...I'm curious though, how do AMV contests go? Does the audience judge them, or are there judges? Either way it seems likepretty good times
This is how I try
to run it, (technical malfunctions not withstanding, etc) :
- Four or so weeks BEFORE the exent, a bunch of judges meet, review ALL entries, and DQ bad formats like WMVs or DVD-type entries, and then select what they as a group feel will be the MOST ENTERTAINING collection for the alloted time. (90min) The judges also select their Judges' Choice as that time. I may (or may not) select a personal favorite called Honorable Mention, or Coordinator's Choice. I have not yet ever done so. The winners of these advance awards are kept confidential until the other winners become known.
At the Con:
- People are usually let in as soon as 1/2hr BEFORE the contest.
- There will special seating up front for AMV creators, their guests, con GOHs, etc.
- PRE-Show entries (many being contest runner-ups) will be run while people are being seated. This also allows A/V people to calibrate. Last year the amps had a filter that pumped up ALL BASS ALL THE TIME, which is fine for dancing to techno/trance all night but SUX for AMVs. Not complaining about the people; they did their best with what they were STUCK with.
- We then play the Contest Opener AMV (I make this one) then the contest entries in their categories.
- After several categories go by and also at the end of the show, we REVIEW each category with 10-second clips from the entries. The ticket or ballot has categories and numbers, and you (everyone in the audience) circle your favourite in each category.
- After the last category finishes, you can also mark your personal favourite. This entry becomes Audience Best of Show. It's not impossible that the Best of Show has to be the winner in its own category, but that's usually what happens.
- DON'T GO AWAY YET! Right after the contest is an AMV SHOW featuring some of the better runner ups (if any) but also THE BEST AMVs if 2007-2008. I collect these throughout the year, and most of them are (a) damn funny, *if* I can find Comedy, (b) ASTOUNDING techniques & effects, and/or (c) Just plain COOL STUFF to WATCH.
- The Main Show is an MST3K style event; people are welcome to cat-call or make suggestions and I can alter the playlist to the audience's interests (based on what I have available, but I often have a stock of 'oldies but goodies.' as a fallback.)
- Later in the evening there is an Adult show which contains some entries bounced for explicit content (some countries are WAY LESS sensitive than the US is... sigh...) which, after that sort of material is exhausted, transitions to other also-rans, faves, and strange amusements, often continuing past everyone's bedtime....