Author Topic: DS/Wireless handheld hangout?  (Read 21521 times)

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
Re: DS/Wireless handheld hangout?
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »
I already have a whiteboard and easel combo except I dunno if my parents would let me bring it (it was kinda expensive)...

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
I'm actually going to talk to Jaki about there being 2 gaming spaces at this point; with a wireless lounge and all the Bemani stuff I'm looking to bring in, I can see we won't fit in the Pacific Northwest Ballroom comfortably.

We won't have enough staff to man two rooms properly unless you can manage a separate room to handle all by yourself with just your stuff and the wireless hangout but would be unavailable for general checkout usage since we can't have checkouts leaving the main game room. At best you could get a small space for the wireless lounge if lucky.

We hardly had the staff to handle the room last year.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:53 am »
The lounge will ideally be generally unmanned. Basically the idea is that it's just an area where people can chill and play some wireless games with others. I would like it to be laid back and not necessarily a whole room. It could just be in some unused corner in a game room but hopefully it'll be in a quieter area. We could have someone (possibly Kyle or myself if I manage to become staff) monitor Pictochat for content if you guys want. And don't worry, I got the whiteboard taken care of. Tofu, I'll let you know the dimensions when I get it. I like the easel idea....
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 04:59:07 pm »
Thats fine if its seperate and unmanned. It just would not be an official thing more just a fly by night operation especially out of the game room as it would no longer be a part of game room. If your staff we would need you doing other stuff in the game room. No matter what. The pictochat would just have to be a 'at your own risk' or 18 and under content if its reported...

We wouldnt have the staff to monitor that...even if it's *in* the game room. Remember bag check last year? Always under staffed and everyone was exhausted. What could happen is if you wanted to give up breaks you had to monitor it then no one can stop you but we probably wont have teh staff to designate to sitting theer watching people draw....
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2008, 12:09:09 am »
I'm actually going to talk to Jaki about there being 2 gaming spaces at this point; with a wireless lounge and all the Bemani stuff I'm looking to bring in, I can see we won't fit in the Pacific Northwest Ballroom comfortably.

We won't have enough staff to man two rooms properly unless you can manage a separate room to handle all by yourself with just your stuff and the wireless hangout but would be unavailable for general checkout usage since we can't have checkouts leaving the main game room. At best you could get a small space for the wireless lounge if lucky.

We hardly had the staff to handle the room last year.
For the lounge, like kurosakiichigo666 said, it wouldn't really need to be monitored too closely.  Just make sure people aren't pictospamming penises or something.

As for a seperate room for bemani and rhythm games, what it would likely be is 2 to 5 DDR stations (depending on how many pads I can get made this summer and how many computers and TV's I can get), 2 or 3 Guitar Hero stations, 1 or 2 Rock Band stations, 2 open Bemani stations (a US PS2 and a JPS2, probably), and possibly a Pump It Up: Pro cabinet depending on whether or not we can work something out with KeeL.  There would be probably 4-10 games for checkout, which could very easily be handled by a single person.  With one person loosely monitoring the Bemani (me), one to keep an eye on the Harmonix, a back-up within 5 minutes, plus a Yojimbo nearby to make sure people aren't pilfering controllers, such a room could be easily managed.  This would also clear up a lot of space in the regular game room and bring the volume down a lot, so it could actually make it a bit easier for the staff.

My main concern is space; I need about 100 square feet of operation space per DDR/PIU cabinet, 150 for Rockband, and then about 50 per other station.  So, with everything plus a portable lounge, it would have to be around 1400 square feet, so something like 35'x40'.

EDIT: Looking at some maps, the Washinton Meeting Room might work.  It's only about 900 sq ft, but looks unclaimed and near the proposed LAN and Tabletop locations.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:30:55 am by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 12:04:59 pm »
So thats proposing 3 staff with a checkout system and yojimbo. Thats taking away from the main room. I seriously doubt it would be able to happen as we still would need staff in the main room even w/o your equip since the con does still have rockband, guitar hero and DDR set up.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 10:44:09 pm »
Uh, no.  It's 2 staff plus someone in the nearby LAN or Tabletop room who could help out if necessary.
Chances are I could handle the entire room myself if I have friends present now and then.  Any games that would be checked out would be games I'd just be toting around; 3-10 games in a bag really.  They'd be my games or the games of my friends and in no way the responsibility of the convention.  I don't see why you're battling this idea.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 11:29:13 pm »
Because your signed up as game room staff and looking to hold a whole room yourself with possibly another game staff taking away from the staff needed in the main room. And as Jaki already stated in another thread all the loud gaming is supposed to be kept to the one room.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 04:52:55 pm »
Yeah, got the memo. (took me some searching though)

Shouldn't be a problem as planned.

• Chibi
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »
Got the whiteboard, I'll look at the dimensions and Email them to you tomorrow Tofu. Bought 3 markers too......and some candy bars.......

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:50 pm »
Got the whiteboard, I'll look at the dimensions and Email them to you tomorrow Tofu. Bought 3 markers too......and some candy bars.......

Okay totally off topic but....

I can has candi barz plz?

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
It's tomorrow boi where u @?

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 08:31:40 pm »
Awww poo I won't be able to go...I is going to a musical

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

• Chibi
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »
I have to wait till the June meeting since I can't make this one.

Offline kyletothejones

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 10:38:28 am »
I can't make it to the meeting either, got band practice-o and it's necessary as we are in Battle of the Bands at Clackamas next Friday.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 11:33:26 pm »
We're currently discussing having a programming meeting some time.  I'll keep you two posted regarding that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:34:11 pm by DancingTofu »

• Chibi
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »
Sweet. I just need to know at least 2 weeks in advance and I should be good.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 07:07:19 pm »
Okay.

People can Skype into meetings as well, but you should still try to be physically present at one or two of the meetings.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 08:53:12 pm »
Okay.

People can Skype into meetings as well, but you should still try to be physically present at one or two of the meetings.

As has been previously stated in a staff forum programming meetings have been at locations without skype but last GM had skype doing well. Its being worked on/looked into but they are trying to get the next prog meeting skyped.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 11:45:33 pm »
Taiko no Tatsujin = LOVE

If I'm totally bored I would love to play it together with whomever :D

Sig by me~~~