Author Topic: How do I be older fan?  (Read 61552 times)

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
Re: How do I be older fan?
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2008, 11:52:29 pm »
My daughter was tested this past year in school and found to be the fastest reader in her class(she was in 3rd grade). Both her and I think watching alot of subbed anime helped her with that. I personally found my self a few years ago pausing or rewinding to catch something I missed, but now when I watch subbed anime I dont need to any more. I dont miss anything by watching subbed anime, I have learned to see the phrase as a whole and not read it word for word. It took me a long time to learn to do that but makes it so easy to enjoy subbed anime better and not keep pausing or rewinding.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2008, 01:58:25 am »
My daughter was tested this past year in school and found to be the fastest reader in her class(she was in 3rd grade). Both her and I think watching alot of subbed anime helped her with that. I personally found my self a few years ago pausing or rewinding to catch something I missed, but now when I watch subbed anime I dont need to any more. I dont miss anything by watching subbed anime, I have learned to see the phrase as a whole and not read it word for word. It took me a long time to learn to do that but makes it so easy to enjoy subbed anime better and not keep pausing or rewinding.

I came to the same conclusion...also, it means people who are better at reading/vocab/etc are more likely to watch subbed anime than dubbed cos people who aren't good at reading usually don't want to read subtitles. I'm not stating as a fact; it's more of an observation.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2008, 11:29:48 pm »
But what about dubs that are closed captioned? That's how I usually watch stuff and I'm the fastest reader I know.

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2008, 11:38:04 pm »
Hmmm...that's a pretty good idea actually.  Maybe I should start doing that.
Looking for artists!
Eastern, Western...any style!  Contact me if you're interested in working with me on a comic series.  Even if you're only a little interested, audition anyway.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2008, 06:45:29 pm »
I quit watching cartoons in the seventies. Now I watch ANIME.

...you DO realize that they're exactly the same thing, don't you? Because that statement smacks of elitism and is part of the reason non-Japanese animation has such a "kiddie" reputation no matter how many mature shows get released.
Whoa, now! Being the same thing is personal taste and relative, not scientific fact! With that in mind, let's put it to a vote.
Personally, I think "cartoons" have the kiddie reputation, and 90% of the population can tell a the difference between a mature show's animation style, and "cartoons" such as Garfield or something.
SO....Anime and cartoons are NOT the same thing!
Cartoons, by definition, are simplified illustrations.  In old art, this meant reference drawings.  In more modern art, this includes most non-CGI animation, including Manga and Anime Manga.  The only difference is cultural.  Cartoon comes from old European languages, both Latin and Germanic, so it's usually associated only with Western illustrations.  Anime is also a European term adopted and modified by the Japanese when they started animating manga.  The proper term is Anime Manga (アニメ まんが), which, translated, means animated cartoon.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2008, 10:25:19 pm »
OOoooo I am so down for a geezer (21+) meet during the con. Plus we're going to be in down-town (more or less) so we'll have a good selection of places to socialize and debate who makes a better ninja.

As for being old:
- You have more choices in your cars
- You earn more money
- You can buy 4-5 box sets and not really notice.

:D

Also, I came from an age where 4th gen VHS copies were the norm and people knew what Combustible Campus Gaurdress was.
....I wonder if we should borrow a room at the con and play our old dusty VHS tapes of stuff the noobies have never heard of.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:30:33 pm by XFD »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2008, 10:38:04 pm »
I've had my Totoro VHS since 1995 IIRC. :x

I didn't even know what a DVD was until 2003; VHS is so much more durable. (I need a VHS port for my computer lol)
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2008, 10:36:28 am »
OOoooo I am so down for a geezer (21+) meet during the con. Plus we're going to be in down-town (more or less) so we'll have a good selection of places to socialize and debate who makes a better ninja.

As for being old:
- You have more choices in your cars
- You earn more money
- You can buy 4-5 box sets and not really notice.

Also, I came from an age where 4th gen VHS copies were the norm and people knew what Combustible Campus Gaurdress was.
....I wonder if we should borrow a room at the con and play our old dusty VHS tapes of stuff the noobies have never heard of.
box sets?  They can cost over $100 each, I would really notice if I spent $500 on animes.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
I'm almost 22 and have yet to buy a box set because it will set me back big time....I like food  ;)

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:55 am »
Ok, I guess I'm awkward. But I'm also 26.

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »
Hmmm...
"Geezer" isn't bad, but if we're going to give our little group here a name, perhaps something different?
Maybe even something in Japanese?  (though I never really liked over-peppering Japanese in English).
Looking for artists!
Eastern, Western...any style!  Contact me if you're interested in working with me on a comic series.  Even if you're only a little interested, audition anyway.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:48 pm »
Ok, then to be proper it should have something in it relating to booze or the action of drinking; something that indicates exclusivity to the 21+ crowd.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2008, 07:17:11 pm »
but I'm 26 and I don't drink...

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2008, 01:50:11 am »
28 and same.

Maybe it could have "grey" in it somewhere, like how the Grey Panthers do (notice, all I know about them is that they're a seniors organization. If there's some negative connotation in the comparasion I'm unaware).

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
gi-gi (old man) and baba (old woman) are the words for old people.  ... and how can people in their 20s POSSIBLY think they're OLD? Geeee, what does that make those of us over 40??  ???

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »
gi-gi (old man) and baba (old woman) are the words for old people.  ... and how can people in their 20s POSSIBLY think they're OLD? Geeee, what does that make those of us over 40??  ???

Creatures of myth?

Hah, 21+ group: GreyFox

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2008, 01:48:00 am »
What's the over 30 group?

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2008, 01:17:07 pm »
Also GreyFox?

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:10 pm »
I can be silly but since most of my friends are younger than me I have always had to be more mature. Oh I'm only 20 by the by, but I feel old when surrounded by my crazy younger friends... :P ::)
Secrety secrets!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2008, 06:00:12 am »
I can be silly but since most of my friends are younger than me I have always had to be more mature. Oh I'm only 20 by the by, but I feel old when surrounded by my crazy younger friends... :P ::)
Act Chibi and you'll fit in :D

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »
Ok, then to be proper it should have something in it relating to booze or the action of drinking; something that indicates exclusivity to the 21+ crowd.

For this, I've come up with Sake Club, the "adult" alternative to Pocky Club!  I also found a really excellent sake bar on Alberta last week.  That might be a good place for a meetup.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »
I guess I'm one of the younger people here (which is rather annoying in its own ways)
But i find that when i'm hanging out with people my age, they are quite immature! I generally hang with the 17-25(ish) crowd which is a little weird. (i guess i'm just a little to old for my age)
As i get older I am gravitating more towards those of my own age group, which is a relief.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:12:05 pm by NightLotus »

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2008, 12:26:42 am »
Downshifting to get this back on track, lets try thinking of a good place to enjoy ourselves and make a meet out of this. I'd like to suggest a cap of $20 spending per person (e.g. no stanfords or similar place that'll make us bleed. We're going to be hurting from the dealer's room anyway)

Can we get a general feel for what we do and don't like? Also, we've had enough <21 posters who sound like they'd like to hang out so as long as they're not creeped out, let's think about something that won't make them feel left out (they'll be getting plenty of that when the old timers start talking about Roario to Vampire is a crappy love-hina meets Uruseiyatsura knockoff, and in our days.....)

Crap I'm already getting senile. :)

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:36 am »
I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer with over 21 "mature" fans...

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2008, 09:42:48 am »
That is a good idea, I also like the sake club idea

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2008, 04:35:16 pm »
I dont want to read the last 6 pages of cooing and cawing, whats this about a sake club?

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2008, 08:01:54 pm »

For this, I've come up with Sake Club, the "adult" alternative to Pocky Club!  I also found a really excellent sake bar on Alberta last week.  That might be a good place for a meetup.

Here's your answer...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:47 am »
I dont want to read the last 6 pages of cooing and cawing, whats this about a sake club?

Here's your answer...

Oooohhh, pulled from the same PAGE even!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2008, 09:58:19 pm »

1. We feel like a bunch of crusty old geezers, out of place amidst a sea of jailbait.
2. We still, for some dysfunctional reason, enjoy our animu.
3. Because of 1 & 2, we're thinking of having a geezer meet that excludes those who aren't able to buy their own booze.
4. Some 19-20 y/o's are feeling left out, adjusted consideration to some place that would cost a bit more to eat as a filter and allow said 19/20 yearolds join.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:50 pm »

1. We feel like a bunch of crusty old geezers, out of place amidst a sea of jailbait.
2. We still, for some dysfunctional reason, enjoy our animu.
3. Because of 1 & 2, we're thinking of having a geezer meet that excludes those who aren't able to buy their own booze.
4. Some 19-20 y/o's are feeling left out, adjusted consideration to some place that would cost a bit more to eat as a filter and allow said 19/20 yearolds join.
Yea, that about sums it up

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »
(though I never really liked over-peppering Japanese in English).

Bless you for saying so!!
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2008, 09:47:43 pm »
In reviewing the eateries near the Con, we have three near appropriate places: Stanfords, Kojis, and Applebees.

They all will break the $20 rule, but you can get away for $30. Thoughts?

Offline Arumi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:01 pm »
To be honest, I'm one of the younger people that go to conventions(This topic interested me, though. Read through the first page so I'm just putting my opinion in. :3 ) since I'm only 15 still, but I like being around some of the older congoers. As mentioned earlier, I actually also notice a lot of the younger kids that go to con(Around my age, sadly) can act a bit.. overhyped, I guess is what you can say. It annoys even me that some of them act as if they're nine year olds and run around just to be as annoying as possible. I suppose I just like the people a few years older at conventions at least because I can talk to them somewhat maturely about anime and stuff like that, instead of them acting like little kids. ><;; Maybe I'm just too mature for my age sometimes?
MEWcon '10/'11
Silent Hill Nurse
Secret cosplay. ;3

Sakuracon '11
Beast(Kuroshitsuji)
Blind Mag(Repo!)

Kumoricon '11
Beast(Kuroshitsuji)-hopefully!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:12 am »
I'm turning 19 soon, and I like to hang out with both sides.
Though immaturity gets on my nerves just a little. I just wish some people would had their ages, not show sizes, not to sound rude. I'm sorry.

Though I've noticed most teens are getting to be more mature than their ages, I know I was.
DX though people still think I'm in Junior High [sighhhhhhhh]

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2008, 11:23:52 am »

I'm imagining "Sake Grams"...  wander up to someone, hand them a glass of sake, and then glomp them after they've finished drinking...

Only I figure the glomping would probably be a lot more "hands on" than in the pocky club version.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »
I don't think this is necessarily excluding <21 people because they act a certain way, it's more about being around like company where we're otherwise statistically insignificant :)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2008, 06:55:19 pm »
Hey, remember when Rurouni Kenshin AMVs were all the rage?

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2008, 07:52:21 pm »
I don't think this is necessarily excluding <21 people because they act a certain way, it's more about being around like company where we're otherwise statistically insignificant :)

Right...instead of being the creepy older guy in a room some of teenagers, sometimes I want to be in a room full of other creepy old people.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2008, 07:52:54 pm »
I remember when Evangelion AMVs were all the rage, the Rammstein Engel/Asuka video was new, and when Anime on DVD was a pie-in-the-sky idea. Fansubs were VHS copies and IRC chatrooms were people pretending to be various characters and having add relationship pairs.

And Animeyhem.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2008, 05:59:37 am »
Quote from: XFD
I remember when Evangelion AMVs were all the rage,
A few people are still making them, but the show is old enough by now that parodies (and a trailer or two) are the way to go.
Just about no one is making any of those angsty,  OMG-I'm-obsessed-with-Ayanami-Rei dramas anymore. (phew... now if only people can get over Final Fantasy and move on from that...)
Before Rei, Video Girl Ai was the otaku heart-throb,

So, who was 'it' before VG-Ai?
The Macross character Mylene Flare Jenius?
Who was the first - Yuki Mori (aka Nova Forrester) ?

Quote from: XFD
the Rammstein Engel/Asuka video was new,
... and when adding two frames of all-white at every beat was an 'effect...'

How about people making AMVs with two VCRs, and editing by cutting magnetic tape and joining clips with Scotch tape!
(Insert the mandatory: "Kids these days have it easy" here. And get off my lawn!)

And then there was 'You say Yamato' - a fan parody made in in the mid-80s...

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:43 am »
Eh, the scotch tape thing work?  You'd think it'd get jammed in the VCR

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:06 am »
Arr the days of linear-editors :(

I'm an odd sort as I never really got into VGAI. I dug DNA^2 though.

Regardless, anyone have any opinions on the mentioned places to eat?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2008, 04:42:20 pm »
Eh, the scotch tape thing work?  You'd think it'd get jammed in the VCR

Not Scotch tape, as it has gunk that can come off and destroy the heads, but it is safe to use special splicing tape if you are careful. You can also do that to repair a tape by cutting out a segment if it is damaged or wrinkled.

It is harder to splice video than audio tape, as video uses a helical scan instead of linear, so the several seconds before and after the splice will have a mixed picture between the two connected segments (at best--at worst it will just be a rolling picture).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2008, 05:59:18 pm »
Hey, remember when Rurouni Kenshin AMVs were all the rage?

YES. and to me, they're still all the rage. Same with Kenshin cosplays. Oh my gosh. <3 Be still my heart!

If I was a cosplay judge, any group that did a Kenshin skit would pretty much automatically get my vote for being number one.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:51 am »
Alright, let's have a roll-call of old geezers who would like to have a get-together during Kumoricon. Post your forum name + day you'd like to meet.

1. XFD - Any.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2008, 01:08:41 am »
Alright, let's have a roll-call of old geezers who would like to have a get-together during Kumoricon. Post your forum name + day you'd like to meet.

1. XFD - Any.
2. Higuma- Any.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »
3. Kumi-chan (24). Any, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Rumiko Takahashi meetup I'm organizing; we'd probably be later in the evening anyway?

Been watching stuff I assume was probably anime since the mid-90s--a couple of shows on Nickelodeon, one of which involved gnomes--but didn't get into it as Japanese animation until middle school. First series were Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Digimon when it first premiered here. Became seriously obsessed when introduced to Escaflowne, Ranma, and Magic Knight Rayearth via loaner VHS (MKR was definitely a multi-generation fansub); once I was into the community I made a conscious effort to look into older series. Favorites include Urusei Yatsura (anything by Miss Takahashi, older one-shot manga and Mermaid Saga especially), Dragonball, DNA^2, older incarnations of Gundam, Ghibli, Rurouni Kenshin (manga), Cardcaptor Sakura, and Escaflowne. I don't like Evangelion, but I do like Nadia. I'm not opposed to new series, rather enjoy them, but the fans do get to me at times. At least the ones who don't know much about their anime roots, and think that anything shiny, new, and digital trumps classic and hand-drawn. Personally, I prefer the look of cel animation. *shrugs* Small mistakes add to the charm, and the old coloring style is more appealing to me.

Subs and dubs...I do prefer to listen to series in Japanese. I'm a fast reader so subtitles don't detract from my watching experience. I like the exposure to Japanese culture even if I don't totally understand all the jokes (the more you watch the better understanding you have). If I watch something in English first, especially if it's something with a lot of "culture content", I get the feeling that I'm probably missing out on a lot of subtleties that contribute to the feeling of the series. I like to read up on other cultures, in this case partly to get a deeper understanding of the interesting stuff I keep seeing in different series. Some series make more sense to me storywise if I watch the less-localized version, because I get some of the cultural in-jokes or shorthand. The localized version will occasionally confuse me because the changes make the story less clear, especially if its setting is obviously Japanese or Japanese-inspired.

I don't dislike dubs at all. The most recent generation of them is of a pretty high quality. And they're very useful if I'm watching something and I need to work on sewing or cooking at the same time. It's rare I'll be so annoyed by a dub that I can't watch the series in English; even the bad ones, because they can be so obviously inaccurate at times that it's amusing. (I'm probably one of the few people who didn't totally despise the 4Kids "One Piece" dub, for this very reason. The new one's better, of course, especially if you want actual series content.)

And that's long enough, I think. I'm older(ish), I've got a lot to say.
I don't know if this is related, but I have issues with poor spelling and grammar online. Is that a maturity issue?
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2008, 02:04:53 pm »
Kenshin cosplays really aren't all that old. It's like saying TRIGUN costumes are old. It's the kind of costume that, with the anime, never seems to die out. Naruto and Pokemon ones might severely plummet sooner or later to being less than a HUGE group of cosplayers at cons x_x

I'm that strange in between age too, 19. I've seen lots of old anime, and have gotten into ones lesser known, and then they become hits (Ouran Koko Host Club anyone?).

It's kinda weird because some of my anime friends are the <15 range and some are the 16> range. So with some of them I have to be mindful of them because I'm put in "charge" of making sure they don't get hurt, as an older con-goer of the group. And with others, it's just a point of being humorous with them. I can act pretty childish at times, because I like to have random fun, but there's certainly times when I like to talk about something that's not "hype" anime x_x
I remember cosplaying DeathNote at AX07 and getting killed by an L with a Death Note. Strange, but pretty funny.

LOL And as for grammer online, I'm lax when it comes to forum posts and stuff. I like to just say what I have to say as best I can without going all "uber english!" ^^; As a writer, I see lots of grammatical errors in my own writing and in other's, but it's just a forum. The use of 1337 and lots of spelling errors get under my skin very easily >>; Unless the person's from another country, then I don't mind it so much. (I have a friend from south USA who speaks mostly Spanish and hardly speaks English, so his typos and grammar errors are everywhere.)
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »
3. Kumi-chan ........................
.............Urusei Yatsura .....

I want to be your new best friend :D

And yes, it would happen a little later in the evening.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:44:25 pm by XFD »

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2008, 08:11:15 pm »
I want to be your new best friend :D

And yes, it would happen a little later in the evening.

I'm always on the lookout for new friends.  ;D

*scratches head casually* Did I mention I cosplay Lum? Couple different versions, actually, and not for the reasons a lot of girls do. I legitimately like her character. Girls who cosplay her just for the attention factor annoy the heck out of me. Lum's not a skank. Her heart belongs to Darling! And the rest of her too, if he'd just...stop...chasing anything in a skirt or bikini!
My boyfriend does Ataru; we're both quite fans of UY and Ranma 1/2, as you might be able to tell by my avatar. (If you recognize the outfits, you get a cookie. Or the Sake Club equivalant, whatever that might be. ^_~)

Benten's on my list, once I figure out how to do her top without danger of wardrobe malfunction. Space biker chicks rock.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!