Author Topic: Windows "Mojave"  (Read 4149 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Windows "Mojave"
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:37:31 pm »
So Windows took Vista, told people who hadn't used it that it was Mojave, let them try it, and asked them what they thought.  They got a lot of positive feedback.

But this isn't a Business Software forum, this is a Gaming forum.

They had absolutely no arguments to counter the arguments that it's a worthless OS for gaming.

So, I want Windows Vista users and ONLY Windows Vista users to tell us what they think of Vista's gaming abilities.

Vista users, post your comments in bold blue text so we know who you are!

They listed 83% user approval - that's 17% that disapprove.  Let's see if that's the 17% I would join if I were careless enough to upgrade.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Windows "Mojave"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:44 pm »
I could never play any games when I was on XP on my old computer. But take into account that my harddrive was slowly burning out...and that my computer was a piece of crap in the first place. Vista seems to work well though, I play lots of TF2 and Portal. I really don't think it's all that bad it just takes a bit to get used to. Oh, and the setup of it is prettier then XP.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:39:47 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 03:27:03 am »
Vista will not have any negative effects on gaming compared to XP.  In fact it will actually perform better in a lot of cases.  I don't think people realize how old XP is.  Its 7, almost 8 years old.  Can anyone with a "gaming" computer say they have anything near 8 years old in their computer?  Not too many, and those who do are playing extremely old games.  However, if XP is working just fine for you right now with your current system, stick with it (unless you have a monster machine that can't be fully utilized in XP).  But if you are building a new machine, upgrading, or have a video card that supports DX10 I implore you to get Vista.

BTW: This was posted from SUSE Linux.  I use Vista is for gaming onry.  Debian & Red Hat for my servers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:30:23 am by grapesoda »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:37:09 am »
Well, it seems I'm going to have to bust some nuts.  I was led to believe that Vista lacked significant backwards compatibility.

Actually, how well does Vista work with older games?  I still enjoy games like Civ 2 (1997), Warlords 3 (1996), and Wings of Glory (1991) a lot, and I'm pretty disappointed when I put in one of my fav. old games in a slick new computer and it fails to install because certain older technologies needed to run games haven't been maintained or emulated in new hardware or firmware.

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:05 pm »
If you really want to play older games that can't run on Vista you can always run them in DOSbox.  I have successfully set up a friend's laptop with Vista to run Warcraft 2.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:43:33 pm »
That's cool; I might actually get back into some of my old favourites, like Settlers, with that.  What about Windows 95 and Windows 98 programs?  I'm finding bugs with both Warlords III: Reign of Heroes (Windows 95), as well as with its standalone sequel Warlords III: Darklords Rising (Windows 95/98) when I try to run them on Windows XP, and I don't suppose Vista would have better backwards compatibility.  Is there a way to emulate older versions of windows with XP or Vista?  I'll buy another computer and set it up with Windows 98 if it's the only way I'll be able to play some of my favourite games, but I really don't want to. :P

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:23:23 pm »
DOSbox might be able to run those.  But if not you could always put Windows 9x in vmware.  The performance might not be as good but with games that old it shouldn't matter.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:11:14 pm »
So, I actually did some independent research on the matter - Microsoft actually developed a program to run multiple OS's on one system.  It works with most versions of Vista and XP and there's a 120 day free trial that you can download from their site.

Also, I decided to do some research specifically on Warlords.  Infinite-interactive.com (the people who programmed the series) has a solution on their FAQ (third question) for running both versions of Warlords III.  And it works!  I don't know if if works with Vista yet, but I'll try to find out soon.