Author Topic: Grab bags  (Read 4682 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Grab bags
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:54:44 pm »
I was wondering, has anyone here ever purchased a grab bag in the dealer room before? If so, what are some of the things that you've gotten in them? I've recently been thinking of purchasing a grab bag or two myself at the next con I attend.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:55:02 pm by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
Re: Grab bags
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
I've bought a few. Usually it's kinda random stuff. I got some prince of tennis cards, a little rabbit plush and a Japanese Mickey Mouse figure with candy in my last one. XD I guess it kind of depends on where you buy it from. Some you can get manga in and some places have a special thing where one of the bags in the bunch has something really cool in it.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »
I've bought some from years past. It's kinda hit and miss - cool stuff, but I'm not interested in everything I get (ie certain manga, plushies, FMA merch).

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:26:13 pm »
Last grab bag I got, I purchased at Kcon 06? It had snow drop volume 1 (manga), a plushy I gave to someone and a tshirt girl size small with two cherries on the front. Mostly lame.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41:06 pm »
I have bought two grab bags, one at k-con last year and one at s-con, the one I got at k-con had a shirt for my daughter, but other than that nothing i cared about. The one from S-con had a manga my wife liked, a sora necklace for my son, and a dvd that was pretty old but looked interesting. So, kind of a mixed review from me.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 12:21:33 am »
my younger brother bought one last year it had an art book of didi charet and tales of earth see movie but it turned out the tale of earth sea art book was chinese not japanese, really disapointing, tho i was able to get the art book signed by urala k le guin the author of the original book, so that made it cooler
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:25:09 pm »
I was tempted at one point at K-con 07, but I convinced myself not to because I was afraid that it would just be a bunch of random crap that they couldn't fit on the table.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »
I was tempted at one point at K-con 07, but I convinced myself not to because I was afraid that it would just be a bunch of random crap that they couldn't fit on the table.

that's what i'd be afraid of too >.< or the fact that i probably wouldn't know what the stuff was from or that i wouldn't like what it was from... ie if i got a bag full of naruto/bleach items... just not into it *hides from fans of those anime* don't hit me o.O

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »

that's what i'd be afraid of too >.< or the fact that i probably wouldn't know what the stuff was from or that i wouldn't like what it was from... ie if i got a bag full of naruto/bleach items... just not into it *hides from fans of those anime* don't hit me o.O

No need to fear, I've got the Otaku Hamma, remember? ^_^
And yeah, I never bought into the grab bag, but I figure it would be a cool way to spend some extra money if I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to buy. Otaku collectibles are always welcome in my room, I don't care what they are from, really.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »

And yeah, I never bought into the grab bag, but I figure it would be a cool way to spend some extra money if I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to buy. Otaku collectibles are always welcome in my room, I don't care what they are from, really.

ah then you are more of an otaku than i >.> maybe this year i'll be brave enough to buy one, just to say i did it once... lol

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56:27 pm »

ah then you are more of an otaku than i >.> maybe this year i'll be brave enough to buy one, just to say i did it once... lol

And you will get a bag full of bleach keychains just to spite you, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:57:47 pm »

And you will get a bag full of bleach keychains just to spite you, lol

T.T yeah, i'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen *cries*

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:30:50 pm »
when it comes to getting inexpencive con stuff this is my method

find a tasble that has a box that sez "8 items for 5$" or "items in this box are (2-3$)"

then proced to look thru it top to botton cuz you never know what neat stuff you might find
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:12:08 pm »
I would suggest to only buy one.
After my first grab bag (which had a $15 keychain and a manga I REALLY wanted) every other one I bought had absolutely nothing worth keeping.
Which amounted to about $60 worth of useless items I ended up giving away.
;A;

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 01:50:15 am »
I've never bought a grab bag but my sister did once. It didn't have anything we liked and one item in it was actually very, very offensive. It was a shirt that said something along the lines of "If you don't speak English get the F*ck out". =/ I'm not one for grab bags because 1) I get nervous about spending money at cons (so not knowing what I'm spending the money on isn't all that exciting) and 2) I don't like surprises. Haha, I'm boring! XD

Though maybe I'd find a grab bag with that darn Irvine Kinneas collectable figure that always seems to sell out before every other darn character. >_> *has tried for years to get that but everytime it's sold out*
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline TIMEcard

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:57:42 am »
I got one that I really liked at K-con 07. It had a few little random figurines (one of which I gave to a little girl, and she smiled at me amazingly cutely, lol). But it also had all five PGSM Sailor Scout 5' figurines, a keychain, and an amazingly adorable Loveless cell phone charm.
My Kumori-con yaoi video has gotten over 60,000 hits... oops?

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 09:27:30 am »
I've never bought a grab bag but my sister did once. It didn't have anything we liked and one item in it was actually very, very offensive. It was a shirt that said something along the lines of "If you don't speak English get the F*ck out". =/ I'm not one for grab bags because 1) I get nervous about spending money at cons (so not knowing what I'm spending the money on isn't all that exciting) and 2) I don't like surprises. Haha, I'm boring! XD

Though maybe I'd find a grab bag with that darn Irvine Kinneas collectable figure that always seems to sell out before every other darn character. >_> *has tried for years to get that but everytime it's sold out*

I got the same shirt.
I couldn't give it away because... Well, it's offensive.
And I couldn't throw it away because I'm cheap.
Whoever put those shirts in a grab bag needs to be smacked.
>:[
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:28:15 am by Vassa »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »

I got the same shirt.
I couldn't give it away because... Well, it's offensive.
And I couldn't throw it away because I'm cheap.
Whoever put those shirts in a grab bag needs to be smacked.
>:[

You bought those grab bags at a local con (as in Japanese culture/anime con)? The irony of the situation is too much. That sucks, and true, that table/merch store should be booted or something, but it is pretty ironic. Peddling such wares at a Japanese anime con (if that is where you got it).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
ive never personally bought myself anything at a con maybe this year ill make it one of my task to buy a grab bag and just see what i get :P
www.myspace.com/parasolcosplay         
Kumoricon 08
~LEEROY JENKINS - World of Warcraft
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

Offline kuri_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »
grab bags are major hit or misses, but the trading later is cool. I've bough one bag or so each year I go. Last year I ended up with a figure of Saber in her summer outfit from fate stay night. The box was mashed to crap, but she was fine. A got an Inu Yasha key chain I gave to a friend and...a small Fruits Basket shirt and some other thing. The time before that though I got a bag full of crap...or well stuff I wasnt even sure had anythign to do with anime. I traded it all off to another guy for a firgure of Shana. When I made the offer I was just jokeing but he actually wanted to do and was happy to take all those tiny android looking critters. I'm quite happy with Shana though. Honestly, if you like taking chances, go for it. However I have learned that if you do it, go big. the bags aren't worth it but the boxes I hear are. I'm planning to take my chances this year with one...maybe. *waits for her dang school check to arrive*