Author Topic: I heart pong! (yes, this is a news story!)  (Read 3437 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
I heart pong! (yes, this is a news story!)
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:29 am »
A few little truths about me:
(a) we stayed up all night playing Pong at one of my earliest childhood slumber parties.
(b) i probably still have the unit somewhere in my dad's garage.
(c) i definitely still have my atari...though not sure where the games are (maybe would have to check with abusive ex).
(d) i'm friends with someone whose dad was one of the codesigners of pong.

so yeah, i heart pong.

from yahoo gaming archive:

Leonardo DiCaprio set to star in 'Atari'
First Howard Hughes, then...Nolan Bushnell?

By Ben Silverman
ADVERTISEMENT

The video game industry is about to get an extreme makeover.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, one-time teen heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio has been cast to play video game founding father Nolan Bushnell in the upcoming biopic "Atari." Paramount Pictures bought the rights to the film's script, which was penned by relative newcomers Brian Hecker and Craig Sherman. The movie will chronicle the life and times of the entrepreneurial gaming icon and is described as being similar in theme to one-man-against- the-world films like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Tucker."
Bushnell is best known as the tech visionary who brought gaming to the masses by co-founding Atari back in 1972 and conspiring with famed designer Al Alcorn to craft the landmark video game, Pong. Atari would come to rule gaming's early days only to suffer a monumental collapse in the mid-80s, though Bushnell would find continued success in other tech ventures, including the popular Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theater franchise.
How does the game god feel about being played by the impeccably suave DiCaprio? Just fine, thanks. In a brief interview with MTV, he acknowledged being "very, very thrilled and honored" that the "Titanic" star would slum it as a 70's techie. And you thought gaming was for geeks!
No word yet on a release date, but we're keeping our joysticks crossed that the project will get green-lit soon.
More Stories
Previous: Why Apple Could Kill The Nintendo DS
Next: Metal Gear IV: biggest PS3 game yet?

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: I heart pong! (yes, this is a news story!)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:14:19 am »
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm sure this will net retro gaming a whole slew of new teen heartthrob-following fans. Are we on the verge of Atari's rebirth? Possibly, lol.

More seriously, though, this sounds like it could be a fascinating movie. Again, glad to see retro gaming and classic games have not fallen by the wayside yet.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!