Author Topic: Question about GH3 tourney prize  (Read 6536 times)

Offline VenusGospel

• Oni
Question about GH3 tourney prize
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:08:39 am »
VG here... So here's the thing, I placed 2nd in the GH3 tourney and got the prize bag, containing the naruto keychain and poster. But considering that, really, I'm not a naruto fan at all, so I didn't care and I didn't really look at the key chain or the poster. Later that evening I noticed that the slip that was on the keychain advised me to redeem my prize from the exhibition hall. So, I didn't get the prize. Though all I'm really wondering is, what was it? If it's naruto merchandise... keep it. All in all, I just wanna know what it is, I have no plans on picking it up or anything, no worries : )

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
Re: Question about GH3 tourney prize
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
It was for a case of Bawls energy drinks.  The person that gave us the prizes told me since the Exhibitor's Hall was closed by the time the tournament ended, I had to go to the programming office to get it.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:56:11 pm »
Nice job in the tourny you two, I lost but at least it was fun.

Offline VenusGospel

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:08:28 pm »
Lol, yeah, a case of Brawndo, I don't mind hehe. And yeah, that tourney was the most fun I'd ever had with GH, I hope GH4 next year will be even more fun.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:55:36 pm »
I'll hopefully have better prizes for next year.  I was supposed to have a StepMania Cabinet, Four DDR pads, some water coolers, and a bunch of VISO for DDR this year and that all just flopped, but next year I'm going to be working really hard talking to sponsors and getting prizes.  I'll also be pushing towards cash prizes for all tournaments, even if cash = Kumoricash.

A Kumoricon 2009 Music Gaming discussion topic will be posted after MEWCon.  I'll probably be running this next year, but I want to hear what people have to say about it too.  I understand how the scoring works now so we'll be using that in the future for all Guitar Hero, assuming they keep the same scoring formula.  The double-elimination seemed to confuse some people.  It makes tournaments a lot more fair though.  Colin, who got third in the end, would have been eliminated in round 1.  Would it help if we had a large tournament bracket posted throughout the tournament, either using a projector screen or just have a blank 4'x6' bracket printed out and hung up somewhere?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:08:05 pm »
I liked the tourny this year because basing who wins off of notes hit was very unique to me and it made it more interesting. I think it was a good way to give people who play on hard a good chance to win since they play mostly hard they know where the notes are and it gives us expert players a challenge since we don't really know or, in some of our cases, me included, don't care about hard at all. I think that once we get to about 3 rounds in we should switch to it being based on score and maybe have it be expert only after that point?

Oh and I hope those vids came out good tofu, a few technical difficulties and forgetfulness on my part but I would love to see them. hmm now that I think about we can all discuss this in the new topic you were talking about, well see you all then.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:18:27 pm »
Working on uploading them now.

http://photobucket.com/cloudygaming2008

It's a group, so if anyone has any game room videos in there, I want them up!

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:44:38 am »
I'll hopefully have better prizes for next year.  I was supposed to have a StepMania Cabinet, Four DDR pads, some water coolers, and a bunch of VISO for DDR this year and that all just flopped, but next year I'm going to be working really hard talking to sponsors and getting prizes.  I'll also be pushing towards cash prizes for all tournaments, even if cash = Kumoricash.

A Kumoricon 2009 Music Gaming discussion topic will be posted after MEWCon.  I'll probably be running this next year, but I want to hear what people have to say about it too.  I understand how the scoring works now so we'll be using that in the future for all Guitar Hero, assuming they keep the same scoring formula.  The double-elimination seemed to confuse some people.  It makes tournaments a lot more fair though.  Colin, who got third in the end, would have been eliminated in round 1.  Would it help if we had a large tournament bracket posted throughout the tournament, either using a projector screen or just have a blank 4'x6' bracket printed out and hung up somewhere?

The Brawndo was awesome, really, my only gripe was that it was kinda hard to transport since it was so heavy and... big. This is totally not in response to the Guitar Hero tourny--Rock Band, actually--but since the prizes seem to be the same I just wanted to comment. :3
I would be cool with something like that again, just with a bit of forewarning, but I understand things happen, too.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:04:23 am »
Yeah.  Unfortunately, I didn't know what the prizes were until they were in your hands.  I'm going to be planning on planning Guitar Hero and Rock Band for next year instead of just being ready to do so, so they should both be a lot more fun.  I'm working out the kinks of a cool idea I've had for Rock Band, and if it goes through, the prizes for that will include both lots of swag and lots of MONEY.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:32 am »
Unfortunately the prizes, yes were the same for all tourneys. It was a matter of making tiers so that they were slightly better than the place below.

We didn't have too much to work with this year for prizes. If we can get requests from staff with enough notice for what prizes they would like to give to their tourney winners we may be able to get better.

I know this year there were hang-ups with Tofu's prizes. Lots of swag and lots of money is hard to come by. This year we did try to get ahold of gift certificates(Game Stop i believe, don't quote me on it) but no luck.

As long as it goes through the proper channels, i.e. a staff member running the tourney requests it through the director for reasonable prizes, we should be able to make it happen. But it has to be kept in consideration we have to give out 1st/2nd/3rd for EVERY tourney and they have to still be fair so one tourney cant have ZOMG epic prize where as another has mediocre-esque prizes in comparison.

If tournament coordinator donates prize they get themselves that is one thing but it still has to be fair enough to go to all tourneys. But it really depends on how the con can allocate funds for tournament prizes.

I tried to give them atleast tiers and do the best with what I had. Sorry guys. I know it was a lot of Naruto...
but srsly, love naruto!!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:37:02 am by Kurokaizoku »
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 09:47:26 am »
Just want to say that I had an absolute *BLAST* at the GH tournament this year. I loved the double elimination system as it kept a lot of people going that would have otherwise been out and made for some *VERY* interesting and competitive matches. I'm still split a little on score vs notes hit but I figure we have time to work that out before next year if we need to but either should be fine.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this and to Tofu for running it.  ;D

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:11:05 pm »
Yeah; I'm thinking I might see if I can have some just-for-fun gatherings a few weeks before Kumoricon for all the music gaming so I can work out how the tournaments are going to work before they are happening.  I did that with DDR and it helped streamline things a lot so I didn't have everyone asking how the scoring system worked at the event, only a handful of people who didn't know about the gathering or couldn't make it.

Here's my request for all of you for next year though: come back with one friend who can compete with you who WASN'T in the tournament this year.  I want to triple registration for all my tournaments in 2009. :D

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
I'm glad those vids turned out better than I thought they would. I really thought I would have been too shaky, maybe it because I was sitting down. There should be lots of pictures put up for a while so now I'm off to look at those, laters.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:23:24 pm »
Yeah.  Thanks for doing those. :]

I noticed you taking some pictures.  Feel free to upload them to that album.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 01:15:33 am »
Yeah I would but my camera sucks and I couldn't take any. Maybe next year.

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:30:59 am »
I think I've got some pics of the tournaments that I can post to the album, I'll have to start looking through the 700MBs of pictures to find them though. >_<

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:06:47 pm »
Yeah; my camera didn't leave the game room during the con except for a couple hours here and there, and it was in a bag or a drawer the whole time then; all the pictures I have are from the game room. (most are actually videos of the DDR; I need to figure out an override so I can take longer videos for the Rock Band and Guitar Hero too.)

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »
700MBs of pics!?!? that's a hell of a lot of pictures, I couldn't find that many I wanted to save lol. What did everyone else think of the Brawndo energy drinks? I didn't hear anyone say anything bad about them, everyone said it was good but it tasted nasty to me. Won't let it go to waste though, I have a buddy who'll drink em and maybe I can video him jumping off the roof or something when it snows.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 01:30:50 am »
I thought they were better than most, but not as good as Bawls, and nowhere near as good as VISO.

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:19 am »
They're alright, I like bawls more but I don't really drink either so meh. I'll probably just use the cans as decoration in random spots though just because of the idiocracy reference.