Author Topic: Intro to D&D 4th edition  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
Intro to D&D 4th edition
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:19:42 pm »
Edited to include new information...

It was asked a little while ago if anyone would be interested in running RPGs and me and two others volunteered to do a Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition Introduction to help get new players, or to show the new system to old players. The Format is as follows...

Characters will be pregenerated (made ahead of time),  but encompassing all the classes and most races. If you bring a character with you, the DM will consider allowing it.

We will go over basic rules, and work with players to make sure they understand rules.

Bringing your own dice (standard d20 set) is encouraged however we will have a few spares for loan.

We do not have figures, but if you would like to bring one for yourself or for us to use that is fine.

Be expected to play about 2-4 hours (depending on group).

New players are strongly encouraged, and we will try to have people available if you just want to ask questions about the game.

The times are: Saturday at 9AM and 9PM, and again on Sunday at 11PM, with each time having a group of five (plus the DM). If demand is high enough I will run a second group at each time (with a separate DM).

If you have a full group and would like to meet at a different time contact me.

If you have an questions or concerns please contact me. Also if anyone is interested and has a specific request for a character (Dwarf Fighter, Elf Cleric, Teifling Warlord) you may ask that I try to make one. These will be done on a first come first serve basis.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:04:44 pm by Nroseseeer »
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager

Offline Kurosaki.Isshin

• Sailor Scout
Re: Intro to D&D 4th edition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:29:36 pm »
What day will this be and when?
Cosplays for K-con

Saturday - Kurosaki Isshin - Bleach
Sunday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater
Monday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater *Knight in Team Red*

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:20:15 pm »
I believe it will be during one of the open RPG times. I do not have programming times in front of me however if a specific time is requested I'm sure one of the staff will be able to work it into the schedule. We are trying not to run any during the early to mid saturday, however again something could be worked out if enough people show interest.

Thank you for asking
-anonymous

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:48:35 pm »
So, what are some of the major new features of 4.0?  I started with 3.0, but did most of my DMing with 3.5 because it was what was available when I started getting serious.

I'm on staff for the understaffed game room, so I won't have time to participate, unfortunately.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »
I'll  try to be there for sure.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
So, what are some of the major new features of 4.0?  I started with 3.0, but did most of my DMing with 3.5 because it was what was available when I started getting serious.

I'm on staff for the understaffed game room, so I won't have time to participate, unfortunately.

It's a little complicated to explain because the system as a whole got revamped, but to give you an idea.

The first big change is Powers. All classes have various powers that range from At-will (usable when you want to), to encounter (usable once per fight), to Daily (usable once per day). These powers each do something different and can provide extra damage, knock an opponent down, or provide you or an ally with a bonus. Each class has their own list of powers.

Example: 3.5 - Fighters: "I attack (roll dice).... full attack (roll dice)"  I've seen this a lot... it's gone.

4.0 - Fighters: "I use Tide of Iron - which moves the opponent", "I'll use Sure Strike, it does less damage but increase my chance to hit!"

Another big change is progression. In 3.5 each class had their own Base Attack Progression, Wizards having the slowest and Fighters having the highest. In 4.0 all class progress at the same rate, this is evened out by there powers. Fighters usually fight against AC, but Wizards can fight against Fort, Reflex, or Will.

Last big change I'm going to mention is smoothness of game play, the old system was good but sometimes bogged down in rules. 4.0 rules are based on three points...

Simple rules many exceptions
Specific beats General
Always round down

I'll be happy to discuss more of this before or after the today's meeting, I'll probably have a D&D Player's Handbook with me.

Oh and Tofu, if you have a time you are not working we can try and plan a demo group then if you'd like?

If you are new to D&D and didn't understand any of this, try catching me at the meeting.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:18:38 am by Nroseseeer »
-anonymous

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
After talking with programming I have three time slots for this demo.

Saturday 9am

Saturday 9pm

Sun 11pm

If you are interested please let me know so I can better prepare. Also we are working on having some loaner dice, but try to bring your own.
-anonymous

Offline Kurosaki.Isshin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 05:52:37 pm »
I am interested depending on the times
Cosplays for K-con

Saturday - Kurosaki Isshin - Bleach
Sunday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater
Monday - Dr. Franken Stein - Soul Eater *Knight in Team Red*

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:33 pm »
If I had been thinking and actually brought my power chord, I would have known to find you at the meeting to chat about D&D.  Oh well.

I do want to start playing D&D (and other games) seriously and regularly again after the con, so perhaps we can get together and play some D&D or GURPS at some point.  It sounds like they have done a lot with 4.0 to make the game more playable.

Also, I've been toying around with making maps with Google SketchUp.  If you have experience with CADD, you should try doing that if you're looking to have good maps without needing all the pieces and pencils and paper. 
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 04:45:04 pm »
If you would like Tofu I'd be happy to sit down with you and some of the books and talk about DMing. I personally am not a big fan of GURPS (I never got the system), But I would be happy to pencil in some playing time as a player. Maybe if enough are interested I can hold a session on DMing D&D.... Though with everything else going on it would probably be closer to "I've got 5 min now and 10 min in an hour, find me then".
-anonymous

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:12:27 pm »
After talking with programming I have three time slots for this demo.

Saturday 9am

Saturday 9pm

Sun 11pm

If you are interested please let me know so I can better prepare. Also we are working on having some loaner dice, but try to bring your own.

Perfect! I may be able to hit all those! I need to leave before the openning of the Art Show because I'm staff for it.

If you would like Tofu I'd be happy to sit down with you and some of the books and talk about DMing. I personally am not a big fan of GURPS (I never got the system), But I would be happy to pencil in some playing time as a player. Maybe if enough are interested I can hold a session on DMing D&D.... Though with everything else going on it would probably be closer to "I've got 5 min now and 10 min in an hour, find me then".

I'm also a DM. I'd definitely like more opinions into GMing. No matter how good you are at it, if you see a new "How To DM/GM a TTRPG", you're gonna buy it! ^^
One questions, though. Does 4.0 use maps and miniatures? I'm out of the loop currently; I've been doing a WhiteWolf compilation.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:37 pm »
I'll be there at most of those, I don't know how to D+D, sorry for the nubbishness, its rubbish. I'll bring friends.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 07:42:20 am »
I'm also a DM. I'd definitely like more opinions into GMing. No matter how good you are at it, if you see a new "How To DM/GM a TTRPG", you're gonna buy it! ^^
One questions, though. Does 4.0 use maps and miniatures? I'm out of the loop currently; I've been doing a WhiteWolf compilation.

I actually had a good laugh because the first 4.0 book you could be was D&D "DMing 4th edition for Dummies" so I don't think you are alone. Also to answer your question 4.0 heavily encourages maps, since most of the system uses squares as distance, with figures being a choice for some. I've never used figures but we've been using maps since 3.5, I recommend dry erase grid or poster print.

I'll be there at most of those, I don't know how to D+D, sorry for the nubbishness, its rubbish. I'll bring friends.

That's the reason to have demos like this is to get new players, and teach people the game. I've been "nubbishness" before and my other DM is still learning the system ins and outs. That just means we'll be even more willing to help and let you have fun.

-anonymous

Offline Kayoe

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Invasion: The Comic
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 07:18:14 pm »
Sounds fun!
I've been looking in to trying 4e for a while now, I'm gonna try my best to make one (heck, if I have the time I would go to more, but I figure since this is an intro, it wouldn't be right to take a seat that someone else could use to get introduced with.)

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 07:26:23 pm »
Will we be creating our own characters or are we gonna be using characters made by the DM? I've played AD&D so I'm not sure if there is a huge difference or not. Also, do we need to have little figurines?

"You can't see me!" - John Cena
"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me
"Cocaine is one helluva drug" - Rick James

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 08:32:50 pm »
Will we be creating our own characters or are we gonna be using characters made by the DM? I've played AD&D so I'm not sure if there is a huge difference or not. Also, do we need to have little figurines?
Huh....huh huh. I grew up on AD&D since I was 11 years old. It it unlike anything....ever. Few people on this miserable little planet can comprehend the basic rules. Yes, things have definitely changed. Hopfully, they've gotten rid of most of the modifiers.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:04 am »
As stated in the first post characters will be made by the DM and are in fact almost done. We have a total of 12 characters ready to go, and are expecting to finish the last five on Friday. If you wish, you can make your our character but the DM will have the sole decision to include it or not. As far as figures you are not required to bring a figure but please feel free to, the only thing we really need people to bring is dice (standard D20 set) which are $5-10 at a most gaming stores.

Also I have no problem with people coming back for a "second run". we are working very hard to make this intro exciting the first time, and every time. However we will always focus on getting the people who haven't run the demo yet, but there will always be another DM standing by to answer questions, offer advice, or even run a second game.

And to answer Dshwshr55, I'm not familiar with AD&D but I've read some of the source books and played a lot of 3.0 and 3.5. I think 4th edition is a lot easier to work with modifiers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:34:14 am by Nroseseeer »
-anonymous

Offline Kayoe

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Invasion: The Comic
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:06:57 pm »
Just a question, any dice we should bring extras of, just to speed times where we're rolling multiple dice of the same size?
Or is the standard set just fine?

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:26:05 pm »
As stated in the first post characters will be made by the DM and are in fact almost done. We have a total of 12 characters ready to go, and are expecting to finish the last five on Friday. If you wish, you can make your our character but the DM will have the sole decision to include it or not. As far as figures you are not required to bring a figure but please feel free to, the only thing we really need people to bring is dice (standard D20 set) which are $5-10 at a most gaming stores.

Is there a way you can convert a 3.0/3.5 character to 4.0? I would like to bring my own characters if they can be upgraded somehow.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 08:23:53 am »
Thank you for all who attended I'm sorry I had to cancel saturday nights demo, but both DM's had been working since 2:30 the night before, and HAD to be at the con by 8:00. Sleep deprivation and DMing do not go hand in hand. Also we had two good groups players show up for the early Saturday (noonish for some), and I believe they had a fun. I apoligize if there was some confusion about sunday. I had found a DM who said he would run my demo, but I've heard that no one was there because the magic tournament was still going on. I had passed out at sometime around then in a chair, so I do not have all the facts.

If anyone still has question feel free to contact me, or go to wizards.com 
-anonymous