Author Topic: USEFULL INFORMATION ON THE KUMORICON SITE - RANT  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
USEFULL INFORMATION ON THE KUMORICON SITE - RANT
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:52:08 pm »
I have a rant. >:(  I am going to post this in all of the forums I believe it effects.

I want something done with the website.  I don't believe it is to much to ask.  Can you put USEFULL INFORMATION on it.

Things like:

• What panels will be there and what days and times they will be active.
    What restaurants and food courts are nearby.
    What days the guests will be there. (Some con goers are only going to come for one day, they may want to know what day is best.)
    What events are happening, and when.
    Where are good places to park, if I can't park at the hotel.
    OK I really like playing one of the games listed in the tournement link.  So when will the tournement be?
    Any info at all about the creation station and fan fiction links.  THEY ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE FORUMS!
    A map of the con.
    A list of dealers.
I have seen other sites for other cons.  Usually info like this is available weeks (if not months)  before the con.  You are less than a week away and there is NOTHING AT ALL. on the site.  Am I wrong in assuming that this sort of stuff is what a site is for?

We don't all live on the forums you know.  This info should be posted on the site.  I shouldn't have to roam the forum threads for an hour trying to find this stuff.

Just my two cents.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

Re: USEFULL INFORMATION ON SITE-RANT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:20 pm »
There's a handy little thing called the search bar that would take minutes, as opposed to the hour you refer to ;)

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
Most of that stuff is on the .pdf file done by Tom. Also, please do not post the exact same thing in multiple places. If it's in one place, people can find it and putting it in multiple place just takes up space. I can see that you want to put your point across, but that may be going just a little far.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:04:58 pm by Syd-chan »

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
Re: USEFULL INFORMATION ON THE KUMORICON SITE - RANT
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:41:58 pm »
Honestly, I completely agree with you, and I hope those who have power over this sort of thing take notice to this complaint because it's completely and utterly valid.

However, next time, please just use one post.  I know you want to be heard, and I can understand it.  But everyone can read the public sections of the forums.  Cross-posting not really necessary.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:30:57 pm »
This will be going up in the next couple of days, however, for the immediate moment, you can download the pocket guide at:

http://www.kumoricon.org/files/kumoricon2008pocketguide.pdf
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:35:57 pm »
I agree with you too but you don't need to post the same thing four times. If anything that is much more annoying and will make the staff less obliged to answer your requests.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:15:44 pm »
Google maps? It's by Lloyd Center, "the biggest mall in Oregon!" Literally, right across the street. Right across from the parking lot.

No need to freak, dude. It's a convention. It's meant to be fun. Sure the website isn't as good as it could be, but big deal. That's why there's the forum :D
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:20:29 pm »
This will be going up in the next couple of days, however, for the immediate moment, you can download the pocket guide at:

Thank you JeffT.  This is very helpful.

I posted in 4 places to be sure that it would be seen.  I know that there is a view post since my last visit link, but if you are like me that list would be 2000 posts long.   ;D  I placed it in the four areas I thought it most affected.  Sorry if that peeved some of you, I did state in the first line that it was a rant, and that I would post it in all of the forums.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:40:14 pm »
There's a handy little thing called the search bar that would take minutes, as opposed to the hour you refer to ;)

Well I just spent 15 minutes using the search trying to find something that said when the guests will be at the con.  Still don't know what day or when to come to see the GOH's  Not that THAT would be important to anyone.  ::)  I guess the Star Wars Fanfic may have had some info, or maybe the thread on "how old are you?"  I got lots of hits.  None seemed to have the info I was looking for.

Most of that stuff is on the .pdf file done by Tom. Also, please do not post the exact same thing in multiple places. If it's in one place, people can find it and putting it in multiple place just takes up space. I can see that you want to put your point across, but that may be going just a little far.

Now THAT is what I am talking about A color coded map!  YES.  and all I would have had to have of done is search using 'pdf file done by Tom'.  Why didn't I think of using that in my search string?  OK, so I am a little annoyed.  I have been browsing this board ALL DAY and I still don't have answers to all my questions.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
Re: NO LINKS ON KUMORICON WEBSITE-RANT
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »
No offense, but instead of ranting, look on the contacts section of Kumoricon and ask. Or do what I did and search for "Kumoricon schedule" in the search bar. Just for a future reference.

There you go. It has everything that you asked for in it.
-Yami
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
Re: NO LINKS ON KUMORICON WEBSITE-RANT
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:12:24 pm »
Thanks TohmaSeguchi ,

I guess the reason for the rant isn't clear.  What I want to see is all of this information ON THE SITE.  Not in the forums.  I shouldn't have to click on contact link and E-Mail whoever I think is responsible for the GOH to ask them what days the GOH will be attending the con.  That info should be readily available on the Guest link.  Same is true for all of the other things I listed.  That is the purpose of the website.  Going to the forum to locate a schedule?  WTF!!  Name me one convention you ever attended that didn't have the schedule on it's webpage a week prior to the con?  Other than KumoriCon that is.

I'm sorry,  It is just that every year they say that they will do this stuff, and every year they don't.

How long would you subscribe to a TV guide that didn't list the shows until an hour before they aired and forced you to use a forum to find out about the shows that would be on?  Not very long I wager.  Well take a good look at the Convention website.  If there was no forum at all.  Could you answer any of the questions I listed?  Do you think you should have been able to?  That is all I am saying here.  RANT ENDED.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:27 pm »
You wouldn't have to have searched '.pdf file done by Tom'. I mean, if you search '2008 schedule', I'm sure you would have found that same pdf. A schedule is found on pages 14 and 16 for Saturday, 18 and 20 for Sunday, and 22 for Monday here.

What panels will be there and what days and times they will be active. Found in the schedule.
What restaurants and food courts are nearby. Found in the .pdf file.
What days the guests will be there. (Some con goers are only going to come for one day, they may want to know what day is best.) The guests have certain time slots alloted for things such as Q & A and autographs. Those are also found in the schedule.
What events are happening, and when. All of the Con organized events are in the schedule
Where are good places to park, if I can't park at the hotel. Also in the .pdf that Tom made.
OK I really like playing one of the games listed in the tournement link.  So when will the tournement be? In the schedule of the pocket guide.
Any info at all about the creation station and fan fiction links.  THEY ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE FORUMS! Most people should check the forums. Only so much information can go onto a site, but the amount a forum can hold is large. Most of the important threads are stickied. If you don't have enough time to check the forums for a minute or two to find what you are looking for, you shouldn't start complaining.
A map of the con. This is found in the program booklet. It will be in your Con bag once you arrive, but if not, it can be found on page two of the .pdf found here.
A list of dealers. A list of dealers would be very hard to do, seeing as some people back out and the sheer size of the amount. I would reccommend just to go with the flow. I mean, there's something there for everyone.

I mean, I can see how you would want this information on the site itself, but I have no reason to complain myself, as I am on the forums regularly. I'm not in a position to edit any information on the site, but if I was in your case, then I would PM the admin or a mod to see if they could do anything for you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:19:52 pm by Syd-chan »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 08:30:41 pm »

Well I just spent 15 minutes using the search trying to find something that said when the guests will be at the con.  Still don't know what day or when to come to see the GOH's  Not that THAT would be important to anyone.  ::)  I guess the Star Wars Fanfic may have had some info, or maybe the thread on "how old are you?"  I got lots of hits.  None seemed to have the info I was looking for.

Now THAT is what I am talking about A color coded map!  YES.  and all I would have had to have of done is search using 'pdf file done by Tom'.  Why didn't I think of using that in my search string?  OK, so I am a little annoyed.  I have been browsing this board ALL DAY and I still don't have answers to all my questions.

You didn't look through the pocket guide if you still think your questions haven't been answered. Everything you need is in that guide. So would you stop bitching?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 09:25:49 pm »
Just so you know, my fanfic contest coordinator, Sandi, and I sent in a summary to publicity regarding the fanfic contest over a month ago to be linked to the contest portion of the main webpage. I thought that was in place? If it's not, I'm sorry about that.....

I hope we get to see you; I still remember fondly your award-winning "A Turkey for Hideki" Chobits fic!

If you have difficulty figuring out the CS schedule from the pocket guide, let me know and I'll try to PM you more info.

EDIT: Okay, my bad, I did not know that the fanfic contest summary was not linked to the contest link on the main page. I wrote to Jeff about this REPEATEDLY and sent it more than once, including again relatively recently. So I will need to find out from Jeff whether this was previously on the site, then removed after our entry deadline passed, or simply overlooked and never put on the site?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:32:06 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:03 pm »
Though you do have a point that the schedule/pocket guide should be on the site, that's no excuse for your sarcasm and snapping at people :|

And to everyone that's saying it's oh-so-simple, it isn't really. Look at the website! The only updates we ever get on there are ones for staff meetings... Not everyone will think the info they seek will be found here on the forums.

Not trying to make everyone my enemy, just people need to chill here, seriously Dx
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:58:50 pm by Hazuza »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
EDIT: Okay, my bad, I did not know that the fanfic contest summary was not linked to the contest link on the main page. I wrote to Jeff about this REPEATEDLY and sent it more than once, including again relatively recently. So I will need to find out from Jeff whether this was previously on the site, then removed after our entry deadline passed, or simply overlooked and never put on the site?

You're right, I overlooked posting that. Sorry. :(
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 03:00:22 am »
This was blown out of proportion, but I agree with this - the schedule has been available for a while, but only found on the forums, and that's the kind of thing that should be put on the site ASAP for people to plan their convention. There's only 4 days to the con now, and it's still not up. People who don't regularly go on the forums shouldn't have to go through looking them for this information that should be readily available on the site. Otherwise, what's the point of having one?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 02:26:40 pm »
This was blown out of proportion, but I agree with this - the schedule has been available for a while, but only found on the forums, and that's the kind of thing that should be put on the site ASAP for people to plan their convention. There's only 4 days to the con now, and it's still not up. People who don't regularly go on the forums shouldn't have to go through looking them for this information that should be readily available on the site. Otherwise, what's the point of having one?

Exactly what I am saying.  Thanks Cassiopeia for getting my point across clearly.  The PDF file (Requires Adobe acrobat reader, or reader plug-in, to read) with the schedule is now on site to answer all questions.  So no more need to rant.  I am sorry if I came across as being crabby.  It is probably because I have a lot of personal issues.  I am one of the 1113 recently unemployed Hynix employees.  2 weeks before the con is a crappy time to lose your job.  It may not be an excuse for my behavior, but I am a hothead.  Quick to boil and long to simmer,  but I do get over it.  Lets all have fun.  See you all there!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:27:36 pm by Wuntvor »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »
Quick to boil and long to simmer,  but I do get over it.  Lets all have fun.  See you all there!

That's what I like to hear! I'm glad things blew over :D It looks like the front page has a nice update for anyone with similar problems! Hooray! Less than two days to go!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »

You're right, I overlooked posting that. Sorry. :(

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Oh well!
*hugs you anyway*

Just back me up, if my Fanfic Contest Coordinator wants to know why *I* didn't get the info up there, that I didn't have the capacity to and wasn't the one who spaced!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).