Author Topic: Pocky Club Art Contest - 2008  (Read 32363 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Pocky Club Art Contest - 2008
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:23 pm »
Those of you who have joined Pocky Club have already heard about this in our newsletter, but the time has come to let others know!

Pocky Club is sponsoring an Art Contest in the Creation Station at Kumoricon 2008. Entries can hand drawn or created on a computer. Entries do need to be in color. We will accept collaborations though, so if one person draws the entry another may ink or color it. Most importantly entries can be drawn before hand or during the convention, so you can hand in your entry at the Creation Station and then enjoy the rest of the convention. Or even email a high resolution version to pockyclub@gmail.com if you can't make it to Kumoricon itself. The judging in each category will be conducted by the Pocky Club membership present on Sunday Night/Monday Morning and Prizes will be awarded on Monday afternoon. Make sure to include your name and email address so we can get you your prize even if you aren't present.

What are the categories though? Here they are, decided upon at last!
All of the Pocky-Tans wear outfits with colors that match their boxes, visit the links to see a scan of the box.

Chocolate
Choco-Tan is friendly and cheerful, cute but not "sexy". She's never the prettiest or the best, but she always does her best and everyone loves her for it. Her hair is dark and not too long but not too short either. Always on the go helping others, she tends towards short skirts/shorts and sneakers, but she always fits in wherever she goes.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/pockyscan1.png

Strawberry
Straw-Tan is the sweetest of the bunch and the most popular. She reminds people of the typical popular cheerleader but she's so nice that it's really hard not to like her and her sunny disposition. She almost always wears dresses or skirts, but never in a fancy way. Like a low key lolita.
Note: There are several kinds of Strawberry Pocky. The small box cream, the old style chunk, and the new style chunk. Consider cream as a younger version if you like.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/StrawberryCream_2007.png
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/StrawberryChunk_New.png
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/StrawberyChunk_Old.png

Men's
Men-Tan was called a tomboy when she was a kid. Now that she's older she still prefers darker outfits but will wear a skirt if it looks good. She is quite strong willed and independent, sometimes she can be bossy but it's because she wants things to be done as well as possible. Her hair is long but she usually wears it up so it's out of her way. When she's off relaxing by herself, she will still lounge around in men's clothes.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/Mens_2008.png

Green Tea
Green-Tan is very conservative both in her dress and attitude. She keeps her clothes very business like, but she enjoys more traditional Japanese cloths like kimonos for special occasions. Her glasses and long hair give her a look of sophistication no matter what she wears. While she may be serious, that doesn't mean she never smiles. It just takes a lot to get a reaction from her subdued demeanor.
Note: There are several versions of Green Tea. The Mousse and the Marble. We are focusing on the Green Mousse.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/MousseGreen.png
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/MousseGreen_old.png
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky%20Boxes/MarbleGreen.png

Reverse
Reverse-Tan has been given plenty of nicknames from her friends, like Poar-Tan or Pari-Tan. She's very introverted and never brings attention to herself. You're never quite sure what she's thinking. With all the changes nobody is even sure what her natural hair color is. She always keeps up with the latest trends but she keeps true to herself. It's just that she never opens up to others to let them know. Reverse-Tan may not wear exactly what those around her are wearing, but the colors of her outfits are usually a backwards version of her friends. Like white with red trim if her friend wears red with white trim.
Note: Reverse Pocky has also been called Poare and PariPo over the years but is always basically the same snack. This link takes you to our main pocky page so you can see them all.
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/pocky.html

Prizes will include a box of Pocky of the flavor appropriate to the category as well as a little bit extra. The main goal of the contest is to decide on the look for each Pocky-Tan so Pocky club can put together commissions from professional artists and also cosplayers dressed as the characters. Pocky Club will credit the original artists but will hold future rights to use the character as they see fit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:28:54 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
Re: Pocky Club Art Contest - 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:00:57 am »
ooo sounds fun! i wanna enter ^.^ as soon as you post the categories >.O

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:14:03 am »
o.O We must discuss everything!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:02:55 pm »
OK! The wait is over, I have changed the above post to list the categories for the art contest.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:09:18 pm »
YAY~ so exciting! I want to enter, but I don't know if that will end up happening. Still, totally awesome that it's begun! X3
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »
woot categories! *already has ideas for each one* ^.^ will work on them soon, hopefully >.O

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:01:59 pm »
YAY~ so exciting! I want to enter, but I don't know if that will end up happening. Still, totally awesome that it's begun! X3

If you want to enter then enter! If you want to do other stuff at the convention we understand! Just make sure to email your entry to pockyclub@gmail.com before the con starts!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:56:13 pm »
ohhhh totally doing this :DD starting right now. teehee
QUESTION: can they be in human form? silly question I know. ALSO can I do a group shot instead of doing all seperate ones?...or not XD
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:01:02 pm by anime_gurl_123 »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:58 pm »
I'm probably gonna do this instead of the Kcon mascot contest simply because the deadline is much much later haha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:08:58 pm »
I can't believe I forgot the reference links! All of the Pocky-Tan mascots should be girls.

To better understand exactly what I'm talking about and the sort of style we're looking for, check out the wikipedia articles on related subjects.

Moe Anthropomorphism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_anthropomorphism

OS-tan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

Mecha Musume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha_Musume
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:45:34 am »
It's finally up!!!! Lolx
I like goats.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »
I finished but I accidently forgot to draw REVERSE, is it still allowed to turn in an entry without all the girls? : [[[[
if not I think...THINK I can squeeze her in there. XD

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:09 am »
Ha! Yes, yes of course!
Each category is its own contest! If you want you can just draw one of the girls.
You can draw individual copies of each one or one big piece of artwork. There's plenty of time to make other works if you want to make a new entry.

Just to be clear with everyone, each of the categories is judged seperately and awarded its own prize. So even though it's one contest, there are plenty of prizes to win. I am pretty sure we'll add an extra prize for the best work of art. Like, the prize for technical expertise. The other prizes are based more on design than "art quality" so I think that the person who does the best artwork deserves a prize as well.

We'll see how many submissions we get.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »
Hoooooooooooooooooow exciting :DDDDDDDDDDDDDd
I like goats.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 02:53:50 pm »
Is there a certain image size you'd like us to shoot for? Cos I know with the kcon mascot it has to be pretty big so they can scale it for whatever they want to post it on.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »
Personally I'm thrilled about this contest. Tom, thanks for continuing to innovate and for always keeping KC fresh and truly unique!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »
We do not have a size request really, since we'll not be using the original image for things like fliers and websites.

Since I expect that the winning characters will be from different artists I plan on commissioning all of the characters to be done by a single artist and that copy will be the high resolution version we'll use in the future. That way the contestants don't have to worry so much about the details.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 10:24:08 pm »
Ah, okay! That makes me feel a bit better haha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:39:18 pm »
 This is such a cute idea! I just love it.

So far I've drawn the Men's pocky but I still have to color it. ((it's going to take a million years! :'())

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 04:27:46 am »
With permission from Tom I added the Pocky Club art contest rules to the Creation Station website!

Check it out! -> http://www.fancreationstation.org/PockyClubContest.htm
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 07:08:48 am »
Thanks mellon! That looks awesome!
I'm totally linking that on the Pocky Club website!

LOL, We're official!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:10:21 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:59:10 am »
This ought to be an interesting art contest to see, I look forward to it.  :-)
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »
I'll be sure to post a thread with all the winners here in the forums if people don't hear about them by Monday.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Kona-chan

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »
I fail to see the deadline to this contest -.-
what is it? cause this sounds like so much fun :D
Kumoricon '10
Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece
Zabuza - Naruto
Toothless - HTTYD

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 11:26:24 pm »
So...if our design doesn't win does it still belong to pocky club? Or can we choose to not have it shown to the public?

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 12:21:23 am »
I fail to see the deadline to this contest -.-
what is it? cause this sounds like so much fun :D

The deadline is Sunday night (of the con..., I believe) and judging will be done by present Pocky Club members on Sunday night/ Monday morning.

Submissions can be handed in at the Creation Station or a high res. version can be e-mailed.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 11:22:04 am »
The deadline for entries is Sunday night of the convention. that is when Pocky Club will vote on the entries. Either email your entry to pockyclub AT gmail DOT com or hand it in at the creation station.

Catmegan: Well, if you really don't want to show your art to the public I can not show it, I guess. No the art that isn't winners is not going to be claimed by Pocky club. I added that who legal section to sort of explain that we were going to use the art that won in the future. If not that exact piece then the design. I was voiding likeness rights and stuff. But if you lose and don't want anyone to see your drawing that's OK. We can give it back. We will be scanning/taking pictures of all the art and giving back the originals anyway.

...oh, someone ninja'd me!

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 03:34:43 pm »
** huge grin **
Loving this contest!!!
** glomps everyone **
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 06:40:01 pm »
Question -- what is missing in this sentence regarding Men-tan?

"...independent, sometimes she can be bossy but it's because she . Her...."

Because she waht!? The suspense is killing me ;-)
Just kidding - I can fill in the blank but I'm wondering what it is really!

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »
Oh geeze! I never noticed that Antares!
I gotta go through my notes to see if I ever wrote the whole thing...

Edit: Nope, I guess not. Time to come up with something quick!

"because she wants things to be done as well as possible"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:29:40 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 01:16:49 am »
So, this is such a fantastic contest idea!  I'm not really the artist-type, but I'm harassing....er...pestering...um...continually asking my friends to enter.   :D 

I was checking out the pocky club site section about the contest and there's not much mentioned about the prizes (other than pocky itself).  What about having fans donate manga/merch./etc. as prizes?  I'd be willing to help out with what I can.   :)
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:05 pm »
I sent mine in! ;D

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 03:20:14 pm »
I'll be hitting Kinokuniya and going through the bargain bins. Random giant mangas are fun!
If anyone EVER wants to donate to Pocky Club we can use it! I can only justify so much when asking the convention for subsidies.

The real prize is that your design will be part of history as the base for future versions of the Pocky-Tans. I'm going to be commissioning a "finished piece" with all the girls together to show off the different designs in one slick art style. There's more to come after that.

I've only been emailed one entry so far, is everyone else going to be handing them in at the con?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »
Awesome!  Then I'll be sure to bring some old manga to the pocky club panel and you can take your pick.    :D
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
I'll have to drop out of this one...too much on my plate this month D:

I really wanted to do this too  :'(

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
Awwww! Darn it Laurifer you really got my hopes up!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Shinigami Squirrel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50:15 pm »
I am SO gonna do this!  KUFUFUFUFU!    ;D

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
so who won this? (i turned an entrey in at the con but couldn't stay for the winner announcments ):
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 05:06:50 pm »
I got to the winner Announcements late as it was, I also don't know if everyone picked up their prizes.

Winners by Character
Choco-tan: Diana Kiester
Straw-tan: Meg Humphrey (aka Meg-chan)
Men-tan: Ashley Roland (aka ShinigamiSquirrel)
Green-tan: Sarah Bartash (aka Antares)
Reverse-tan: Sarah Bartash (aka Antares)

Thanks to everyone who competed, we liked all of your designs but we were looking for a pretty specific "spirit" for each Tan. We only got a couple of other entries so all of the competition was close, the other entries will be posted with the winners here:
http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/pockyclub/Pocky-Tans/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:16:29 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 08:04:36 pm »
I got to the winner Announcements late as it was, I also don't know if everyone picked up their prizes.

Winners by Character
Straw-tan: Meg (aka Meg-chan)

Thanks to everyone who competed, we liked all of your designs but we were looking for a pretty specific "spirit" for each Tan. We only got a couple of other entries so all of the competition was close, the other entries will be posted with the winners here:

Oh wow! I'm so glad I entered! Reverse was the hardest, but also my fav.
Here's a sketch all of mine uncolored and in chibi form:

Congrats to all the winners!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:06:10 pm by Antares »

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:16 am »
: D YAY I'M ACCOMPLISHED

But um, I will do a non 30 minute drawing in color here rull soon.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2008, 11:20:48 am »

Straw-tan: Meg Humphrey (aka Meg-chan)

All of our runner ups can be seen on the Pocky Club photobucket:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline mangakaluna

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:18 pm »
 ;D HEY! I won Choco-tan's design!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 06:28:33 pm »
wow all the entires are so good! :3 congratulation's to everyone that won.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM