Author Topic: I need a specific shirt  (Read 3150 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
I need a specific shirt
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:47:47 pm »
I need a black, long-sleeved, tshirt in at least at 3X. This is the last costume component that I have to get, and NO ONE is selling long-sleeved shirts right now. I'm 5'6" and about 280 and I need it to go down at least mid-thigh.

Where in ALL of Portland/outlying area can I find such a beast?

And THEN I need to go and affix a red R onto it. Where can I get that done? For that matter, having it applied will mean it'll wear off in the wash, right? Because I don't want that...but having it sewn on might make it look unprofessional (and this is a UNIFORM, so it has to look professional).

I've asked this in the cosplay board and no one's replied, and plus it involves off-the-rack buying, so I figured here would be an OK place to ask.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:48:38 pm by BlackjackGabbiani »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: I need a specific shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
Well, I can't guarantee it, but my dad and I have both bought long-sleeved shirts in 3x from Fred Meyer in the past. If I remember right, they had several different colors, the basics like blue, white, and black. But like I said, I can't promise that it'll be there now. That's the problem with dept. stores, their merch. selection differs pretty starkly from week to week.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:55:57 pm »
When you say "in the past" do you remember when it was?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:57:33 pm »
Ah, long ago, like 3 or 4 years, lol. So I guess the info could have become obsolete by now.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:58:50 pm »
Craaaaaap.

Someone suggested Gen X, but it's waaaaaaaaay on the other side of the city from me and really hard to get to. Would it be worth it to make the trek from Beaverton?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:58 pm »
It could be worth it. I know that store does focus a lot more on hip-hop/urbanwear, which means large sizes and whatnot, but you can't be certain they will have exactly what you need.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:05 pm »
Would they have it in plain colors? Or would it be like all up in logos? Because that's another pickle I've run into--most of the shirts have logos splattered all over them.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:20:05 am »
yeah this time of year every where is sleveless cuz its summer last year i was looking for shirts like that and only found sleveless

only other option is to go some where like micaels where they sell plain shirts and buy 2 one for the base and one for the sleves,

other option is they sell t-shirt material at jo annes and make the shirt from scatch it would be pretty easy as its mostly strait stiching and for the R i would get a little red flease fabric cut it out and ahear it with some double sided hem tape or just stich it on with red thread and a szig zag stich (so that way it has room to strech when you put on the shirt
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:49 am »
I found alot of my kids cosplay stuff that was out of season at goodwill.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:12:53 pm »
You can just stencil the "R" with fabric paint, and handwash it so it doesn't fade. Works well for me!

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:57:54 pm »
other option is they sell t-shirt material at jo annes and make the shirt from scatch it would be pretty easy as its mostly strait stiching and for the R i would get a little red flease fabric cut it out and ahear it with some double sided hem tape or just stich it on with red thread and a szig zag stich (so that way it has room to strech when you put on the shirt

Wouldn't that put me back at least twice what it would cost to buy one? Not to mention I'd have to hire someone because I don't know my way around a pattern *and* we don't have a working sewing machine...

And I checked Goodwill already, they didn't have anything *close* (at least the one on 185th--I can't really get around anything off the MAX line that easily)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:01 am »
not if you use a coupon for the fabric and t-shirt fabric is pretty cheap
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »
Keep checking goodwill, also its not that hard to get some cheap red fabric and cut out the R then just stitch it on. Make sure that you stretch the shirt out before you stitch it on.. or put on the shirt and pin the R on so that you can see just where it needs to be plus the shirt stretches more that way... I don't know if I have a 3x black long sleeve shirt but I can check later.. I am pretty sure all I have is the 2x shirts from oldnavy... I picked up a bunch in the springtime when they were starting to get in their summer stuff last year.

goodluck... i will let you know if i find out they are 3x...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:11:25 pm »
OK, I finally found a Gen X near me (...I feel stupid, it was like five miles away) and got the shirt for six bucks!

Now I need to affix the logo, but I suppose that's for the cosplay forum specifically then.