Author Topic: Policy Q & A: Costumes, Weapons, etc... *READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*  (Read 25435 times)

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
Re: Prop question: guns
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:56 pm »
so basically you're asking to bring a functioning firearm to a convention?

have fun with that
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline MadHattan

• Oni
Re: Policy Q & A: Costumes, Weapons, etc... *READ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:29 pm »
Okay, I don't think this is a policy question, but I neeeed help and don't know where to go. My address changed since I pre-ordered my tickets to Kumoricon. Is it too late to have the address changed? Or have it changed to Will-call? I've sent e-mails about this, and never got a reply as to what to do. >.<

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:02 pm »
LadyThistle, just make prop replicas out of PVC and Pinewood.  It's not worth the hassle of disassembling perfectly functional (or almost functional) weapons for cosplay--all it takes is a good saw, some paint, and some patience and you'll get a prop that looks great and won't cause any problems.

edit: merged this discussion with the sticky thread it's in now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:48:00 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline LadyThistle

• Oni
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:51 am »
Considering I made the thing in the first place, it would be easier to take it apart than to make a fake one *head/desk* I'm thinking of maybe making one out of resin. You know, using the real thing to make a mold and then filling the mold with resin. It'd be easier than making a wooden one I suppose.

Unless anyone has any ideas on a better weapon to be carried by an airship captain. I'm open to suggestions.

And thanks for the help~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Unless anyone has any ideas on a better weapon to be carried by an airship captain. I'm open to suggestions.

A MOP.

Sorry about the gun thing, it's a very broad policy that saves us a lot of trouble.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 06:26:01 pm »
unfortunately this falls along the same lines as airsoft. if the guns at one time could fire projectiles, they cannot be used unless they are literally filled with a sealing material such as concrete or other unremovable (without HOURS AND HOURS of work) material. sorry

So, say for in instance I bought two airsofts and literally filled them with unremovable sealing material. Would that be okay? I wouldn't be waving them around but I would only use them for pictures. The other question is if that doesn't work, what about using a fake gun replica (typically used for assault training and NOT an actual projectile of any kind)? I'd ideally like to use this airsoft and render it useless:
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AP-UA-958SH.htm

but if that isn't allowed, what about this:
http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=AG-114+STOCK

Thanks for any help. I just want to make sure I've got a staff's permission before I go spending my money.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:26:52 pm by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
So, regarding the live steel/ stage steel weapons, I have two katana's that aren't steel, and they have never been sharpened, they're used for decoration and lookin pretty. I wanted to know if those I could get peace bonded, if memory serves me right, they're made of pot iron[silvery iron] and they bend very easily unlike steel. Again, they're not sharp, the edge is flat and can't possibly hurt a fly [unless i were to squash it]
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
stage steel IS allowed, tho must as always be peace bonded
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
What about my question? :'D

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
@maki: Yeah, that's the only way airsoft is allowed. As long as they aren't functional or able to be made functional then they are allowed. You can always do what I did, I literally filled the entire inside with hot glue, including where the clip goes. If you want you can have mine, you'll just want to paint it. It's more or less the same type you're looking for, just black. I have pretty much no use for that one anymore :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
Well, the problem is that I need two. :/
I had to use some really lame toy guns for Sakuracon because they didn't allow ANYTHING, remember? lol and they ended up falling apart (luckily on the last day).
Thank you so much though! I have a hot glue gun, so maybe I'll try that P:
It's not like I'll actually use them for anything other than cosplay anyway, so it's not a big deal. Haha.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Ah, I forgot he has two guns! Oh well! :P And yeah, the bigger cons are a lot more strict on their prop policies unfortunately.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
Alright, thanks for letting me know.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
So I'm cosplaying as human Hitmonlee, pic here http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff326/_Absol_/pokepeople/107.jpg and for the feet what I was thinking of doing was buying some crappy flip-flops, cutting the straps off and wrapping them to my feet to keep the look of being wrapped in tape. I've read the policies and whatnot, I just wanted to double check to make sure that it will be acceptable. It will technically have a sole, but better safe than sorry right? Oh and wasn't there a way to make any word into a hyperlink? I wanted the word "here" to be the link but I don't remember how to do it. I know it's unrelated but can anyone tell me how to do it or if it's even possible?
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
One of my cosplays will be Ringo from Air Gear.
and the outfit she wears she is wearing her Air Trecks.
Can I not wear them inside?

• Chibi
As far as I know, that rule is referring to swords and the like. A tennis racket should be fine, but it will of course need to be peacebonded.

EDIT: Also about the air tracks. Do you mean rollerblades? I've seen this question before a long time ago from someone else regarding an Air Gear cosplay and I believe the policy is they can't be worn indoors. Your best bet is probably just to sling them over your shoulder. As for outside the con space, I'm not too sure.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:06:58 pm by kurosakiichigo666 »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Roller blades/skateboards are restricted variously by city ordinances.  I'd basically say just sling 'em over your shoulder and don't plan on wearing them much of anywhere inside downtown Portland.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
Roller blades/skateboards are restricted variously by city ordinances.  I'd basically say just sling 'em over your shoulder and don't plan on wearing them much of anywhere inside downtown Portland.
Thank you for telling me :DDD
Don't want to get kicked out or get in trouble X DD

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Can we get a yojimbo to verify kurosakiichigo666's question?
Is taping the flip flop soles to his feet allowed?

I know that in the past we did not allow someone to JUST wrap their feet in duct tape, but if he adds the sole it sounds OK to me. We need official confirmation from the yojimbo though.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
I dont see a problem with it, soles are still included so there is no bare flesh touching the hotel floor.

I would caution the use of duct tape on skin as that could cause a great deal of pain.

• Chibi
OK awesome thanks Kylite for answering and thanks Tom for bumping. Much appreciated :)

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
So like a Wrench would not be allowed unless it was fake
correct?

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
Signs: As in those signs that people hold up while standing around in the con space.
You can do signs that offer free stuff. You cannot have signs that offer stuff for other stuff.
"Free Hugs" - OK, "Yaoi for Donuts" - not OK, Understand?
Also don't advertise stuff like room parties or your school play. Advertising for your panel or booth in the Exhibitor's hall is OK.
NEVER put signs on the walls! If you have flyers, don't leave piles all over. Take them to the info booth and ask the booth moogle if you can put them there.
Ok so would a sign that says "I like people who glomp me" be ok???

China bound!!!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
The policies on the site as of current are outdated and BADLY in need of an update.

Glomp Me is NOT a form of solicitation as it is not something for something. hence it IS allowed.

Hopefully we can get the policies updated to reflect this.

That said, if we receive complaints about signs, we do reserve the right to place a warning and then remove the sign as needed.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
correct?

a wrench is stage steel as it does not possess a cutting edge.

As long as it has a peacebond (provided by your friendly neighborhood yojimbo) it is allowed

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
@maki: Yeah, that's the only way airsoft is allowed. As long as they aren't functional or able to be made functional then they are allowed. You can always do what I did, I literally filled the entire inside with hot glue, including where the clip goes. If you want you can have mine, you'll just want to paint it. It's more or less the same type you're looking for, just black. I have pretty much no use for that one anymore :P

Just to check and clarify. If an airsoft replica is filled completely with a substance such as hot glue, and it is completely incapable of functioning in its original capacity, it will be acceptable to be Peace Bonded? (In addition to an orange tip).
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
correct?

a wrench is stage steel as it does not possess a cutting edge.

As long as it has a peacebond (provided by your friendly neighborhood yojimbo) it is allowed

So I could carry a wrench around and just not hit
or kill anything correct?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
correct on both as long as it is examined and ok'd by a yojimbo (peacebond included)

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
OKAY
and they will check at the con when I get my badge
right? and a yojimbo..? ^^;

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
correct on both as long as it is examined and ok'd by a yojimbo (peacebond included)

Was this addressed to my question as well (with the "correct on both" part) or only to IcyMelon?
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
yes.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

• Chibi
Give me ambiguity or give me something else! Anyways, I must have been getting mixed up with the Sakuracon forums because I thought there was a no tolerance policy for airsoft but I guess that's only Sakuracon and their insanely strict prop rules. Which I understand, it is a big convention. That's awesome though. Makes for amazing cosplay. And I still like Kumoricon better :P

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:27 am »

Just to check and clarify. If an airsoft replica is filled completely with a substance such as hot glue, and it is completely incapable of functioning in its original capacity, it will be acceptable to be Peace Bonded? (In addition to an orange tip).
So, someone told me that the rules were changed and that airsofts are no longer accepted at all, no matter how much they're altered.
Is it true that this is no longer acceptable? I mean, I've already bought both of them to alter since I asked the forums a while ago.
Please tell me I didn't just waste my money after clarifying with you guys T___T;
V___V
Hopefully this applies to 2010 or else I'll be one sad panda.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2009, 12:27:46 pm »
on the subject of airsoft weapons our policies state:
Certain props are not allowed within the Convention Space. These include, but are not limited to:

* Airsoft or projectile weapons
    * Live (sharp enough to cut) steel
    * Props wide enough or long enough to inhibit flow of traffic
    * Replica weapons that do not comply with state or federal law
    * Paddles (all varieties—including “yaoi” or “yuri” paddles)
    * Props which impede personal or public safety

We have no way to tell at a glance that an airsoft is functional or not. I also don't understand why someone would pay the money to buy an airsoft gun and then wreck it on purpose for a costume instead of looking for a similar water gun, or toy.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 04:02:12 pm »
I wish someone would've said this sooner. A lot of people have been told that they're okay (so long as their not functional) up until this point... and it's two weeks away...

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »
This year we will allow gutted and "bricked" ones with the orange tip. This is only because the policies changed late in the year and next convention year(after elections in October) the wording will be cleaned up to avoid confusion.
 They still have to be peacebonded  after being inspected to find they will not fire at all.
In addition be aware that the Hotel and local police might have their own set of rules concerning Airsoft weapons.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 06:19:55 pm »
Aaaaah, okay! I'll only be using them for picture purposes anyway, so I won't be waving them around and such.
But that's good to hear.
I'll definitely take note of the rule change for next year. Thanks for clarifying  :)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 11:50:38 am »
To summarize the weapons policy:
No live steel, stage steel, or metal weapons.
If a weapon is deemed safe by the yojimbo it will be allowed as long as it is peace bonded INTO the sheath while in the convention space.
No guns. No Airsoft. Period. No matter how disabled or how much of the tip you paint orange they are always going to be too close to the real thing.
No power tools, they are too hard to safely disable. If you need a drill or chainsaw then please buy a prop or a toy to modify and decorate. Hammers, shovels, and other garden tools will be allowed if they do not have sharp points or edges.

I'm glad that my original post will once again be accurate after this year's convention.
Nobody actually put the brick exception clause in.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:56 pm »
I'm sure this won't be an issue, but is it okay to bring an acoustic guitar/guitar case?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:35 pm »
perfectly fine

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2009, 09:21:49 pm »
perfectly fine

Sweet, thank you :) You never know with cons. It always seems like there's just one rule you haven't read that screws your entire cosplay over LOL XD

Offline Electronic Pony

• Oni
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2009, 03:55:09 pm »
I'm 18, and I pre-registered online but will have to get my badge at will-call, do I need to have identification that states that I am 18 when I pick up my badge? Because all that I have in terms of ID is my old school ID, which only has my name and picture on it....?

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »
For one of my costumes, I have a small, fake butterfly knife. It's made of plastic Lego Bionicle pieces, and the "blade" has holes in it. It's pretty obviously fake, but will I need to have it looked at?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »
just peace bonded at the registration peace bond station

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »
Will do :D
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »
Ok, I have a prop gun that is a plastic toy, but I painted it black and it has an orange tip. Would it be allowed since it doesn't fire anything anymore? Or would it be too realistic since I painted it?

Thank you!!

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2009, 06:23:40 pm »
Was it ever airsoft at any time (ie: had moving metal parts on the inside) or shot anything at all to begin with?

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2009, 06:53:40 pm »
It's not airsoft, but at one point it used to shoot those little rubber dart things. However it broke and no longer fires anything.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2009, 06:53:51 pm »
Ok, I have a prop gun that is a plastic toy, but I painted it black and it has an orange tip. Would it be allowed since it doesn't fire anything anymore? Or would it be too realistic since I painted it?

Thank you!!
Same with me. I have a little plastic pistol that I plan to paint silver and only use in pictures. It shoots these wussy little rubber darts, but I won't be bringing them.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter