Author Topic: 2008 Cosplay Chess: Teams Assignments  (Read 159416 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2008 Cosplay Chess: Teams Assignments
« Reply #350 on: September 06, 2008, 03:02:59 am »
But for good vs evil I imagine many snags. What if they used to be good/evil but are now evil/good and whatnot? What if they don't really have a side, would there be a "neutral" team? XD

Why would that be a problem? Most neutral characters wouldn't be out of place fighting on either side, even if the idea is that they aren't permanently tethered to either good or evil. ;) Failing that, the event organizer and the cosplayer can negotiate.

For those that are going to September 20th picnic we are going to have a chess game. In the "plan your own adventures" thread there is a sign up if anyone is interested

I didn't make it to Cosplay Chess this year, but I'd love to talk to the people who participated. I'm looking into the possibility of starting another panel/event that would provide an additional outlet for people seeking excuses to stage improvised mock battles.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #351 on: September 06, 2008, 04:52:44 pm »
I wish we had a bigger time slot so each time had a chance to play twice or something like how there was three teams this year...

if we get three teams for 2009 maybe it should go like

1vs2
winner of last one vs 3

winner of second match vs loser of the first

??? It would give everyone a chance of two games I think, unless my math is wrong. Cause I think a few pawns got upseat when they died in their first move : (

That sounds likefun, but i think we should do the games on differeant days.

Between packing all our stuff and attending the premeet, I had no time to get anything to eat.  As much fun as I weas having, Byakuya and i were albiet preying that would lose so we could get soemthing to eat before I passed out.  ( he was okay, but he wanted me to get food becuase I get REALLY bitchy I'm hungry)

Offline Satsukicosplayer

• Cabbit
    • Wildlife Publishers
« Reply #352 on: September 06, 2008, 07:40:05 pm »
does anyone have any videos of it? i would have loved to see it!
i'm misha0angel from youtube please checkout my channel
http://youtube.com/misha0angel
and my deviantart
http://kittycatangelwings.deviantart.com

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #353 on: September 06, 2008, 08:37:27 pm »
I wish we had a bigger time slot so each time had a chance to play twice or something like how there was three teams this year...

if we get three teams for 2009 maybe it should go like

1vs2
winner of last one vs 3

winner of second match vs loser of the first

??? It would give everyone a chance of two games I think, unless my math is wrong. Cause I think a few pawns got upseat when they died in their first move : (

That sounds likefun, but i think we should do the games on differeant days.

Between packing all our stuff and attending the premeet, I had no time to get anything to eat.  As much fun as I weas having, Byakuya and i were albiet preying that would lose so we could get soemthing to eat before I passed out.  ( he was okay, but he wanted me to get food becuase I get REALLY bitchy I'm hungry)
I like the idea of games on different days. That would also get people a chance to see at least one. We could do one Saturday, one sunday and two on monday.

that would be if there were four teams.....I think
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:37:45 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #354 on: September 06, 2008, 10:04:27 pm »
yeah :3 I think that sounds like a great idea! Give more people a chance to get on the teams, and make sure everyone has a chance to have some fun and not get killed flat out on the first move!

also if we are doing it tournement style, shouldnt there be four chestmasters? one for each team.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2008, 05:48:37 pm »
Perhaps light colors versus darker colors? I'onno, I'm still kinda sore over Ganondorf making me cannon fodder within the first five minutes. I'm not participating next year, probably not gonna watch either.

That's taking a bit personally.  It isn't as though he was thinking " I hate that  Richi I'm so gonna take her out first"
SOMEONE has to go first unfortunately it was you had you been standing just one square over, it would have been someone else.

It's not as though I was trying to. I just had my hopes up for who knows how long of participating in the whole long game, and then all of a sudden BAM, I'm gone.

'Sides, I'm over it now. I think I'll do it next year as Angeal.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2008, 01:23:22 pm »
I'm glad that you gotten over it....but I do know what you mean. I was so looking forward to in and in the first game I didn't get to attack I just stood there for half of it then died.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2008, 02:12:51 pm »
again that is why I like my tournament idea. xD

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2008, 08:08:40 pm »
I had to leave right after white v. black, but I saw enough of it to want to participate next year. ^^
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2008, 08:49:17 pm »
as another comment to the not a lot of action thing i have this to say...

as some one who also plays chess I learn that you tend to pick a favorite piece... for me its the bishop, I dunno why. I use the bishop for most of my atacking... a lot of chess players have favorite pieces for attack, and often its luck of the draw in how much you get to attack. I noticed in a few of the games that there were a few characters that saw more action than the others simpley because of the piece they played.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #360 on: September 13, 2008, 10:16:14 pm »
Yeah white team's chess master said she didn't use the knight a lot and that was the reason I didn't get a lot of action.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2008, 09:26:35 pm »

as some one who also plays chess I learn that you tend to pick a favorite piece... for me its the bishop, I dunno why. I use the bishop for most of my atacking... a lot of chess players have favorite pieces for attack, and often its luck of the draw in how much you get to attack. I noticed in a few of the games that there were a few characters that saw more action than the others simpley because of the piece they played.

Hooray for Bishops!

I was really worried that I would just die.

In the last chess game I played I was told many times that the bishop is only there to sacrifice in place of more important pieces.

My only regret..is that I didn't die epically enough.

I'm rather fond of rooks myself.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2008, 11:42:45 pm »
I couldn't think of an epic way to kill Garnet. T.T ways to kill others, yes. But ways for self to die, no.

But next year, with Yuna. ^^ *planning* Maybe running off with a Valefor like she did to escape the wedding. Or get a Tidus to drag her away. OR BETTER! If there was a Tidus on the opposing team... >: D *mumbles to self whilst planning*
KumoriCon 2012

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »

Hooray for Bishops!

I was really worried that I would just die.

In the last chess game I played I was told many times that the bishop is only there to sacrifice in place of more important pieces.

My only regret..is that I didn't die epically enough.

I'm rather fond of rooks myself.
hehe i was a nun-bishop
and died fast. but i had a kill!
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2008, 02:41:19 am »
Man, cosplay chess was so much fun. :3  I didn't think I'd get to play, but I'm so glad I did.  Bummer Black Team had to forfeit, but I'm definitely signing up next year. :D

The only problem I can see with having games on multiple days is that the pieces will have to miss quite a bit of the con.  The chess game took up most of Monday, and if you had to go to two/three days of games, you'd miss a good chunk of the convention. :/
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2008, 11:08:04 am »

The only problem I can see with having games on multiple days is that the pieces will have to miss quite a bit of the con.  The chess game took up most of Monday, and if you had to go to two/three days of games, you'd miss a good chunk of the convention. :/

I don't mind. Chess is easily the most fun I have at any convention.

I really don't go to any panels  and it always makes me sad that it isn't until the last day that it really seems 'like a con'.

Besides, this way we can have multiple characters per person, with more options for epic battles.

Maybe we could even have on or two planned, so that the final battle reaches it's greatest potential.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2008, 03:42:01 pm »
well I imagine if your not playing then you dont have to be there...

but we could try to fit the pre matchs on like saturday when theres not ussualy a lot going on or something and then save the final for monday or sunday?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2008, 04:23:45 pm »
The problem with scheduling the matches over the 3 days is time and space.  It takes the hotel time to remove the chairs for the clear area for the board (and it's a typical policy that only hotel staff can do it).  So that's and half-hour to and hour before and after the match.  And given the size of the event, it needs to be held in a bigger room, so options on where to play it is limited... if you look at last year's schedule, Live Events was a pretty busy room. (Outside is not a good option - where is the space?  Security?  And rain?)

Then there are time conflicts - Saturday, people are still in reg lines.  Sunday, Cosplay.  That is one of the reasons for having it on Monday.  Yes it takes a chunk of time, but it's also when we have the most time available for it.  The event deals with a lot of people - 16 people to a team, making sure everyone is there,knows the board.  And getting people in the room... squeezing in as many people as possible to watch took time (hopefully, next year we won't have to turn people away).
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2008, 04:34:40 pm »
do we have all of the hilton this year? or are we sharing it >.> if we have all of it perhaps there is someplace that wont be in use (doubt it but I can hope) that we could possibley dedicate to it?

what about saturday evening after the lines have closed? ._.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2008, 04:42:19 pm »
We have all of the Hilton, and are not sharing it with anyone else.  But go back and look at the schedule, and you can see how busy late afternoons and evenings could be.

I'm not trying to shoot down anyone's ideas.. Cosplay Chess is one of my favorite events, and I'm glad everyone has fun participating.  But we have limited space that we have to share with other events, and that means making compromises.  So yeah, we have Monday... but we also rule Monday, because so far, we don't have any competition ;D
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »
yeah that is another nice thing.....unless you are just watching then you have to get there really really early to be able to see x.x

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »
well nothing really happens, maybe just make cosplay chess longer or something on monday? I dunno

oslapedo

« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2008, 05:07:48 pm »
I loved cosplay chess, and I'd miss events for it, I suppose, but I thought it was nice being able to commit my whole day to it on Monday. Pretty much on Monday I woke up, hung out with TMoHS-ers, cosplay chess, home. It was a nice way to end things, I think  :)