Author Topic: Cosplay Misfortunes  (Read 12953 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Cosplay Misfortunes
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 08:22:58 am »
A lot of the stuff you can't even tell that I glued, and with my horrible sewing it looks much better if I glue.

Offline YamiNoKaze

• Cabbit
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:37 am »
so you get/make a pattern and just hot glue it rather then sew it?  I buy the base parts because I can't sew, if that actually works I might be able to make the whole thing from scratch...cause I'm never gonna be able to sew.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 10:03:45 am »
Hmm I may need to invest in a hot glue gun!
Secrety secrets!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 10:29:33 am »
While gluing bias tape onto my pants (which are a weird stretchy material), I did the top half laid out, and the bottom half glued while I was wearing them. Results? Better doing it laid out - the bottom half was kinda wrinkly.
As for the tape that actually wraps around my legs - too tight! They kinda busted when I bent down, lol. It isn't terrible though.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
This isn't necessarily a Cosplay misfortune, but it has to do with the con. :-O
I have to meet with someone tomorrow at the train station, rather then picking her up today. It's gonna be a mess. ~ ~
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:04 pm »
Hmm I may need to invest in a hot glue gun!

A small glue gun and bag of 100 sticks will cost you about ten bucks at Michaels. You can find them in the floral department. If you're not used to hot glue, get a mini white glue gun. I believe that's the one that runs at a lower temperature. It's not as beneficial or quick as the mini blue high temperature one, but if you get it on your fingers, it won't hurt nearly as bad. Make sure that if you buy a small glue gun that you buy small glue sticks. Small glue sticks are about the size of a pencil eraser around, and the large ones are about the size of a dime.

Also, check the Sunday Early edition of the Oregonian to see if there's an add with attached %40 one non-sale item coupon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:58:54 pm by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 01:54:28 pm »
I need to find a bag of those 100 sticks. Last time I was at Micheal's I only saw a bag of 40, and I have gone through that in no time. I'm a glue addict though, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »
It's pretty standard. If they don't have it in the floral department aisles, they might have bags of 100 sticks hanging on endcaps where the floral stems are. My 100 bag is a godsend TT^TT

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »
Nice. I've got about 6 sticks left, and I'm gonna try to make them last but if I run out, it's off to the floral section I go, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »
I have about 20 sticks left. I would buy like five packs of 30 at a time. I use it so much.

As for making costumes most of mine I've been able to just alter shirts and what not to the way I want them so i have never really used a pattern.....except once when I made a sailor collar or my costume and I hand sewed it because I had no idea how to use the machine and my parents weren't home. The a few weeks latter I made the collar for my friends at school (where I didn't have any thread) and I used glue it it looked much better than the one I made.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »
I bought fangs to mold for my teeth... since my canine tooth has switched with my premolar (it's only noticeable when I open my mouth and show you) they won't mold >:(
Gawr gwar grr.
What a waste :'(
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »
I can't wear my cosplay to con this year ><
i might not even be going... lame
there is a slim slim chance that i can though  :-[
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:59:46 pm by NightLotus »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:47 pm »
Whaat? Oh no! I'm sorry. I hope you can. I won't ask what happened, but hopefully everything's relatively okay.

About the fangs, go on the kit's website, maybe? Maybe there's a 1-800 number you can call for advice.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2008, 04:01:48 pm »
Miss Fortune stole some of my reflective tape and took its place, so now I'm short some tape and all I have in its stead is misfortune, lol.

Wordplay is fun.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2008, 04:03:33 pm »
bad.... pun >< yarg.... die

if i am going to con it will suck, because i will have a parent possie ><

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:38 pm »
At least you'd get to go though....and hopefully they wouldn't smother you or anything, give you some freedom.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06:59 pm »
bad.... pun >< yarg.... die

if i am going to con it will suck, because i will have a parent possie ><

It won't necessarily suck, but it will be what we old folks call "a drag". ;) I totally understand, though. That's why my friends and I opted for a hotel room rather than staying over at someone's house. We all live about a half hour from the convention, but that's a lot of driving back and forth, and we can be loud, noisy, and not have any parents or siblings bugging us. Not that we have a problem with our parents or siblings, it's just... awkward.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2008, 02:01:02 am »
Crap, I just got super glue all over my teeth.

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:40 am »
Crap, I just got super glue all over my teeth.
O.O Its better then toxic glue! :D I ate some once! Not for fun, on accident. Whole mouth went numb and my throat swelled up. It was pretty awesome.
Hope you can get it off though!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2008, 02:14:55 am »
O.O Its better then toxic glue! :D I ate some once! Not for fun, on accident. Whole mouth went numb and my throat swelled up. It was pretty awesome.

It's kind of chipping off. For the record I was holding the glue-ee pieces together and attempting to put the cap back on the tube with my teeth.

I missed.

To top that, the pieces didn't even stick. This is the longest drying super glue ever.

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:49 am »

It's kind of chipping off. For the record I was holding the glue-ee pieces together and attempting to put the cap back on the tube with my teeth.

I missed.

To top that, the pieces didn't even stick. This is the longest drying super glue ever.
Hahaha, well then. You got lucky, I say.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2008, 06:19:40 am »

I missed.

I was going to ask.......but you explained it ;D

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2008, 11:41:44 am »
Hmmm due to lack of wig I was scrambling, but then last night!*wavery flashback* I was packing when the old Adult Swim came on and I kept watching and up came Robot Chicken and I realized! I can do the Robot Chicken Final Fantasy parody of Tifa!*End flashback* Now I just gotta dig out my suspenders, black pants, and a white shirt that I can color lines on then make the hat and name tag!!! I already have a wig that can work! Huzzah for random insites to the universe!
Secrety secrets!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:47 am »
That would be great to see. When will you be doing this?

Offline The Sphinxyness

• Cabbit
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
I decided to make my Judai costume last minute. XD Now I'm scrambling to find or make a red jacket and a plushy before tomorrow. And some white pants though that won't be too hard. ^^; As for last year with my Xigbar costume, my white hair die in my wig started to fade away so it remained black instead of black with white stripes.. And my very noticable red-brown hair poked out from under it constantly.. XD And I like died in the hot weather wearing all black. lol

As for the pressing back you chest I got lucky with the fact my Organization cloak was so baggy I was mistaken for a guy. XD But I'm not going to be so lucky with Judai so I personally am going to use bandages to tie myself back and prey since I'm not too gifted it'll work. xD
Kumori-con '11: If I go, my boyfriend and I will be going as Lucy Heartfilia (me) and Loki (boyfriend) from Fairy Tail

Current Bishounen of the week: My boyfriend <3 lol

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2008, 04:01:06 pm »
I am happy and sad at the same time... My blonde wig showed up just today so I will be able to do the costume with it so the Tifa has been bumped from the roster. I will do it next year with my Yomiko Readman cosplay!
Secrety secrets!

Offline CC3

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2008, 07:27:48 pm »
Arg my wig is more red then brown.  :'( Look for an unhappy Chihiro tomorrow. (The wig is also massive)

Offline ~X~Hyuuga Neji~X~

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:33 pm »
Hello hello XD; Sorry I've been not replying, I'm not ignoring this place I swear. O_O

Lychee: I ended up wearing my Kusuriuri costume anyways because I decided to shell out 90 bucks for hair extensions x_X I was cosplaying him on saturday, I hope you saw me XD <3

Also, an update on a misfortune lol. I was cosplaying Obito today (For cosplay chess) And the stupid leg wrap kept falling. It had to be fixed 5 times in the course of...2 hours I believe. Also, another thing that happened last year I cosplayed him XD They ripped a hole in the crotch rofl. Thank god I wear boxers though because it made it hardly noticeable >_> <_<

Yet another happening this year though: Blisters from my Faust VIII boots, and makeup on my Faust VIII scarf as well XD I dunno if it'll wash out...

HOWEVER. I'm happy to announce that my sword for Kusuriuri made it there and back in one piece because I devised a way for it to travel safely <3 Huzzah! I hope to hear an update on more things since the con is over now XD;

This is pathetic....We're cracking up over a sadistic BIRD...

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:42 pm »
Because I dyed my wig, my collar was stained burgundy. DX Despite the fact I washed the wig twice.. I hope 90% rubbing alcohol will get it out.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:18 pm »
I was doing some last-minute touchups on my C.C. costume saturday night at the con, and the poor thing got stepped on twice by people in the hotel, since the only open space we had to leave it to dry was on the floor.  We were able to fix most of the smears, and since it was on the back of the jacket it wasn't very noticable, but it was still stressful!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:33 pm »
Hello hello XD; Sorry I've been not replying, I'm not ignoring this place I swear. O_O

Lychee: I ended up wearing my Kusuriuri costume anyways because I decided to shell out 90 bucks for hair extensions x_X I was cosplaying him on saturday, I hope you saw me XD <3

Yeah, I saw you! I was the Davy Jones that quite literally went tearing after you asking you to stop for a picture. I'm still thrilled that you went as the Kusuriuri. I've got two pics of you, too! I put them up on photobucket, and the link is in the second page of the Picture link forum thread.

You seriously made my friend's and my day.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2008, 11:07:39 pm »

Yeah, I saw you! I was the Davy Jones that quite literally went tearing after you asking you to stop for a picture. I'm still thrilled that you went as the Kusuriuri. I've got two pics of you, too! I put them up on photobucket, and the link is in the second page of the Picture link forum thread.

You seriously made my friend's and my day.

Aw..That one wasnt me XD; I actually had the sword and I had really tall Geta...;3; Not many people asked for my picture, it made me a little sad.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2008, 11:17:06 pm »
WHAT!? THere were two Kusuriuri's?! Oh man, I would've totally taken a picture of you had I known! I'm sorry. I'm a huge fangirl of the Medicine Seller. If you have a picture, I'd love to see it, and add it to my Kumoricon folder if you'd let me :) I won't take credit for it. I just add pictures to my folder if its someone I saw and liked but wasn't able to snap myself.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:04 am »
WHAT!? THere were two Kusuriuri's?! Oh man, I would've totally taken a picture of you had I known! I'm sorry. I'm a huge fangirl of the Medicine Seller. If you have a picture, I'd love to see it, and add it to my Kumoricon folder if you'd let me :) I won't take credit for it. I just add pictures to my folder if its someone I saw and liked but wasn't able to snap myself.

Yeah..XD; If I find one from someone else I'll let you know. I had a couple people take pictures...Or I'll just go take pictures on my own. >>; XD; Meh that seems to always happen to me. Someone else cosplays as Kusuriuri and...Then no one seems to care if a second one appears. *Le sigh. Emo corner*

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2008, 03:51:02 pm »
I past out because of chest binding during my Edward (cowboy bebop) cosplay.

I would like to recommend this to you, and all other female crossplayers. A friend of mine who crossplays found this site, and while it is generally for transmen pre-op, they work wonders for female crossplayers. She told me that the material is comfortable and you can breath while your chest is effectively compressed to a male form. They are somewhat spendy but they last for a very long time and are worth not having to risk injury to yourself. While it might not work for all cosplays I hope that this helps someone... I get so worried when girls pass out from their bindings. (It has happened to my friends before, as well as large portions of ripped skin) >_<

The site is: http://t-kingdom.com/

As far as cosplay misfortunes for meee... the con was amazing, though I was very sad that I was unable to finish my Hakkai (Saiyuki Reload) cosplay. A few mishaps happened with the shirt and I was unable to mend them with the supplies I had at the hotel. So I just slapped on my Otacon and wore that on Sunday. Which brings me to my next bout of sadness: No one recognized me as Otacon. Even a Snake who was two feet away and looking right at me didn't notice. I also was unable to find that "This is not Snake" box while I was Otacon, I wanted a picture with it so badly. v_v

Oddly enough to funnest time I had in outfit was when I was punk!Ritsuka (or, as I was frequently, called Emo-Neko). And then I wore that outfit, minus the wig/ears and tail, at the Rave. That was beyond awesome. For the first time my favorite part of the con was not cosplaying, but instead being able to dress how I wanted (I could never wear mesh or anything dark-like at home) and all the people I met. I greatly look forward to next year and seeing everyone again!!!
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline Mesami

• Cabbit
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »
When I was working on my wings the needle on the sewing machine broke....3 times ><.
List of next years Possible Cosplays:

Witch Hunter Robin
Alice from Alice in Wonderland
Draco Malfoy
Cardcaptor Sakura