Author Topic: SSBM tournament 08'  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Zinchack

• Cabbit
SSBM tournament 08'
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:48:15 pm »
So basically, I'll briefly touch on why I said melee and not brawl. Theres a lot of people that feel Melee is a game that takes more overall skill. with that said, I would like to suggest a tournament for melee, it doesn't have to be official there was a 20 person tournament at 06 Kumoricon run on the side and that went really well.

Anyway, that tournament was run like this.

1v1
4 stock
8 min timer(So people dont constantly stall the whole time)
Stage must be agreed upon or is picked by random selector.
Concerning items - if one player wants them off their off. if they dont care, the items can be on.

I think it would be fun to run a SSBM tournament in this style. And if you would participate raise your hand! *Raises hand*

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: SSBM tournament 08'
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:18:09 pm »
The only SSB game I've played in the last 2 years was Brawl, but I could probably go for this if I happen to pick it up and learn how to play it.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike series games where the new games aren't just direct port expansions of their precursors.  Certainly, original content is fabulous, but this is also the reason why I have to use StepMania for the DDR, because it would just be lame to have only 80 songs available to play, switching disks frequently is a PAIN IN THE ASS, and for a tournament, everything has to be identical, including theme, timing, and scoring system.  Sorry to rant here.  I can certainly see the reason in having a quite serious SSBM tournament by that argument as well as SSBB. (I'll similarly argue that a SC3 tournament would be better than SC4, based on the crap I've seen Capcom putting out with SC4.)
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »
It can definitely be a side event.

And Soul Calibur is by Namco, dude...
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:35:05 am »
It can definitely be a side event.

And Soul Calibur is by Namco, dude...

Are you serious?  I could swear it was Capcom :/

Okay, fine, it's Namco; I checked.  The C in Calibur always throws me off. (I've made that mistake before too)

Offline Zinchack

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:45:32 pm »
I actually didnt think about it when he said capcom.. It just reminds me how alike the companies are... sort of.. not really. but still yea.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:59:13 pm »
Actually, I get the two mixed up a lot.  They should merge and become NAMCOM.

Offline Zinchack

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »
If it was namcom, I wonder kind of game megaman would be today >.>

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:39:27 pm »
Namco X Capcom, guys.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/image/926007.html

Too bad the game sucked.  lol
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »
Will Melee be the oly Smash Bros. game at Kumoricon? And if it is how set in stone is that? Maybe if it's not to late we could do a poll of all the people considering participation, to see what is preferred over Melee and Brawl.

I couldn't see myself going back to Melee anytime soon... I love Ike too much  :'(

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:25 am »
Will Melee be the oly Smash Bros. game at Kumoricon? And if it is how set in stone is that? Maybe if it's not to late we could do a poll of all the people considering participation, to see what is preferred over Melee and Brawl.

I couldn't see myself going back to Melee anytime soon... I love Ike too much  :'(

No it is not the only SSB game at the con. And the Brawl version is the tourney as posted by hellsap in the original topic http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=6215.0 This thread was started to suggest a switch from brawl to melee for tourney. But as it stands as far as I know SSBB is still going to be the official tourney. Both games will be available for free play as well regardless.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

oslapedo

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »
Thank you for the knowledge :) I tend to like Brawl a lot more than Melee because it does a lot better job of fleshing out the clones, and making them feel unique than its predecessor. But, to-mah-to to-may-to  ;)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »
Namco X Capcom, guys.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/image/926007.html

Too bad the game sucked.  lol
It's what happens when you try to combine characters from multiple companies' multiple games and it's not Super Smash Brothers.

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:47:27 pm »
Just submitting my vote, folks.  I realize Brawl will be more popular this year and apparently the official Tourney, but I would still love to see a SSBM Tourney as well, even if a lesser, or unofficial one.  If nothing else maybe a group could just get together in an informal Tourney.  Eh?   ;)
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 02:41:07 pm »
I prefer Brawl over Melee.
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 10:55:27 am »
Just submitting my vote, folks.  I realize Brawl will be more popular this year and apparently the official Tourney, but I would still love to see a SSBM Tourney as well, even if a lesser, or unofficial one.  If nothing else maybe a group could just get together in an informal Tourney.  Eh?   ;)
How about this?
The same match rules apply to all games, but what about running all three, Smash Bros. for N64, Melee for GC, and Brawl for the Wii? and the winner of each platform tournament faces off on all three platforms for the final contest? Because classic SSB has its simple power, Melee is the next biggest thing. And the noob's revenge lies in Brawl, with the Smash Ball to clean everyone out. Though I love to use it and it's coolness rules, it still feels a bit cheap. Unless of course you took the Smash Ball item off the field, then it's almost just like Melee.

But yeah, consider running all three games. I have SSB and a 64 with 4 controllers. Bringing your own is also suggested.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi