Author Topic: 9-11 Memorial picnic to be held Monday September 15 at 2pm to unknown  (Read 32186 times)

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
So I wanted to have a meet up to show cosplayers love and strength for our country. I know its kinda soon I was scared to post it earlier. I want to do a meet up for Oregonians/Washintonians at the waterfront the same place as the cosplay picnic. I have already told/asked a few people to come. It will be 9/11/08 at noon at the waterfront. If you would like to come that would be nice. I was hoping we could do it picnic style. Try to bring somthing if you can. Or we can all just hang out.

*edit* I am sorry if many people have misunderstood what I said. I think in a different pattern then most. I do feel canceling my event would be harsh. I originally wanted this event because our soldier fight for us so that we have the freedom to do what we do. To commemorate those who fight for us and remember those that we lost. And although great evil was done there is still light in america.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:07:22 am by SoraKitsune »
KumoriCon 2011
Femmy Turkey(aph) Missing pieces: Green hoody, dye hair brown. Mask
Femmy Germany(aph) Missing pieces: Short blond wig, iron cross necklace, Possibly blue contacts

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: 9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »
I'll try to make it. My parents will be out of town that night.....scary thought that they will be on a plane on 9/11 >_>

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:54 pm »
I dont think its scary its a way of showing them that you may use somthing for evil but we can still use it for good.
KumoriCon 2011
Femmy Germany(aph) Missing pieces: Short blond wig, iron cross necklace, Possibly blue contacts

Offline Ryanne_monday

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:02:02 pm »
I don't mean to bag on the idea at all, I think a meet up is great, but doesn't a "cosplay" meet up to support our country kinda stretch the culture mark? I mean, what - we'd all be these crazy characters and hold a flag? That might not be the greatest idea on nine eleven - people will be kind of tense as usual and it might get taken the wrong way. Once again - not trying to be a drag on the party but I thought it should be an important thought into consideration.
But, hell - what do I know?
Do whatever works!
FINAL FANTASY SEVEN FORUM

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:24:09 am »
ugh not that i'm not patriotic but its hard to feel pride in our country when we're obviously failing as one imo =( but i'll just stop so i don't get branded a terrorist or something =P
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline Mailorder

• Cabbit
    • Aftercon Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:46:40 am »
I agree with Ryanne_monday.  Cons are a celebration of Japanese animation and culture, so being in cosplay may not be the best idea when you want to show patriotism for America.  It's cool to have a gathering, but if it's in a public place - you may want to leave the costumes at home.

GO GO GO

Offline bananarick

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:17:56 am »
Same here, you might not want to do the whole costume thing.
People might get upset.
Blahblahblah

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »
i have school then Japaneses club then kendo then homework so i cant come
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:02:52 pm »
I move we cancel this event and instead do the cosplay picnic and party on the 20th.

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:00:53 pm »
Ok Tanis, back off a moment please. Folks I have to admit to you fully, that my sister fully and totally sucks at explaining things. Alright, in truth its not technically meant to be a cosplay picnic. But it can indeed be seen as such, because we are welcome to wear our cosplays. The event is to be in honor of those that passed on, but also to celebrate the freedoms that have been given to us. Thanks to the event of 9-11, there was a war that started and continues. Yet we are still free, because of the country we live in. We are free to make our own choices, and this is a choice my sister has decided to do. You don't have to come if you don't want to, you can't personally cancel my sisters event.

That in its own is a little rude to do, saying that you move to cancel an event you aren't even running. No offense to the folks reading this, but my sisters idea is a good one. Instead of 9-11 being a day of sorrow and pain; where we the people remember the blow that was dealt to our country, we can celebrate the fact that we are free to make our choices as we wish so. If you find this disrespectful, you do not HAVE to attend. We aren't dragging you by the ear saying, 'hey you have to come to this'. The sheer fact you all(minus a few) are shooting down my sister so hard.... Makes me think that maybe going to the other picnic happening in September is a very bad idea. If you are going to be this rude to my sister, then maybe its not a good idea....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:14:55 pm by IrukaSensei »
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »
It's just that the first arguments raised a strong point is all. I'm not trying to be mean to anyone, and I don't know why folks catch crap for this.

I can go to the 11th, but I can only stay for a couple hours; I have work after that.

I don't believe we're being rude, and people shouldn't immediately assume the worst case scenario when reading someone's post. I certainly wasn't being harpy or anything; I just thought at first that as it says, we don't do the 11th and do the 20th instead.

Offline gia

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Vice
Re: 9-11 cosplay event.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 08:19:02 am »
From a purely practical standpoint, I would also question whether there might not be other things going on in the park that day.
Editor-in-Chief, Anime Vice
http://animevice.com

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:47 am »
Unfortunately that is a workday for me, so I can't go <3  good luck

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:35 am »
Unfortunately that is a workday for me, so I can't go <3  good luck
Ditto
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:37 pm »
If you are going to be this rude to my sister, then maybe its not a good idea....

Darling, no one here is being rude. Please don't be so defensive. It's making the situation look worse than it is. As I explained to your sister on deviantART, and I meant my words with no malice, from an outsider perspective, the idea of cosplaying characters from Japan for 9-11 just doesn't look right. People have a hard enough time understanding why we cosplay in the first place.

If you read the comments again, people are for the 9-11 commemorative picnic! They just think, as I do, that the cosplay portion might give the wrong idea and cause more problems than show people that, even though things aren't the greatest right now, we still love our country.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 10:52:36 pm »
Our country may not be the best one in the world anymore, contrary to what we were taught in elementary school, but we do still love it dearly, do we not?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:00:01 pm »
Well, let me put it this way:

I'm a liberal. I voted for Kerry. I'm voting for Obama. I support our troops. I want to see better improvement with the environment. I am NOT happy (to put it very, VERY lightly) with the Bush Administration. I see no good has come out or is coming out of the Bush administration. I hate the Iraqi war and the idea of a war with Iran.

And out of all that, I love America. I'm very happy and grateful I was born in the US and have the opportunities I do. I cried on 9-11, and I still cry when I think about it. What a horrible event that was, and what a beautiful site it was to see every car, home, window have an American flag on it. That I will most certainly never forget.

That said, I think voting is one of America's greatest rights it's given its people. Please use it!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:05:18 pm by lychee-twist »

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
Re: 9-11 Memorial picnic pulled till I figure out new date.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 09:45:25 pm »
I see nothing stopping me from going to this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:17:29 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:25:11 pm »
So is this event still happening on Thursday or has it been officially pulled/delayed?

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 11:25:52 pm »
It's been cancelled postponed until a later date.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:29:08 pm by TanisNikana »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:57 am »
Look, Tanis, are you in charge of this picnic? Please do not make demands if the event was not suggested by you. It's rude.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:11:48 am »
Now saying something like that is just mean and jumpy. I don't get why people are being all mean and jumpy. After all, I was only quoting the title of the thread, and if quoting from the title of the thread (of which only the author of the thread has a right to change) makes me rude, then I'm sorry.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:29:37 am »
Oh, man. I totally didn't see. Sorry. ^^; That was completely my bad.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:49 am »
I just wanted an excuse to bold some text. Though I do have to wonder why people are getting all up in my grill about little things lately.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
I don't think it's just you. It may be the fact that 9/11 is closing in. Everyone gets all tensed up and emotional because that event 7 years ago is what triggered this drawn out war against all evil. Funny thing is I have a manga in the making where the main superhero character goes on the exact same crusade. And the fact is that no matter how powerful you are, no matter how much resource you put in. You will never kill all evil. Evil will never die, but neither will the good people who rise to meet them. In a sense that day, the US got suckerpunched in the face, and the angry giant retaliated swinging at every opposing force that moved, trying to exterminate forever what can never be erased. In the words of the narrator from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz "as long as humanity exists, there will always be battles." To me this is just like what a street fight would be. Instead of mauling the one who socked you with all of your anger, stay defensive and be more alert and ready to catch the next attack when it comes. Otherwise, figuratively speaking, every punch we throw at them is burning resources that could be used for problem solving within the country. Every soldier we lose weakens our strength, even though it boosts our courage to fight harder. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying this. I'm not a street fighter or a soldier (I wish I could be) so shoot me if I'm wrong on some things. This is just what I see. :-\

Now as for this event. Some people may want to stay with their families, and some may want to have the camaraderie of fellow cosplayers to share the day with. I understand the possibility of short notice as a reason to cancel, but I'm sorry to see it be canceled. Especially since cosplay was optional not required.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 09:07:17 pm »
I just wanted an excuse to bold some text. Though I do have to wonder why people are getting all up in my grill about little things lately.

I will say your first post here sounded a little curt, but nothing out of the line. I totally didn't notice the title. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I can be a real idiot more often than I'd like to admit.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:33:21 pm »

I will say your first post here sounded a little curt, but nothing out of the line. I totally didn't notice the title. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I can be a real idiot more often than I'd like to admit.
When I deliver information, I tend to do it in the shortest possible way.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:02 pm »
I figured that was your personality. My boyfriend is the same way. More "get your point across quickly" than the "letting you down slowly". It's cool.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:21:39 pm »
I figured that was your personality. My boyfriend is the same way. More "get your point across quickly" than the "letting you down slowly". It's cool.
But it only happens with information, which I like to keep as clear as possible. Everything else is verbose to the extreme.

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 10:25:31 pm »
I did not cancel it I have postponed it till I can figure anouther date. Im considering monday. I still would like to have this memorial picnic.
KumoriCon 2011

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Re: 9-11 Memorial picnic postponed until a new date if figured out.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 10:27:34 pm »
Updating previous posts to reflect the new title; don't want to get bitched out again.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:53 pm »
I'd be very interested in attending.

Would it be considered bad taste if I wore my Army ACUs to this gathering? I'm not active in the Army, but I still have my uniform from when I went through basic training.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:47 pm »
i think it would be a little more appropriate than a costume (not bashing your idea skye because I LOVE cosplaying)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:54 pm »
Erm, you're a bit late; it's been postponed to a later time.

Now if you were to show up at the later time, whenever that is, in your ACUs, well, that's your own call.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 02:46:45 pm »
I'm aware it was postponed. I'm quite capable of reading the subject of this particular thread, and half the posts toward the bottom saying it's been postponed.

I was simply saying I'd like to attend when a date is determined.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »
So it's been said that next Monday at waterfront park. Is it safe to assume that it still starts at noon, or maybe 4:00 for everyone to get out of school.

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
Re: 9-11 Memorial picnic To be held MOnday 2pm-unknown
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:39 am »
Thanks I was trying to figure time so other could still come but still last some time. Actually now that I think for a schoolday noon seems too early so we can start at 2 that will make sure that the people that go to school that get out in time do not miss all that much. Ill see if I can get those choclate chips so I can make cookies. Bring somthin if you can if you cant thats fine. Mondays perfect to because the weather channel says it will be warming.
KumoriCon 2011

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
Re: 9-11 Memorial picnic to be held Monday November 15 at 2pm to unknown
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 08:13:15 am »
Well the topic says its going to be Monday November 15 and November 15 is a Saturday.....What day exactly is this going to be?

did you mean September 15th (that is a Monday)?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:13:27 am by nikkiolie »

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:48 am »
I can't attend; I have work that day from 2 to 11. Sorry.

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 09:06:54 am »
Yes yes sorry I was thinking November for some reason. It is september.
KumoriCon 2011

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
Re: 9-11 Memorial picnic to be held Monday September 15 at 2pm to unknown
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 09:28:59 am »
I'll know latter today if I have work or not.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 01:40:19 pm »
Looks like I'm working 6am-10am this Monday, so I should be able to attend.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »
I should be able to go. I'm considering this a warmup to the 20th.

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »
Iam thinking that at 3-4 pm we will hold a moment of silence(sielence errrr).
KumoriCon 2011

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »
Aw crap, again this is what I get for not checking the KumoriCon forum for a few days.
Sounds like an interesting event. I would've come if I would've known about it. >_<

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »
I don't think I am working at all on Monday but I am not sure what my mom wants me to do, plus I need to star getting things together to move back to school...

Is this still in cosplay?

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 02:28:50 pm »
Cosplay optional.
KumoriCon 2011

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 02:37:35 pm »
ohh I think I'm going to look into attending this.

oh some picture in support of the troops

http://www.geocities.com/janus_97006/swordtank.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/janus_97006/attitude.jpg
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
First post after event! It was wet and wild with the few and the proud cosplayers that came.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:27 pm »
So there weren't a lot of people there? I couldn't make it. I had to pick my parents up at the airport at 4 so I wouldn't have been there very long if I did go. Plus me and Sayda were watching Boondock Saints ^_^

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 10:09:04 pm »
So there weren't a lot of people there? I couldn't make it. I had to pick my parents up at the airport at 4 so I wouldn't have been there very long if I did go. Plus me and Sayda were watching Boondock Saints ^_^
There were about 6 or 7 including me. We folded a US flag that I brought. I came as Trunks and most of us ran through the fountain.

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 11:25:35 am »
There was actually several of us. Let's see... Epi-herself, Me- Morrigan, Skye- Shikamaru(Femme), Inu-Tohma Seguchi, Rena-Rena, Roukin- Katana Odachi of the Renegade Turks, Erin- Herself, Trunks, Megan- Cormac the incubus... And though we left the park, when we ended up at my place we gained Femme Reno and his/her boyfriend. We had fun, running through the water, chatting and hanging out. I fell asleep in a tree... again... Anyone noticing a trend with me and that park? Some creepy guy was taking pictures of me, but I kinda ignored him. There wasn't a lot of food, so we took a trip down to a corner store. Overall we had a lot of fun, and at the end of it all... I folded an American flag for the whatever amount of time in my life, and remembered that as much as this country pisses me off... I was still born here, and I should still defend it.
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)