Author Topic: I NEED AMV HELP!!  (Read 7604 times)

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
I NEED AMV HELP!!
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:33:20 pm »
 Ok so this is my first time EVER making an AMV and I'm having a heck of a lot of issues. I don't Know where I can find some anime I can download for free and without subtitles, English dub if possible.  T_T I couldn't get it off of the DVD. It would have made it MUCH EASIER that way. So if anyone has advice for me, what's a good site or what not.

Oh and any kind of AMV help. ^_^ Thanks lots!

Offline KyoKyo866

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: I NEED AMV HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:15:07 pm »
Well i found youtube to be a marvelous place to download videos, to download them i use vixy.net or ripzor.com.. codec converters help along the process as well
KC '16 Cosplays:
Sweden [APH] - Nearly Done
Germany [APH] - Uncertain
Modern Day Russia [APH] - Done
Lolita - Done

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:20:47 pm »
Well i found youtube to be a marvelous place to download videos, to download them i use vixy.net or ripzor.com.. codec converters help along the process as well
Which can, ironically, put you/your parents in jail.

You can't get anime for free legally, but there are plenty of places that you CAN illegally.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline KyoKyo866

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »

You can't get anime for free legally, but there are plenty of places that you CAN illegally.

lolz dude i checked the sites background its legal XD i'm not a criminal
KC '16 Cosplays:
Sweden [APH] - Nearly Done
Germany [APH] - Uncertain
Modern Day Russia [APH] - Done
Lolita - Done

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:48 pm »
* Sigh* I figured it was going to be illgeal. Oh well, I have one of the animes I want to work with, does anyone know how I can get it onto my computer? cause I've been trying for hours and it won't save or open it.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:18 am »
* Sigh* I figured it was going to be illgeal. Oh well, I have one of the animes I want to work with, does anyone know how I can get it onto my computer? cause I've been trying for hours and it won't save or open it.
- Download DVD Decrypter or any DVD-ripping program.
- Put your DVD into the tray, let it load.
- Rip all .VOB files. This may take a little while, depending on your DVD drive's speed.

- Download and install the most recent Avisynth. Find a Avisynth plug-in for whatever editing program you're using.

- Download the most recent DGIndex, open it up
- In it, open your recently-ripped VOB files
- Using the marker and place-setters on the bottom of the program, highlight which part of the footage you want made into a file
- Go to Audio --> Output Method --> Disable
- Go to File --> Save Project... This will create an AVS file, an Avisynth file. If your computer is fast enough, you can simply use this as your video files for editing.
- Bring them into your editing program and you should be okay.

If you hit any snags, send me a PM and we'll talk from there. Don't let all this information overwhelm you, it takes plenty of time and practice to figure out the tech side of editing. Good luck :)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
AMVs ar *NOT* Illegal - they're 'grey area' works
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:45:20 pm »

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) BUT:
The way the law works is that this is a grey area. Making AMVs is 'infringement,' *BUT* the courts have to decide, pretty much on a case-by-case basis, if the work is *CRIMINAL* infringement or not. Problem with the language is that words like 'unauthorized' and 'infringing use' are scary and sound wrong/immoral. But with FAIR USE, an in fringement can not only not be wrong, it can be an artist's RIGHT. AMVs may or may not be in either camp, and it may take a while for precedent to get settled one way or another. Winds are changing though; media companies are finding out it's not profitable to sue or threaten your own customer base (like, duh?)

There is a longer post on the subject of AMVs here:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=48168
with more information and lots of interesting comments.

Music rights owners tried to sue Thomas Alva Edison for his invention of sound recording cylenders and home-use machine to play the music from the cylinders. They wanted to find a licensing scheme whereby people had to PAY for each single, individual use of each phonograph record when it was played on a record player, or 'gramophone.' ('Gramophone' is one of those words which dates back to the time an airport was called an 'aerodrome.')

One problem is that copyright owners have sometimes asserted 'rights' they don't really have. An example of this is like when you go to a restaurant and there is a sign that says 'Not responsible for lost or stolen articles' - but the legal truth is that they ARE responsible, and putting up a sign cannot remove their liability. But most people who don't know this.

Another example of when people don't know their rights is at certain computer stores where they rummage through your bags on the way out. Oregon law is *VERY* clear on this - once you paid for the stuff title transfers, and the bag is now PRIVATE property. THEY NEED PROBABLE CAUSE AND A WARRANT (or an 'Exception') to look in your bag. Like, they have to have made some observations of you doing specific acts that then generate a REASONABLE BELIEF that you added in something you didn't pay for. Otherwise you can tell 'em "Leave me alone, unless you've got probable cause and a warrant." You can tell them many other 1st Amendment words too.

So record comanies can say "COPYING THIS IS ILLEGAL" but it's actually NOT in ALL CASES. You can lend a book to a friend to read. You can lend a DVD to a friend to watch (or to rip FAIR USE samples of, to create PARODY WORKS.) Example: If I am writing a paper or essay (or multimedia presentation) about my thoughts or idaes, or the history about the General Electric Corporation, I can include their logo breifly enough to ILLUSTRATE my subject so you know what I am talking about. That is an infringement, but it is covered under FAIR USE. So is photocopying a 'small excerpt' of a copyrighted book in your own work when you want to quote or SAMPLE that other work as part of you expressing your own ideas.

PARODY is strongly protected by the Fair Use clause; if you are making parody of something protected, you obviously need to use enough of the original (courts usually settle upon '1/3' and then decide what 1/3 of a cartoon image can be...) in order for audiences to recognize what you're making fun of...

AFAIK there was a case that said that if you already have ripping tools which use deCSS then you can continue to use them for personal use but you cannot SHARE (or make copies for a friend) of deCSS tools. You may be able to buy or otherwise acquire ripping tools legally, because most licenses allow you to make a 'backup copy' of any media you legally acquire which you get to hang onto in the event that your original legally acquired media fails. So, I still have a legal copy of [a ripping program] on my win2K computer. See www.doom9.org for more info on your legal options for procuring ripping tools.

Remember 'Unauthorized' sounds nasty but doesn't always mean 'criminal' or 'illegal.'

Lastly: Take control of the language. Don't say 'unlicensed' (That sounds bad.) Say 'unrestricted by license in the US.' That sounds more like 'you get to use it until someone in the US secures the foreign rights and then asserts US ownership and control' (which is true and even after it's licensed you still get Fair Use even then.)

MAKING AMVs IS STILL 'FAIR USE.'

For Now...

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
I got a message from Jupiter saying DGIndex didn't create an AVS file. I'm not entirely sure why, but some versions do that I guess? I dunno, but I figured I'd address it in the thread so if anyone else has the same problem they can read this:

- Right click on any empty space and hit New --> Text Document...
- Name the file something, with the extension .avs
- For clarity, I name the AVS file the same name as the D2V file. So if I have "footage.d2v" I would name it "footage.avs" This is just a personal preference I recommend to others; it's not required ;)

- Open up the newly-created AVS file and type in this:
MPEG2Source("footage.d2v")
- If you're D2V file is named something other than "footage.d2v" you would put that file's name in the code instead.
- Save and close the AVS file.
- If the AVS file works, you should be able to play it in a media player like Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC or whatever you use.

If you installed the Avisynth plug-in for your editing program, then you can import it into the program as footage. If you're unable to find the plug-in and/or can't edit using the AVS file for whatever reason, then you'll have to go through another process, which I'll detail if anyone needs to know.

Hope that helps guys. :)

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:28:51 pm »
Also if that doesn't help, then download "AutoGK" That converts quite a few codec types to avi and the like....it can also compress your files for you. (It uses VirtualDubMod to do that)

Input file - .vob file from browser
output file- .avi file

Uncheck the 'Audio stream' box on the left if you're using it for an AMV. That cuts out the audio, all of it, from the file.

It takes a while to convert depending on file size and the like, but it's a handy tool. Just google search AutoGK (Auto Guardian Knot)

That's what I use for my converting. :) Hope that helps,
-Heero/Alice
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man