Author Topic: Does any one find this offensive?  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
Does any one find this offensive?
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:46 am »
Team Spain recently had an ad for the Olympics which showed them pulling their eyes back to back them look more "slanted" or "Chinese." I think its kind of funny really, though it does bring back memories of being beat up while growing up for having slanted eyes to begin with. Here's the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26193825/

It's ironic really, since the whole idea of "slanted eyes" and bring proud of them is what spawned the idea for The Slants.

See you in a few days!

<3 sy

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Re: Does any one find this offensive?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:39:23 am »
I think there are a lot of nations in the world that see nothing wrong with what we would consider politically incorrect.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:41:49 am »
I've seen this photo floating around... and though I don't think it's incredibly offensive, I wouldn't consider it "affectionate" either (as they say in the article).

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:47:31 am »
ya i would have to say alittle bit

China bound!!!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:51:20 am »
As others have said, it doesn't offend me to a great degree, but it certainly doesn't rub me the right way either. They knew what they were doing when they posed that way in the photo, they knew the connotations that go with a gesture like that, even if it is not commonplace in Spain. It is just rude and irresponsible, not in good taste. I'm not so much offended by it as I am disappointed. These are supposed to be people elevated to a heroic status by their respective nation and this is how they present themselves on a global scale? Tsk Tsk.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:51 am »
It looks like they're making A's, with the yellow from their shirts and their arms attached to their heads like that.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 01:01:04 am »
erm well i dont find it that offensive, honestly they could have been trying to be funny or something... but im kinda oblivios to offendin g people (aprently i do it a lot) and they have diffrent costumes in spain, things are looser, more fun, the consiquences of offendin some one arnt as drastic as they get laughed off... es pura vida, toda es bueno in las paisas latinos para mucho de la tiempo con la eception de lucha y cosas como esto...

(for those who speak spanish im sorry my grammer and spellin are rusty)

but basicly they dont consider that as an insult as much as the chinese would because of where they come from. it was just a geasture about where they were playing in the olympics
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:07:22 am »
^ That's the main reason I said on a global scale (which the Olympics are) it is an irresponsible thing to do, because of the global audience, not just those from Spain.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:08:40 am »
^ That's the main reason I said on a global scale (which the Olympics are) it is an irresponsible thing to do, because of the global audience, not just those from Spain.
ya but when you have asain relitives it kind makes you mad

China bound!!!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 01:08:56 am »
exactly but theywerent thinking about that -o- they thought more of their people then those of the world

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:23 am »
Yeah, and that lack of "big picture thinking" makes it kind of ignorant, in my opinion.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:59 am »
*shrugs* thats just how some of them are i guess... they were raised in that country taught by those ideals, they dont always really even know that other countrys act diffrent or it hasnt registered because theyve lived in spain all their life where they grew up that way. if that makes any sense

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:48 am »
Oh yeah, I can definitely understand how people could think that way. I know that there are people like that in every culture and nation, so I don't mean to target those from Spain when I say anything here. It is just that they are the Olympians in the spotlight in this particular topic. But yes, I do know what you mean.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 01:19:42 am »
ah yeah they should have tried to think some more about other cultures before they did it... although i think the media is over reacting a bit about it, although again that could just be my personal ignorance xD

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 01:21:57 am »
Does anyone else see the A?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:52:37 am »
*shrugs* thats just how some of them are i guess... they were raised in that country taught by those ideals, they dont always really even know that other countrys act diffrent or it hasnt registered because theyve lived in spain all their life where they grew up that way. if that makes any sense
But some of those players play here in America for the NBA. Was there not one person in that group who said "this might offend some people"? I cant go to work and make racist jokes and just say "oh thats how I was raised" I would be fired on the spot.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:11 am »
its not much of an excuse its just perhaps a reason why.

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:25 am »
I guess it all goes back to intent.  Lots of seemingly innocent things can be construed as offensive if taken out of context, and the closer a situation resembles something personal to an individual, the more likely they are to take offense to it.  So, while it would not be a personal attack to me if someone "slanted" their eyes at me, if they're doing it to an Asian person, or I have context to know their intent is to make fun of an Asian person, then I'm going to have to have words with that person. 

Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Mailorder

• Cabbit
    • Aftercon Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:21 am »
I'm an Asian dude.  My initial reaction to the photo was "meh".  I don't think they meant any harm by it.  Maybe they shouldn't have done it, but it's no big deal.

I like how the article states that most Mainland Chinese people aren't offended by it - in fact, some think it's a compliment, stating that slanted eyes are considered to be beautiful in China.  Makes you wonder if American kids in China are being made fun of by Chinese kids, using their fingers to make their eyes all big!

so yep~

GO GO GO

Offline fuzzyfurrydragon

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 12:11:42 pm »
Hmm

I don't find that racist, they're clearly showing that they wish they had amazing slanted eyes like other asians, and they are attempting to do so by stretching their faces out.

-_o

Naw, just kidding, I think it's just lame.

Kumoricon 08' will take my con virginity~

Offline scream aim fire

• Cabbit
    • @deviantart
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »
i'm chinese, and i don't find it particularly offensive, though i do think it's rather stupid and childish.

whether it's meant as a joke or not, it's still going to be seen by some people as mocking, insulting, etc. : /

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:12:15 pm »
I'm Chinese, and I thought it was silly.  Doesn't offend me at all.  That's the kind thing I'd do joking around with my other asian friends on a particularly immature day. 

I know someone else who is asian who would be immediately offended by it, but really it depends on the audience...

"That's so gay" is an example of this...  I identify as lesbian (here we go again) and I'm offended by it, but I know many gay men who use it themselves or aren't bothered by it.  It depends on the person. 

(And yes, I see the A, but I had to conciously look for it first.)
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
I think it is funny. I don't find it offensive >_> then again I am not Asian ^_^

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »
OBJECTION!!!!!!!!

*laughs* honestly nothing bothers me
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:26 pm »
I don't find many things offensive >_> I am kinda a horrible person...

there was this story on 4chan about this girls sister. She had a picture up and she was fat. The sister was talking about how her sister posted a picture of herself and everyone made fun on of her. She then goes on to say that "this beautiful woman hung herself last night"

The respond was "must have been some strong rope"

That made my day. I was laughing all day XD

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 08:01:29 pm »
I don't find it offensive either, but no matter what, there's always going to be at least one person offended by everything, since it's impossible to appease everyone. I thought the eye slanting thing was pretty amusing personally x3

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 08:09:12 pm »
Oh stereotypes, they will never go away XD

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 08:43:32 pm »
I don't find many things offensive >_> I am kinda a horrible person...

there was this story on 4chan about this girls sister. She had a picture up and she was fat. The sister was talking about how her sister posted a picture of herself and everyone made fun on of her. She then goes on to say that "this beautiful woman hung herself last night"

The respond was "must have been some strong rope"

That made my day. I was laughing all day XD
My cousin Eric died 4 years ago, he was 14, he was found by his brother in their house. For two days we thought he hung him self untill some of his friends admitted to their parents that they were there when it happened and it was an accident. They were so scared they ran out of the house. I wont go into more detail but would you like to laugh at him too? When people die its not funny, it destroys families and it still hurts.

Offline Halcyon

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 09:37:25 pm »
I'm Chinese and it's no big deal at all.  If the "Motherland" thinks it's ok, then that's telling, I think.  I actually laughed, just people having fun at the Olympics, that's all.
~I've got another confession to make, I'm your fool~

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:24 pm »
I'll clarify my stance on the whole thing - I'm Chinese as well and I grew up in a period of time where people weren't as tolerant towards those who were different...

I grew up with kids pulling their eyes back and shouting "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, look at these." I was beaten up and had rocks thrown at me while being called a gook, a chink, and other pretty racist terms.

Yet, I thought the photo was pretty funny. I think people can be offended as much as they let others get to them. I don't think the team was trying to be offensive...and people in mainline China didn't see any racist overtones to it anyway. It seemed like their reaction was more like - what is going on and what're they doing?

Cultural references aren't relevant in every part of the world. For example, if someone does the peace sign (or V for victory sign) here, it means just that. In Europe though, its the same thing as flipping someone off. Obviously Chinese officials in Beijing didn't even get it...and that's a media source that is extremely thorough in what they think would harm their society...so no harm was probably intended and the Spanish team probably didn't realize it'd be offensive to Asian-Americans.

Overall, I just think it's funny. But then again, that's coming from an Asian guy in an Asian band called "The Slants"

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »
I think there are a lot of nations in the world that see nothing wrong with what we would consider politically incorrect.
And they are probably right, as it was a joke, not a slur on asians. Political correctness is killing comedy these days, and it often serves little to no purpose than to make ourselves feel smug and somehow more sophisticated.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 03:32:54 am »
It kind of amuses me that all the asians here are like, "Yeah, whatever dude.  They can do what they want." 

The only people who are remotely offended by it are the non asian posters, as far as I can tell. 8D;;
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:07 am »
It kind of amuses me that all the asians here are like, "Yeah, whatever dude.  They can do what they want." 

The only people who are remotely offended by it are the non asian posters, as far as I can tell. 8D;;

It's kind of like that with our band name and other things that seem to come up all the time...so for all those non-Asians out there, thank you for being offended on my behalf.

^_^

Offline KakashiKiba

• Oni
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 09:54:36 am »
I just find it silly.
But then again, I don't get offended easily.
I just think it was something they did for attention or to be funny and people took it too far.
Psh, only white people get offended like this.
We're supposed to be afraid to do things like that because of what happened in the past.
I say we just move on and have fun.
Life is no fun if you worry too much.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 11:27:29 am »
Considering the amount of black that Team USA basketball gets for doing anything, I found it pretty ridiculous. I mean, hardly anyone even cared. Yet for some reason, I know that if LeBron James was doing that instead of Pau Gasol then you'd have a lot of people talking how tasteless and immature Team USA is.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery