Author Topic: Kumoricon '08 Gaming Tournament Rules / Scheduling  (Read 7986 times)

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
Kumoricon '08 Gaming Tournament Rules / Scheduling
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:14:08 pm »
Okay, I'm doing this on the spot at Kcon meeting, so its all last minute.  Please dont worry about posting yet as its incomplete, discuss it in the discussions spot.

We will have paper with names to signup on available at the start of the con.  Be there 20 minutes before the tournament starts, as I will need to DQ anyone who is not there ASAP.  We will be starting tournaments on time!!!
Thanks to Zigmover21 and PAX who I rip all my rules from a week before the con.

Schedule :

Saturday
11:00 AM Soul Calibur 4
03:00 PM Super Smash Bros Brawl
08:00 PM In The Groove 2 Final

Sunday
09:00 AM Tetris Attack / Tetris DS 
12:00 PM Guilty Gear XX : Accent Core
12:00 PM Pokemon
04:00 PM Mario Kart Wii
08:00 PM Rock Band 4v4

Monday
12:00 PM Guitar Hero 3

Late Night Tournaments :
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match
Anything else TBD

Post up in the discussion threads, people!  Or talk to me in person.  I hope to have a whiteboard or projector in gaming to disclose all this interesting info to you.
Rules below.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:29:24 pm by HellSap »
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
Re: Kumoricon '08 Gaming Tournament Rules / Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination
Stocks: 3
Time Limit: 5 minutes
Damage Ratio: 1.0
Stage Selection: Random
Pause: Off
Items: Off
Stages : Pretty much whatever is the tourney legal of smashboards.

Soul Calibur 4
Standard Versus
Battle Count (Rounds): 3
Battle Time: 60 seconds
HP Gauge: default
Soul Gauge: default
Random Stage Select ONLY

Guilty Gear XX : Accent Core
Double Elimination
No EX, Gold, Black
2/3 Rounds
Winner Keeps their character while loser has the chance to choose again.
Notify that you need to change your keys before the match begins, start the match, change them then go back to character select.

Mario Kart Wii
150cc (assuming its unlocked, lol)
Groups of 4 Race, 2 Qualify to move on.  May be limited to 1 depending on how many players join.
Every round plays the next successive cup.  (unless its not unlocked, lol)

Rock Band 4v4
Special Judges will determine style points while taking into account Percentages.

Guitar Hero 3
Pro Face-Off
First Match : Medium / Above
Afterwards Hard / Above until Semi-finals which is on Expert

In The Groove 2 Final
Song Selection / Rules / Judging by DancingTofu - will edit soon

Tetris Attack
Playable on SNES or if both players agree as Planet Puzzle League on the DS
Standard VS
Normal / Hard Difficulty  (or 5:9)

Tetris DS
Standard VS
4 Players at a time, 2 move on

Pokemon
*No Ubers
*Species Clause - Only one of each species per team
*Sleep Clause - can only force 1 of your opponents pokemon to sleep
*evasion clause - can't raise evasion
*OHKO clause - no one-hit-KO moves
*Item Clause - only one of each item
Ubers are the follow, as listed on Serebii.net: Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-oh, Lugia, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus, Manaphy, Wobbuffet.
Teams will be limited to 3 per, except for the final, which will be 6v6
PBR will auto level pokemon to 100.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:16:36 am by HellSap »
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:08:17 am »
So, I mentioned it before, I'll mention it again.  The mix for DDR is final; ITG2 emulated and hacked with 726 songs instead of the 222 it should have; over 700 official songs and over 2500 official charts.  I'll have a scrolling video of the full song list available soon.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:42:13 pm »
Rahh, updated... yesterday.  We need this stickied.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:01:23 pm »
Rahh, updated... yesterday.  We need this stickied.

done!  ;)
Thank tofu.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:14:25 am »
I have everything unlocked fo Mario Kart Wii. I'll bring in a memory card.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:54:47 am »
Hellsap, I have rules for Guitar Hero 3 posted (have had them posted for months) that are absolutely nothing like the ones you have posted.  We'll need to work that out on Saturday.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »
so ready for the pokemon turmenent

China bound!!!

Offline freykin

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:55:05 am »
I had a question about the tournament listing on the main site.  It mentions there being a Defense of the Ancients tournament, yet I don't see it mentioned here.  Is it still happening?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:49 am »
I'd also ban Arceus from the Pokemon tournament, not because of any stat issue but because it has yet to be officially released and so thereby any Arceus that show up would have been hacked.

I'd be wary of Shaymin as well, since they've been released but not outside Japan.

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:41 am »
No more LAN, sorry!

I believe there will probably be precautions about special pokemon like that....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:48:16 am by HellSap »

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
I'd also ban Arceus from the Pokemon tournament, not because of any stat issue but because it has yet to be officially released and so thereby any Arceus that show up would have been hacked.

I'd be wary of Shaymin as well, since they've been released but not outside Japan.

Arceus was already listed. As for Shaymin.... My list came from Serebii.net, so it may not be up-to-date.

Upon further research, I've found Shaymin to be on a few lists... Can you modify the list, Mark?

Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai Shaymin and Arceus

Simply said, not enough is known about the DP game to accurately make calls on these, but based on knowledge about things learnt in previous battling quarters, these have been provisionally excluded.
Dialga has a superb type combination, good movepool and a 680 base stat total, which is almost certain exclusion in itself. Palkia has only one weakness, a 680 base stat total and just as useful a movepool. Giratina has a very unusual typing, the same 680 BST and a healthy mix of good moves.
Manaphy is still being debated, but with Hydration and Rain Dance it can fully recover all status, INCLUDING sleep from Rest. More investigation may be required, but if Smogon consider it Uber, so do we.
Darkrai is the unkown, it is pure dark, but damn fast and has an 80% accurate sleep move, and a trait that will eat you HP when you are asleep. It is more the sleep abuse that is the concerning area here I believe. Arceus. Highest base stat total in the game, of 720, and can be any type basically, with a movepool to reflect that. Many jokingly said, when it was announced, that it should be in a tier of its own.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:37:21 pm by eiji »

Offline Baldafor

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 09:55:28 pm »
Item clause for the Pokemon tournament >:( .  Other than that, the rules look excellent.  I am more used to 6v6 battles, but it should be simple enough to trim my team down to 3.  Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:55:48 pm by Baldafor »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »
None of that progressive difficulty crap on Guitar Hero; if people are entering the tournament seriously they don't want to waste time with Medium.  Expert tourney is Expert all the way, Hard is Hard all the way.  Tournaments are competition.

Each player picks one song each round, until semifinals, where each player picks 2 songs per round.  Average percentage is taken.  If equal, the combined max combo of both/all songs determines the winner of the round.  Score will not determine winner because guitar hero's scoring system is broken. (this is true for most music games)

Final match, each player picks 2 songs and the tournament supervisor picks the fifth.

Those are my rules, so they're what I'm using if I'm running the tournament. :P

Offline shade

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 03:08:16 pm »
A couple of questions:

Tournament signup is at the con. Does that mean signup is only Saturday at the start of the con? I have a friend who wants to come play in the Mario Kart Wii tourney, but won't be at the con on Satuday.

If signups are only on Saturday, is it possible for me to register both him and I for the tourney?

And finally, are we going to be able to use gamecube controllers in the tournament (even if it means bringing our own)?

Can't transfer Mario Kart Wii savedata unfortunately. Nintendo made it so any game that has online play cannot be transferred via SD card.
[Insert witty signature here]

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »

Can't transfer Mario Kart Wii savedata unfortunately. Nintendo made it so any game that has online play cannot be transferred via SD card.
[/quote]
Yeah, I figured that out, too. I'll be loaning my console for Mario Kart use and for the tournament. I'll be assuming that wires, sensor, controllers, and other cables will be provided. I'm gonna be packed. I'm bringing one standard GC controller. I've had trouble with using other controllers besides my own. It's like going to an arcade to play DDR rather than at home on your familiar pads.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:49 pm »
A couple of questions:

Tournament signup is at the con. Does that mean signup is only Saturday at the start of the con? I have a friend who wants to come play in the Mario Kart Wii tourney, but won't be at the con on Satuday.

If signups are only on Saturday, is it possible for me to register both him and I for the tourney?

And finally, are we going to be able to use gamecube controllers in the tournament (even if it means bringing our own)?

Tournament sign up is during the con, but not only during opening hours. I believe how it worked last year is you can sign up until a certain time before the tourney....I don't know about previous years. But that is what makes sense to me.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline DarkKnightUltima

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 02:40:34 pm »
Question. For the pokemon tournament. Does it count for two if one is sub a type? Like water/flying and I have another flying type?
PSN: MiyamotoKaizen
Steam: DarkUltima (Miyamoto Kaizen should be what you see)
Costume Progress:
Zengar Zombolt (SRWOG) - 100%

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »
Question. For the pokemon tournament. Does it count for two if one is sub a type? Like water/flying and I have another flying type?
Not one of each type, just no two of the same pokemon. Ex.1: 2 Pikachu on the same team is not allowed. Ex. 2: 1 Pikachu and 1 Raichu are are allowed.

So the PBR auto levels your pokemon to 100? Is that permanent or just for the match? Also when they do level up, will you get to choose whether the pokemon evolves and gains moves etc.?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 03:43:18 pm »
PBR will up the pokemon to level 100 for the fight, progressing their stats based on their current EV's and IV's. They will not evolve or learn new moves.

Offline DarkKnightUltima

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »
Not one of each type, just no two of the same pokemon. Ex.1: 2 Pikachu on the same team is not allowed. Ex. 2: 1 Pikachu and 1 Raichu are are allowed.

So the PBR auto levels your pokemon to 100? Is that permanent or just for the match? Also when they do level up, will you get to choose whether the pokemon evolves and gains moves etc.?

Gotcha, thanks.
PSN: MiyamotoKaizen
Steam: DarkUltima (Miyamoto Kaizen should be what you see)
Costume Progress:
Zengar Zombolt (SRWOG) - 100%