Author Topic: I had a suggestion for a Con event....  (Read 7123 times)

lyrafowlpotter

I had a suggestion for a Con event....
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:52:13 pm »
I don't think I'll EVER be able able to make it to a general meeting, as I cannot drive... :( But I had a suggestion for an even that I belive could be VERY popular....

Well, I was thinking it would be really cool to have a "Go" tournament. :D You probably ALL know what Go is, at least from "Hikaru no Go". :D Ever since I started reading/watching it, I have wanted to play, I myself am very mediocre, but think it would be A LOT of fun to do at a convention. :D But hey, if someone whom is going to a general meeting, would want to throw that idea around, I'd be MORE than happy.! And I'll do more than my best to return the favor.! :D

God Bless ~Amy

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:58:23 am »
what is go?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:33:50 am »
personally, i think that is a wonderful idea! you will wish to check in with the gaming director. i just met him at the programming meeting; he's really nice. i'll post to the programming list to let him know about this thread.

this year's programming coordinator was last year's gaming coordinator, so i'm sure there will be support for the concept of innovations in our gaming programming!

go is a venerable, ancient, chinese game of strategy involving black and white pieces on a flat playing board. my ex was a big fan of hikaru no go and tried to teach me; but it was such a competitive mind game it wasn't something i wanted to play against a boyfriend. however, it was fascinating to watch, when he played against others, or online against a computer.

it's great that you made the suggestion!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 10:38:37 am »
You should seperate any Go tourney into people who actually know what they're doing/competitive players and people playing for fun/learning to play.

I wish I remembered how to play Go. ^.^;
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:35:46 pm »
at kumoricon '03 we had a guy who was sitting in the lobby teaching go the first day, and then the second day of the con there was a tourney. I really liked that and am not sure why we didn't continue it in '04, maybe we just couldn't get ahold of the man, but yeah, definetly something we should have again.

nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 03:15:59 pm »
anyone know a site with a flash verson of the game i would like to give it a try

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 11:27:23 pm »
hi hon, just a head's up, i brought these ideas to the programming staff listserv and there is a lot of support!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 12:55:03 am »
Sounds interesting :)  but Go is a very complicated game, it's not something somebody can learn in and become good at in a short period of time, and I'm not sure how many people actually already know how to play.  Oh well, but if we do have a Go tournament, I'll make sure to check it out.  :D