Author Topic: AMV Entries Needed!  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
AMV Entries Needed!
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:08 pm »
OK, we have about 10 WEEKS before the deadline.

So far, as always, I am getting flooded with  DRAMA-1 (serious, languid),  a few comedy and action entries. and a single-digit number in all the rest combined.

Last fall a bunch of fans suggested 'Old School,' but so far I have not received ANY.
Therefore, as a hint, the math indicates that if you are considering making an Old School or a Japanese Music entry, and you haven't started planning your work yet, you will have a much stronger chance of making it onto the screen in those categories, than if you make a Drama-1 entry.

(Unless I suddenly get dumped on now with submissions for Japanese Music or Old School.)

'Old School' is anything that STARTED pre-1990, so that includes ALL Gundam, Sailor Moon, DBZ.
Also includes older Miyazaki OVAs, and Robotech and Macross too, which are mid-1980s.
You can also reach futher back into the dinosaur days of Yamato, Speed Racer, Tetsuwan Atom, and Atragon...

Comments?

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
Re: AMV Entries Needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:53:42 pm »
I am working on a miyazaki amv, but have run in to a little amv writers block. It is very frustrating!

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:46:17 pm »
Hey, don't blame me for my contribution to Drama 1! I make an AMV, then I figure out which category it would go into.

In other news, bad lip-synching and attempts to match up with an actual music video are a go! As in... Yeah. I have a comedy entry that involves Temptation of Sonata and that fight scene in Advent Children.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:17:23 pm »
i'd enter... but all of mine from last year didn't even show up in the extra section of amv's that weren't picked for the contest, which kind of makes me less excited to enter any i may make... i even waited to see if they'd show up at k-con lite, but alas, disappointed again >.<

if i can find a way to make one of them better quality, then i might enter that one... because i thought it was good, but idk... i'd need help with the conversion to the correct format; that's what made it too pixely for a large screen i guess T.T

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:56:24 pm »
I THINK I've finally got my OldSchool and song chosen. Now if I can just figure out this new program. >_<

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:32:08 am »
I need to make a few tweaks to mine (comedy / romance) and I can submit it. ^_^;

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:26:13 pm »
Quote from: Kahlan4
i'd enter... but all of mine from last year didn't even show up in the extra section of amv's that weren't picked for the contest, which kind of makes me less excited to enter any i may make...
Please write me an e-mail (reverse these letters: moc.tensupo@6561yug ) tell my which AMVs you entered, and I will look into this.

i even waited to see if they'd show up at k-con lite, but alas, disappointed again >.<
This was a challenging crowd, because (a) the collection I brought to mini-con were mostly older stuff and did not include recent contest entries, and (b) the mini-con crowd specifically asked for comedy ONLY. My fault about that, I am sorry to have disappointed you.

I've been there too, having submitted stuff and have the judges (of contests in other cons) bounce the entry - or see a stunned, silent audience that doesn't 'get it...' Makes you feel like the ski-jump guy they used to show on 'ABC Wide World of Sports.'

(Week after week, no less, and BTW, his name is Vinko Bogataj)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPk_IZ44DMc

... i'd need help with the conversion to the correct format;
I expect to have one of my machines with my at tomorrow's Kumoricon meeting (18-May-08.) If you catch me there I can show you a few tools and techniques.

BTW - Got 'OLD SCHOOL' entry #1! (From FRANCE!)

Good luck to everybody... !

Offline Prometheus Prime

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:22 pm »
I want to enter multiple videos this year and I plan to make an AMV with my friend. I know there is a limit on entries so I wondered if I entered the co-produced video as one of my entries, would my friend have to count it in his total as well? I had hoped it would only count as an entry for one of us.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 06:56:46 am »
Quote from: Prometheus Prime
I wondered if I entered the co-produced video as one of my entries, would my friend have to count it in his total as well? I had hoped it would only count as an entry for one of us.
I have been in private conversations with other people who are working on an AMV together. This is the first year I have had questions about compilation entries or "jointly-and-severally" works.

The way I see it, each PERSON gets to enter THREE entries, but each entry has ONE PERSON to 'take the lead,' so there is only one name associated with each AMV entry. Therefore, a two-person tag team could enter up to SIX things in one year, but each one has only ONE name attached to it (they decide who) and only ONE prize gets sent per winning entry. How they split up the prize is their deal...

That said though, I wouldn't want a whole STUDIO of 7 AMV fans slamming me with a 21-entry salute. (Oh wait, maybe I would! More entries ALWAYS = more FUN!)

What do YOU GUYS think is fair?

I still think that any ONE AMV gets only ONE prize per category** it wins, regardless of if two or more people worked on it together.

**Any AMV can win more than one prize if, for example, it is a category winner *AND* got selected as judge's choice or Best of Show, etc.

- G

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:06:21 am »
when i get it done, i may enter my hellsing amv, which is a comedy, so maybe that one would have a good chance of getting in ^.^

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:01:06 pm »
OK, we have about 10 WEEKS before the deadline.

So far, as always, I am getting flooded with  DRAMA-1 (serious, languid),  a few comedy and action entries. and a single-digit number in all the rest combined.

Last fall a bunch of fans suggested 'Old School,' but so far I have not received ANY.
Therefore, as a hint, the math indicates that if you are considering making an Old School or a Japanese Music entry, and you haven't started planning your work yet, you will have a much stronger chance of making it onto the screen in those categories, than if you make a Drama-1 entry.

(Unless I suddenly get dumped on now with submissions for Japanese Music or Old School.)

'Old School' is anything that STARTED pre-1990, so that includes ALL Gundam, Sailor Moon, DBZ.
Also includes older Miyazaki OVAs, and Robotech and Macross too, which are mid-1980s.
You can also reach futher back into the dinosaur days of Yamato, Speed Racer, Tetsuwan Atom, and Atragon...

Comments?

When you say "ALL Gundam" Do you include even Gundam Wing as Old School?......
-Bakura/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »
Quote from: TohmaSeguchi
When you say "ALL Gundam" Do you include even Gundam Wing as Old School?......
-Bakura/Heero

Well, we had a discussion open for months and either nobody noticed or nobody had a problem with the idea. A few years ago we experimented with 'new series only' definitions (they were called 'New and Unseen') and they basically excluded overused series of that time. In those definitions, we were looking for anime no older than about 4 years, and the judges of the time suggested to me that that should mean 'first air date of the franchise.'

That would mean that the "Tetsuwan Birdy : Decode" would be OLD even though it hadn't aired yet - because the FIRST animation of the series was, like, 1996. The latest 'Sailor Moon would be 'old,' and the new Speed Racer movie would be 'OLD.'

So technically yeah now that same guideline appears to work in YOUR FAVOR: any 'Gundam' gets grandfathered in. If your mecha have Vee thingies on their helmets then you are STILL STUCK IN THE YEAR 1979. (iirc that's when the first Gundam came out.

The latest fansubbed ep of DBZ is also automatically OLD SCHOOL.

Does this seem unworkable?

- GLL

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:24 am »
So then I can use Gundam wing, awesome!

*has many, many ideas that she could very easily work on...*
-Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:52:30 am »
So then I can use Gundam wing, awesome!

*has many, many ideas that she could very easily work on...*
-Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline toddjake73

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:10:11 am »
I had a quick question about videos submitted. I entered last year, and would like to enter this year, but due to time constraints (two full time jobs specifically) I am having trouble finding time to hammer one out. My question is can I take one of my old AMVs and tweak it for submission? Or do all the AMVs have to be original for the con? And of course, I wouldn't even dream of submitting the one entered last year...

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:34 am »
If an entry wasn't picked in a previous year, I don't see any problem with running it by a new mix of eyes and ears (on the judges' panel) this year, or next year. The only AMVs I would 'ban' from resubmitting would be one that actually played before the audience in a prior Kumoricon contest. If Kumoricon-ners saw it already then you have taken your best shot with that work.

Now , if you keep submitting one particular work, (in one particular category) and group after group after group of judges fail to pick it up and keep selecting other works, my advice would be to study 'what went right' with the ones that were selected. You can always ask questions here, talk with other AMV editors, etc.

Also, A new category is another opportunity for prior submissions which did not get selected. Let's say you have a Drama that didn't get picked up, but there are lots of riders in it (No not 'RIDER' from Fate/Stay! <slaps myself...>) and it gets panned for Drama. Then next year there's a New category called "Horses in Anime' or something like that, then your AMV would certainly be welcome for a try in the new category.

Offline toddjake73

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:15 pm »
Thanks for the response. Last year was the first year I ever even tried to submit anything, but I hae a bunch of videos I made on animemusicvideos.org and youtube that I would like to re-do either because I finally got all of the DVDs for ripping or because I have learned alot about encoding the past couple of years.