Author Topic: "Plan Your Own Adventure" - Carpool and Room Threads  (Read 2906 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
"Plan Your Own Adventure" - Carpool and Room Threads
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:42 am »
Being the obnoxiously useful little tofu I am, I've been reading around the Plan Your Own Adventure forum for a while doing what I can to help people find other people looking for rooms, rides, etc. to lighten the cost of coming to the con for those who need it.  I was just doing that, and I thought "man, this would be a lot easier if these threads were stickied".

So, here's my thoughts: ask folks to tag their threads with a lamp icon, signifying they wish to have moderator review.  Set requirements for what a thread needs to look like to get stickied in there, put up an Announcement post there so people will be able to read these guidelines, and go at it.  I think that most people would agree that carpool and roomshare threads are more important that threads seeing who wants to go hang out at the mall some time.

This is just a thought; feel welcome to build on this and let us know what you would think.

It should also be mentioned that there is a search function for this forum, so if someone is looking for a hotel room, they could also use that to search for an existing thread before reserving their own room and trying to fill it.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: "Plan Your Own Adventure" - Carpool and Room Threads
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
Although I understand your suggestion from a thread usefulness point of view, in this specific case, I'm hesitant to do this, as the con can't be responsible for people meeting up or sharing on a personal basis, and therefore elevating some above others.

I think it would be acceptable if we simply had all the room share posts, and all the carpool posts, in one thread--but I think that might actually make it harder for people to locate the type of room share/carpool they're looking for. Thoughts?
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:48:34 am »
Make a subforum for them.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:28 am »
That makes sense.

I don't know what all SMF can do, but is there a way to do a filter tag sort of thing so that people could tag their posts as "hotel" or "carpool"?  That would probably work just as well.

Again, even just an advisory stickie or announcement in the Plan your own Adventure subforum to remind people that they can use the search function to find what they're looking for and stating basic guidelines would probably make that subforum a lot more effective as a tool to help attendees have more fun with Kumoricon year-round.

It's nothing dire, but I felt I ought to put it out there for discussion, since there hasn't be a lot of site input lately.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
lol before this year that particular thread grouping was used only for carpool/hotel people and not really for meetups... dunno why its actually been used for its intended purpose this year but its kinda neat! I think though after this year it might be good to make a hotel/carpool subforum or its own section so people know and can see because some threads do get buried but it is up to the poster to also check on their thread and bump as needed...

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:47 pm »
I have been making this suggesiton for years but it keeps getting shot down. so I will make it again.

Make a section on the forums (Hotel: rooms, carpool, and more)

I think this would really help clear the clogs from the help and complaints section.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:34:04 am »
I noticed that Sakuracon has that on their forums, and its very helpful because things that you need to be seen (such as room at con! looking for roomate) can be found instead of scrolling down looking for them between the meetups and such. I'm not saying meetups are bad! I love meetups

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:21:24 am »
WISH GRANTED!

...kind of...

Now for the AMVs!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 12:26:59 am »
Tom, you beat me to my announcement. :)

I'm still moving the threads over. I have a billion tabs open. Cause SMF doesn't allow bulk moving. But mercifully, it does remember the last destination forum selected.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:42:32 am »
Done. The top-level still includes the room and ride sharing description, as child forums don't display a description on the main page so the description for the parent forum covers both itself and its child forum.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
Looks like it's getting some pretty immediate use; thanks for your time Jeff.