Author Topic: AMV Iron Chef?  (Read 13013 times)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
AMV Iron Chef?
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:51 pm »
Saw this in the master list of contests. Is this actually happening?

If so, where do I sign up??  :o

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: AMV Iron Chef?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:55:27 pm »
Maaaan, I'm doing so many things this con I can't even THINK about adding something else. However, gotta say that this is gonna be pretty cool!

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:42:39 pm »
There will be a room available for 1/2 hr or an hour to meet me & pick up your 'stuff.' This is the "AMV Iron Chef Check-in" event in the program. (I think it's Saturday, 10AM ???)

We then have about one day plus 3 hours or so, and then there is a 1-hour block scheduled to show whatever people turn up with. The audience will select a winner, and I bug the Finance people on staff for a prize of some sort to award.

Different people will get different video sources, and there will be a communal bank of music to dip into.

There will also be one 'secret ingredient,' and I might either pick it or have a majority of whoever shows up in the first 10 min of the 'Check-in' come up with a consensus.

I may use the time to show other AMVs, especially contest runner-ups.

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:44:37 am »
Ok, so this isn't all happening in one day? I'm probably only going to make it on Saturday...although I would love to give this a go.  :(  But if its going into Sunday, then I probably won't be able to.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:27:09 am »
The check-in is sometime around 10AM Saturday, and I think the viewing slot is 4pm Sunday.
But I haven't seen the 'official final' schedule so we all need to be flexible...

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:33:01 pm »
Was looking on the schedule and couldn't find the viewing time for the finished Iron Chef vids.

Is it not on there or am I blind? :o

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:44:19 pm »
AMV Iron Chef viewing is Sunday, 9pm in Viewing 3, right before the Off hours AMV showing.  It's not in a panel room.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:51:37 pm »
Oh haha, okay. Thanks. Now I see it. :P

Odd that they would list that in the Viewing room listings, though I assume it's because the other rooms were being used for other things at that time.

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 03:22:38 am »
Looks like I will be able to get the entire weekend off from work. I am so doing this.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »
Yep.

I've given this a lot of thought too, and I think I'll be doing this also. Sounds like a lot of fun! Looks like I won't be getting any sleep this weekend! :D
-Heero/Yami
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: AMV Iron Chef IMPORTANT REMINDER
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
I don't have a roomful of computers with me.

TO MAKE YOUR IRON CHEF AMV, YOU WILL NEED YOUR OWN COMPUTER OR LAPTOP, AND YOUR OWN VIDEO AND AUDIO EDITING SOFTWARE, (and animation/CGI software if you've got it.)

You *may* be able to work on a computer in Gaming, but I have no connections there, and they may have their own rules about who gets to use their computers, for what, and for how long. I also have no idea what software is available on their machines.

I may have a few items like an extra mouse, keyboard, headphones, and some basic cables, in case something DIES.

I will have SIX kits containing two music CDs (the same for all kits,) and two disposable DVDs containing anime raws, ripped VOBs, and fansubs.

If more than six people want to compete, I can bring a four-deck shoe and a stack of gaming chips. The number of contenders can take places along a table, and I will deal standard Blackjack to randomly thin the crowd to SIX MAX. Would that work?

(Before you laugh or rant all over me, there is one county in AZ where their LAW is that if an election for sheriff is tied to within some small percent, they toss the ballots, and the tied candidates play exactly one hand of 5-card stud to determine a winner...)

:-D

PS: I can run a craps table too, but that would go on for hours...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:27:12 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:39:56 pm »
I don't have a roomful of computers with me.

TO MAKE YOUR IRON CHEF AMV, YOU WILL NEED YOUR OWN COMPUTER OR LAPTOP, AND YOUR OWN VIDEO AND AUDIO EDITING SOFTWARE, (and animation/CGI software if you've got it.)

You *may* be able to work on a computer in Gaming, but I have no connections there, and they may have their own rules about who gets to use their computers, for what, and for how long. I also have no idea what software is available on their machines.

I may have a few items like an extra mouse, keyboard, headphones, and some basic cables, in case something DIES.

I will have SIX kits containing two music CDs (the same for all kits,) and two disposable DVDs containing anime raws, ripped VOBs, and fansubs.

If more than six people want to compete, I can bring a four-deck shoe and a stack of gaming chips. The number of contenders can take places along a table, and I will deal standard Blackjack to randomly thin the crowd to SIX MAX. Would that work?

(Before you laugh or rant all over me, there is one county in AZ where their LAW is that if an election for sheriff is tied to within some small percent, they toss the ballots, and the tied candidates play exactly one hand of 5-card stud to determine a winner...)

:-D

PS: I can run a craps table too, but that would go on for hours...

As for the .vob ripped files, are we allowed to convert them to .avi format? (I use AutoGK)

Thanks again, and does AMV Iron Chef start at 10am on Saturday or noon on Saturday? (It says noon on the schedule.....)
-Yami/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:25 am »
Quote from: TohmaSeguchi
As for the .vob ripped files, are we allowed to convert them to .avi format? (I use AutoGK)
Yes, that's what you do. You may use any / all music plus any of the VOBs or fansubs.

Quote from: TohmaSeguchi
does AMV Iron Chef start at 10am on Saturday or noon on Saturday? (It says noon on the schedule.....)

O.o

*I* thought it was Sat at 10am and Sunday afternoon/evening showing.
However, we will follow whatever is PRINTED in the schedule as the final arbiter.

- GLL

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:06:02 am »
Iron Chef AMV check-in: Saturday 12PM in Panel 3
Iron Chef AMV showing: Sunday 9PM in Viewing 3

This is according to the currently-available schedule:
http://www.kumoricon.org/files/kumoricon2008pocketguide.pdf
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:07:15 am by Pie Row Maniac »

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:31 am »
Yes, that's what you do. You may use any / all music plus any of the VOBs or fansubs.

Can we also add in clips of anime that we have on our computer, or are we limited to use only what's on the disc?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:54:26 pm »
Quote from: thundercatlord
Can we also add in clips of anime that we have on our computer, or are we limited to use only what's on the disc?

Well, no - and that's part of the challenge! Each contestant will have two music disks (same for all contenders) plus two video disks (different for all contenders.)

What  you *can* do in advance is to prepare video effects and transitions using scratch footage clips, so that when you get the video in the package you can deftly substitute your scratch clips with clips you select from whatever you get. This is like loading your Magic:The Gathering decks before a tournament - go for it.

Otherwise, somebody could spend MONTHS IN ADVANCE to prepare something like a two-minute, forty-five second visual effects hurricane set to, say, trance or techno - then just buzz through the audio pack, find *something* with a reasonably constant beat, time-shift the music or the video project, mux it and be done in 35 minutes with something that looks like a trip through 'Ghost in the Shell' on technicolor psychotropics.

- G

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »
Iron Chef AMV check-in: Saturday 10AM in Panel 3

Uh......it still says noon on that schedule. And I know I'm not reading it wrong....
-Yami/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:06:00 am »
Iron Chef AMV check-in: Saturday 10AM in Panel 3

Uh......it still says noon on that schedule. And I know I'm not reading it wrong....
-Yami/Heero
haha, damn my bad. You're right, the check-in is at noon on Saturday.
don't mind me duurrr... :P

EDIT: fixed the previous post
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:07:39 am by Pie Row Maniac »

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:10 am »
Quote from: thundercatlord

Well, no - and that's part of the challenge! Each contestant will have two music disks (same for all contenders) plus two video disks (different for all contenders.)

What  you *can* do in advance is to prepare video effects and transitions using scratch footage clips, so that when you get the video in the package you can deftly substitute your scratch clips with clips you select from whatever you get. This is like loading your Magic:The Gathering decks before a tournament - go for it.

Otherwise, somebody could spend MONTHS IN ADVANCE to prepare something like a two-minute, forty-five second visual effects hurricane set to, say, trance or techno - then just buzz through the audio pack, find *something* with a reasonably constant beat, time-shift the music or the video project, mux it and be done in 35 minutes with something that looks like a trip through 'Ghost in the Shell' on technicolor psychotropics.

- G

I figured that would be the case. Just wanted to clarify.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 06:47:27 pm »
I figure if I get to the auditions quick enough and be one of the first ones to go, I'll be able to make it to AMV Iron Chef check-in......*shifty eyes* If not, then, meh....
-Yami/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Phantom

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 05:29:27 pm »
How did this go?  I was really curious about it, but, I was stuck in the registration line for 4 hours on Saturday.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:15 pm »
Well, three contenders showed up at the check-in hour, and since I had made up six kits, I decided to give each editor TWO kits. Double the fun!

The next evening, two out of the three contenders showed up. They are both participants on this forum, so I leave it to their option to speak up and identify themselves and/or comment on their works.

Anyways, we got two AMV projects and showed them for the folks who packed the room. BTW that room was packed and there were still people gawking in form the hallway doors. You editors are GREAT!

So we showed the first, then the second, then asked the viewers in the room which one they prefereed. A decision was made by show of hands, and the winners prize was awarded on the spot. It was a Katsumi Liqueur figurine from Silent Möbius (1998 TV anime.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Mobius

We also showed last year's one project (last year we had five starters and one finisher.) At that time the kits I made up included some of my own personal DVDs. Most of these went 'walking' with the contestants who took a kit then flaked out on me... ggrrr...  :-[

Anyways this year's contest was a blast and both creations showed quality and thought.

One used xxxHolic and Samurai 7. The other used
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and Glass no Kantai.

The time slot was perfect as it lead right into the off-hours show.

Then suddenly they told us it was quarter past two in the morning...

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 10:35:57 pm »
Well, three contenders showed up at the check-in hour, and since I had made up six kits, I decided to give each editor TWO kits. Double the fun!

The next evening, two out of the three contenders showed up. They are both participants on this forum, so I leave it to their option to speak up and identify themselves and/or comment on their works.

Anyways, we got two AMV projects and showed them for the folks who packed the room. BTW that room was packed and there were still people gawking in form the hallway doors. You editors are GREAT!

So we showed the first, then the second, then asked the viewers in the room which one they prefereed. A decision was made by show of hands, and the winners prize was awarded on the spot. It was a Katsumi Liqueur figurine from Silent Möbius (1998 TV anime.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Mobius

We also showed last year's one project (last year we had five starters and one finisher.) At that time the kits I made up included some of my own personal DVDs. Most of these went 'walking' with the contestants who took a kit then flaked out on me... ggrrr...  :-[

Anyways this year's contest was a blast and both creations showed quality and thought.

One used xxxHolic and Samurai 7. The other used
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and Glass no Kantai.

The time slot was perfect as it lead right into the off-hours show.

Then suddenly they told us it was quarter past two in the morning...

I was one of the contenders, I used Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and Glass no Kantai. I was frustrated because I didn't know ANY of the anime that was given to me. The other two editors got stuff that I knew >_<
So I decided to "share my frustrations" in the video, and cracked some jokes, and I guess the audience liked it because they picked it as the winner.  :)

I will post a download link soon.

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 04:06:28 pm »
Ok, so here is my AMV Iron Chef vid:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RU7J9MAB