Author Topic: Music Game Tournament Results and Discussion '08  (Read 11349 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Music Game Tournament Results and Discussion '08
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:37:55 pm »
DDR

Despite my VISO sponsorship falling through (Alex lost his phone and I couldn't check my email so we couldn't get a hold of each other) and not getting any of the pads or cabinets there, DDR was really fun this year.  I threw together two platforms for the Cobalt Fluxes to sit on (we had four there this year thanks to Wanganator!), which improved playability dramatically.

First place went to Hooby; welcome back! (Hooby was the winner of the DDR tournament in 2005, IIRC)
AIDZ got second place in a close match.  The final match was 2-3 in Hooby's favor.
I managed to get third place, losing to Hooby, who's been winning tournaments longer than I've been playing!  He beat me twice, 2-0, in the trifinal match.
Randrord played hard, but I beat him out 2-0 in the quarterfinal match. 
Max and Butters tied for 5th; they never played their faceoff match officially.
Pandy got 7th, beating out Wanganator after I beat her in a very close match.
Wanganator thus settled with 8th place.

Everyone else did great too, and I hope to see all of you (a lot more of you though) at future tournaments.

Unfortunately, due to low tournament registration and time constraints, we were only able to run one tournament. :(  Maybe next time?

Rock Band

HOLY DUDES THIS WAS FUN!  I had a lot of fun running and judging this, and hope all the participants and other judges had fun too!  Wang and Kiwi were awesome judges; blame them for the doodles. ;P

Winners were announced in the lobby, but in case you missed it, here's what I remember:
Luv Furnace - 1st, 43/45
Pikachu's Rotting Carcass - 2nd, 42/45
Spork - 3rd, 38?/45
Can't remember the rest, but some of the other band names, for your pleasure:
We Shall Lose This Game, First Place, Girly Anime Lovers, Porch of Monk Eyes, The Game, Flying Pie, and I can't remember the other two :[

I'm going to work on some of the scheduling to get this set up as a serious event with bigger, better prizes, precluding a performance by the Slantz in the future.  In order to do this, I need the support of at least 200 or 300 individuals, so keep posted and be vocal!  We love attendee feedback.

Guitar Hero

Holy crap you guys are good!  I can only play Hard mode; maybe I need to get serious and catch up with you guys ;P

I'm finally listening to "Through the Fire and Flames" and "Emerald Sword" back to back.  They do have some differences.  But they're both crazily metal, but simultaneously, way nerdy than most TOTAL BADASSES are comfortable with.  I'm working on some similar songs. . . maybe I'll play one for you dudes next year. . . :D

Anyway, Steve got first in the tournament.  HOLY CRAP DUDE YOU ARE GOOD WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR CRACK?!  Seriously, this guy is intense.  Got 100% or 99% on almost everything he played.  I think the lowest was 97% on TtFaF. O_O
VG is ridiculous too; the fact that someone that good can get SECOND at our convention is just ungodly.
Even more ridiculous is that Colin got third.  He's, like, 160th on My Name is Jonas on the world recordboard.  We had some serious talent at our con.
Sammy too.  This guy was tearin' it up even when he was losing, hitting 95-99% on pretty much every song.

Adrienne is great as well.  It's not often you get to see a girl completely smash a bunch of guys at video games.  I'm really happy when I get the chance; rock on!

And Kyle would have won HANDS DOWN if we were judging by most points per finger; this guy's fingers are LIGHTNING (not "like" lightening; they are composed of supercompacted lightning).  I love to see someone work around a handicap and I was AMAZED by Kyle's speed and accuracy with just three fingers on each hand.  Freakin' inspires me.  Dude deserves a medal or something.

EDIT: Washu!  I somehow totally missed you in all of that!  I am super terribly sorry!  Washu got 4th, Sammy and Stephen tied for 5th. :P  Again; terribly sorry about the mixup.

I may be running DDR and Guitar Hero TOURNAMENTS as panels.  The games would still be available all day every day for free play in our game room.  I'll wait to apply for the panels until we have at least 10 gaming staff though.  If you do want to staff, remember that, even though it's a lot of work, you save a lot of money and it's a load of fun, and you make yourself a little part of the convention.  If you aren't sure whether or not you're right for staff (game room or otherwise), talk to some folks who have experience.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:58:56 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
Re: Music Game Tournament Results and Discussion '08
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »
Wow thanks for the shout out! I'm giving mad props to Colin though, seriously, 3 rounds in a row? I really hope he doesn't get that stroke he thought he had from it. oh and I was thinking that since GH:4 (yeah I know it's called world tour) will more than likey be at the next Kcon, I would love to see a tourny for each instrument, even bass(I guess), because that would be so awesome. Rock Band 2 can be the game for battle of the bands and the GH games can be the one for instrument battles. No rush on this but what exatly would the GH/rock band panels be about? I'm curious. Rock on! \m/

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:28 pm »
They'd be tournaments.  I'd probably do the same with DDR.  I just want the tournaments out of gaming because gaming kept closing when they weren't done yet and it also kept being loud.  I also want them to be posted on the schedules accurately and figure that running them as panels would help that happen.

I also want to have two badges because I'm greedy (possibly three if I ask for an industry badge too). ;P

Yeah, seriously; all a bunch of the hardest songs in the game.  I at least train my stamina before playing in DDR tournaments; he just came up and Rocked Out after not playing for months.  I'm pretty stoked that he and one of my best friends are going to be rooming together.  We're gonna rock out frequently. :D

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:04:42 pm »
I sucked balls at DDR this year >: Guess that just means you need to get me out of my house and at the arcade more fool.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:43 pm »
They'd be tournaments.  I'd probably do the same with DDR.  I just want the tournaments out of gaming because gaming kept closing when they weren't done yet and it also kept being loud.  I also want them to be posted on the schedules accurately and figure that running them as panels would help that happen.

I also want to have two badges because I'm greedy (possibly three if I ask for an industry badge too). ;P

Panels are still Prog department so you would still just have the programming badge. :/

On another note, I have been informed that the game room next year can be sectioned off like this room could have been but with doors into the sections. So music can be seperated and in little sections within gaming. It was designed for conferences/whatnot so that they can be independently sound. It will mute/lessen the sound to other areas.

As for closing, it was due to late starts on tourneys. However we did our best to accommodate and kept the room open a bit extra for each tourney knowing that it was due to late start.

If ran as panels there would be more restrictions and time limits placed on them as well as less room for delay. It is definitely something to talk with Jaki about and see the hotel room we are gaming in. If it as explained it would be awesome but I need to see it as well. It was just what I was informed.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:05:09 pm »
Tom has already got some maps turnin'.  I've looked at them and chatted with him and I think we can work out gaming, but I've already got a cool idea in the works for the Rock Band. (run it through main events)

I thought panelist badges were separate from staff badges.  LOL I should change my name to UninformedTofu or something. :D

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:30:43 am »
lols

Unfortunately, Tom is not gaming. Love him, but his layouts don't matter in the end. We may come up with another but we may use his. I have talked to Jaki about a layout coordinator position as something we can look into.

Game room stuff that uses a console still has to be a part of gaming as it is still con stuff and if it were in a total separate area that is one console and tv we can't use for the rest of the games. Not everyone is playing rock band at all times. The console needs to be available to use for other gaming unless we get more ps3's.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:27 am »
I'll take care of getting the consoles, games, TV's, and controllers if I run anything gaming that isn't inside gaming, don't worry. :]

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:55 am »
But with rockband are you really going to want to get a hold of two rockband set ups and 2 ps3's let alone if you have the ability to.
And unless we have a large ass staff, it can't be staffed properly. That's also one major problem regardless of everything else.

I hope we could have that kind of staff but we need more in the main room before we think about staffing a second.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
I hope the idea tofu has includes putting the rock band setup on a stage so that the competitors feel like an actual band. Hell yeah for stage diving!! on second thought you might have to tell people to not do that lol. I can't wait to hear your idea tofu.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:07:43 pm »
Looks like Simon's down with it.  I'll be discussing it more in Programming and it'll come up again as soon as we know we have the staff.  I'm totally stoked for it right now. :)

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »
I'll help, but only if I can participate. I know some people feel cheated when someone helping with the event is participating with it.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
Here are my guidelines:

Attendees - All can participate, as long as they do not have a recent history of flaking out.  If there are separate difficulty brackets, they will be sorted accordingly.  Proxies may be allowed on a case-to-case basis.

Con staff - Strongly encouraged to participate.  Some leeway will be granted for convention staff where scheduling issues exist.  Proxies allowed.

Tournament Organisers - always welcome to compete, but will be asked to forfeit prizes unless extras are available.

Tournament Assistants - will be treated as attendees; they're just helping out. :]

You'd probably be in there as a tournament assistant.  If you are who I think you are, you'll be working in the AA most of the con, otherwise I'd encourage you to join staff.  I played in the DDR tournament and got 3rd, but gave the 3rd place prize to the guy who got 4th. (I wound up getting a shirt from Diskowarp anyway though)

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:46 am »
Yeah I wouldn't mind be an assist, I can help setup and what not. I'll bring my games just in case you don't get the one you have the tourny for. I would be more active but I live about 4 hours away from just about any anime con available to me. Where will you post your ideas for next years tournys? I'm interested to know what they are.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:34 am »
They will be here, as soon as more things get confirmed.  I need to start being more careful about making sure ideas are doable before posting them. :P

Offline Teepet

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 02:02:44 pm »
Or post them to make them doable?  All y'alls who like Tofu's idea's should try to find a way to help, 'cause his ideas are often too big to do with the resources (staff and equiptment) that the con has.
 Tofu-darling, if I can help you run stuff, I will, but I can't commit anything to ya, lil bro.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:04:40 pm »
I'm going to actually try to test some ideas at MEWcon [mewcon.com]; I think that if I do that I can hype more people up and increase attendance for that con and I can also be super-prepared to make any changes I need for this con. :D

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:29 pm »
I'll be at Aki-con and I hope to be able to make it to Mew-con. I'm excited to see what you have planned there.

Offline DarkKnightUltima

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:28:08 pm »
No Tetris Attack? For shame...
PSN: MiyamotoKaizen
Steam: DarkUltima (Miyamoto Kaizen should be what you see)
Costume Progress:
Zengar Zombolt (SRWOG) - 100%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:46 pm »
Tetris Attack is a puzzle game.  This topic is for Music Games.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15:08 pm »
I play Tetris for the music!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:55 pm »
I play Bubble Bobble for the music; still not within my jurisdiction. :P  I'm pretty sure there was a Tetris Attack tournament at Kumoricon.  I don't know why our other tournament organisers (*cough*Hellsap*cough*) don't love you all enough to post tournament results on the forums, but if I run a tournament, the results will be up on the appropriate forums within 3 days.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 04:00:28 pm »
I play Bubble Bobble for the music; still not within my jurisdiction. :P  I'm pretty sure there was a Tetris Attack tournament at Kumoricon.  I don't know why our other tournament organisers (*cough*Hellsap*cough*) don't love you all enough to post tournament results on the forums, but if I run a tournament, the results will be up on the appropriate forums within 3 days.

He didn't run the Tetris attack one. Kyo did. And she doesn't even look at forums.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 04:15:49 pm »
I'm glad you put everything on the forums tofu, I love stats!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:24 pm »

He didn't run the Tetris attack one. Kyo did. And she doesn't even look at forums.
I didn't think he did; wasn't sure who else would though. :P

I'll take the time to collect detailed results and post them for all the tournaments next year if people want them, but only if we have enough staff for me to have the time to stop by every tournament personally.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »

I didn't think he did; wasn't sure who else would though. :P

I'll take the time to collect detailed results and post them for all the tournaments next year if people want them, but only if we have enough staff for me to have the time to stop by every tournament personally.

You won't need to stop by each tourney to get the results. Its all recorded at the end. Julie(not sure her last name, but she was prog staff) came around and got first places for each tourney....
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 04:55:11 pm »
Look at my first post in this thread though; that's what I'm talking about.  Tournaments should be memorable social events with stories to be told; that's what makes them fun to run!  Anyone could go ahead and just post who won. :P

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 08:04:17 pm »
Look at my first post in this thread though; that's what I'm talking about.  Tournaments should be memorable social events with stories to be told; that's what makes them fun to run!  Anyone could go ahead and just post who won. :P
It might be difficult to keep one's attention when you're telling them the details of your Tetris victory...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »
I dunno. . .
"And I slid it into the slot; he was breathing heavily.  With an explosion of colour and pleasure, I knew I was the victor; he cried out and lay limp beside me; beaten."

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 01:33:49 am »
I dunno. . .
"And I slid it into the slot; he was breathing heavily.  With an explosion of colour and pleasure, I knew I was the victor; he cried out and lay limp beside me; beaten."

>_> creepy. Yea. I'm sure you wouldn't lose their attention but I don't think many would want to continue talking to you if you have a story really about tetris be taht in depth with an undertone lol.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 06:59:21 pm »
Tetris? hmm I wonder if that's what people would think it was about.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 03:31:26 pm »
I feel really bad, I'm pretty sure I lost it for my team by hitting start so much on accident. I use my GH controller for my RBing because I always do it. I also left because I had to puke, I feel bad about that too.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 08:12:52 pm »
are you talking about the Rock Band tournament?

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:51 pm »
yeah
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »
The puking made it more of a legit gig; maybe next year. ;P

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 10:36:43 pm »
I'll be training. and using the RB guitar so my hand gets used to the start button being there. stupid huge start button.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 11:57:30 am »
hey tofu, could you show me the GH tourny bracket? It's not that I don't believe you I just want to see who else was in front of me, I thought it was Steve 1st, VG 2nd, Collin 3rd and SDwashu 4th.

Oh and by the way, I know I am one returning member of Pikachu's Rotting Carcass that will return to Kcon in 09 for that Rock Band tournament!

Thanks for the Brawndo, I don't like it very much but it's cool to have around, just in case.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:42 pm »
Ah, you're actually right.  Washu got 4th. :P

Sorry about that mixup. D:

EDIT: btw, I only have 2 of the songs VG and Steve played written down.  I know they played One then Cliffs of Dover, both of which went to Steve.  What else?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:01:52 pm by DancingTofu »

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:32 pm »
I think those were the only two they played, mostly because I think I recorded all the songs and those were the only two recorded, maybe one of them'll come in here and say for sure which one's were played.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
I figured they at least played a third song. :P

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 11:58:41 am »
I don't even know if it was supposed to be the best 3 out of 5, I don't know if they knew either. Usually that's how it is in the finals though. Oh well, plans for next year lol.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 01:30:01 pm »
Yeah; I'll plan on not having to fix the DDR during the final match lol. ;P

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »
I think a good idea is to try to have it on Saturday instead of the last day, but that's mostly because I don't want to have to wake up that early again. I do love that the Rock Band tourny was later at night, cause that's how rockers are! but Pikachu's Rotting Carcasses drummer (me) was too tired for the after party.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't really happy with the scheduling, but we don't really have all that much time to work with unless we're going to start running parallel tournaments officially.

Monday's kind of weird - I don't like trying to run tournaments on Monday 'cause the game room is kind of just open for a few hours and then closed right away.

I did intentionally ask to have the Rock Band tournament later, but it was supposed to be, like, 8:00, not 9:30 or whenever it actually started.