Author Topic: Tounaments for Kumoricon 2005  (Read 15571 times)

Offline kalira

• Chibi
Tounaments for Kumoricon 2005
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:42:47 pm »
Hello all!  I am starting to prepair for 2005 and I was wondering, what do people want to see for tounaments?  Last year we had Mario Kart Double Dash, Soul Caliber 2, Smash Bros, and at least one other guilty gear I think?  I don't remeber.  I was asleep when they were running it.  Anyways, what games do you want to see this year, and what rules?

-Kalira
2005 Kumoricon Gaming Coordinator

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:34:46 pm »
Hi, I was the one guy who ran the guilty gear XX #Reload tourney.
Next year there should be several new games out...
Id love to be able to get another #reload tourney up, cause that game doesnt get enough coverage in the portland area, and it should do well at an anime con cause its all freakin' hand drawn!

Anyway, there should be some more clear schedules for when the tournaments are being hosted, and also have them not conflict w/ the other events.
Rules are pretty simple, as well... for fighting games (and most games in general), double elimination tournaments are the way to go...

SSBM doesnt really do that in tournament mode, or at least AFAIK. Also, theres always a debate on this... 1v1 vs 4 FFA.  Thats something usually you gotta decide on, because as a tournament game, they usually only do 1v1, but as a general 'fun' game, its 4p ffa.  Either way you handle it, whatever.

Soul Calibur 2 - I went to the big tournament in california, Evolution, and they played that... Theyre not going to have it next year... I even went to PAX, where one of the better SC2 players in the area ran it... it sucked...
That game degenerates into either scrubby mashing, or doing the same move over and over while dodging and getting in throws.  Even as a "high level" of play.  Next year Tekken 5 should be out, so I think that should be the flashy Namco 3d game of choice.

For the racing game, I think DD will still be the favorite of the majority, theres nothing being planned yet.

Anyway, whats the current room going to look like?  Hopefully if we got a big enough room we could try for some of the really fun events... like 16 player Double Dash tourney, if that gets out...  I had a blast hooking that up and playing at PAX.  

Other than that everything looks pretty good.  This next year will be better, for sure.  OH, need any volunteers or anything? I'd love to help on this, concidering this year I just sorta barged my way in and ran stuff anyway.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:21:44 pm »
Heya,  I remember you ^_^.  I more then likly will need help this year.  I am not sure how many or when you but I will keep you posted.  As for last year the tournments were kinda thrown together at the last minute, and that is not going to happen this year.  The schedual will be up and perment befor the con.  As for space the area that we are planning to use for gaming is a 53'6" X 61'3" and there are no stairs in the middle this time! More to come as I have more info.

dmstudios3

tourneys?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 08:57:33 am »
I would suggest Dragonball Z: Budokai 3 - Tis fun!
Let each player select what capsules they want to use.  Certain capsules would be banned, of course.  Thejew!  Are you getting good at it?

Just a thought. . . .

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 12:13:06 pm »
as always, DDR. Let's just hope I have free time during it this next con.

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 08:17:33 pm »
I suggest Naruto3 and Tekken Tag tournament
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

dmstudios3

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 01:42:05 pm »
Or even Tekken 5, cuz it's gonna be out on PS2 before K-Con '05.

It's fun!  I played it last night at the arcade for about half an hour.

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 07:46:20 pm »
i'd love to try tekken 5. i'm still suggesting tekken tag because of the ammount of characters and the fact that Jun kazama is my  favorite character in the tekken series. its the last tekken game she's in.also it gives you more of a chance to play longer because of the ability to switch out the first of the 2 characters you've selected and vice versa(meaning more killing time for everyone).
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

heavensclone

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 10:45:23 pm »
The SSBM tournament at Kumoricon was awesome.  There should be two tournaments for SSBM, regular one and a team one.  That would be awesome.

Soul Calibur 2 is a must.  That had to be the most hilarious just because of my friend Rob, who always said "That's how you play the game of golf" after winning.  We finally had faced off, and had a hilarious final match.

Naruto 3 should definitely be in the set of tournaments.

Halo is still pretty popular.  Not many people seem to like Halo 2 tournaments though.

DDR tourny too, great times.

Vyse
Love and Peace!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 12:03:02 am »
Quote from: "heavensclone"
The SSBM tournament at Kumoricon was awesome.  There should be two tournaments for SSBM, regular one and a team one.  That would be awesome.

Soul Calibur 2 is a must.  That had to be the most hilarious just because of my friend Rob, who always said "That's how you play the game of golf" after winning.  We finally had faced off, and had a hilarious final match.

Naruto 3 should definitely be in the set of tournaments.

Halo is still pretty popular.  Not many people seem to like Halo 2 tournaments though.

DDR tourny too, great times.

I agree with all of these except the Halo Tournament although that's partially biased due to me hearing a lot of people in my old dorm getting, um, "carried away" with the game.

Soul Calibur - Right on.  I want to play but I've only done the arcade version.  Even then, it was still fun to watch everyone, especially that tiem Link threw his opponent over the edge while having a small amount of life left.
Same goes for Naruto and SSBM in my opinion.  It's fun to see others play those games.
And I would be surprised if there wasn't a DDR tournament.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 10:14:14 am »

Our club has had a couple of Halo 2 tourneys now, and they seem to be very popular with our group. It's fun setting up four XBoxes on projectors and having huge 16-man matches.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 10:04:57 pm »
Even then, it was still fun to watch everyone, especially that tiem Link threw his opponent over the edge while having a small amount of life left.  

LOL!  Dude, that was me, lol!   That's what most of my victories consisted of, lol.  The final battle with Rob and myself was hilarious in itself.

heavensclone

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 10:05:58 pm »
Heh, forgot to replace the blank spot with Heavensclone (above post was me)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 10:08:40 pm »
Even then, it was still fun to watch everyone, especially that tiem Link threw his opponent over the edge while having a small amount of life left.  

LOL!  Dude, that was me, lol!   That's what most of my victories consisted of, lol.  The final battle with Rob and myself was hilarious in itself.

If that's the case then, I SALUTE YOU, SIR.
That battle was great/hilarious.

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 10:09:07 pm »
well i think you should hold a Counter Strike event... it would be fun!

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!