Author Topic: Yuri, Yuri, Where art Thou Yuri?  (Read 18089 times)

oslapedo

Yuri, Yuri, Where art Thou Yuri?
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:54:34 pm »
I will preface my looming first voyage to Kumoricon with a confession: I don't like Yaoi. Yes, I know, the fangirls are surely mobbing to my house in droves to scalp me and wipe their butts with my face, but alas, my honesty is prevalent ;)

I'm curious if there's any more Yuri fans out there, because in my brief experience here on these forums it feels like the Yaoi overpowers all else. So, fans of Yuri, despisers of Yuri, neutrals of Yuri- all are welcome! Let's please keep this civil though, and I warn you all, if Yaoi discussion is more prevalent here than Yuri I will personally visit the offenders and Falcon Punch them into a Home Depot  :D Talk of Yaoi here is okay but remember, there are a bajillion other threads all about Yaoi. I'd like this one to focus on the sweetly tender affection of Yuri  ;) Let the gently rippling wave of all that is Yuri commence  :-*

Edit to all: I decided to change the topic title. No more fighting over Yaoi now please  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:58:22 pm by oslapedo »

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
Re: Yuri > Yaoi
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
I don't have much of a preference at all; yaoi or yuri don't really compete with each other in my mind. They're just the same. =) It's not that I necessarily love them both, and it is very entertaining at times, but I am the kind of person who doesn't feel it's against ethics or whatnot so it's kind of normal, in a sense. Eh, what I'm trying to say is, I personally like both as much as a average straight romance pairing.  ;)

But yeah, I know what you mean about most people only liking yaoi. Kind of bad, too, because then it's not really that their supporting homosexuals, just that they think the boys look cute together. =P Gah. But Yuri is cool, and cute at times, so it is pretty cool.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »
 Yea, all the other threads about yaoi are either bashing it or dead.
Maybe, the reason people talk about yaoi here is because they cant anywhere else.

I know, the fan-girls are irritating as all freaking hell, and have completely destroyed it for the rest of us. But what is the big damned deal with yaoi vs yuri anyway?

Guys want to look at girls, and girls want to look at guys. That's all there is to it.

I like yaoi. I don't like yuri, but I will go for Yuri before Het. Can't explain it, and why should I have to? It's just my prerogative. Everyone has their own.

My take on it  is as the great Kyle once said " Either everything is okay, or nothing is"

I'm not pro/against anything, ('cept furries ) and people trying to ban what others like just because it's very existence offends them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:49:13 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:30:18 pm »
I personally like both as much as a average straight romance pairing.

That's pretty much how I feel, and I can't explain the rest of my thoughts about this in coherent sentences. lol.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:07:15 pm »
My previous statements in the yaoi thread still stand. Hell, it pretty much applies to everything.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:18:25 am »
Guys want to look at girls, and girls want to look at guys. That's all there is to it.

*snip*

I'm not pro/against anything, ('cept furries ) and people trying to ban what others like just because it's very existence offends them.
Would I not be a girl then, if I enjoyed looking at girls and guys mutually?  :D

I guess I should clarify to everyone a little then. I don't despise Yaoi, I just wish that Yuri got equal attention, since each deal with homosexual relationships, just from different vantages of the gender spectrum. My disdain for Yaoi comes from my experience with it. Yet have I found a series where the gay love builds up over a realistic amount of time to precede all the butt thumping that will ineviably happen. I'm not opposed to Yaoi just because it's Yaoi. I'm opposed to it because the majority is lacking in the story department, and when I'm reading I like to enjoy it. Give me a Yaoi with plot, and on board I will be ;) I don't think Yaoi should be banned, I simply think that the Yuri love should be shared by all  :)

[/explanation]

A Yuri pairing I'm on a binge for right now is Kyonko x Mikuru. I love the shipping so much more in TMoHS when gender bending is involved  8) Kyonko x Yuki is also really sweet  :)

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:35:22 pm »
I guess I should clarify to everyone a little then. I don't despise Yaoi, I just wish that Yuri got equal attention, since each deal with homosexual relationships, just from different vantages of the gender spectrum.

Hey I'm another big yuri fan here, glad to know there's others out there at Kumoricon. I agree with you, sometimes there's so much yaoi around that I just get to thinking "why, oh why can't there be this much yuri too?! D:"

I definitely don't mind yaoi and even like some, but it would be nice if more yuri were around. :)

Offline vampirek_yaoi

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:05:40 pm »
Hm...I don't know but Yaoi seems to be way more popular than Yuri about anywhere, But personally I like Yaoi, not saying Yuri is wrong, but that's me.

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:47:01 pm »
Hey I'm another big yuri fan here, glad to know there's others out there at Kumoricon. I agree with you, sometimes there's so much yaoi around that I just get to thinking "why, oh why can't there be this much yuri too?! D:"

I definitely don't mind yaoi and even like some, but it would be nice if more yuri were around. :)
I feel like our psychic wavelengths are interloping and having yuri babies with each other! My heart is happy to see that I'm not the only yuri lover  ;D

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:50:27 pm »
Yuri is cool. XD

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:52:15 pm »
 Alright I don't  know why I bother but here's my issue..

I don't care what people are into, it's they're own thing and that's all good.

What I have a SERIOUS problem with, is that the only and I mean ONLY place yaoi is more popular are in groups/gatherings SPECIFICALLY for yaoi.

The fact of the matter is that the only reason people think that theres so much yaoi is because people are completely desensitized to females in sexual suggestive situations they don't notice the latter at all, and if they do is simply accepted as 'the norm'
Yet yaoi is so taboo everywhere else that when just the slightest bit shows up it's " OMG!! IT"S EVERYWHERE!"

The second you leave this forum/convention your bombarded with lesbianism/naked girls in EVERY SINGLE aspect of media.

Is it REALLY that difficult to allow us one bloody weekend where we can discuss/enjoy yaoi?
God knows there is still the unavoidable amount of fan service, scant female costumes, perverted otaku, naked female models, posters, ex  at the convention so it isn't like we get to avoid the other side equally either.

There's also that REALLY irritating unspoken rule that if you show yaoi to guy he will become ill and has the right to get alll butt-hurt ( no pun intended) yet when when a girl is offered yuri and says "No I don't like yuri" is an intolerant bitch.

I reinstate my former " Either everything is okay, or nothing is"

That's  my opinion take or leave it, but I'm not arguing it anymore.

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
What I have a SERIOUS problem with, is that the only and I mean ONLY place yaoi is more popular are in groups/gatherings SPECIFICALLY for yaoi.
Kumoricon isn't exactly a yaoi-only event, yet I've noticed yaoi has a huge following--not that that is a bad thing. :)

The fact of the matter is that the only reason people think that theres so much yaoi is because people are completely desensitized to females in sexual suggestive situations they don't notice the latter at all, and if they do is simply accepted as 'the norm'
Yet yaoi is so taboo everywhere else that when just the slightest bit shows up it's " OMG!! IT"S EVERYWHERE!"
I don't view yaoi as being everywhere from seeing a few doujins in the dealer's room, but rather because of the sheer amount of fans there are.

Is it REALLY that difficult to allow us one bloody weekend where we can discuss/enjoy yaoi?
I don't think any of us were meaning that yaoi shouldn't be a part of Kumoricon. Oslapedo just wanted a place to talk about yuri, because we all like to talk about what we like, right? :)

Quote from: oslapedo
I feel like our psychic wavelengths are interloping and having yuri babies with each other! My heart is happy to see that I'm not the only yuri lover  Grin
Why, there's nothing like some good yuri babies! Don't worry, there are other yuri fans out there, even if they are hard to find sometimes. :D What series do you like? My favorites are Maria-sama ga Miteru, El Cazador de la Bruja, and the ever-parodyful Strawberry Panic, along with plenty more--I've become a bit of a yuri-holic this last year. And I have yet to be introduced to the genderbendiness of Kyonko/Mikuru that you speak of, but it sure sounds intriguing.

oslapedo

Yuri, Yuri, Where art Thou Yuri?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 07:55:09 pm »
@ Valkie
You are such ultimate love, do you know that?   ;D *gives lots of gold stars*

Yuri is cool. XD
Yes, yes it is  :D

@ThiefKingsHier
I can't speak for Japan, or any other nation for that matter, but it's kind of obvious that Yaoi is much more prevalent in America. If you search "yaoi manga" on amazon do you know how many results you get? 915. Yaoi even has it's own section. An entire category, of nothing but yaoi. Comparitviely, if you search "yuri manga" you get 82 results. Can we all agree that 915 > 82? The (slightly obvous, IMO) deduction is that in the R1 market there is a larger audience for yaoi than there is for yuri.
I'm not saying yaoi is bad. I don't like it, but other people can go on liking it all they want. I never tried to stifle the opinions of others. My intention of this was (as Valkie helpfully supplied ;)) for us to talk about yuri. It's slightly disheartening that it's already derailed into a yaoi debate. If you feel you must press this raging topic, then feel free to PM me, but I'd like me some yuri right about now  8)

Why, there's nothing like some good yuri babies! Don't worry, there are other yuri fans out there, even if they are hard to find sometimes. :D What series do you like? My favorites are Maria-sama ga Miteru, El Cazador de la Bruja, and the ever-parodyful Strawberry Panic, along with plenty more--I've become a bit of a yuri-holic this last year. And I have yet to be introduced to the genderbendiness of Kyonko/Mikuru that you speak of, but it sure sounds intriguing.
I'm kind of a pitiful yuri fan :D I really became attracted to the thought of fictionalistic girly love a few months ago, around the time I started saving dilligently for Kumoricon. I haven't been able to buy a single manga for many moons! *plays on the world's smallest violin* It makes me weep that the only slightly yuri manga I have right now is Venus Versus Virus, and all they do is hint, and to ridiculously vague extremes. I only even bought it in the first place because I'd heard so much hype about it being Bleach with yuri :D
I've been wanting to try out Strawberry Panic for a really long time. Of the manga, light novel, and anime versions which do you prefer? They all look rather tantalizing  ;)
Genderbendingness in TMoHS is quite a glorious thing. I'm really into it lately (since I'm deprived of actual yuri manga right now I'm forced to vicariously experience the lesbian love though ships in fanfics and whatnot  ;)) and I'll probably even cosplay as Kyonko to Kumoricon :)

Edit: To those that didn't read the first post (lulz  :D) I changed the topic's title, so now we can all go on with our yuri-licious lives in peace  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:00:10 pm by oslapedo »

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Re: Yuri, Yuri, Where art Thou Yuri?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:12:04 pm »

@ThiefKingsHier
I can't speak for Japan, or any other nation for that matter, but it's kind of obvious that Yaoi is much more prevalent in America. If you search "yaoi manga" on amazon do you know how many results you get? 915. Yaoi even has it's own section. An entire category, of nothing but yaoi. Comparitviely, if you search "yuri manga" you get 82 results. Can we all agree that 915 > 82? The (slightly obvous, IMO) deduction is that in the R1 market there is a larger audience for yaoi than there is for yuri.
I'm not saying yaoi is bad. I don't like it, but other people can go on liking it all they want. I never tried to stifle the opinions of others. My intention of this was (as Valkie helpfully supplied ;)) for us to talk about yuri. It's slightly disheartening that it's already derailed into a yaoi debate. If you feel you must press this raging topic, then feel free to PM me, but I'd like me some yuri right about now  8)

The reason yaoi is more popular on the intarwebs is because it's the only place you can get it.
As far as general media is concerned there is no question over which is more popular.

You asked for it when you said yuri > yaoi.

Nope. No need to press it. The idea that yaoi is more abundant is far too ridiculous to do so.

Well then, on topic.. I do like the drawing style that most yuri is done in. It's really pretty. That's the one thing it has over yaoi. Most yaoi is drawn just god-awfully. Such a turn off. >_<
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:35:45 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:50:23 pm »
@ Valkie
You are such ultimate love, do you know that?   ;D *gives lots of gold stars
Oh, blushes! No no you are ultimate love, providing a Yuri Nook on the K-con forums and all...XD

I'm kind of a pitiful yuri fan :D I really became attracted to the thought of fictionalistic girly love a few months ago, around the time I started saving dilligently for Kumoricon. I haven't been able to buy a single manga for many moons! *plays on the world's smallest violin* It makes me weep that the only slightly yuri manga I have right now is Venus Versus Virus, and all they do is hint, and to ridiculously vague extremes. I only even bought it in the first place because I'd heard so much hype about it being Bleach with yuri :D
I've been wanting to try out Strawberry Panic for a really long time. Of the manga, light novel, and anime versions which do you prefer? They all look rather tantalizing  ;)
Genderbendingness in TMoHS is quite a glorious thing. I'm really into it lately (since I'm deprived of actual yuri manga right now I'm forced to vicariously experience the lesbian love though ships in fanfics and whatnot  ;)) and I'll probably even cosplay as Kyonko to Kumoricon :)
I know the feeling, just about any extra money I have goes to the K-con fund rather than any new manga...I have such a long list of stuff to buy now. I like Venus Versus Virus, but yeah, you really have to pay attention to notice the glimpses of yuri. But Lucia is cool, so it's worth it :) I just love her character design.

I prefer the anime version of Strawberry Panic quite a lot. The light novels and manga, which have the same "plot" as one another (if you can call the neverending yuri drama between schoolgirls that I love so much a plot XD), are fairly different from the anime. The anime is just more interesting and focuses on stuff beyond Shizuma and Nagisa's romps around the campus. Definitely check it out, there are many ridiculous fun times to be had. :)

Hehe, I'll look forward to seeing you as Kyonko at the Con. :) Will this be your first anime convention, or have you been to some before K-con?

oslapedo

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »
The reason yaoi is more popular on the intarwebs is because it's the only place you can get it.
As far as general media is concerned there is no question over which is more popular.

You asked for it when you said yuri > yaoi.

Nope. No need to press it. The idea that yaoi is more abundant is far too ridiculous to do so.

Well then, on topic.. I do like the drawing style that most yuri is done in. It's really pretty. That's the one thing it has over yaoi. Most yaoi is drawn just god-awfully. Such a turn off. >_<
The Yuri>Yaoi thing was my bad, and I just put it in because that's my opinion of the manga hierarchy. All fixed now  :)

I still disagree with you on your opinion of Yaoi's abundance, but ah well  ;)

I love how Yuri is drawn as wll <3 For something like a light novel, I wouldn't care about a few pages of bad art, but in a manga smexy looking pictures certainly help to enhance the story.

Oh, blushes! No no you are ultimate love, providing a Yuri Nook on the K-con forums and all...XD
I do what I can  ;)

I know the feeling, just about any extra money I have goes to the K-con fund rather than any new manga...I have such a long list of stuff to buy now. I like Venus Versus Virus, but yeah, you really have to pay attention to notice the glimpses of yuri. But Lucia is cool, so it's worth it :) I just love her character design.

I prefer the anime version of Strawberry Panic quite a lot. The light novels and manga, which have the same "plot" as one another (if you can call the neverending yuri drama between schoolgirls that I love so much a plot XD), are fairly different from the anime. The anime is just more interesting and focuses on stuff beyond Shizuma and Nagisa's romps around the campus. Definitely check it out, there are many ridiculous fun times to be had. :)

Hehe, I'll look forward to seeing you as Kyonko at the Con. :) Will this be your first anime convention, or have you been to some before K-con?

I love Lucia's design too <3 Her character is positively buhdass too  ;D

I'll check out the anime Strawberry Panic then, I like me some yuri drama  ;)

As for cons, this will be my first one! I'm intensely pumped up  ;D Are you going to cosplay as anyone? Also, have you heard about the yaoi/yuri party? It makes my heart happy  :D

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
I love Lucia's design too <3 Her character is positively buhdass too  ;D

I'll check out the anime Strawberry Panic then, I like me some yuri drama  ;)

As for cons, this will be my first one! I'm intensely pumped up  ;D Are you going to cosplay as anyone? Also, have you heard about the yaoi/yuri party? It makes my heart happy  :D

Ohboy, your first con? Haha, get ready, being surrounded by so many fellow fans and cosplayers for the first time can be a bit intoxicating. XD You'll have a blast, there's nothing in life quite like anime conventions. :) And yes, I'll be cosplaying as Meg from Burst Angel. I might also be Mikuru for one day/part of a day since I have the costume from Sakuracon. I saw the thread about the yaoi/yuri party but haven't looked at it yet - what's it all about? :D

oslapedo

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:43 pm »
Ohboy, your first con? Haha, get ready, being surrounded by so many fellow fans and cosplayers for the first time can be a bit intoxicating. XD You'll have a blast, there's nothing in life quite like anime conventions. :) And yes, I'll be cosplaying as Meg from Burst Angel. I might also be Mikuru for one day/part of a day since I have the costume from Sakuracon. I saw the thread about the yaoi/yuri party but haven't looked at it yet - what's it all about? :D
I'm pretty excited to bask in so much nerdy glory  ;D And holycrapZOMG you should definitely be Mikuru! We should wear our TMoHS cosplay on the same day, for glorious real-life yuri hijinks! Oh yuri, and it's almighty power to bring people togeher *happy tear*
And about the yaoi/yuri party- I have no clue what it's about xD I'm excited though! You should poke in it, the more yuri love, the better  ;)

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:31:15 pm »
First, how old are ya'll?  ;) If you're under 18, go to the Yaoi/Yuri Party forum, but if not, you might want to go to http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=6880.0

oslapedo

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 10:37:03 pm »
The underage one is the cool one  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:04:22 pm by oslapedo »

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:27 pm »
^ This person speaks the truth!

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »
Of course I do, why lie and taint our world with polluted knowledge?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:04:01 pm by oslapedo »

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:48 am »
The problem is that it seems most of the yuri out there is basically cheap porn. Not to say that most yaoi isn't, but it seems people try to string at least a *little* plot into their yaoi. And the guys look like guys you'd see on the street rather than the 46FFFs we get in the cheaper yuri and even het hentai.

Sex scenes are all well and good, but tell us WHY these characters are going at it. What led up to it? What's their relationship like outside the bedroom?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 03:45:42 pm »
Hm, yuri's okaay. I personally prefer yaoi, but I don't mind yuri.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 04:07:46 pm »
The problem is that it seems most of the yuri out there is basically cheap porn. Not to say that most yaoi isn't, but it seems people try to string at least a *little* plot into their yaoi. And the guys look like guys you'd see on the street rather than the 46FFFs we get in the cheaper yuri and even het hentai.

Sex scenes are all well and good, but tell us WHY these characters are going at it. What led up to it? What's their relationship like outside the bedroom?

That's why I really don't like most yuri. Especially fan fiction.

Not So much the lack of plot, but th way it's written.
 It's just..vile and so badly written. With words like ' f*ck' "c*nt "sn**ch..' "p**sy" 'b**ch" 

ALL of those terms are derogatory and just filthy. I have never read anything using decent, or even proper terms.

It's obviously written by some dumb teenage boy who thought nothing about sex and thought nothing more than " Dood1 It'd be HAWT if these two b**ches were fu**ing for no reason at all. 

Come to think of it, a lot of porn ( het or Yuri) seems like it was written by someone who has never even gotten to second base with a woman.

I'm sorry boys but no, woman do not have mind blowing orgasms from tickling their breast for two seconds.  ::)

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 09:36:17 pm »
I personally like both as much as a average straight romance pairing.

That's pretty much how I feel, and I can't explain the rest of my thoughts about this in coherent sentences. lol.

both are very cute :) I just wish the jokes didn't infect the con... it is like cancer.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »
both are very cute :) I just wish the jokes didn't infect the con... it is like cancer.

Yeah all the jokes are overplayed, its kinda stupid like guys that dress up as bridget just for a laugh... i know its not really on subject but its all i could come up with heh
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »
You know what? In the words of the great and powerful Beatles:

"All you need is love."

I love Yaoi/Yuri/Het equally. Thought I'd just share my opinion.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:53 pm »
 :D Yes, love... in all forms is a beautiful thing... and sexy as hell.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 08:45:12 am »
For those of you who think yuri is more abundant than yaoi, go check out the Boarders on cedar hills in beaverton, they have a whole end cap devoted to yaoi but no mention of yuri anywhere.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 11:07:15 am »
For those of you who think yuri is more abundant than yaoi, go check out the Boarders on cedar hills in beaverton, they have a whole end cap devoted to yaoi but no mention of yuri anywhere.
Or in powell's... they have it in two separate sections. I found that out by the sign that was posted in the manga section xP
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 11:36:12 am »

I'm not hearing it. AT ALL.
Bitching that there is more yaoi than yuri is like telling a black man that he doesn't understand how hard your rich white ancestors suffered.  ( Not as offensive obviously, but the principle is the same)

The reason your finding more yaoi is because it isn't at all. It's shonene ai. You arent finding any yuri/general hentai/naked girls is because it's all in the adult section.
 Go to the 'adult' anime section and tell me how actual hardcore yaoi you find.

Hell, go anywhere that is not manga only and see what you find.
Turn on your TV, or a video game.  Visit an online anime store and look through the body pillows and resign figurines. Then tell me that that there is more yaoi/naked men.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 11:46:29 am »
Yikes, you sound upset Thiefkingsheir, but isn't everyone entitled to an opinion?  ::)
I guess I've never posted my opinion of yuri on here though so here it goes...
It's alright *shrugs* not my cup of tea but I understand that everyone has their own interests.
AAaaaand that's about... it. Lol

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »
yaoi + yuri = serious business
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »
Or in powell's... they have it in two separate sections. I found that out by the sign that was posted in the manga section xP

Not to mention that there are, what, about 20 licensed yuri titles compared to a couple hundred yaoi?  I have also seen the yaoi and yuri sections of manga stores in Japan.  Yaoi is way bigger there, too. 

I don't mean this as anti-yuri in anyway, but there is a clear and huge difference in the popularity of the two genres. 

2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

oslapedo

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
I don't mean this as anti-yuri in anyway, but there is a clear and huge difference in the popularity of the two genres. 

That's not anti-yuri at all! Those are just the sweeteningly sad facts of life  ;)

@ ThiefKingsHier
"Yuri" does not cover real life ladies bowchickawowow-ing. Yuri involves the female relationships within a fictional media, and such a media would be manga or anime. It's true that there's an abundance of things like "Girls Gone Wild", but I don't think that has anything to do with yuri at all. At best you could call it contrived-faking-it-for-the-camera-faux-lesbian-love ;) However, if your talking about anime merchandise, and how generally there are more girl statues than guy statues then that would be a true statement. But it's obscene to claim that there is a majority of yuri, simply because the gender of the characters being displayed is female. That's like saying Dragon Ball is a yaoi because it's full of men  :D

If you'd like to clarify some more, then go ahead, but I would like all to remain peaceful here :)

*Swooshes forum back on topic*

To those who have never read or seen yuri, what kind of yuri pairings do you like to see/make in fan media? Like in a Naruto fanfic what yuri couplings make your heart happy? Or what kind of yurilicious fan art do you enjoy?

For me my favorite yuri ships right now are all within TMoHS, and genderbending makes the pairings even more fun!  ;D If I were to use Naruto though, as a general example, I like Ino x Sakura, Ino x Hinata, Ino x Any girl  :D

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 11:51:16 am »
Are there any decent Yuri anime that have a good plot? If so, please inform me!  ;)

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 05:28:41 pm »
Are there any decent Yuri anime that have a good plot? If so, please inform me!  ;)

Simoun is an awesome yuri series with an actual (very good, IMO) plot. It's actually about something besides schoolgirls, wow! XD

Quote from: BlackjackGabbiani
Sad but true. There's a pretty slim selection out there of yuri with good characters/plot.

I'm pretty excited to bask in so much nerdy glory  Grin And holycrapZOMG you should definitely be Mikuru! We should wear our TMoHS cosplay on the same day, for glorious real-life yuri hijinks! Oh yuri, and it's almighty power to bring people togeher *happy tear*
I'm thinking I'll be Mikuru on monday (I want to be Meg the two full days since it'll be my new costume =D), so you should be Kyonko that day and we'll get us some yurilicious pictures!

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 08:47:37 pm »
Thanks for the input! I'll look that up when I have time.  :)  And I'm really glad I now have one for reference to watch <3333 Again, thanks!

oslapedo

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 12:23:13 am »
I'm thinking I'll be Mikuru on monday (I want to be Meg the two full days since it'll be my new costume =D), so you should be Kyonko that day and we'll get us some yurilicious pictures!
That sounds yuriliciously delightful! I'll definitely wear my Kyonko on Monday for you my dear  ;)

I'm quite saddened right now. Seven Seas, a manga publisher that brings much yuri to our American shores is indefinitely suspending most of the manga and light novels in their "Strawberry" line, one that is primarily yuri. It's disheartening that they're already running into financial issues, Seven Seas consistently put out high quality books and there were many series from them that I wanted t check out.

Ah well. The burning passion of my yuri-loving heart has not been completely vanquished  ;)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 12:33:46 am »
That sounds yuriliciously delightful! I'll definitely wear my Kyonko on Monday for you my dear  ;)

I'm quite saddened right now. Seven Seas, a manga publisher that brings much yuri to our American shores is indefinitely suspending most of the manga and light novels in their "Strawberry" line, one that is primarily yuri. It's disheartening that they're already running into financial issues, Seven Seas consistently put out high quality books and there were many series from them that I wanted t check out.

Ah well. The burning passion of my yuri-loving heart has not been completely vanquished  ;)
at least you have the wonderfully convenient internet, if anything else xD

oslapedo

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:14 pm »
That's true but I prefer the feel of a book in my hand.   ;)

Besides, if we never purchase the yuri that we like, manga publishers will assume that the fanbase of yuri is unwilling to support it by buying the sries that they enjoy. Then we'll have even less of a yuri audience in the US and that would make my heart eternally sad.  :'(

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »
of course! lol I just meant if there's one that you want to read that won't be hitting U.S. shores then you have an alternative.

oslapedo

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
I see your logic  :D

To all the KCers that have already experienced the delight of KC, how much yuri merchandise is there usually, if any? Yuri junk would make my heart, oh-so happy ;)

Also, what is a "yaoi" paddle? And is there a "yuri" paddle too?  ???

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 08:43:54 pm »
I see your logic  :D

To all the KCers that have already experienced the delight of KC, how much yuri merchandise is there usually, if any? Yuri junk would make my heart, oh-so happy ;)

Also, what is a "yaoi" paddle? And is there a "yuri" paddle too?  ???

Yaoi AND yuri paddles are just what they sound like. Wooden paddles that say 'taoi' or 'yuri' on them.

They were clever at first, but after  ooh two conventions every fangirl was carrying them around and randomly smacking people with them. It got annoying very fast and they were banned, by Sakura con at least, I'm sure it wasn't the only one.

oslapedo

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:06 pm »
So you just harass strangers with them? That's kind of twisted. If I ever got one it'd just be to revel in the awesome that is yuri, but I suppose that my sentiment isn't widespread  :D

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:48 pm »

Last Kumoricon there was a woman OFFERING to spank people so they could get there pictures take/be laughed at. Now that;s how it should be done.

oslapedo

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »
Politely instead of cruelly? That seems like a fair deal  :)

On the topic of yuri, I intend on submitting some good 'ol yuri fanfiction to the FF contest. I think we should all spread the love/word  :D

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:20 pm »
That will be much appreciated.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 12:42:10 am »
Politely instead of cruelly? That seems like a fair deal  :)

Well it depends. She wouldn't hit you without permission but you had the option of hard/soft core.Being my idiot Renji-cosplaying self I told her to 'bring it. It hurt bad >_< Which surprised the hell out of me.

I actually think it was because I had done so much acting that weekend I'd had it in my head that the physical pain was imaginary too.