Author Topic: For all of those with money issues.  (Read 5035 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
For all of those with money issues.
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:03:30 am »
I am going to provide a list of things that you can do to raise money for the con. If anyone else has something they would like to add go right a head. The asking for money is getting a little out of hand.

Ways to earn money:
Get a job
chores around the house (cleaning mowing the lawn)
can and bottle returns (don't have enough cans? collect them from your neighbors)
garage sale
bake sale
babysit
wash/walk pets
house sit
wash cars
sell clothes to a store such as Buffalo Exchange (they will buy clothes from you)

That is just a few that i could think of off the top of my head. So if money is such an issue find a way to make some. There is so much that you can do even if you are under 16 and can't get a job.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Re: For all of those with money issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:32 am »
You forgot the various forms of extortion, blackmail and protection money. All in a days work for Nabiki Tendo.  8)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:11:31 am »
another suggestion,
people always say they dont have an allowance or somthing like that for the chores they do at home(lord knows i never did)
but often peeps get $$ for their birthday, christmas, good report cards, ect

SAVE IT!

till I was around 22 i was full time school and was responcible for almost all the cooking and cleaning at home (not to mention rasieing my younger brother at times) so a part time job wasn't really plausible
but i'd get some cash at christmas and some on birthdays and I'd use it for con.

its all about useing money where it is important
like one year I got a chunk of change and i was like "invader zim dvds!!!" but then my puppy stopped making tears in his left eye and i spent the $$ on vet bills instead

you really need to think about what is important to you
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:00 am »
I work a full time job!

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:31 am »
Also;
If your parents gave you some money for the con but you'd still like more say you need money for "lunch/dinner/meals". This works especially well if you are staying the whole con and you can usually get like... 20-30 dollars more.
Downside? You probably wont eat the whole con.
I can deal with that though lmao

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:18:26 am »
One can also sell old manga, there is even a thread on the forums. 

And the recycling is a good idea, I have a friend that bought his tattoo with used cans.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:40:38 am »
Hmm...how much does the Buffalo Exchange give? Not that I need money, I'm just a person looking to help out my friends. XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:42:19 am »
Also for those of you over 18, you can try donating blood or plasma. I tried to do that but realized they have the rule against tattoos, so unless you have a tattoo, you could make a nice $40-80 a week by donating.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:48:11 am »
Also for those of you over 18, you can try donating blood or plasma. I tried to do that but realized they have the rule against tattoos, so unless you have a tattoo, you could make a nice $40-80 a week by donating.

and piercings too but i seem to recall its only for a certin amount of time after (6mth to 2 years? i dont remeber)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
Hmm...how much does the Buffalo Exchange give? Not that I need money, I'm just a person looking to help out my friends. XD
It depends of the clothes. A tee shirt can get anywhere from $1 to about $5. If you have a leather jacket you don't wear anymore you could get big bucks for that. I haven't been there in a while so I'm not too sure.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 02:36:09 pm »
It depends of the clothes. A tee shirt can get anywhere from $1 to about $5. If you have a leather jacket you don't wear anymore you could get big bucks for that. I haven't been there in a while so I'm not too sure.

The kind of standard rate for Buffalo Exchange is 10-20% of what they are going to sell it for. So if you sell them a T-shirt they will sell for $10, you will get like a buck. For nicer bigger ticket items they give you a better percentage.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 02:55:16 pm »

Get a job - im trying
chores around the house (cleaning mowing the lawn) - i do but dont get paid much
can and bottle returns (don't have enough cans? collect them from your neighbors) - cant i only have one neighbor and they don't have cans and we don't that many
garage sale - no place to put up a garage sale over here and no one would come
bake sale- its kinda of a bad part we every one lives here to no go
babysit - my sis dose a little we don't know that many people with kids
wash/walk pets - we don't know people over here that would pa for that
house sit - no one would even think about that over here
wash cars - every one want to wash there cars by them self
sell clothes to a store such as Buffalo Exchange (they will buy clothes from you) i need ALL of my cloth for school and when they don't fit me my sis gets them
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
You need ALL of your clothes? Dang. I'm getting rid of 70-80% of mine because I never wear them. I'll only get about three new outfits in exchange, though, but I'll make it. 8D

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:05:05 pm »
I'm sure just plain out asking the people you know if there's anything you can do for them for a little cash would help, since all of the suggestions Nichole gave out weren't an option for you, Saya.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:31:12 pm »

Get a job - im trying
chores around the house (cleaning mowing the lawn) - i do but dont get paid much
can and bottle returns (don't have enough cans? collect them from your neighbors) - cant i only have one neighbor and they don't have cans and we don't that many
sell clothes to a store such as Buffalo Exchange (they will buy clothes from you) i need ALL of my cloth for school and when they don't fit me my sis gets them

This is kind of what I meant when I said that there is an air of negativity around here. Someone provides you with a list of options and in return all you can do is shoot every single one of them down, but I don't see you really trying to make anything possible for yourself. You've got to want improvement to improve, it isn't just going to show up on your doorstep.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:32:24 pm »

Get a job - im trying

This is kind of what I meant when I said that there is an air of negativity around here. Someone provides you with a list of options and in return all you can do is shoot every single one of them down, but I don't see you really trying to make anything possible for yourself. You've got to want improvement to improve, it isn't just going to show up on your doorstep.
Yeah. I did the first thing on the list with no problem whatsoever!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:33:34 pm »
you can also ask for $$ for the event as a early birthday christmas present, like on less gift for a couple of bucks during con isn't a bad trade

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:38:29 pm »
That's what I was getting at, Eve. You put it exactly how it is. Saya, when people try to help you, that doesn't meant cancel out all their ideas with what you think would be the outcome of them all. To get results, you have to work for them. Saying that you have no money, and there's no way of getting money isn't true. There are other ways to earn money, and instead of saying that it's impossible for you to make some cash, try out the ideas first.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
And even a little bit of money will add up in the long run. You just need to learn how to budget the money you get better and then with the extra chores you do during the summer then you should have enough. I will admit that getting a job is almost impossible if you are not 16 yet. So that one is fine but even the little amount of cans that you have will bring in some cash. Remember you were saying that you didn't think you would have enough for your sister to ice skate. If that is the case then you only need $9. There are plenty of things you could do to earn money but your just not trying.

I think something that your parents would really appreciate and reward you with is if you gave them a little vacation. Like do everything that they would normally do for one day. Do the laundry, cook meals, clean the house, and let them sit around and do nothing or go out and have fun. You really need to get used to actually applying yourself because that is what life is. You are going to run into some nasty shock once you are out on your own and not willing to work.

I was in the same boat as you, I was spoiled and lazy but I have changed so much since I went to collage. It taught me that I really need to take responsibility for my actions and taught me how to budget my money well. The number one tip I can give you if you have money and want to do something with it (like go to a con) DON'T BUY SOMETHING IF YOU DON'T NEED IT! If you are trying to save up money for something and you see some shoes that you like but don't really need them.....don't buy them. It seems very logical but it is still something that many of us suffer from.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 04:37:28 pm »
Life is hard. It is. It will be.

And things take time.

No one wants to hear that - but it's true.

It's up to you to decide how you deal with that. (I've found creativity goes a long way towards a happier life. ^_^ To that end, my first cosplay was made from a dress I got at GoodWill and a prop made from cardboard. Nothing expensive there!)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:50:06 pm by Antares »

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »
i do earn my money i go to work with my dad and stuff i have to craw under house and really not safe stuff i never said i was just siting around i try really hard but still come up short
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 05:08:45 pm »
Then like we've all been suggesting; save up.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
i have been saving up for more then 10 mounth
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 09:37:58 pm »
back before i had a job, k-con was the one fun thing i did a year

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:20 pm »
i have been saving up for more then 10 mounth
Ok so you say you have been saving up for months so if you got $5 a month then you would have $50 and I am sure you are getting more than $5 a month, so either you are flat out lying to us and just trying to get attention or you are spending money on useless **** that you don't need. Either way we shouldn't have to pay for your bad budgeting or lack of finding ways to earn money.

Stop taking your problems out on others. I have my own problems too but I am not asking for help (although any problems that I would ask for help would just be suggestions). We have given you suggestions and weather you want to use them or not is your problem. You have ways to earn money so the next time you ask someone on the forum I may have to report you. Right now you are just being difficult. We want to help you but I don't have a whole lot of money and I can't give any out, plus I don't think it is quite fair that I work my but off and don't get a lot of sleep and typically exhausted every day and have to listen to some immature girl complaining about how her parents don't just give her everything in the world.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:03:24 pm »

Get a job - im trying

This.
I complained for a year about not being able to get a job and now I have one because I applied everywhere in town.

Seriously though, never seen a more useless and negative post before.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 10:06:08 pm »
Oh shiz Nichole. :-O You told it like it is. I completely agree with you. Hopefully you won't get flamed like I did for being brutally honest.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:28 pm »
I sent in nearly 50 applications during winter break trying to find a job and I did get one but it was only for four days. I didn't get the job I have now till mid July. Finding a job takes a lot of time. Everyone is applying and the competition is quite rough.

I don't really care if I get flamed or not at this point...I have a feeling I wont because everyone has seen her reaction to the help we are trying to give her.

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »
what i say to make you mad i never asked for money i only said one thing and i give most of my money to family and to school and gas money for my family so i can go places every time i go some were i have to pay gas money unless it in under 10 miles my mom only give me stuff on x-mas she take me out to eat for my birthday other then that i get nothing i have to pay of every thing lunch at school class school cloths i only have 1 pair of shoe i am all way working here i clean the house every day and take care of my little sisture and send email for my dad work and whit bid and much more i am not laze i dont spand my money on use less stuff
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 10:50:56 pm »
I really don't want to argue anymore but I am going to ask one last thing. We have given you some things that you could do to raise money. If you do not want to do it or you cant for some reason that is fine, but will you stop complaining about how you don't have any money on the forum.

A lot of us are in the same boat but you don't see us complaining about it. I need money as well but I am not telling everyone that.

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
i said one thing i see people say it a lot more i not trying to complain i would love not to say anything it just slipped out i sorry im not trying to ask for money or complain it just a bad place around were i live so i cant do any thing more for money
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 10:58:57 pm »
Thats fine, I also want to let you know that this wasn't only directed at you. Like you said a lot of people are complaining about money and I just don't want to read it.....the ironic thing is by making this post I am doing the one thing that I don't want to read anymore x.x

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:08 am »
I sent in nearly 50 applications during winter break trying to find a job and I did get one but it was only for four days. I didn't get the job I have now till mid July. Finding a job takes a lot of time. Everyone is applying and the competition is quite rough.

I don't really care if I get flamed or not at this point...I have a feeling I wont because everyone has seen her reaction to the help we are trying to give her.

Quoted for Truth

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 03:13:12 am »
I was lucky this year... graduation money is a very gooooddd thing. Dx
I tried getting a job at the fair this year but wow spots filled faster than usual!

Hopefully I can get a job after Kumoricon cause I would like to move out while attending college, and aint no way dat happening without a job.

Hey where do you apply to work for a place that's just going to open in your city, and their online site doesnt have the new location listed yet.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 08:19:55 am »
There wouldn't be too many opening right now with any job. You need to look at the beginning of summer and around Christmas time. That is when every job is hiring. The sooner you start applications the better.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 08:42:45 am »
Yeah, usually the hiring season for the holidays is in October. That's when I started as seasonal work last year.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 10:20:53 am »
I think UPS starts seasonal hires in September, they also do tuition reimbursement plus give benefits, it doesn't pay well at all but is a good part time job for a college student.

oslapedo

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:29 am »
Does anyone know of any establishments that hire 15 year olds? I have a feeling that it'll be pretty hard for me to find a part time job at my age, but I want to try.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 10:47:45 am »
Blood/Plasma? Anybody got more info on the process?
Secrety secrets!

oslapedo

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:53 am »
At my school you can donate blood during different times in the year but I think you have to be at least 16.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:33 am »
I think UPS starts seasonal hires in September, they also do tuition reimbursement plus give benefits, it doesn't pay well at all but is a good part time job for a college student.

It's good if you don't have many classes or don't have much time you need to devote to school. I interviewed there just a few weeks ago and they were saying that (for part time), there was the potential for scheduled shifts to begin at least three hours earlier and last at least four hours longer than what they were actually schedule for. I wasn't able to do the job because I have 21 credits of classes to take and have very strict time constraints. But if you're not like me, then the job could be great for you, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:23 am »
Blood/Plasma? Anybody got more info on the process?

I don' know about blood but i know about plasma (faint of heart look away)
you go to a plasma donation center,(the only one i know about is over in gresham i think off of division i think) and you sign up enter unrin tests and blood tests n such
you can donate plasma 2 times a week and i belive you make an apointment
you get 20$ a time and its not considerd 'selling' plasma the 20$ is compinsation for your time
you get called back and each time they check blood pressure and blood sample (for your safty) then you get called back again and you lie down on a cot-bed-thing (they have tvs showing movies) they put a needle in you arm vein, and some blood is taken into a machine, you squese your hand to help it pump, then its swurled in the machine and the plasma (which kinda looks like mt dew) then the blood is put back into your arm (feels cold) and after its all back in, it starts pumping back out and repeat.
when done they remove the needle and you collect 20$ and leave

things to remeber
if your diabetic or have high blood pressure do drugs or have had tattos or piercing recently you prob can't donate
and eat a full meal before
dont do before con there isn't enough time to soo how you would react and you dont want to risk a cold before con

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 12:23:22 pm »
Thanks for the info Jaz! Prolly won't do that... I'll just go sell some books to a used books store instead!
Secrety secrets!