Author Topic: Unofficial Cosplay Chess 2009  (Read 168704 times)

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
Re: Unofficial Cosplay Chess 2009
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »
Go all evil vampirey and they coward in fear!

Another theme that would be fun is video game chars vs. manga/anime chars.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:28 am »

:D Sw33T!
I would love to see you two play as a pair in the game. That would be superb and the crowd would go crazy. When the organizer starts taking applications you and your girlfriend should apply together and ask to be a single piece on the board. Very cool idea 8)
I would love for you to do that at next years game at SC too if you are interested.

I'll ask her.  I would love to do it at s-con next year.  I bet she would too.  She was Lavi (giant hammer) in last year's k-con cosplay chess 

Cool, I don't select the players my partner & fellow coordinator does but it would be great for you both to apply.

Yo!!! Last two cosplay chess matches I was Ed Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. Now Imma be Hanabusa Aido from Vampire Knight.

Does anyone have any idea's for like attacks for him?

As far as themes.......how about shonen manga characters(Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, D.Gray-Man, etc.) against shoo manga characters(Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club, etc.)?

I'm just watching Vampire Knight now and I read an interview where the creator says that Hanabusa Aido can freeze anything with his touch, maybe an attack based on that?

To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2009, 04:57:20 pm »
Oo, that'd be cool (no pun intended.....really...)
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:23 pm »
XD (awsome unintentional pun!) But how would I do that? The ice? Should I have liek some clear shiny tissue paper or something? (i really don't know how to do that)

The ice thing was one of my original ideas but I just don't know how to pull it off other than just "pretend" it's there. (then how would people who don't know of VK know what I'm doing?)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:25 pm »
You could wrap your opponit in the paper, or something.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »
hmmm how would you do cosplay chess with out arms...
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:50 pm »
Talentedly......
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »
use lots of head butts

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
XD (awsome unintentional pun!) But how would I do that? The ice? Should I have liek some clear shiny tissue paper or something? (i really don't know how to do that)

The ice thing was one of my original ideas but I just don't know how to pull it off other than just "pretend" it's there. (then how would people who don't know of VK know what I'm doing?)

Lol, you're making me want to watch it faster so I can find out how the freeze thing works myself  ;)
You don't really need ice to appear to give the impression of something being frozen. You could say an incantation (in latin for example...just make something up) and touch a part of your attacker such as their wrist and they could yell something like "Ahh! so cold!!!" and drop their weapon gripping their damaged wrist in pain.
The audience will immediately understand what just happened, that you used a freezing attack.

You can also taunt your opponent with lines like "you know from the earliest times we vampires have been...."blessed"...if you will, with certain abilities such as a command of the cold" It works like this! (and you do much the same as I said above)

The key is that your opponent has to work with you to "sell" the cold attack. They have to react to what you do to make it believable.
Once you find out who your battle partner is, it's important to work with them to get them to play the part.

Long answer I know but that's what I was taught in theater. It's much harder to describe than to demonstrate. I have often thought of doing an acting & choreography workshop at con.
Cosplay chess and the cosplay skit contest are areas where the this kind of thing really helps.

Hope that helps,
Ja ne
Kato
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:04 pm »
Wow that's easier now! XD Thanks!!! I'll use your second idea. If you've read book one you'll know that Aido doesn't need an incantation or anything to use his ice abilities. He's just able to call on it and FREEZE|! XD I'll need to tell people that durring the meet up so they know. =^_^= Thanks for your help! (could there possibly by any other attacks I could use? I could try and bit a pretty girl. XD)

Offline SirenMarina

• Catgirl
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2009, 08:31:42 pm »
I saw how much ppl were having last year and tried it out at the cosplay picnic and I have to say
I think I might join in the joy of Cosplay chess this year...judging by my cosplays as either Dahlia Hawthorne or Maka Albarn
Kumo 2012:
Day1 America-APH (Day two?)
Day2 Karkat-HS (Day one?)
Day3 Barnaby Brooks-T&B

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:18 pm »
lol
I can just imagine Dahlia trying to kill everyone!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline SirenMarina

• Catgirl
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:02 am »
lol
I can just imagine Dahlia trying to kill everyone!
You know it
with her "poison" attack X3
Kumo 2012:
Day3 Barnaby Brooks-T&B

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2009, 02:49:38 pm »
Ooo! Are you gonna have her necklace???
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »
i wanna try to be a nobody for this

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:08 pm »
That'd be awesome! And if you don't make it, you could be one of the named nobody's attack!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »
yeah

Offline Huntress

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2009, 05:15:37 pm »
I'm trying to get some of my friends to apply as well, likely in our Soul Eater getup.

My Justin as well as a possible Yumi, Black*Star, Crona and Death.

Not a sure thing, but they at least appear interested in applying :D

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2009, 07:08:45 pm »
Hey which one of my costumes would you'all like to see me do for chess.

Link http://wildmage007.deviantart.com/

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2009, 07:32:08 pm »
deffinatly the bunny i forgot its real name

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
I like your Yamichika ;D

Is anyone being Mikuru Asahina, or Sora for cosplay chess?
Because if someone is applying as either of these two, I do not want to for them to not get in to cosplay chess because of me, or me not get in to cosplay chess because of them. It would kind of end up in a yucky situation for the both of us, so if you are planning to apply as either of these two, please tell me before sign ups for chess start.

Thanks,
Ai,
Katie
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:04 am »
Wow that's easier now! XD Thanks!!! I'll use your second idea. If you've read book one you'll know that Aido doesn't need an incantation or anything to use his ice abilities. He's just able to call on it and FREEZE|! XD I'll need to tell people that durring the meet up so they know. =^_^= Thanks for your help! (could there possibly by any other attacks I could use? I could try and bit a pretty girl. XD)

Lol, Oh yes I think biting attacks are a must! the crowd will go nuts over that....(hmm note to self; maybe I shouldn't play Tessa in the chess match...could get bitten)
I really need to read/watch more vampire knights. Do they mesmerize their victims before biting? you might use that if they do to set the scene. Kinda toy with them (stroke their cheek, play with their hair, talk about their pretty eyes, you know sensual stuff) and have them struggle before you bite.
The other way to play it is comedic where you freeze or mesmerize them then pull out swabs and sterilize their neck, talk about germs and infectious diseases..hope you don't get sick and then when you do bite them, spit like it tastes like "Ugh! Otaku! I hate days old Otaku! Its like stale Pocky!!! Gross!!!"
If your opponent is supposed to win then that breaks the freeze/mesmerize and they smack you and say something like "Well Excuse Me for tasting bad!!!"

Lol, better stop. When I get writing cosplay scenes, it takes over....it's a character flaw

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Hope I get to play opposite you on the board.
Cheers,
Kato aka Capt. Tessa or maybe Abel Nightroad

Offline Kayami

• Cabbit
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:01 am »
I went to my first Kumoricon last year (I usually attend Sakuracon), and boy was it fun. The informal hotel setting was a nice change.

I especially loved the cosplay chess event; it was a riot. So I was wondering (please forgive me if I'm making an ass of myself by asking this), how exactly does one apply to be a part of this event? What kind of things are required?

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2009, 01:46:49 pm »

Lol, Oh yes I think biting attacks are a must! the crowd will go nuts over that....(hmm note to self; maybe I shouldn't play Tessa in the chess match...could get bitten)
I really need to read/watch more vampire knights. Do they mesmerize their victims before biting? you might use that if they do to set the scene. Kinda toy with them (stroke their cheek, play with their hair, talk about their pretty eyes, you know sensual stuff) and have them struggle before you bite.
The other way to play it is comedic where you freeze or mesmerize them then pull out swabs and sterilize their neck, talk about germs and infectious diseases..hope you don't get sick and then when you do bite them, spit like it tastes like "Ugh! Otaku! I hate days old Otaku! Its like stale Pocky!!! Gross!!!"
If your opponent is supposed to win then that breaks the freeze/mesmerize and they smack you and say something like "Well Excuse Me for tasting bad!!!"

Lol, better stop. When I get writing cosplay scenes, it takes over....it's a character flaw

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Hope I get to play opposite you on the board.
Cheers,
Kato aka Capt. Tessa or maybe Abel Nightroad
You as Able Nightroad would be hilarious if I had to fight you! XD Don't worry about the story. I can get the same way XD

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »
I went to my first Kumoricon last year (I usually attend Sakuracon), and boy was it fun. The informal hotel setting was a nice change.

I especially loved the cosplay chess event; it was a riot. So I was wondering (please forgive me if I'm making an ass of myself by asking this), how exactly does one apply to be a part of this event? What kind of things are required?
you have to wait for sign ups and you have to have pictures of your completed costume then peoples decide if your in

Offline SirenMarina

• Catgirl
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:41 pm »
Ooo! Are you gonna have her necklace???
I'm gonna try but that necklace is a betch to find and/or make but if I can it will be amazing lol
Kumo 2012:
Day3 Barnaby Brooks-T&B

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2009, 10:22:11 pm »
I would like to be Wario in this.
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 02:22:42 pm »
I would like to be Wario in this.
XD That'd be sooo cool!!! XD

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »
I'm applying as Sora
Any issues with that?
It is going to be...

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2009, 04:59:37 pm »
How do we apply?
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline LadyYunaBraska

• Cabbit
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2009, 11:59:45 am »
 I'll most likely apply as Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler). I have a Sebastian who would probably be my support character. Is there any problem with this? My sister and her friend will be Madam Red and Grell, they will most likely want to apply to chess as well.

If all four of us do, we should probably be on opposite sides of the boards. (Imagines Grell vs Sebastian and giggles)

That Butler: So Doomed.
~Kumoricon '10~

Roxas [Organization XIII] -The Kingdom Hearts series -- 5%
 No one would miss me . . .

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2009, 04:25:46 am »
Cosplay Chess sign-ups should be up by this weekend, so keep an eye out for the official post.

Things to keep in mind:

You will need to submit a photo with your registration.
This is not first come, first serve.. it's based on your costume, so there is no rush to get in, just by the deadline.
You can submit more than one cosplay, and it increases your chances of being selected.
This is not a pre-scripted event, and it's not the best game of chess ever played ;D  The point is to have fun.

Last year we had enough time/people for 2 games, but that is not a guarantee.  I try to get as many people to play as possible, but we are limited by time and space available.

This will take place Monday, so if you are chosen, you need to plan accordingly for checking out of the hotel.  And no, there will not be multiple events.. it's a one shot on Monday, sorry.

Oh, and in response to a question a few posts back: no, your non-peacebonded whip will not be allowed.  Any weapons used in the game must be peacebonded.

And as inventive as some of your attacks are, please, nothing that will make a mess, or cause a hazard to the other players.  If you have a something specific in mind, you can run it past me.. but you don't need to be elaborate with your attacks.

That all being said.. as far as theme, we will see what plays out, depending on the characters submitted.  We were lucky enough to have men vs. women last year, for a battle of the sexes.  Who knows what we will have this year :D (altho I'm rooting for good vs evil)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:26:50 am by Jamiche »
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline bucket_stalker

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2009, 04:30:18 am »
ok hopefully that gives me enough time to finish my dusk cosplay and yes good vs evil would be awsome

Offline AriaxKitsune

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2009, 11:48:03 am »
oh boy if it's good vs. evil which side will Chii and Freya be on lol (they're one combined piece)

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:04 pm »
Wario can go either way, he's a bit of an anti-hero.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2009, 01:28:10 am »
I'm probably gonna just apply with all my cosplays that I have done, and go from there.

Ducky, you could find a perfume bottle that was similar and put it on a chain. Since that pretty much what it is.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
I HAD AN EPIC IDEA!
Since I canceled Allen walker, I've been trying to figure out who to be.
You guys remember the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho?
You remember the wolf-girl commentator?
Wouldn't it be awesome if I cosplayed her?
And signed up to be the commentator for Cosplay chess?
I think that that would be amazing.

"I mean, I love blood-shed and pain as much as the next girl, but this isn't a fair or fun fight! He's unconscious!"

It is going to be...

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2009, 12:11:26 am »
lol
Sounds like a plan, SN!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:06 am »
Should I enter as Roy Mustang in the chess? O:
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2009, 02:02:07 pm »
I think so.
I love Roy, but IDK if most people do.
I'd say shoot for the moon.
You've got nothing to loose, right?
(Unless you have really super bad stage fright, and freeze up, then that could end badly...)
It is going to be...

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2009, 06:34:00 pm »
ah, I feel loved c':
Haha, yeah. or really don't care XDD
really? I mean , there isn't many FMA cosplayers this year that I know of.
Uh , I hope not o wo;; I mean I look weird in the costume. Yet again its my first time wearing it and have short hair. lol.
( XDDDDD uh..kinda , But  could live ~ )
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »
Really?
I saw bazillions of Eds last year.
But we're getting off topic.

I say, you enter.
It is going to be...

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:41 pm »
I think you should! Burning others into a invisible fiery crisp would be EPIC! And I'm sure there'll be just as many FMA cosplayers this year! (I loved the Armstrong from last year!!!)

Anywho, I'm trying to get my cosplays done soon, so I can get my applications in. Cause, if I don't do it soon, I'll forget about it and then realize it the last day and freak and probably not get them in.........
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:01 am »
And I'm sure there'll be just as many FMA cosplayers this year! (I loved the Armstrong from last year!!!)

Yes I'm pretty sure there will be a resergance FMA cosplayers b/c of FMA2. Also I know that alot of the cosplayers don't venture onto this forum, like the Armstrong you mentioned, he for one is on cosplay.com. I am planning on bringing 3 different FMA costumes, FMA2 Martel, Olivia Armstrong, and my OC Procrastination.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2009, 01:19:30 am »
Sweet! I can't wait to see your cosplays! I really want to cosplay Envy sometime, but I need to trim down so I don't make him look bad ^^;
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »
I know what you mean, I'm having to slim for both Procrastination and my Secret cosplay.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »
DUDE this just occured to me. I dont know if we could actually fo this or if its been mentioned before, but what if we did a game of cosplay chess at the square. it has perfect seating! The whole statium set up would allow more people to see it. as opposed to a flat level boring room... ^_^

(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »
That would be awesome! And the confused "normal" people could watch too!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2009, 09:59:50 am »
rotfl YES! and we could have a cheesey mic set up.. (because it will be cheaper. like portable radio  with microphone attachments... like kareoke radios i have one but it is kinda dead
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2009, 09:01:31 pm »
Maybe we should plan this some other time, not during kcon. Since there'll be other stuff going on, we might not even have enough players...
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)