Author Topic: Bookstore Aisle Camping  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
Bookstore Aisle Camping
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:08:13 pm »
I don't usually buy my manga at big-box stores, as I'd prefer to support Kinokuniya, and they don't have a ton of folks clogging the aisles reading manga like it's a library. But I am hearing more complaints about the books really being damaged at the bookstores by people that will sit and read entire series...essentially turning new titles into used books.

I wonder if anyone hear has experienced this.

Or does this...

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
Re: Bookstore Aisle Camping
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:36 pm »
I don't do it, but I see it all the time. And I hate it when people just decide to read in from of the aisle cos then they're blocking my way when I need to reach for something D:<

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
I know its really annoying. I mean if you really want to read the manga that bad and don't want to pay for it then go online and get out of everyones way >_<

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:28 pm »
I went to Borders a few weeks ago to get my Nana manga and theres a bunch of 13/14 year old kids sitting in the isles, blabbing very loudly about anime and Japan and ramen and whatever these kids talk about these days blocking 2/3rds of the manga. I stood there for a minute before asking them to move, not so politely and they moved grudgingly. I think its a mutual loathing. It's rude for these children to sit in the aisles of bookSTORES as libraries.

I love Kinokuniya. I need to go there to stock up on Magazines and stickers...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:19:36 pm »
yeah I get that a lot. I always try to go to a bookstore where I don't see that a lot. one girl got mad at me for being in her way when I was tryignto grab something to buy I told her to go read the manga off line liek any other poor normal anime person.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »
it seems to bug the ones I run into if you just stand in front of them looking at the shelf their back is against XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:25:32 pm »
It is very odd to me, as you NEVER see that with any other type of media or literature. I mean, maybe others have had different experiences, but I know for a fact I've never seen anyone just pick up a copy of Marquis de Sade (for example) and begin reading it in the very aisle from whence they plucked it, so to speak. It is just....it's just weird, and not in the good way. If the place was a library, it'd be called a library, lol. It just seems pretty inconsiderate or unthinking to do something like sit in the aisle and essentially take all the liberties with a volume without paying for it. Saa....

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:26:39 pm »
I went to Borders a few weeks ago to get my Nana manga and theres a bunch of 13/14 year old kids sitting in the isles, blabbing very loudly about anime and Japan and ramen and whatever these kids talk about these days blocking 2/3rds of the manga. I stood there for a minute before asking them to move, not so politely and they moved grudgingly. I think its a mutual loathing. It's rude for these children to sit in the aisles of bookSTORES as libraries.

I love Kinokuniya. I need to go there to stock up on Magazines and stickers...

It saddens me how expensive some of the mags at Kinokuniya are D: I guess it can't be helped lol

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:32:57 pm »
Fortunately, I have had nothing but good experiences at Kinokuniya. The aisle-sitting I've seen a lot of at Borders and Barnes & Noble's, I've not ever encountered there. Maybe I just go at off-hours when the majority doesn't go or whatever, but I do love how that bookstore is able to present the media without much inhibition.

And I too wish things were cheaper, but it is understandable as most of them are imported products. I still need to become better associated with how to request products, as there are several cd's that I keep expecting in but never actually show up *ahemJukacoughcough*

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:11 pm »
It is very odd to me, as you NEVER see that with any other type of media or literature. I mean, maybe others have had different experiences, but I know for a fact I've never seen anyone just pick up a copy of Marquis de Sade (for example) and begin reading it in the very aisle from whence they plucked it, so to speak. It is just....it's just weird, and not in the good way. If the place was a library, it'd be called a library, lol. It just seems pretty inconsiderate or unthinking to do something like sit in the aisle and essentially take all the liberties with a volume without paying for it. Saa....

That is the same sense I get. In general, books are not shrink-wrapped because the product is not "consumed" at the store selling it.

This is becoming less the case with manga at big box stores...(I can't imagine anyone doing this at Kinokuniya. They'd have a ninja star in their skull before page 4.)

Fortunately, I have had nothing but good experiences at Kinokuniya. The aisle-sitting I've seen a lot of at Borders and Barnes & Noble's, I've not ever encountered there. Maybe I just go at off-hours when the majority doesn't go or whatever, but I do love how that bookstore is able to present the media without much inhibition.

And I too wish things were cheaper, but it is understandable as most of them are imported products. I still need to become better associated with how to request products, as there are several cd's that I keep expecting in but never actually show up *ahemJukacoughcough*

They have enough staff that I don't think aisle squatters even try. Ordering there is an adventure, sometimes. You want to order through Makino-san. She is the short-haired woman who is the manager. If you want something that is gettable, she'll get it for you. Sometimes with the younger staff it is touch and go. If you do want to order something, take a print-out of that product's page from Amazon. You say "Juka" and they don't know if it is in romaji, kanji, katakana, hiragana...the amazon page with have the essention info to make an order possible.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:44:11 pm by Mecha Mecha Media »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:48 pm »
Yeah I wish I bought more mags in Japan but they're so heavy XD

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:40:48 pm »
yeah, G&LB are like 18.20! Gahh so expensive. I'm glad they're only out Quarterly.

I mostly buy Kera because they're a bit more interesting (Most the lolita stuff you can see online once you get the magazine) and allot cheaper too. :] The stationary is mad expensive though! I want cute pens but I dont want to pay 11 dollars for a pen+pad.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:41:02 pm by Neko_Chan »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:48:56 pm »
Yeah! I love Kera; they cover so many styles so it never gets boring. For me, at least lol. I can go through it multiple times and not get bored

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:53 pm »

They have enough staff that I don't think aisle squatters even try. Ordering there is an adventure, sometimes. You want to order through Makino-san. She is the short-haired woman who is the manager. If you want something that is gettable, she'll get it for you. Sometimes with the younger staff it is touch and go. If you do want to order something, take a print-out of that product's page from Amazon. You say "Juka" and they don't know if it is in romaji, kanji, katakana, hiragana...the amazon page with have the essention info to make an order possible.

Thanks for the advice. I remember the one time I went in there and asked if they had anything in by Juka, they printed me out a list of cd's from Amazon and said they would have it in store in a couple weeks. Well, it never came in, but I wasn't shocked nor disappointed, I always figured Juka was an artist I would just have to buy on the internet, heh. But yeah, thanks for the help. I'll remember that next time I am ready to buy or place an order. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:42 pm »
Experienced it?  Oh Gawd yes.

Over at the Barnes & Nobles in Honolulu they actually made it a rule that people can not sit on the floor because, speaking from personal experience, there are times where people block the entire aisle.  If you timed it right you could avoid the crowd.
But yeah, what really annoys me is when people will pull out a pile of random books, sit down, and start reading the entire pile without buying any of them.  And then to add on to that, leaves the pile of books in the random spot for a store clerk to take care of.  Yeah for reading and all but authors and mangaka can't really make a living from moral support alone.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:09:06 am »
My my, none of you read without buying from time to time? You're better able to withstand temptation then I am, I suppose.

I "camp", but I also buy quite a lot of manga. 3 to 5 new books a month, plus Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat. Bookstores do things like set comfy chairs out for their patrons. They expect people will read before they buy. Don't judge by the cover and all that. I like to know what I'm putting my money down for, unless it's an ongoing series I've been collecting.

I stay out of the way, and I keep my eyes open so I can move if I look like I'm blocking someone. I haven't really noticed too many damages issues at my local bookstores, and there are always three or four people reading in the graphic novel section.

I like to think of it like clothes shopping. Try on a few things, see if they fit, buy if it works, but don't annoy the salespeople by trying on half the store and then leave without purchasing anything. If I've spent a long time reading, I'll pick something up from a series I'm trying to complete.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:40 am »
^ Well, that is quite different than "camping", for the most part. I mean, you mentioned bookstores having chairs available, that is obviously for encouraging sitting and reading for a few. That is understandable when people are sitting in the provided chairs and reading. And you mentioned you sometimes sit in the aisles, but at least you have the decency to be aware of your surroundings. It is when people sit in the aisles without any sense or awareness of those around them that it becomes a bigger problem, in my view.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:22:34 am »
My my, none of you read without buying from time to time? You're better able to withstand temptation then I am, I suppose.

I "camp", but I also buy quite a lot of manga. 3 to 5 new books a month, plus Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat. Bookstores do things like set comfy chairs out for their patrons. They expect people will read before they buy. Don't judge by the cover and all that. I like to know what I'm putting my money down for, unless it's an ongoing series I've been collecting.

I stay out of the way, and I keep my eyes open so I can move if I look like I'm blocking someone. I haven't really noticed too many damages issues at my local bookstores, and there are always three or four people reading in the graphic novel section.

I like to think of it like clothes shopping. Try on a few things, see if they fit, buy if it works, but don't annoy the salespeople by trying on half the store and then leave without purchasing anything. If I've spent a long time reading, I'll pick something up from a series I'm trying to complete.

A fesser-upper! Thank you for your honesty, Kumi-chan.

I do notice that some of these places have, basically, reading sections. What I think is, though, it is intended for customers to preview, peruse, sample the wares. Like the samples at Costco. The thing with manga is that you can read a whole volume in much less time it would take you to read a novel. So the big-box stores kind of set them up for squatters that can enjoy the manga for free.

Comparing it to clothes shopping...if you read the whole book, isn't that a little like "trying on" an outfit and going to a party, and then coming back the next day and returning it?

I think it is good that you buy things, but saying "I'll buy something if I have been reading a long time" isn't quite the point, is it? (I may be missing something). Aren't bookstore places to buy books, and libraries places to read books for free?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 12:35:10 am »
I think it is good that you buy things, but saying "I'll buy something if I have been reading a long time" isn't quite the point, is it? (I may be missing something). Aren't bookstore places to buy books, and libraries places to read books for free?

Exactly. I guess, for the most part, it is up to the individual to draw the line for themselves, but they also should be aware of what is reasonable and what is beyond the line. They have to draw the line between sampling and reading an entire volume. I think sitting down and reading one chapter of a manga is just fine, because hey, that is the amount that many manga magazines will give you as a sampler anyway. But reading an excessive amount, well then you start encroaching into inappropriate territory.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:20:45 am »

There are times where I will stand and "read" a manga without buying but that's only because I'm testing out the series or I plan to buy it later.  But I don't sit down to read and I don't read from cover to cover.  Maybe a chapter just to get an idea of what's inside.
And I usually like to stand so if someone needs to get a manga next to me or look at the section next to me I have an easier time moving.

And like what EveofAbyss said, what you do does not sound like camping so I wouldn't worry.

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:35 am »
Browsing a novel/comic/manga/magazine is a perfectly understandable thing to do.  I do it all the time, though it takes longer with a novel as I don't actually read the comic/manga/magazine when browsing it.  I try to do my best not to damage the product and I expect most people to do the same.

"Camping", as you have refered to it, annoys the heck out of me, though.  I don't mind the person who's perhaps crouched in the aisle and appears to perhaps be browsing more closely than I would.  But the people who just flop down and stretch their legs out from one side to the other... grrr... I can't stand them.  They seem to have this unnatural talent for making me "trip" on them.  It must hurt, but I guess they shouldn't be there like that....
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 11:40:01 am »
I guess I don't see much of a difference between reading one or two chapters and reading the whole graphic novel. Either way, the book is opened, and no longer in "mint" condition. Maybe if you're the kind of person who reads something once and then never touches it again, so reading the whole thing would negate the purpose of buying it, but I read my manga over and over again. And when I start reading, I generally get caught up in the story and will keep reading to the end. Unless it sucks, and then I will put it back on the shelf after a few pages or a chapter.
If you have a tendency to crease the spine or dog-ear pages as you go along, that's different. I'm always aware that it's still store property until I pay for it.

Comparing it to clothes shopping...if you read the whole book, isn't that a little like "trying on" an outfit and going to a party, and then coming back the next day and returning it?

I think buying the book and then returning it after you've read it a couple of times falls closer. What is the difference to the store, between one and ten chapters? All the salesperson sees is someone reading the book in the aisle or in a chair in the store. They don't know you stop at page 20. It just makes you feel better.
I don't do returns because I don't like the hassle (and I've been behind the counter, so I know how much of a hassle it is for them), so if I'm going to buy something, it's for keeps. It's the same reason I don't usually buy anime or movies unless I've seen them before. I don't want to put my money down unless I know I'm going to enjoy the whole thing for the rest of the time I own it.

I'm not trying to insult or attack anyone who can stop after browsing briefly. It's just that I know my own buying habits, and this is what works for me. I've bought a couple books after reading a preview chapter I enjoyed in a magazine, trusting that chapter for the quality of the story. But I stopped collecting the series because the rest of it was a let down.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
Yea if you want to read the manga buy the manga, if you dont buy it the company who provides it makes less money and less manga gets put on the shelf. This is the case with Yotsuba vol. 6 which I have been waiting for, the company that puts it out put it on hold to put out other manga before they could get to it. I have been waiting for months and it keeps getting pushed back.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 07:40:12 pm »
I have seen the rug rats at borders, they always seem to be in my way of my manga.
I love kinokunya I try to throw what bizness to them that I can but here is the but

They don't always have what I am looking for when i need it(aka when i has $$) (our comic book shop has this problem as well)

the bottom dollar, I don't have a lot of money right now, I spent the better part of a month and a half job hunting with no luck and to justify buying a manga, even one, when I have bills and a wedding to pay for I need to squeze every penny, and borders has coupons, me being able to save 2.50 on a manga can mean that I am even able to buy a manga in the first place.

I know beaverton general manager by name since we met at a leguin book signing last year, She knows to let me know about any Gackt merch that comes in, and while there are site that i can get albums cheaper i lke to try to get it there first if they got it, I do try to be the first on my block with the new Gackt calander :) 

**I do like to surport my fave manga ka, I know of sites where I could read manga for free I would rather buy it to show support for the bizness**

espsualy chibi vampire, i mean the author wanted a pic with me how awesome is that?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:43:10 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »
A lot of the stuff I've seen at kinokuniya and wanted to peek at (I don't read manga, not really) was plastic wrapped. Can't read that in the aisle!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:23 am »
haha, That plastic-wrapping is only seen on "adult titles" in other stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble's, but it seems to be a pretty good deterrent to aisle-squatting. Though I can see how it could get annoying too if you just want to preview a title. Punishing the sheep with the goats, so to speak.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 12:00:54 pm »
I tend to check out new manga at boarders so I can flip through it and buy the first volume there and if I like the series I will buy the rest at kinokuniya.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 12:07:28 pm »
I don't "camp" But I do move and read sometimes.
I buy manga as well too...a lot.
People here at my borders [in clackamas] those who camp at least they move out of the way when I reach to buy manga.
Your not permitted to sit in the isles either.
They actually have designated reading areas with like...couches or whatnot.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 12:10:20 pm »
Most of the manga I buy I get at Powell's, and those ones are all used so if I was so inclined to read it there in the store, I don't think anyone would notice the wear or tear, lol.

Just kidding, I totally am not that kind of person... ;)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

oslapedo

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 07:45:09 pm »
Oh geez, manga cows... part of the reason why I buy the majority of my manga off the beautiful plane of the internet ;)

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 09:18:43 pm »
Most of the manga I buy I get at Powell's, and those ones are all used so if I was so inclined to read it there in the store, I don't think anyone would notice the wear or tear, lol.

They are not all used at Powell's...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 09:38:15 pm »

They are not all used at Powell's...

Good point, and I was kidding, I don't actually put wear on books. I don't even do that to ones I own, I just never got into that habit of bending covers or anything like that.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 02:02:40 am »
Oh god, is this a pet peeve of mine.  I would link to a rant I did on it a while ago, but I really let the expletives fly, so it's not really appropriate. XD
If you want to sit in the store and read, like others have mentioned, there are chairs for that.  Hell, there are plenty of choice floor spots where you won't be plopping your butt directly in all the other shoppers' way!  It's the ones who sit there in the middle of a narrow aisle, don't even pay attention to those around them, don't even seem to care if you're trying to get to something around them, those are the ones I JUST WANT TO STEP ON.
And it makes me so mad, I can get pretty rude to them, and I honestly think I'm justified.  If they don't move when they're completely blocking something I'd like to look at, I'm going to straight out tell them to.  I think bookstores need to get in the habit of shuffling those kids along.  Nothing wrong with reading in the store, in my opinion, as long as you don't treat the book like trash (I went into Borders right after Vassalord came out and the only copy was completely torn up.  Stuff like that gets my little forehead vein twitching), but don't do so if you're being an obstacle to other people!
I tend to buy most of my manga online now.  But I like to peruse the new stuff in the store, and I get coupons from Borders that I like to use.  I pay attention to other people around me, I don't just stop dead in the aisle and not move when people try to walk by.

I think my main concern here is, these people need to realize that they are not the only ones in the world.  MOVE for other people, man.  Auuuugh.  I really dislike those kind of people.  And maybe they're not all so bad, so please, if you read this and think, "oh, I do that..." please just be mindful of other people around you and treat the merchandise with respect.  Grab a few books you're interested in and go find a quiet, empty spot.  Come back for more, but don't read directly on the floor of the aisle.
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 09:25:25 am »
So I went out to Gresham on Monday night and I stopped by the Borders out there on division, I figured it would be a good chance to check out manga (cause I had to kill time), but I actually did not encounter any aisle-sitters that day. I expected to see a few because there were kids (well, younger people than I) all about the shopping center. But nope, actually didn't see any. Maybe it was the time of day, or just a random occurrence, but it was one of the few times when I've not seen anyone sitting reading manga at a Borders, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:46:14 am »
I have experienced too much of this.

And it's always involving NARUTO manga. Kids are on the floor, reading THE WHOLE SERIES STACKED on the floor.
I'm just like "TAKE IT TO A TABLE PLEASE!" And it makes me upset because they sometimes don't read the whole stack and LEAVE IT THERE. No wonder the employees are pissed when they see it. (saw one employee THROW it at the shelves.) scaryyyy.

I try to remind the reader that they should take it to a table/chair which most bookstores have accessible but they don't listen and call me names and baka. Mature I can tell you that. XD
I can't help but laugh at them a little because they probably don't even know what the words they are saying means.
XDDDD

BUT.
I have done my fair share of this sadly. I get so into a book I kind of stand there, but then after a few seconds I'm like "CRAP!" *shuffles to nearest chair* DX stupid me.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »
no not allmanga are used at powells, but the cheaper ones usualy are

when shopping for manga there i pull out a stack and sort out the cheapest ones and out of whats left i pick the best quality, it one is a better quality but like a 1$ more expecive i spend the extra buck
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 01:47:05 am »
I've sat in the isles at borders before and read manga when i was poor, before I had a job, oh and at the Harry Potter midnight thing a few books back. The isles here though are very wide and give plenty of room for people to get around you and I've no problem moving to another spot when need be or when I see someone coming over to where I am. I don't like being an obstruction but since the manga are close to the bathroom and the cafe thing there isn't a whole lot of seating near by to just sit and browse manga. I have to do this especially when I am looking for birthday present manga for my friends... The other thing is though I hate bent spines, dog eared pages, stacked manga piles and crap of that nature. I treat manga like they are gold, cause hell a manga addiction is more expensive than having a drug habit.

*Shudders at the thought of how much her, her bf and her friends have spent on manga*

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 08:18:15 am »
*Shudders at the thought of how much her, her bf and her friends have spent on manga*
Same here I have spent like 70+ dollars in the last month.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:17 am »
Same here I have spent like 70+ dollars in the last month.
*Glances back at his bookshelves full of manga*
I've... lost track of how much I have.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 10:16:37 am »
I have quite a bit too. It may be a good way for me to raise money by selling some of them ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:47 am »
My manga purchasing has come to a full halt over the past year. It's not that I lost interest, just the ability to buy it, lol. I have a lot that I still need to get, but it will have to wait until I get a job.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 10:56:49 am »
Whenever I sit and read manga at the bookstore (yes, I am guilty!), I make sure to keep the books in as pristine a condition as possible (I HATE beat-up books in a bookstore) and I generally always end up buying something (as it is a store, not a library).
At my local Borders, I used to have to sit in the aisle to read or go all the way across the store to the cafe area with chairs, but they have since added nice comfy ones near the manga section so all is good.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru