NO LONGER AVALIABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:30:52 pm »
eek...thanks for the reminder, dustin. i do not have long distance on my home phone, but if you do, call me sometime (i'll pm you the number).

to clarify: the award dustin's piece won was "best backstory". of all this year's contestants, dustin went to the most impressive effort to explicate not only how his piece would fit in with and/or differ from the canon, but what it meant to him personally. as one who frequently betas fics from fandoms with which i am not familiar, i consider how well an author can contextualize her or his piece to be one of the most important criteria in evaluating a fic.

way to go, dustin!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 08:21:45 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
eek...thanks for the reminder, dustin. i do not have long distance on my home phone, but if you do, call me sometime (i'll pm you the number).

to clarify: the award dustin's piece won was "best backstory". of all this year's contestants, dustin went to the most impressive effort to explicate not only how his piece would fit in with and/or differ from the canon, but what it meant to him personally. as one who frequently betas fics from fandoms with which i am not familiar, i consider how well an author can contextualize her or his piece to be one of the most important criteria in evaluating a fic.

way to go, dustin!

Thanks again, Ellen! :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 06:21:06 pm »
you're more than welcome. any new stories you're working on hon? i'm hoping you'll want to be an official fanfic programming volunteer, btw!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 07:25:10 pm »
you're more than welcome. any new stories you're working on hon? i'm hoping you'll want to be an official fanfic programming volunteer, btw!

I am floating around some ideas.

Including one of a fanfic that has a crossover AMV. An idea I don't think has ever been done before. :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 01:14:23 pm »
i've seen crossover amv's--my favorite being "tainted donuts," in which the bebop cowboys are chasing vash the stampede for the $60,000,000 double dollar bounty.

i've read cross-over fics.

but am i understanding you correctly: you would compose a fanfic, then create an amv of the plot of your own fanfic?! that would be stupendous!

if i'm misunderstanding, please clarify!

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 09:21:47 pm »
I am thinking of creating a AMV, thats comes with a Fanfic, which, when read after viewing the AMV would you a greater insight into the meaning of the AMV and story, overall, that I am trying to portray.

So, yeah, I believe you got the just of it. :D

It's still a work in progress, so right now I have nothing actually done. I am coming up with ideas, but I don't have alot of time. I am helping a friend with a cosplay, so, yeah. :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:12:44 pm »
brilliant idea! perhaps, if there were enough interest, we could talk to guy (who runs the amv contest and is a good friend) and see if he might be interested in a special award category of best companion piece for an amv or something like that

Offline Oubeji

• Chibi
    • http://oubeji.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 03:34:28 am »
DBA fanfic!? *starts dling* Must....read....(*_*) *DBZ fanatic*
-A.I-

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 02:18:28 am »
Quote from: "Oubeji"
DBA fanfic!? *starts dling* Must....read....(*_*) *DBZ fanatic*

I do hope you enjoy it, aswell as not hurt me for the ending. :D

Fangirls can be scary when they read fanfics, and hate the outcome.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 12:14:30 am »
I was expecting some comments on this along time ago.

I guess it wasn't that great, as people tend not to comment on things they dislike for fear of hurting peoples feelings.

....or I am just overthinking things.

Please leave some sort of feedback.

Should I keep writing, or give up?

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 06:00:27 pm »
Heh, don't give up! People are just a tad busy due to the holidays. I know I haven't gotten around to reading much of anything during the past few weeks...

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 04:59:34 am »
Since I recently uploaded this fic to Fanfiction.net, I'd like to post the link in case anyone wanted to read it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2500204/1/.

The winner of Best Backstory at Kumoricon 2004, please read it. I want more hits. :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 01:40:56 pm »
are you writing anything new for this year? or perhaps going to read this piece this year? maybe find someone to perform it in costume?

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 04:58:34 pm »
are you writing anything new for this year? or perhaps going to read this piece this year? maybe find someone to perform it in costume?

Unfortunatly, it looks like I won't be able to make it this year, kinda bothers me because I was going to try and help with security and stuff.

I don't have the money to afford a room for myself (Like I did at last Kumoricon and Sakuracon) nor do I have anyone to room with.

I will be submitting my Full Metal Alchemist fic, Mother's Day, even if I won't be there to read it, myself.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 05:00:24 pm »
(a) i don't have a room, myself, either. perhaps if we find enough people, we could share a room, and you could come?

(b) i'm glad you're submitting that fic. since i beta'd it, i can't judge it; but i will be sure that someone (or I) reads it for you, if you can't be there, at bedtime stories, where it will still qualify for prizes based on audience and participant votes.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 09:59:17 pm »
(a) i don't have a room, myself, either. perhaps if we find enough people, we could share a room, and you could come?

(b) i'm glad you're submitting that fic. since i beta'd it, i can't judge it; but i will be sure that someone (or I) reads it for you, if you can't be there, at bedtime stories, where it will still qualify for prizes based on audience and participant votes.

If you can get enough people, I might be able to make it.

I'd still need to get money for gas, aswell as directions there.

I've never actually driven in Portland, but I was born there and I know traffic there is some of the worse traffic I have ever seen.

Even if I can't make it, I would be happy to have my fic read. :D

If it wins an award, I would be two for two.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 06:54:55 pm »
have you considered taking a bus? or driving to eugene and taking a bus?
the hotel is most easily accessed via "max" train.

remember that awards for fanfic bedtime stories are different than awards for the overarching fanfic contest, and that your piece, due to my having beta'd it, is eligible only for audience awards at bedtime stories and not my awards in the overall contest. i'm looking forward to hearing it read, whether you're there or not......and again, if you make it there, try to find FMA cosplayers to act it out! it would be great for that, imho.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 10:27:19 pm »
have you considered taking a bus? or driving to eugene and taking a bus?
the hotel is most easily accessed via "max" train.

remember that awards for fanfic bedtime stories are different than awards for the overarching fanfic contest, and that your piece, due to my having beta'd it, is eligible only for audience awards at bedtime stories and not my awards in the overall contest. i'm looking forward to hearing it read, whether you're there or not......and again, if you make it there, try to find FMA cosplayers to act it out! it would be great for that, imho.

Yeah, I was hoping other people would be on the judging. You were the only person I trusted to beta that. :D