Author Topic: 2008 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-Up  (Read 152288 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2008 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-Up
« on: June 08, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »
Rules and sign-up form for this year's Cosplay Chess are available here.

Like last year, we are looking for 32 chess pieces, and 2 chess masters for the event, as well as alternates.  You do not have to know how to play chess if you are chess piece, all moves will be coordinated by the chess masters.

As this is Cosplay Chess, your character cosplay will be the deciding factor in who gets to participate.  This is not a first-come, first-serve sign-up - we will be looking for complete cosplays, with a preference for well-known characters.  This is a separate event from the Cosplay Contest, you will not be judged on the quality of the cosplay, or if you made it yourself - you just need to be a recognizable character.

To sign-up to be a chess piece, you need to do the following:

* Read the rules.
    * Fill out the registration form.
    * Submit the form and photos of your costume to chess@kumoricon.org

You must include photos of you in your cosplay, or of your cosplay itself.  This year, images of your character will not suffice.  Since this is not first-come, first-serve, you have time to wait until your cosplay is complete... there is no penalty for being one of the last ones to register.  You are also allowed to submit more than one cosplay (just submit a separate form for each.)

If you are interested in being a chess master, or want to help out in another way, please let us know by posting here, or via e-mail or PM.

Sign-ups will be open until August 20nd 22nd.  Players will be notified of their team and position the week before con, and will be required to attend a meeting before the event.

If you have any questions, please post here or PM me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:43:49 pm by Jamiche »
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Re: 2008 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-Up
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:40:03 pm »
 I would like to be a chess master but only as a specific character.  At fanime I was cosplaying as young Byakuya from the Manga.

Myself and my friend who goes as Byakuya-taichou were the chess masters. It ended in a tie and was pretty awesome.

Not trying to be difficult, just throwing out an offer for an epic "WTF time paradox' battle if you'd like.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
Cool, dude. I'm gonna be Komui Li this year. 8D Yay for re-using cosplays so I have pics!
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:10:47 pm »
Cool, dude. I'm gonna be Komui Li this year. 8D Yay for re-using cosplays so I have pics!

Damn..I may have to wear my Kanda costume then. Soo many options are  not always good.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:27 pm »
>_< *still needs to finish esther*
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:47:07 pm »

Damn..I may have to wear my Kanda costume then. Soo many options are  not always good.

That'd be awesome. X3 I say go for it.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:36:33 pm »
I'm going as the most recogonizable character! Haruhi Suzumiya!
I'll be a chess peice since I'm not so well at being a chess master.
I just finished my cosplay like 30 minutes ago also! YES! ^_^ So happy!

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
woooo signed up!
www.myspace.com/parasolcosplay         
Kumoricon 08
~LEEROY JENKINS - World of Warcraft
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:50:58 am »
I am signing up but I need a picture. I don't have the wig yet but once I get it I will finish the sign up. I already filled out the form and now I am just waiting on the wig but it's on it's way ^_^

Offline EvilAuthor

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:15:16 pm »
I recently cut my hair, so I don't currently have any of my easily recognizable costumes, so instead I will volunteer myself as a Chess master for the game.
I'm a tad out of practice, but I'm fairly good at the game. If nothing else, I won't be beaten very quickly which will hopefully allow for a more interesting match.
Cannon romance is for lazy fans

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:39:27 pm »
If no one else is found, I can return as a Chess master. My skills are probably worse than they were for the first game, too much Shogi and Majhong and not enough (or any) chess but I could still get the job done.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:19 am »
If no one else is found, I can return as a Chess master. My skills are probably worse than they were for the first game, too much Shogi and Majhong and not enough (or any) chess but I could still get the job done.

aww come on you werent that bad and im sure your skillz havent suffered to much lol.

anyone interested in being a chess master and you dont think you have the skillz just play chess on your compy or find  a local club to get practice
Kumoricon 08
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:59:50 am »

My friend may be cosplaying Mikuru for this event~

I have a Kyon cosplay in the works I'll be wearing for a day, but I find Komui from DGM being more, well...attack-able. But as I haven't signed up yet, he's still a possibility, since I'm thinking it'd be awesome to have Haruhi, Mikuru and Kyon all in the same game (and hopefully on the same team)...

Guh, decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:19:18 am by sk_chan »
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:52:07 am »

aww come on you werent that bad and im sure your skillz havent suffered to much lol.

anyone interested in being a chess master and you dont think you have the skillz just play chess on your compy or find  a local club to get practice

I was worried about that at fanimeco  in the end it only made the battle more epic. We were cosplaying as two version of the same character and it ended in a tie.

The only problem was that the chess pieces were clear and frosted glass. I probably would have won if it weren't for mistaking his knight for mine.

Maral: Chess pieces are not black vs white for strictly Cliche perposes

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:51:34 pm »
I thought the battle were scripted? Shows how much I know. Being complete improve seems better. At sakuracon they seemed to be scripted because when a battle would start they each had special music. Maybe it's different at different cons?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »
I thought the battle were scripted? Shows how much I know. Being complete improve seems better. At sakuracon they seemed to be scripted because when a battle would start they each had special music. Maybe it's different at different cons?

The battles are not scripted.  It allows flexibility in case of no shows (which we had last year).  The list will be posted prior to con, so you can be thinking about what you might do, but you won't know who you are battling until the match.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 07:27:32 pm »
alright thank you for the clarification. Will each piece have a mic or will there even be any dialog? I was at Kumoricon last year but I didn't go to the chess. Sorry for all the questions.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »

The battles are not scripted.  It allows flexibility in case of no shows (which we had last year).  The list will be posted prior to con, so you can be thinking about what you might do, but you won't know who you are battling until the match.

Ah, thats a good point. At Sakuracon there were a few battles that were planned out to be just epic but fell through because of no=shows.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 10:40:27 pm »

Ah, thats a good point. At Sakuracon there were a few battles that were planned out to be just epic but fell through because of no=shows.

Twas awesome picking our own music, though. x3
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 12:30:53 am »
alright thank you for the clarification. Will each piece have a mic or will there even be any dialog? I was at Kumoricon last year but I didn't go to the chess. Sorry for all the questions.

Nope, no mics for the pieces.  If you have battle crys, or any type of dialogs, you just need to be very loud :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 09:27:39 am »
Good to know v.v; I'm not a very loud person but I'll try. That's even if I make it ^_^. Thanks for dealing with my questions.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:12:32 am »

Nope, no mics for the pieces.  If you have battle crys, or any type of dialogs, you just need to be very loud :D

Ehe I hope we have a better balance of sound for KC.
At Sakuracon the music was SO loud that I ended up shriecking for the stage ninja to hear me, and I do not have a very voice. It kind of hurt..and was not Renji-like.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »
I don't exactly know .... well .... anything about how the thing works.
1. Are chess masters like the Kings or something? Or are they watching over the whole board?
2. In the latter case, would they even need to be in cosplay then?
3. With so many offers for chess masters, would it be possible to predetermine (through prior playing or even a chess tournament) who gets matched with whom? I think, like the chess pieces, the chess masters need to be able to put on a good show, all while thinking on their toes and let all the pieces have a shot.
4. How long are the games estimated to take?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later ^^;;;

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:36 pm »
1.I'm not sure about Kumoricon but at sakuracon the masters were the kings. I have found many differences between the two so don't hold me against it.
2.As for if they need to be in cosplay well yeah, it's COSPLAY chess.
3.Usually the chess masters are very well known characters (Naruto and Ichigo) and they tend to be rivals in the anime/game or from rival animes (naruto and bleach).
4.I'm not sure how long it will take because it is improved.

Like I said that is what I saw at sakuracon and it could be different at Kumoricon (I is a noob at conventions after all, this will be my third time to a con).

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 03:44:52 pm »
1. Are chess masters like the Kings or something? Or are they watching over the whole board?
2. In the latter case, would they even need to be in cosplay then?
3. With so many offers for chess masters, would it be possible to predetermine (through prior playing or even a chess tournament) who gets matched with whom? I think, like the chess pieces, the chess masters need to be able to put on a good show, all while thinking on their toes and let all the pieces have a shot.
4. How long are the games estimated to take?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later ^^;;;

1. Like nikkiolie said, at Scon the chess masters were the kings, but that was becuase it was a scripted match. Last Kcon we had actual players with a board.
2. Yes the chess masters need to be in cosplay, last Kcon we had Rufus Shinra, and Lupin 3 as our chess masters.
3. I totally agree.
4. It depends on how intense the game is, I'd say conservatively over an hour for a good game.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 03:48:43 pm »

At Sakuracon they were.

At Kumoricon they were like announcers, very hilarious announcers. They were still in cosplay though. I think I speak for at least the majority when I say YES even the chess masters need to be in cosplay or it would be BORING.

Offline RioArmare

• Oni
    • My dA site
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:44 pm »
I've always wanted to try being a chess master for cosplay chess. Love playing the game, and orchestrating something this epic would be too fun. 8D

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
If ya wanna be a chess master, be ready to entertain the crowd. Thankfully, we had two wonderful chess masters to start off this tradition last year. I can't wait to come back this year ^.^
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 09:06:48 pm »
XD I need to take a cool picture soon
I might do different entries or something since I'm actually undecided...

Offline LadyYunaBraska

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 04:41:27 pm »
 Oh my god is anybody going as Minato Namikaze to Kumoricon?  ???  I haven't heard of anybody doing it. Because I'm almost done with that cosplay, and I'd love to sign up with him after I'm done for Cosplay Chess (not a Master, just a Peice)!   ;D
~Kumoricon '10~

Roxas [Organization XIII] -The Kingdom Hearts series -- 5%
 No one would miss me . . .

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »
hmm if selected as a piece. wonder what i'd be...

leeroy.... for sakuracon i was a pawn

lol i dunno :P whatever works i guess
Kumoricon 08
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 12:33:37 pm »
If, and only if I were to go as The Gate of Truth from Fullmetal Alchemist...I would love to eat an Edward if there is one participating.

I'm probably too late to sign up, though, and get a good spot.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 02:14:19 pm »
Sign-ups are not first-come, first-serve.. it all depends on your costume. And truthfully, I think I have like one sign-up so far (I think people were intimidated by the fact they need to send in pics of their completed cosplay :-\).

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »
woooooo! one sign up lol =P
Kumoricon 08
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

oslapedo

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 07:13:26 pm »
I'd really like to do this; I just need toget off my booty and work on a costume. My friends are making me go as Raito, so for our group DN cosplay, so I could potentially play intense chess as him. I'd also really like to cosplay as Haruhi Suzumiyafor a day, because I am so made of win like that  ;)

...*crickets chirping* Nooo! Curse myself for being such a naively foolish child! Ah well, a truce, between two Haruhiists?  :) I wonder how many other Haruhis there will potentially be... *still intends on going as Haruhi for at least a day* ;)

My bad for getting slightly off-topic...*coughcough* I was wondering, what is the deadline for sending in cosplay pictures and whatnot for this?

Offline Gourry Gabriev kun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 08:56:56 pm »
"Ooh, do want!" XD

"Being a knight pawn would be epic for me.. Must sign up.. When costume gets here." D:
Kumoricon 2009: Gourry Gabriev (all 3 days)

=Rabid Gourrina Fangirl=

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 01:13:00 am »
...*crickets chirping* Nooo! Curse myself for being such a naively foolish child! Ah well, a truce, between two Haruhiists?  :) I wonder how many other Haruhis there will potentially be... *still intends on going as Haruhi for at least a day* ;)

My bad for getting slightly off-topic...*coughcough* I was wondering, what is the deadline for sending in cosplay pictures and whatnot for this?

Oh, well...I know at least 4 that's going XD
I think I might go as Yuki though...She's pretty smart since she's a Organic life contact purpose human interface created by the data intergration thought entity which supervises the galaxy XD
I need a wig though and just wear my glasses...
BUT ANYWAY!
For the photo, if you're sending by snail mail is it okay to send a printed picture or can you send like know that's like offical on a photo paper...
I have like this thing and I might drag my brother out to take a picture of my in my Haruhi cosplay since I haven't gone to wig land yet T_T

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 01:26:53 pm »

I think I might go as Yuki though...She's pretty smart since she's a Organic life contact purpose human interface created by the data intergration thought entity which supervises the galaxy XD
BUT ANYWAY!
For the photo, if you're sending by snail mail is it okay to send a printed picture or can you send like know that's like offical on a photo paper...
I have like this thing and I might drag my brother out to take a picture of my in my Haruhi cosplay since I haven't gone to wig land yet T_T

Hey, you should go as Yuki. My friend will most likely be entering as Mikuru, and as we already have a Haruhi who entered...I'm contemplating on entering Kyon instead of Komui if we can make this work.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:17 pm »
I need to finish my artbook Trinity Blood cosplay! I swear as soon as I do I'll apply!

In the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit, you are UNDER ARREST!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »
 *Sigh* Alright, I AM going as Renji to K-con. This has been decided FOR me and apparently I do not have a choice. >_<

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »
"Eh? That's not right..." D:

"And my Lina wants to be a queen (she wishes XD), or a rook or something... Our dynamic duo would be awesome, but our costumes aren't done yet - the wait is killing mee!" DX

*Flails*

=Rabid Gourrina Fangirl=

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 08:47:39 pm »
Are you having someone make it for you? I love making costumes. I'm getting good in my opinion. I'm not one for improve so I am not sure if I am going to apply or not. I get really nervous in front of large crowds.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
"Yeah, Limebarb is making our costumes, and I'm very excited! We have been wanting to cosplay Lina and Gourry for forever." X3

"I wish I could make cosplay/sow - but I would first need to learn how to use a needle/thread, or a sowing machine." @_@

=Rabid Gourrina Fangirl=

oslapedo

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2008, 06:13:38 pm »

BUT ANYWAY!

Hey, you should go as Yuki. My friend will most likely be entering as Mikuru, and as we already have a Haruhi who entered...I'm contemplating on entering Kyon instead of Komui if we can make this work.
Nagato would be glorious sugarlat! But I feel kind of twitchy that as one potential Haruhi cosplayer exits the fray another eneters  :D

Maybe if everyone's all bent on being Haruhi I could go as Kyonko  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:51:41 am by oslapedo »

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2008, 07:44:27 pm »
Hey... If I had my Trinity Blood nun done and I was allowed to participate, what are the rules on a tiny bit of audience participation? A bud of mine is going to be Father Nightroad, and I want to ask her for handcuffs so she can throw me a slipper or something. (Second manga FTW!) She won't actually be in the Chess tournament.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 07:14:43 pm »
She will have to fill out a form as well. The pieces can have "special attacks" where other cosplayers (or non cosplayers) outside of the game can help you out in an attack. I hope that helps ^_^

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
I'll mave my costume done in a week or so, hopefully. Going out for the stuff tomorrow. I'm gonna be Garnet, Queen-style from the end of the FFIX game. Hopefully with tiger racket. =^-^= I've got the form and stuff, just gotta finish the costume take pics.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »
Wow you don't see too many Garnet's so I can't wait to see it.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 07:34:11 pm »
You don't see many Albel-sama's either. Albel = <3... I was gonna be Haruno Sakura,  then decided "What the hey, let's do a really complicated, time consuming costume!" XDD. I must be masochistic or something, because next year is Weddind Yuna, and the year after... Episode 3 KOS-MOS. ^^

Anyway, what kind of things do people do for special attacks? I was thinking doing a summoning, but no one will dress up as a summon for me. XDD I may just summon my friend, who's gonna be Marluxia, or something. XD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »
I know what you mean about beig a masochist because this costume was not easy. I still don't have most of it done and I am not planing on doing it. The only thing that is going to be different from my avatar is there will be a collar and I have the wrist guard, and a sword. Thats it.

A summon would be good. I think that would work out well. I have wanted to do FFX Shiva for a long time. That also would be a lot of work. I plan on going as Jenova to either Sakuracon this year or to Kumoricon next year. I also want to do Rinoa. So that is my future cosplay and two out of the three are going to be quite hard.