Author Topic: Pokémon DP Tournament/Meetup?  (Read 9800 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Pokémon DP Tournament/Meetup?
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:05 pm »
Would anyone want to have a tournament? Or even a get-together like we had last year, which was insanely fun.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
Re: Pokémon DP Tournament/Meetup?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:50:14 pm »
I'd definitely be up for a tournament. Sakuracon's tourny was alot of fun

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:25:15 am »
Yes, my daughter wants to go to a meet up this year.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:11:44 am »
I'd definitely be up for a tournament. Sakuracon's tourny was alot of fun

Were there a lot of IV trainers there? Because in the RSE tournament year before, I managed to make it to the semifinals and I've never IV trained a day in my life, but at the GameStop tournament last summer I got taken down in one hit due to that.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:06:18 pm »
Are you talking EV training or breeding for IVs? I think only myself and the guy I fought in the finals did both, possibly a few others.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:51:11 am »
Oh yeah, EV is what I meant. I still don't know what the hell IVs are.

Offline DarkKnightUltima

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »
I'll come.
PSN: MiyamotoKaizen
Steam: DarkUltima (Miyamoto Kaizen should be what you see)
Costume Progress:
Zengar Zombolt (SRWOG) - 100%

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:03 am »
Awesome. We need to figure how to get on the schedule somehow.

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »
I'll come as well. I want to suggest a set of rules:

4 on 4 double battle no ubers.  Its like the pokemon showdown 2008 this year. I was prepared to go but i didn't. I want to use this team for something
-----------------------------

A true trainer never backs down from a challenge

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:03 pm »
I think it'd be fun to have a tournament where the rules change each round. Like one round is 1v1, next round is double battles, etc.

Also, I can run the get together, but I have no idea how to run a tournament. Anyone want to take the reigns for that?

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 12:31:24 am »
I would be happy to do that.  Its not that hard.  Alright, that idea sounds good, we can have rounds. Mixed battles may be fun. But we'd have to look into that later.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:49 pm »
If were gathering ideas for rules, I suggest 3v3 single battles with the semi-final and final battles at 6v6, no ubers, sleep/evasion/species/item clause (which means... you cant sleep more than one of your opponents pokemon, cant use evasion attacks like double team (lowering your opponents accuracy is fine however), cant use more than one of the same pokemon, and cant use more than one of the same item.

Mixed would be cool, Im just not a fan of double battles

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:50:35 pm »
Hmm I'm willing to set up some prizes. I have some shinies, a lot of ev trained pokemon with good IVs and Natures and moves for that matter. Also some event pokemon as well. Such as Japanese and JAA pokemon.

If we can get the battles on pokemon battle revolution that would be nice as well.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:20 am »
If were gathering ideas for rules, I suggest 3v3 single battles with the semi-final and final battles at 6v6, no ubers, sleep/evasion/species/item clause (which means... you cant sleep more than one of your opponents pokemon, cant use evasion attacks like double team (lowering your opponents accuracy is fine however), cant use more than one of the same pokemon, and cant use more than one of the same item.

Mixed would be cool, Im just not a fan of double battles
What would the levels range be?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:56 am »
Well for a tournament, it would be either played out through wi-fi or Pokemon Battle Revolution so we can auto-set the levels of all pokemon to either 50 or 100. Its nice since people with not very high level pokemon can compete with higher level ones (your pokemon keep their moves and everything, their stats get changed to how they would be at lvl 50/100)

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
I don't know about wifi and how that would work but Battle revolution with the level adjusting is good.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:32 pm »
I don't know about wifi and how that would work but Battle revolution with the level adjusting is good.

This will be my first time to this particular hotel, but about 50% of the time they have wifi internet. It is kind of a pain in the ass to get everyones friend codes and such. That'd be just in the case that we dont have PBR, which I could bring if we cant secure a copy. We almost had to do that at Sakuracon just because there was so much wifi interference in game room that it wouldnt connect to the DS's, but luckily we were able to move to a different room.

Offline lolanime

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 05:05:17 pm »
Im down, this sounds awesome.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »
We seriously need to set down some dates and times. But that would require us to know most of the rest of the schedule--at least I would, since I've got panels to run (and one to attend).

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
one on each day would sound okay. One for doubles, another for singles, and I dunno maybe mixed for the third. Grab a team mate and duke it out with other people for the mixed battles. Does that sound fine?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:37 pm »
What levels should we be going for? Union Room caps out at 30, which is REALLY stupid, but we may have to limit it to UR in case we don't get proper wifi in there.

A level 1 battle would be interesting. Although F.E.A.R. may have to be banned.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 11:26:53 pm »
What levels should we be going for? Union Room caps out at 30, which is REALLY stupid, but we may have to limit it to UR in case we don't get proper wifi in there.

A level 1 battle would be interesting. Although F.E.A.R. may have to be banned.

Play the battles through Pokemon Battle Revolution for the wii. You can wirelessly battle with your DS's and set the level to either 50 or 100 (I like 100 myself)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 03:45:58 am »
But then we'd have to get enough Wiis to go around. Wheras everyone who'd otherwise come has a DS already.

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 09:05:28 am »
?
You would only need one wii and one copy of PBR to set up a bracket to do the tournament. Im sure its something the video game room can set aside for us if we are planning a tournament. Playing through the Union Room isnt possible because it wont allow pokemon higher than 30...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 10:58:45 pm »
But then we could only do one round at a time, and that'll take forever.

Also, why DOES Union Room do that anyway? It makes no logical sense whatsoever. Although again, we could set up lower-level tournaments.

Offline lolanime

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
tournaments usually take forever. Im with kazzu on this one.

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »
Hello, my name is Eiji. I'm the one who headed up the meet up last year, and am doing so again this year. I'm also panel coordinator this year. I had already been planning on doing at least one tournament in conjunction with the meet up, but I am willing to expand what I had already planned. A level 1 tourney would be interesting, and I had planned on that one among other ways to make the playing field even for everyone. As for the wiis and other associated items, I've already talked to gaming and we have some ideas about how to go about finding at least 1 to use.

^w^ Suggestions and questions are wonderful.

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:17 pm »
Oh so you are already running this, I see. Well what are your ideas and rules for the tournament?

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 12:09:51 am »
Hello, my name is Eiji. I'm the one who headed up the meet up last year, and am doing so again this year. I'm also panel coordinator this year. I had already been planning on doing at least one tournament in conjunction with the meet up, but I am willing to expand what I had already planned. A level 1 tourney would be interesting, and I had planned on that one among other ways to make the playing field even for everyone. As for the wiis and other associated items, I've already talked to gaming and we have some ideas about how to go about finding at least 1 to use.

^w^ Suggestions and questions are wonderful.

Sounds good that someone is able to organize it :D I would volunteer my own wii and PBR if needed, I'd just need a heads-up on it. Im not sure what the turnout size would be, but a couple of wiis would be plenty I think.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 12:10:13 am »
Hello, my name is Eiji. I'm the one who headed up the meet up last year, and am doing so again this year. I'm also panel coordinator this year. I had already been planning on doing at least one tournament in conjunction with the meet up, but I am willing to expand what I had already planned.

It would have been nice for you (or someone anyway) to contact me back when I started this thread, considering how long it's been up for, but as it stands would you like any more ideas?

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 12:06:04 pm »
The thread has been up since June.  Its been a pretty busy last couple of months.  But I've had my thread up since February assuring that the Pokemon tournament / panel was a for sure thing, due to the work from Eiji.  Otherwise it might have gotten shuffled to the side.  It is great that you're spurring up more interest in the Pokemon tournament, but please rest assured that we have had people in charge of things, even if they are inactive on the threads.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 03:44:42 pm »
I do apologise for my lateness. Like Mark said, the last couple of months have been crazy. And I do like a lot of the ideas I've seen here, and I think they will go well with the ones I have.

Before I had thought about what kind of tournaments to run -- singles, or doubles, or whatever -- I knew that I wanted to involve PBR. I had even talked to Gaming about possible usage of their Wiis, and if they had a copy of the game. I, too, ran into the issue that if we did it on the Wii only, it'd take a while. I don't think there's a way to get around not having the us our DSs, and I think it'd be fun to rotate the use of the Wiis -- you know, work the battles on both the DS and the Wii. then again, I do not have experience with PBR, so I don't know what it'll take to do something like that.

As for the tournaments, I figure that 2 is enough. Probably a combination of Singles, Doubles, Mixed/Teams. I would really like to see some team battles, and mixed has a lot of possibilities. I have been thinking that the limit on team size should be 4 (to potentially save time, but also as a challenge), and of course, no legendaries and hacks.

As far as I know, I only have 1 prize so far -- a Zapdos palparked from one of my GBadvance games.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 04:32:28 pm »
I have a shiny Smoochum I'd be willing to part with. I can't rename her, though, since I got her from someone else.

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 02:40:55 pm »
Usually Singles have 3 pokemon teams. And doubles play with 4. Thats how alot of pokemon tournaments play but ya know, its your way do whatever.

I've got a couple pokemon from the japan events, if you wanna throw up on the prize board.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 03:28:50 am »
Crudmuffins. Now I can't go to the tournament, since it's up against one of my panels.

But I'll be at the trade event/gettogether! I'm breeding Squirtles and Torchics (the Torchics know Rock Slide), and I can get Piplups with Brine.

The Squirtles and Torchics will all be pre-named though, and un-renamable since I'm porting them over from the GBA games. But I've found great names for them ("Xerxes", for instance...and who doesn't want a Torchic named "Leonidas"?)

Offline Wobbifacorn

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:53 pm »
there still is no rules for this. I have no idea how to prepare for it.

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:29 pm »
There's a thread with the rules for the tournaments. Mine should be there too.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »
Crudmuffins. Now I can't go to the tournament, since it's up against one of my panels.

But I'll be at the trade event/gettogether! I'm breeding Squirtles and Torchics (the Torchics know Rock Slide), and I can get Piplups with Brine.

The Squirtles and Torchics will all be pre-named though, and un-renamable since I'm porting them over from the GBA games. But I've found great names for them ("Xerxes", for instance...and who doesn't want a Torchic named "Leonidas"?)
Minion of Xerxes:why do you allow her to keep you in a ball like a slave? This is madness!
Torchic Leo: madness...?! THIS IS POKEMON!!! *unleashes rock slide and crushes Minion*

On to my question. Will there be a TCG Tournament also? If so, can it be unrestricted or what card set limit will it be?because I don't think I have high enough Pokemon to play from D/P, and I haven't gotten the ability to transfer my FR/LG and R/S/E yet. Hope everyone knew what I was saying. 8)
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 12:09:17 am »
I know that there's a time slot for one on Monday, but I'm not the one running it, so I have no idea how that works. For the DP tourney, we're using Pokemon Battle Revolution, which I've been told will auto level pokemon. Should work, nya?

Offline [R]VisitorOfEmptySpace

• Cabbit
    • http://www.ninjasinaxetion.com
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:46 pm »
This is Rocket's Visitor. The Rocket Boss. Blackjack is surely familiar with me. I run (or my henchmen run) virtually every Pokemon DS/Wii tournament in the state at all of the official TCG events. For this event, I won't be in control, but can offer my services and vast knowledge. My suggested rule set is as follows as it is the standard:

3 pokemon
1 legendary
no same pokemon / hold items
no leftovers for wobbuffet
no soul dew PERIOD
no hacks (duh, but I get kids all the time who say they use hacks because the rules don't mention you shouldn't)
No arceus/shaymin

after each round, the winning teams are checked for legitimate stats/moves/other stuff (considering there's only one type of legal darkrai in the US, it's easy to see where someone got him, for example)

I can also provide some prize support. This is my suggested rule set, doesn't require use. I'm also extremely well versed in the use of PBR.

Now... When exactly is this tournament and when is the TCG tournament? Does anyone know?

I'll be easy to locate, i'll be cosplaying as a Team Rocket Grunt, and anyone with a pokemon DS game will be running from me.

~Visitor~