Author Topic: Homophobia in Otakudom (09)  (Read 70773 times)

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Re: Homophobia in Otakudom (09)
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 07:04:07 pm »
Also on a side note: this year we did not have a ton of interest in people wanting to run panels of this nature. It came down to me, Marie (yaoi pannelist) and a couple others. I could personally only run so many lol. I ran the Hentai, Yuri, and Speed Dating (non orientation specific) and would love to see people run more 'non adult' panels. I was thrilled to see the shoujo ai/shounen ai panel but unfortuntatly that didnt go so well due to comunication issues. By all means ANYONE who wants to seriously run a acceptance panel for all ages please do. I would have loved to but as the Adult Content Content cordinator for this year I couldnt run everything I wanted to. *cry* And I wont be in this possiton next year (due to a wonderful new baby on the way) so by all means feel free to expand ideas or ask questions. :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 07:07:20 pm »
Heehee, I'm now president of the Anime Club Marie ran in high school. :D I really like her.

But yes, count me in on this one, I will definately be doing a LGBTQ Meet-up panel at next year's Kumoricon. <3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »
Heehee, I'm now president of the Anime Club Marie ran in high school. :D I really like her.

But yes, count me in on this one, I will definately be doing a LGBTQ Meet-up panel at next year's Kumoricon. <3

yay :3 Hmm wonder how many cookies I will have to make....

This will probelly be a popular panel : o hmm... *thinking* That is a LOT of cookies to bake.

and thanks for making this all ages :3 I havent been able to attend some panels I wanted to in the past because of the 18 rule and the curfew
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

yay :3 Hmm wonder how many cookies I will have to make....

This will probelly be a popular panel : o hmm... *thinking* That is a LOT of cookies to bake.

and thanks for making this all ages :3 I havent been able to attend some panels I wanted to in the past because of the 18 rule and the curfew

If you need help making cookies let me know this is one gay boy that would love to help see this have a huge turn-out! Anything I can do from Seattle to help make this be one of the best panels to date please let me know.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 07:51:51 pm »
^ xD from the way I see this panel going I may just take you up on that offer :3 Course I wont start baking till about a day before the con so they will be as fresh as I can get them :3 My familey has a recipe we made from scratch for some of the best chocolate chips....

course varity is needed xD Ill think of a few more...

but yeah this panel will be awomse <3

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 07:58:31 pm »
I am allergic to all but white chocolate (which is technically not chocolate) so I make killer white choc macadamia nut cookies and some pretty killer snicker doodles. I usually leave for Kcon on Friday so unless someone near the con wants to loan me a kitchen mine will probably be baked on Thursday night.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 08:02:20 pm »
sniker doodles are good ;3

I find it fitting that the panel dedicated to homophia/biphobia/ect is getting all the good cookies xD It almost seems a bit like the cookies are a consolation to me

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 08:06:48 pm »
SO have we decided if this is going to just be LBGT or is it going to be all forms of discrimination (homophobia, racism, ageism, etc.) in con settings?

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
SO have we decided if this is going to just be LBGT or is it going to be all forms of discrimination (homophobia, racism, ageism, etc.) in con settings?

Yah, it's just gonna be a LBGT thing, unless we also have a discrimination in con settings panel right before or after this one so things flow real nice together. I'd be interested in attending a discrimination panel, if someone would like to run it...*coughcough* Learning new things, yo!

Also don't forget the brownies that's be there! =O And dairy and soy milk toooo! Eeee baked goods and associated beverages! *fangirls out*

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:26 pm »
cant run it to busy with my table in teh AA this year...

yeah brownies : D yay! this will be very very fun, how are we going to get all the milk though?

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 08:43:01 pm »
Carefull guys, you are going to have to run the food ideas across the 2009 facilities liaison to ask the hotel about. We had to fight tooth and nails to get neko-pan at the double tree. Dont get your hopes up too high in case the hotel wont allow it. I would suggest waiting till after elections then run it by them.

*not trying to be a downer but its true....*
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
If we can chip in like $20 each we can probably get the school lunch sized cartons of milk and either soy or rice milk from Safeway or somewhere similar and if we get like 10 people to chip in that should be plenty of liquidy goodness for cookies and stuff. I have no objections to doing that. Now I am not a public speaker so don't ask me to participate at the head of the panel but I have no problems helping out in the background.

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »
Is this gonna be a "OMG this guy was hitting on me and it was horrible" kind of thing or a "I heard this guy gaybashing at con and I was so irritated" thing? If it's the latter then I'm totally going.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50:18 pm »
Carefull guys, you are going to have to run the food ideas across the 2009 facilities liaison to ask the hotel about. We had to fight tooth and nails to get neko-pan at the double tree. Dont get your hopes up too high in case the hotel wont allow it. I would suggest waiting till after elections then run it by them.

*not trying to be a downer but its true....*

If the hotel will not allow us to bring our own in we may have to change tactics... I was not even thinking about health codes. We may have to get the hotel to do everything which means $$$$$$$$$. If we can get the con to lets us do that and pay out of our own pockets but that may get pricey!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 08:51:19 pm »
Deviant: Point taken... but would they really object to home made cookies and brownies for a panel? ._.

Schlofin: Hmm... a tend to be decent at public speaking but I'm not the one runnin this... not sure about the milk thing though

Kuro: Its the later :3

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2008, 08:52:26 pm »
Is this gonna be a "OMG this guy was hitting on me and it was horrible" kind of thing or a "I heard this guy gaybashing at con and I was so irritated" thing? If it's the latter then I'm totally going.

My thoughts in where this is going is the later / your own personal experiences of homophobia in the con. But please everyone else chip in on this question.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2008, 08:59:06 pm »
Deviant: Point taken... but would they really object to home made cookies and brownies for a panel? ._.

Absolutly. Like I said we had to fight tooth and nail to get nekopan and we only got it because their hotel chefs cant make the same things. (and they owed us for other contract blunders that will remain unnamed) If we want things they can provide like cookies and milk than they will probably say you can only buy it from us. I dont know much about the hilton but all hotels are the same. They want to make their money too. They will more than likely require the convention to pay for catering for the event. Which we did do this year but we had to charge an admission fee to the panel room to pay for it. If you think the panel will generate ticket sales of probably $5 a person we might be able to afford it. Like I said I would talk to the new Programming director and the Facilities Liaison to see what can be done.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:00:23 pm by Deviant Spider »
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 09:06:49 pm »
hmm well to charge people to come in I dont find fair. everyone should enjoy the panel regardless of payment or no.

Wait is that why the tea party had to charge this year? ._.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 09:23:26 pm »
yes. It was hotel catered. There was no way around it.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »
yay :3 then i will be able to attend!

Oh good news! ^___~ Well it'll be at least you and me then, aye?

and of course many others :3

But of course! I imagine the room overflowing, easily. Unless we get a real big room, but only maybe. ALSO let's make cool buttons for those who attend. And cookies! Oh man I'm exciting about it way too early.

I can make cookies : D

I'LL MAKE BROWNIES. *highfive* Oh dang, best catered panel yet?!

nice xD *high fives back* all the other panels will be green with envy!we will need milk though ._.

YO! I just learned to make BANANA BREAD!!!!

and before neko pan i was the kcon cookie lady cuz i would bring cookies to meetings(tho this last years meeting scedule sux for me) i made blue snickerdoodles and tome called them snickerbluedles we could make rainbow snickerdoodles,
I think this is a great pannel idea, forevery one, I have a friend who is into japanese culture and transgender and i bet something like this could lure her to con.
One topic i would like to go into is why under age girls are obsessed with yaoi? when i went to Japan a bunch of them from the forums wanted me to buy them naughty yaoi stuff and its like waa?? when i was your age guys were still icky (no offence)
I have always had an open mind when it comes to dinffernces in people, I think it is because my family is primary natie american and I dont look it, so I was always seemed to be treated like less of one, even by teachers in school.  I know the way I feel when I see somthing native american made fun of, i wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone, be it take the form of racism or homophobia,

there is still that double standerd tho, that gets things blurry like when talking about tribes problems, my mom can say "there are too many chiefs and not enough indians" its okay cuz she IS a member of a tribe.  Like some gay or lesbian terms can be used by gays and lesbians and not be offence, said by some one who is not and they are.

I deverge from topic, on the milk topic, we are allowed to carry drinks right? who is to say if some of us just happen to have a milk craving and just happen to be carrying gallons of milk...and dixie cups.... ;)
coincidence like that happen to me...alot some times... ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:32:35 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:29 pm »
^yeah, some one could suddenly have a craving for milk and maybe I would just happen to have a few cartons, and cookies ;3 oh and dixie cups

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
Oh Superjaz, you're my favorite person ever. ^-^

Well, whatever we must do to get us some nummy snacks, we must do, for we shall UNDOUBTEDLY PREVAIL despite any obstacles placed before us! Yeah! Now who'd like to be in charge of asking Official People what we'd be allowed to do, food-wise? Not it! Also, is anyone adverse to LBGTQ-related games possibly played too? As in, to warm us up for discussion? It's not like I know any good games, but I'd imagine it might be nice!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2008, 11:10:17 pm »
:) I was hoping someone would catch that...
Technically we cant know you are doing it cause then we have to let the hotel know. But there ARE loop holes.... :) :)
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 11:47:07 pm »
Talking about people in production, we have to bring up transgen voice actress Maddie Blaustein, who's made of win and awesome (you may know her as the main 4Kids voice for Meowth). She's also a photographer and a comic book writer (she created Rubber Band Man for Static Shock).

She was inspired to come out by a very interesting place--an episode of Pokémon detailing Meowth's past. He changed entirely who he was to impress another Meowth, and the whole thing backfired. So Blaustein decided basically that she wasn't about to keep saying she was someone she wasn't, and came out to her coworkers. And I know they have a bad reputation in their *production*, but she said the people at 4Kids were nothing but awesome and supportive to her in person.

I can find the exact post where she said all this, if you want, but it'll take some digging (she used to come to the Pokémon board where I work, after the show went from them to PUSA).

Also, is it really *necessarily* homophobia to ask a cosplay couple to kiss for you? I mean, they could turn around and ask a het pair to do the same (and I *have* seen that done). Sure it's objectifying, but you can be an equal opportunity objectifyer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:48:43 pm by BlackjackGabbiani »

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:44 am »
 A very big issue that just drive me up a bloody friggen wall, is not so much 'homphobia' as the double standard.

In society, yuri is generally accepted as 'hawt' and Yaoi is 'gross'.

I have recently noticed even at cons, bitching to no extent about the OMG HUGE EXCESS of Yaoi over Yuri.
First of all, that's flat out not true. ( some of the fans are just more ..vocal)
Second of all, suggestive, and just plain explicit content with women is in every form media and is not even given a second thought.
 Yaoi is at conventions, one weekend a year. Yet  still isn't very well accepted.

More so on the subject of double standards is that it is just a fact of life that most guys HATE yaoi and find it disgusting. Yet ALL girls are supposed to like Yuri. If you don't your an hateful discriminator.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 11:47:56 am »
Okay, replies on several things...

My thoughts in where this is going is the later / your own personal experiences of homophobia in the con. But please everyone else chip in on this question.
As the person organizing this panel, I have to say that was basically what I had in mind.

On foods: I agree, whose to say why we randomly showed up with food? Hell, I carry food on me at the Con all the time. So let's just drop it for now.

On LGBTQ Games: Yes I know a few. We could always start with Gender Gummy, :3 I do so love doing that one.

On Maddie Blaustein: Zomg I have heard absolutely nothing about that. ^__^ Thank you so much, please remember to bring that up during the discussion.

To TheifKingsHier: As a yuri fan I think I can provide the counterpoints you apparantly are looking for. Yuri is /not/ generally accepted as "hawt", however a small number of creepy guys and most of the yaoi fandom think it is. Yuri, both in Japan and the US, has always been the carefully overlooked little sister of yaoi, rarely recieving it's own place in anything but fanservice anime. So comparitively, there is an excess of yaoi over yuri, although personally I think that's a problem with there not being enough yuri rather than too much yaoi. And no, I think numbers of guys who hate yaoi are pretty much equal to girls who hate yuri, there are just more yaoi fans to be upset about yaoi haters.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 01:22:37 pm »

To TheifKingsHier: As a yuri fan I think I can provide the counterpoints you apparantly are looking for. Yuri is /not/ generally accepted as "hawt", however a small number of creepy guys and most of the yaoi fandom think it is. Yuri, both in Japan and the US, has always been the carefully overlooked little sister of yaoi, rarely recieving it's own place in anything but fanservice anime. So comparitively, there is an excess of yaoi over yuri, although personally I think that's a problem with there not being enough yuri rather than too much yaoi. And no, I think numbers of guys who hate yaoi are pretty much equal to girls who hate yuri, there are just more yaoi fans to be upset about yaoi haters.

No, that's the same absurd argument I hear over and over.
 I will give it you as far as Manga goes, but even then it's shonen ai, not, yaoi.

I was looking for a  new and less ridiculous response, one that can actually be backed up or seen on a regular basis in society.

Thought maybe I could get one hear, or at the panel but I guess not.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:34:19 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »
No, that's the same absurd argument I hear over and over. I was looking for a less ridiculous response, one that can actually be baked up.

Thought maybe I could get one hear, or at the panel but I guess not.

Please don't be rude. I was sharing my opinion, not arguing with you. And I don't really like being told my opinion is rediculous, just as I'm sure you wouldn't have liked it if I'd said that about yours.

You obviously have very strong opinions about this, what could I have said (other than agreeing with you) that wouldn't have insulted you? Would you like me to elaborate on some point?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »
I will give it you as far as Manga goes, but even then it's shonen ai, not, yaoi.

Okay well if we're only talking about hentai than I suppose you are right. But really, the yuri fandom isn't very connected to the majority of yuri hentai (the only one that has been excepted that I can think of is Shoujo Sect, and it has a plot and isn't tacked onto het-hentai).

So yes, if you'd like to only look at pornography, it would seem that as there are predominantly men watching it (although those numbers are quickly changing), and often close-minded men not even esp attached to the anime community, it would make sense they were less than welcoming towards yaoi.

But yes, if we want to talk further about specifically "yaoi" or "yuri" (I'm refering to the American neologism meaning "pornographic" and not the Japanese use of them as umbrella terms) I'd prefer to move it to another board with an 18+ so that we don't scare off youngsters.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 09:30:27 pm »
I am a girl and i have never had any big liking of yuri, the closest would be my fandom of the singer Gackt, because he can look pretty feminin at times, i have heard some guys say they would go gay for gackt, and i counter with his looks does that mean i would go lesbian for gackt?
on yaoi,  some yaoi, where they take masculin anime characters and have them chibi-fied and eatting cakes and drinking tea, i find amusing dont ask me why, guys have every right to have tea n cakes too.

on seprate note my friend lets her 5 year old son paint his nails blue on the bases that he wants to and what she going to tell him hes a boy so no?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 10:52:08 pm »
I am a girl and i have never had any big liking of yuri, the closest would be my fandom of the singer Gackt, because he can look pretty feminin at times, i have heard some guys say they would go gay for gackt, and i counter with his looks does that mean i would go lesbian for gackt?
on yaoi,  some yaoi, where they take masculin anime characters and have them chibi-fied and eatting cakes and drinking tea, i find amusing dont ask me why, guys have every right to have tea n cakes too.

on seprate note my friend lets her 5 year old son paint his nails blue on the bases that he wants to and what she going to tell him hes a boy so no?

Lol go lesbian for Gackt? XD Not sure what can I say to that.

Heehee yep, that's pretty much exactly my kind of yaoi (see Pico to Chico)

<3 aww how cute. well methinks that's a sign of a good parent. and an adorable child :3

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2008, 12:12:22 am »
Uhhh... Just pitching in HAY I have a food handler's license (that looks like it's spelled wrong...) for Oregon, and by the end of this school year I'll be getting another license which will last 5 years which basically allows me to cook/handle food anywhere in the US.  If I go next year I'd be happy to make cookies, so the only problem I can see is trying to find a commercial kitchen. 

And my church would probably let us use their kitchen, as they seem pretty gay-friendly.  And if not just saying, "It's for an anime convention" isn't really lying....

I'll know if I'm going or not in the next couple of weeks (maybe even tomorrow), so.  8D;;;

Also, I've always noticed a lot more yaoi than yuri. :/ Generally, female con-goers are more alright with gay men than lesbians from what I've seen (I hear "I'm okay with it as long as they don't hit on me!!!!" a lot, which seems a bit homophobic in my opinion.) Almost all straight guys tend to like yuri because T****SOMES ARE HOT!!!!! and GAY GUYS ARE YUCKY!!!!, so I think it kinda depends on the gender of the person.  (Of course, there are always wo/men more tolerant than the rest of their sex.)

and i'm going to ask out this girl i've liked for months in a couple weeks... wish me luck 8D;;;
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2008, 10:07:40 am »
Uhhh... Just pitching in HAY I have a food handler's license (that looks like it's spelled wrong...) for Oregon, and by the end of this school year I'll be getting another license which will last 5 years which basically allows me to cook/handle food anywhere in the US.  If I go next year I'd be happy to make cookies, so the only problem I can see is trying to find a commercial kitchen. 

And my church would probably let us use their kitchen, as they seem pretty gay-friendly.  And if not just saying, "It's for an anime convention" isn't really lying....

I'll know if I'm going or not in the next couple of weeks (maybe even tomorrow), so.  8D;;;

Also, I've always noticed a lot more yaoi than yuri. :/ Generally, female con-goers are more alright with gay men than lesbians from what I've seen (I hear "I'm okay with it as long as they don't hit on me!!!!" a lot, which seems a bit homophobic in my opinion.) Almost all straight guys tend to like yuri because T****SOMES ARE HOT!!!!! and GAY GUYS ARE YUCKY!!!!, so I think it kinda depends on the gender of the person.  (Of course, there are always wo/men more tolerant than the rest of their sex.)

and i'm going to ask out this girl i've liked for months in a couple weeks... wish me luck 8D;;;

The issue with the cookies and milk is going to be that the hotel cooks can make them as opposed to the health regs in this situation. You know the hotel wants to make money.

Also I agree with the comment on Yuri for the _____somes, as a gay man I run into this not just in cons but out in the real world. I go out with my lez friends and they get hit on for being lez and guys trying to get them into ______somes. Then the turn around and call me f***t and other negitive euphemisms to my face in front of them.

Finally I wish you a whole lot of luck with that!!! You GO!

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2008, 02:22:53 am »
Then this Johnny should suck it up and accept that the bidding was open to everybody.

He /did/ suck it up. He went with it, didn't he? =/

If you were going to go on a date with a random person who you didn't really like all that much, (regardless of gender) you'd be slightly uneasy as well.

*offtopic rant over*

Edited twice because I'm bad at wording things =w=

Super long thread, but I thought I'd clear this up real quick as a member of the band.

Both Johnny and I were completely open to the idea that whoever won would be the winner, fair and square. It's a friendly outgoing that will help Kumoricon as well as an incredible charity so we decided to do it no matter what the results were.

~simon

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »
First to the band member:
That's awesome that you took the time to post, and that you'd have been open to whatever for a good cause.
P:EAR helps a lot of homeless kids, and having been homeless myself, I'm all for it.

Second to m-o-r: Wow, can you believe, 6 pages in this thread and still going strong? And people already looking forward to and making elaborate plans for next year's shindig? I'm so glad I noticed the crossplay bathroom thread and proposed you take the logical next step; it's actually one of the things I'm happiest in life about presently :)

Now: what on earth is Gender Gummy???
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
First to the band member:
That's awesome that you took the time to post, and that you'd have been open to whatever for a good cause.
P:EAR helps a lot of homeless kids, and having been homeless myself, I'm all for it.

Second to m-o-r: Wow, can you believe, 6 pages in this thread and still going strong? And people already looking forward to and making elaborate plans for next year's shindig? I'm so glad I noticed the crossplay bathroom thread and proposed you take the logical next step; it's actually one of the things I'm happiest in life about presently :)

Now: what on earth is Gender Gummy???

Yes I must second that first part. Amazing dedication to actually be around to defend you guy's integrity and doubly amazing you guys were willing to go so far for charity. <3

0_0 I know! Seriously, I figured this would sort of fall off the map. As it stands, I'm going to have to start a new thread right before Kumoricon rolls along with the actual panel name and description so we don't lose people who don't want to go through 6+pages! ^__^ And yes, I'm very glad too, I'm seriously looking forward to running this (I'd always dreampt of running a panel).

Basically Gender Gummy (or previously called "Gumby" but changed when legal action was taken) is a /very/ simple game designed to show that Gender and Sexuality are completely independent and coexist on a wide spectrum.... really just basic Gender Psychology applied to a little game. :3 But I think it'll be a great first activity to get things started... if it doesn't make sense here I'm sure you'll understand after the panel.

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »
Woo the Slants! *highfive*

See? See? Talking about food n' catering wasn't so bad after all! Awesoooome! And that shouldn't be what I'm most looking forward in this panel, but it IS.   =D Also way to be vague about what Gender Gummy is! But I'll find out eventually~!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2008, 09:07:15 pm »
xD I'm so looking forward to this Raven you rock for orginizin this :3 I will help as much as I can if you need it

Now I'm thinking I'm going to be drawing some Shounene -ai and shojo ai for my AA table... *ebil grin* Oh the profets... oh the fun... oh the parings I can make! *insert cackle here* none of them are safe!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:14 pm »
Then this Johnny should suck it up and accept that the bidding was open to everybody.

He /did/ suck it up. He went with it, didn't he? =/

If you were going to go on a date with a random person who you didn't really like all that much, (regardless of gender) you'd be slightly uneasy as well.

*offtopic rant over*

Edited twice because I'm bad at wording things =w=

Super long thread, but I thought I'd clear this up real quick as a member of the band.

Both Johnny and I were completely open to the idea that whoever won would be the winner, fair and square. It's a friendly outgoing that will help Kumoricon as well as an incredible charity so we decided to do it no matter what the results were.

~simon

And also on a side note as I was on the stage when this was going down. The man who won just wanted to donate to charity, he gave the date to the girl who bid next highest. He claimed his boyfriend would have a problem with it. It was really cute. It didnt seem like Simon was any more nervous than he would have been with anyone else. Id be nervous as heck to be bid on by random strangers of either gender! :) (Excited but still nervous...)
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »
I'm all for Gummy then :P

We could bring gummy bears and give them out to winners?
:P

BTW: Given that I'll be running 2 rooms and also a panelist (Religion....) I'll have to try to finesse myself a break from the CS to attend....we'll see.....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »
Also, I've always noticed a lot more yaoi than yuri. :/ Generally, female con-goers are more alright with gay men than lesbians from what I've seen (I hear "I'm okay with it as long as they don't hit on me!!!!"
this makes me think of when a friend of mine was trying to get me to go to a gay bar with some girlfriends of hers because one had broken up with her girl friend and needed cheering up, i duno i just felt it would be like i was missrepresenting myself tho not nessacerily on the gay issue but as i am not a big dancer-bar goer, in the first place, and second I'm in a relationship and I hold fidelity in the hightest, (I have a few abandonment issues but i think that happens when you haven't seen your father in 10 years) even when i was pannling to break up with some one, i still didnt consider dating other peeps till i had.

and even after talking this out and reasoning it out could it be I just didnt want to go to a gay bar where I might be hit on?
when I was in Japan the apartment head, a student named asuka, really pretty 18 years old, when I was walking and talking with her at one time she held my hand and was saying "were lovey lovey"
I honestly wonderd what kinda signal did i send out?
then I saw she was like that with guys and girls and felt a little better

oh on the bar note i told my friend i would go out with her once i reached my goal weight of 150 but thats not gonna happen anytime soon stoopid birthcontrol that makes me gain weight as a side effect,

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2008, 06:11:59 pm »
We could bring gummy bears and give them out to winners?
:P

Lol, it's really not the sort of thing you "win" at. :D Actually, the concept is funny if you know what the game is like.... but my girlfriend says it's not really a game it's a "social activity". So yeah, methinks she's right. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2008, 06:36:51 pm »
SPOILERS!

Ah hah, the Internet has kindly shown me what the true meaning of Gender Gummy is! So baaasically, you draw a few lines on the board, labeled as assigned sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and such, and each line acts as a spectrum from male/masculine to androgynous to female/feminine. You mark where you are on each line, connect the dots, then BAM, we see how cool everyone is. In conclusion, hooray for ruining the suspense! =D

Also, this means everyone is the winner, so we all get gummy bears! YAAAAY!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:08:24 pm by Winfred »

Offline Schlofin

• Cabbit
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:23 pm »
Ah hah, the Internet has kindly shown me what the true meaning of Gender Gummy is! So baaasically, you draw a few lines on the board, labeled as assigned sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and such, and each line acts as a spectrum from male/masculine to androgynous to female/feminine. You mark where you are on each line, connect the dots, then BAM, we see how cool everyone is. In conclusion, hooray for ruining the suspense! =D

Also, this means everyone is the winner, so we all get gummy bears! YAAAAY!

Hey next time you do something like that put a spoiler warning at the head! I was looking forward to the suspense and seeing it in the panel.  :'(  But I am excited about gummy bears!

Offline Teepet

• Cabbit
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:17 am »
There could be a bunch of different kinds of gummy bears (like normal, sour, and umm... tropical, or something) mixed together and then you could be in suspense about what kind you were gunna get.  Oooooh.  ::)

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
Ah, sorry! I didn't think the suspense could last a whole year without the truth being revealed at some point during that span! I felt the world had to know! I am a killjoy, I know. *hangs head in shame* But secretly I regret nothing! Bwa ha ha!

And there could be other gummy animals, like worms and fish! Yesssss!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:07:24 pm by Winfred »

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:51 pm »
Ah, sorry! I didn't think the suspense could last a whole year without the truth being revealed at some point during that span! I felt the world had to know! I am a killjoy, I know. *hangs head in shame*

And there could be other gummy animals, like worms and fish! Yesssss!

Yeah goodjob shannon :\

Lol but really, I wouldn't have wanted everybody to be disappointed or anything. It's only intended as a fun warm-up activity.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:14 pm »
oh i have played that tho we called it gender gumby

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:46 am »
oh i have played that tho we called it gender gumby

Yeah, I mentioned that before. The reason it's not "gumby" anymore is that the organization who made Gumby approached the people who made gender gumby and said it was copywrite infringement. So it had to be changed :\

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »
Sorry for the bump, but this is still being planned, right?
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things