Author Topic: Artist Alley 2008 / Exhibitors Hall 2008  (Read 129850 times)

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
Re: Artist Alley 2008 / Exhibitors Hall 2008
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2008, 08:20:29 am »
Okay, I'm coming to this discussion really late... but put me down as someone who's check has been cashed but has no confirmation. This was back in January, so hopefully I'm all good -_-  I wasn't paranoid until now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:40:01 am by CassieR »

Offline x24

• Oni
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2008, 11:49:24 am »
You can do that? Just email contracts? Can I have one? That would be....... SO awesome. flycabbage@hotmail.com
pleaseohpleaseohplease

Offline lolanime

• Cabbit
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:01 pm »
x24 check your email. I sent you one.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »
And yet, still nothing. I'm sad that Eric isn't the AA coordinator! He always had updates for everyone. Esp. this close the the con.  >:(

I'm sure he would've been glad to do AA, but the con really needed a Treasurer and he was willing to shoulder the burden.

I sure aren't ready for a job like that.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline x24

• Oni
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2008, 07:10:48 pm »
Awww... I didn't get an email.... :'( Could you try again please? Thank you so much.
flycabbage@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:18:02 pm by x24 »

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:44 pm »
If I have the room I might be able to share a table with someone, but I won't know till I can figure out what my boyfriend is doing (since he may or may not be sharing the table with me). 

I hope thing will be sorted out for those who are trying for a table.

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2008, 09:18:17 pm »
I just emailed another one to x24; seeing if that one gets through.

Offline x24

• Oni
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2008, 10:03:29 pm »
<3<3<3<3

Offline lolanime

• Cabbit
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2008, 11:35:22 pm »
I got your message, and just to be safe than sorry ive sent you an email and a pm. hopefully we can catch each other!

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »
augh, seems life is keeping me from going to todays meeting, so if someone could fill everyone in on what happens at the meeting that would be fantastic <3

D: its really killing me that I can't go make it sdfksk

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »
Lol, that's the same boat I'm in. I really wanted to go. hopefully someone was able to make it and represent us. XD Let us all know what happened. <3

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »
This is what was covered in the meeting:

At this point, the Exhibitors/Artist alley is booked or overbooked. More details will be disclosed within the next two weeks.This is decide which it is at this point. This is do to several factors: a change in layout plans just received recently and two, an over distribution of AA contracts (aka someone started passing out contracts without notifying Relations about it.)

Those who paid by check and it was cashed - that is a confirmation that you are in.

Those who are still waiting need to hang in there. They were going through contracts today after the meeting and Lori took a whole stack of forms with her.

John of Relations is working hard to figure out the best plan to move forward in a what that will benefit the most. I tried to take pictures of the exhibiting place and will post them if anyone is interested.

And if anything I mentioned is incorrect, please correct me. I am just reiterating what was mentioned in the meeting.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nikorescafe.com
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:54 pm »
I wish there could be more answers to our questions but this alone is at least SOMETHING to go by, thank you so much Evaldas for giving us an update. And Lori was AT this meeting? That's good to hear! I had figured the AA was booked by now, although I am sad to hear that forms were being passed around without consent of Relations. Seeing that Relations was so involved, makes me feel wary as to how big this whole mess must be. I hope this meeting helped to resolve issues they've been having.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2008, 10:51:06 pm »

At this point, the Exhibitors/Artist alley is booked or overbooked. More details will be disclosed within the next two weeks.This is decide which it is at this point. This is do to several factors: a change in layout plans just received recently and two, an over distribution of AA contracts (aka someone started passing out contracts without notifying Relations about it.)

Those who paid by check and it was cashed - that is a confirmation that you are in.

Those who are still waiting need to hang in there. They were going through contracts today after the meeting and Lori took a whole stack of forms with her.

John of Relations is working hard to figure out the best plan to move forward in a what that will benefit the most. I tried to take pictures of the exhibiting place and will post them if anyone is interested.

And if anything I mentioned is incorrect, please correct me. I am just reiterating what was mentioned in the meeting.
That sounds about right from what I remember hearing.  All I can think of are small details.
The recent layout change happened within the past two weeks or so.
They are trying to come up with something that will benefit the most people for those that have not had confirmation (their check being cashed).  They mentioned a few ideas but no decisions on that.

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2008, 10:53:53 pm »

That sounds about right from what I remember hearing.  All I can think of are small details.
The recent layout change happened within the past two weeks or so.
They are trying to come up with something that will benefit the most people for those that have not had confirmation (their check being cashed).  They mentioned a few ideas but no decisions on that.
Aye, this is all true.  I will help keep everyone up to date as I hear more information, as will others.  Negima, it's nice to see you back from Hawaii by the way.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2008, 11:36:43 pm »
I won't whine too much because I know I'm at fault for forms and not registering early, but it's one thing to know I can't get a table, and another thing entirely to not know because there isn't any communication going around.

Sucks to hear about last-minute changes though.

On the flip side, after the Kumoricon, there is Festival Japan at Uwajimaya.  I'm planning on getting a booth there now.  Perhaps if there's enough interest, we can apply for a double booth or larger booth, and we can all sell there.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2008, 02:51:59 am »
I have started uploading videos to youtube but for some reason, the clip wherein Krall actually explains the situation is not working!
 >:(

Edit: There it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLTU0n73ts
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:50:59 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
I have started uploading videos to youtube but for some reason, the clip wherein Krall actually explains the situation is not working!
 >:(

Edit: There it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLTU0n73ts

Thanks again Tom, for the videos! It makes me feel a whole lot closer to what's going on and being said. Although there were a few things I couldn't understand (aside from Krall, he was loud and clear). But it was so good to hear this actually addressed formally, and hear that it'll be fixed before the convention. I will say for one, I wouldn't mind a 8x10 booth instead of 10x10, so I think the idea of shrinking the size would be pretty beneficial to people.

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way, is mentioning how the AA/EX Coordinator is receiving "Flak"...but not mentioning the reason WHY she was. There was a VERY valid reason for it, and it wasn't because someone was handing out contracts, in fact the flak was long before that seemed to happen. The reason why, had nothing to do with the over-flood of contracts, and if anything, the reason for it caused that flood. Lack of communication seemed to get people paranoid, and unfortunately the person that handed them out may have thought something was wrong, and took it upon themselves to share it with others. And saying "Don't be mad at us, be mad at that person.." is in very bad form, and came off unprofessional. People were mad about something entirely different, sadly. Although I wish they hadn't handed contracts out, since it is pretty clear on the site you need to ask for one in the first place.

I don't feel the number of contracts should have had anything to do with this. There (I thought) was a designated amount of space to begin with. You get a contract, you clear it, it's done, you keep track of how many thus far. How come there wasn't any communication between Relations and AA/EX Coordinator over this? How could an overbooked amount even happen? I'm kind of confused. Were they cashing checks without realizing the space they had to begin with? I just feel like there's more going on here, then we're being told.

And why is it that at the meeting Relations says they are overbooked, and yet Lori took more contracts? That feels absurd. They complain about being overbooked and having too many as it is, and yet have not cleared up the issue before they're taking money and contracts from people at the meeting? I don't get this. If they had counted the people bringing contracts to the meeting, I'd understand, but that's clearly not the case considering someone asked him a question right off the bat about bringing the contract and check to that meeting. If they're seriously overbooked in the first place, I would have NOT taken contracts without first clearing up who had and did not have tables squared away. I understand now about the contracts that were brought to that meeting, thanks for clearing that up guys!

No need to answer my questions, but I will be saving them for when I find the appropriate person to ask.

It is nice to know what's going on, finally.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:56:13 pm by Neolucky »

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2008, 10:37:36 pm »

I will say for one, I wouldn't mind a 8x10 booth instead of 10x10, so I think the idea of shrinking the size would be pretty beneficial to people.

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way, is mentioning how the AA/EX Coordinator is receiving "Flak"...but not mentioning the reason WHY she was.

Eh..Well I wouldn't mind a smaller space but I did pay for a 10x10 space and if I'm getting an 8x10....well I don't know. Just worries me a bit.
Would the table size still be the same? Are people going to get refunds if this happens?

I also agree with Neolucky about the "Flak" comment. She had a job, and she didn't do it very well.

Even is someone did spread the contract around wasn't it her job to turn people down if it was full or not?
She's the one who should have watched the contracts come in to make sure it didn't get over sold.

But I do thank you Tom! It's good to get some feedback about what's going on!
Thank you Thank you! <333

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:19:53 pm by khaosvanity »
.empty movement.

Offline soupisgreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2008, 12:22:48 am »
Well I'm glad to here a cashed cheek is as good as conformation, I'm still a tad anxious about the overbooking.

I also agree with Neolucky the "Flak" comment along with the "Don't be mad at us, be mad at that person..". Do they actually count the number of people in artist alley by the number of contracts sent out. It seems like they should go by the number received and just cut it off once the the tables are all taken. Maybe it doesn't work like that cause the coordinator is so far away but it just really seems backwards to me.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2008, 01:36:27 am »

Eh..Well I wouldn't mind a smaller space but I did pay for a 10x10 space and if I'm getting an 8x10....well I don't know. Just worries me a bit.
Would the table size still be the same? Are people going to get refunds if this happens?

That is a great point. I hadn't thought about it, since I think my head was more in "Compromise just to make sure I get some table space" mode, Heh! But yes, considering what we paid for, I would think if things were sized down, a refund of some sort would be fair. We'll have to see what their decisions are about the revisions and changes.

I hope all these matters will be taken into account and suggestions will be looked at for next year to avoid such things next time around! Looking forward to any other information that's provided before and from the next meeting.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:43 am »
The table itself is the same. The "depth" of the booth will be less. You won't have as much room behind the table.

Yeah, I don't know why the hell
All of the old guard are presenting a united front though and nobody will see the other side of the coin. That is, your side. If too many contracts are sent in then STOP APPROVING CONTRACTS. I thought that the problem was none of you knew whether or not your contracts were approved. Was that somehow wrong???

Anyway, be mad at whoever you want, it's a free country.

"We will absolutely have this taken care of before the convention starts."

::) Riiight.

Now as far as the contract the they took during the meeting itself, that was with NekoPan Bakery. The convention has an outside arrangement with them that guaranteed them a vendor's booth. Trust me on this one, they had been approved last month they just couldn't get the paper work (sound familiar?).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:28:04 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2008, 08:03:16 am »
Also, what Lori took for contracts were already been stamped and needed to be processed. These were not necessarily new ones from that day. But, yeah, I completely agree about the process and how much it epically failed this year.

I just hope that they don't choose to separate Exhibitors from the Artist Alley and put the alley in some hole in the wall.  This is a symbiotic relationship that should not be split. It may just make perturbed artists more so when the people don't come. This was apparently the case one year (before 2006).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:18:12 am by Evaldas »

Offline OtokoNoShufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28:32 am »
Well, I can't say what hasn't already been said, so I'll leave it at that. 

I am glad to know that those of us whose check have cleared have been confirmed a table, but I do worry for those artists who paid cash up front at the end of the last Con, or are still sort of in limbo at this point.  Well, since SJen is confirmed that she's unable to make it to this year's Kumori, and I've gotten a similar confirmation from Starxade who I am sad to hear most likely won't be making it either, I am willing and able to share half of my booth space with another artist.  I think my stuff will fit fine on half the table, which is pretty lengthy in and of itself.  I remember my own first Artist Alley fiasco, which really was my own fault for getting my contract in so late, but it sucked also because I left SJen hanging w/o a table, but I was well informed for the wait list, so I had a bit of a learning experience that year, but I was given a fair chance, and for that I was thankful.  (Thanks Eric! ^_^)  But yeah, I'd hate to see someone go through the sitch that I was in, so we'll see how things pan out and see who still needs a place to set up shop. ^__^ 
Am I on one of those hidden camera shows?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2008, 09:56:52 am »
Seeing what is happening, I'm kind of glad that I was planning on having the balcony of my suite by the pool being the equivalent of the Pocky Club Booth this year.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:05 pm »
The table itself is the same. The "depth" of the booth will be less. You won't have as much room behind the table.

Ahh! Okay! Thank you so much for clearing all this up Tom. You're the best!
You should come by my table for some free art. *nods*  ;)
.empty movement.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2008, 01:58:03 pm »
Aw thanks for all the info. I feel much better knowing a little more about what's going on.

As for the problem, part of it was that no one knew who was approved and who wasn't. We didn't really know anything else either. People have been popping up until recently going 'hey, I've been emailing since February and gotten no response. What's going on?' That's probably why someone decided to send out contracts. Not that it was the right thing to do, but one post from the coordinator probably would have reassured everyone and stopped it from happening.

But anyway, it's great that progress is being made. Everything lately has been good news to me! n.n <3

Edit: The 8x10 booth deal sounds good to me too! If it means they can fit a few more booths in it would be great.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:59:02 pm by GenkiIchigo »

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »
These are what problems I feel were the biggest issue over all:

1.) BIG Lack of communication. That is the MAJOR problem.
2.) No confirmation for those who had paid, whether from recent, to last year.
3.) Inability to contact persons in charge, to GAIN information.
4.) When contacted, it was on an unreliable source. (Deviantart)
5.) When information was given, it was vague and unclear, or incorrect, or unprofessional.
6.) contradiction's when contact is made. Told one thing, then turned around and was told something else. LACK OF CONSISTENCY.
7.) NONE of this information was reflected on the official website. This alone could have helped avoid a LOT of problems.
8.) Instead of "We're working to fix this" it was "It's not my fault! Blame _____" No. Placing blame on the "System", on a "Person", on "Email" or something else does NOT help the situation. This was done constantly by the AA/EX coordinator, and now by Relations.
9.) Coordinator was absent? Not doing what she was meant to be doing? NONE of this would have happened if you had a professional, knowledgeable, competent, experienced and readily available coordinator for Artist Alley ALONE. Hearing that she was taking on AA and EX felt wrong, it was too big for any one person to handle.
10.) Obviously things were not clearly defined to staff (Coordinator, Relations, ect) until it was TOO close to the convention! Again, left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Isn't this a team effort here? Department or not, you gotta have contact WITHIN the ranks.

I could, sadly, go on for a long long time. And I'm sorry if it comes off as ranting, but really these were some serious issues that were brought up to a lot of higher end staff MULTIPLE TIMES and brought to attention REPEATEDLY and were not addressed early on. Maybe they weren't taken seriously, but if those involved would have jumped on it way back in January, February, March...things could have been avoided. I am sad that only NOW it seems efforts are being made to fix things when they were well aware of issues ages ago. We have six weeks left before the convention itself, these issues to be fixed BEFORE then? I echo Tom here. RIIIGHHHHHTTT. Should I be pointing out planning, prep time, finances, travel and logistics come in to play NOT only for the con, but for those attending it. Shoving things to the last minute will only make people bitter and angry, and not want to return.

I will say again, as I've told people many times, I love this convention. I've loved since I first started coming, and the reason why I complain as I do, is BECAUSE I care. Just because I was confirmed for a table, I refused to just let it slide. There are so many great people that want to simply BE there, it's a huge compliment to the convention. I think I feel brushed off as an artist and as an attendee because of this situation. I am of course going to attend, but now with a bitter taste in my mouth because of this.

I'm pissed, other artists are pissed. And we have a valid reason to be.

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2008, 02:42:48 pm »
I agree with you Neolucky, especially as another vendor that sold last year.  But anyway, how do I get on the waiting list?  Emailing exhibitors or programming?  Or is it just first-come first-served at the con itself?

For those who worry that being in a separate room might be bad, it might not be.  I've done very, very well at a con that kept its AA separate from the Exhibitor's Hall.  (Kawaiikon in Hawaii)  The way that was managed though, was that the AA was open longer than the EH.  So once the EH was closed, the AA was flooded.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2008, 03:07:21 pm »
For those who worry that being in a separate room might be bad, it might not be.  I've done very, very well at a con that kept its AA separate from the Exhibitor's Hall.  (Kawaiikon in Hawaii)  The way that was managed though, was that the AA was open longer than the EH.  So once the EH was closed, the AA was flooded.

I've had better sales away from Dealers rooms, then being pushed in with them, I'll admit. Although I like the way Kumoircon's had it set up. I simply just don't want the artists to be shoved in some unfamiliar, hard to find, random place just to "make people happy". They need to stop trying to make everyone happy, and start thinking logically about this. In the BEGINNING of this thread, Lori said there was 20 spaces, right off the bat. (After seeing half of the alley was full from last years contracts). So from that point on that had an estimated number. Also, I believe the dealers close before we do anyways, so it doesn't matter if we're in the same room with them I think, they just shut down shop before we do.

As far as waiting list? Uh...er... Yeah. I'd just come to the convention and *hope*, I don't think you'll get a response from email, since they seem overbooked to begin with.

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2008, 03:46:47 pm »
 Please keep us in the Dealer's room.
Let's not have a repeat of what happened at Sakuracon.  :-\
.empty movement.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2008, 05:19:22 pm »

Whatchya mean D:? cause...I sure as heck made a lot MORE now that Sakuracon's AA is outside of the Dealers room. It felt less cramped this year and we had a lot of traffic + natural light.

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2008, 05:44:17 pm »

Whatchya mean D:? cause...I sure as heck made a lot MORE now that Sakuracon's AA is outside of the Dealers room. It felt less cramped this year and we had a lot of traffic + natural light.

When they put everyone in the little room?
I heard it hurt a lot of artist's because nobody knew were AA was. I believe it was 2007 not this year.
.empty movement.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2008, 05:59:13 pm »

I heard it hurt a lot of artist's because nobody knew were AA was. I believe it was 2007 not this year.

OH that! Yes THAT was pretty darn bad. The year before that was when all the artists were shoved against the walls of the Dealers Hall, and that was even worse. From Dealers hall to small room to big open space. Heh hopefully Sakuracons AA can REMAIN in that spot though.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »

OH that! Yes THAT was pretty darn bad. The year before that was when all the artists were shoved against the walls of the Dealers Hall, and that was even worse. From Dealers hall to small room to big open space. Heh hopefully Sakuracons AA can REMAIN in that spot though.
2007 at Sakuracon was the time AA was in the big open room in an out-of-the-way area, right?  I don't think I found the AA room until the last day.
Over at KawaiiKon (the one in Hawaii) they had the artist alley and the dealer's room separate.  And I have to tell you, I have never hung out in the artist alley section that long before.  The space was nice and there were some activities and contests going on to get people in.  Also, the Dealer's Room closed an hour or two earlier than AA so when DR closed, people seemed to come over to AA.
Just thought I should share that experience.  (I didn't have a booth there, I hung out with friends)

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2008, 03:12:20 pm »
Negima - Yeah, that was the place. A large portion of the attendees did NOT find the AA until the last day, if at all. And for some reason when I asked staff to put up some sort of sign leading people there, I was pretty much ignored and said it was a hassle. Huh.

I'd like to state that I just bought a table and attendance to a new convention coming up called Aki-Con, and it took...maybe... 48 hours to get finished? Their process for Art Tables is amazing. You email, get the contract, send the contract through email for verification, they approve, then send you the link to pay them online for it, then and ONLY then do you send your contract in the mail. I think in the future, cons should ADOPT this method!

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2008, 02:38:30 am »
So, are we all waiting to see if there really is a problem with "overbooking" or what?  I also sent in a money order, and want to know if I'm confirmed to have a table.  It's frustrating, because I have a group going and they aren't registering till they know that I have a table, and I want to know if I need to get to work on the things I'm bringing to artist alley.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:08 am »
As far as I know, no one's heard anything about it yet. Hopefully we'll get an announcement or something soon....

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:02 am »
Well, I know the next meeting is this Saturday, is if you want to ask any additional questions, I think that would be a good opportunity. Unfortunately, I will be out of town earning money this weekend, so I won't be able to give you any quick information, but Tomthefanboy is good about sharing information.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:23 pm »
Well, I know the next meeting is this Saturday, is if you want to ask any additional questions, I think that would be a good opportunity. Unfortunately, I will be out of town earning money this weekend, so I won't be able to give you any quick information, but Tomthefanboy is good about sharing information.

d :D b
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2008, 02:55:43 am »

Actually, the meeting is Sunday, August 3!
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2008, 08:13:49 am »
Oops, thanks. :P The next meeting is on SUNDAY. So all you artists who have questions or haven't checked out where the exhibitor's hall is, should come if you can.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2008, 02:13:16 pm »
I know how this could all be solved.
I keep telling them that the parking garage at the doubletree has a basement level that would work just as well as last year's but nobody listens to me!  :P
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:49 pm »
I know how this could all be solved.
I keep telling them that the parking garage at the doubletree has a basement level that would work just as well as last year's but nobody listens to me!  :P

I don't know if I'd wanna be in a garage again, it was so ridiculously hot in there, it was uncomfortable to draw in there sometimes.  Though I may not complain if that means I can still have my table.

I heard somewhere that the coordinator has overbooked by 12 tables, is this true, and if so, will I be getting a full refund if I do not have a table?  In the contract it states that cancelled tables get a full refund (minus $20, I'm assuming for a fee) but this wasn't my fault, so I would really like a refund in full if this is true.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2008, 10:46:14 pm »
XD If the garage will be comfortable I think it's a good idea. Last year the dealers room was a little scary and claustrophobic because it was in the parking garage (to me anyway). If it's not going to be too hot or too dark it would probably be great though!

Ouch, 12 tables over is a lot. I hope it's not really that many. I think the contract probably only means that if you cancel you need to pay the fee. I don't see why you would be charged for something that wasn't your fault.

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2008, 08:36:32 am »
Well this is interesting, people who still have sent money and contracts in have not received confirmation? I received my official e-mail confirmation from Lori stating that I had my table and I was confirmed for the AA and the convention. I'm still perplexed that she has either not responded to other requests at all or... I don't know what else could explain a lack of communication other than a lack of commitment to the customers  :-\

I hope everything works out for everyone, I'm really disappointed AA this year totally got botched.  :-[
It's hard being pinq.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:46 am »

I don't know if I'd wanna be in a garage again, it was so ridiculously hot in there, it was uncomfortable to draw in there sometimes.  Though I may not complain if that means I can still have my table.

I heard somewhere that the coordinator has overbooked by 12 tables, is this true, and if so, will I be getting a full refund if I do not have a table?  In the contract it states that cancelled tables get a full refund (minus $20, I'm assuming for a fee) but this wasn't my fault, so I would really like a refund in full if this is true.

I'm curious, where'd you hear that?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:25 pm »
Note to all, the garage comment was just a joke. Sorry.

The garage at the Hilton was hot and humid because of a failure to ventilate properly every night, it could have been a lot better. It was clean and reasonably lit in most sections.

The Doubletree garage however is exactly what one would expect from an old parking garage basement. Dark Dirty and stinking of exhaust. It is connected to the basement loading docks of the hotel and there is a near constant background rumble of trucks, deliveries, and machinery down there as the employees go through the business of the hotel. It is not a good location.

I make the joke about putting vendors (or gaming, or creation station) down there as a play on the fact that these are groups that typical get (or think they get) a raw deal and a bad reputation. Anyone who has every been down there would immediately know that the convention would NEVER do something so horrible. I'm sure that if the extra artists were put down there at least a couple of you would get sick from the fumes and the several more would probably leave the con early and never come back. Or at least demand refunds.

After the mention of a refund clause in the contract I can see why they were so quick to blame their mistake on the contract being "leaked". It's well known among the meeting-goers that there is a broad "NO REFUNDS" policy for everything else in Kumoricon. If there exists even a single contradiction of this policy every other instance where the convention is paid money is at risk.
Good to know. It's things like this that keep me watching every corner of the forums.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2008, 03:56:46 pm »
Lol, that garage sounds scary! I'm glad we won't be down there. I wish I could get up there to the darn meetings to see the spaces ahead of time. Once again, Tom you're the awesome sauce for keeping us all informed! XD

PinqFuu: I think you just got lucky in getting email confirmation. I for one, haven't heard anything from the exhibitors address even though I've emailed it with questions about table status. >.<;

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2008, 04:36:05 pm »

I'm curious, where'd you hear that?

Someone on DA (an artist who was trying to get a table), she's friends with a staff member who attended the last July meeting.  I'm still considering it a "rumor" but that's what her staff member friend told her.