Author Topic: Wig pain?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Wig pain?
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:57:07 pm »
After wearing my wig for a bit, it starts to really hurt. >< Is there some way this can be avoided? The only solution I have is always making sure I have Advil on me.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!! =3

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Wig pain?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:05:27 pm »
what part of it hurts? doe it pull on your hair or is it the sweaty lack of air?

the worst wig pain i had was whe i was detangling a wig and sliced open my finger to the bone it realy hurt
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:10:20 pm »
My wig would always squeeze my head too tight and give me headaches. If I knew of a way to avoid this I would be very happy. I don't thing that the wig can adjust in anyway.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:17:43 pm »
what part of it hurts? doe it pull on your hair or is it the sweaty lack of air?

the worst wig pain i had was whe i was detangling a wig and sliced open my finger to the bone it realy hurt

The wig is really tight on my head, which gives me bad headaches. >< The wig itself is short *see avie pic*.

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »
This might seem like a dumb question but have you checked inside the wig to make sure the hooks or velcro or whatever tightens or loosens the wig are in the right place to fit your head? Sometimes I forget about that when I'm putting new wigs on my sister. Using hair pins and bobby pins to fit it to your head works better to keep it on your head too without cinching it too tight. But you probably already know that so I'm shutting up now.
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:13:11 pm »
Oh no, that's not a stupid question at all! =3

The wig has hooks on both sides of the wig (which I'm assuming are the hooks you're talking about), which I sometimes use, but I won't be using them anymore thanks to finally realizing how stupid that is when the wig is already tight. >< *facepalm* But I also do use bobby pins to secure the wig to my wig cap.

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:51:37 pm »
Ooooh you use a wig cap. That could be the problem too. I never had trouble with headaches wearing a wig before I started using a wig cap. It's really hard to avoid using one and I haven't been able to find one that isn't too tight after a while of wearing it yet. >.<

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:54:42 pm »
Go all natural! Well, you might have to change hair color...

Offline sadaharu

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:48:53 pm »
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=141270

I had this problem when I got my first wig, so I posted on cosplay.com, and if you look at the 4th reply down, she added a picture that shows really well how to add some elastic to the wig.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try this with my wig, as it was made a bit differently, and was a short haired wig, so the area i would have to cut out and replace had several strands of the wig fiber attached there. Hopefully this might work for you though.

I've also heard it can have a lot to do with how you put your hair up under your wig cap, which makes sense. I'm still not very good at that myself, but maybe try some different methods for putting your hair up under the wig cap to see if it makes a difference.

Offline Shinigami Squirrel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:27:19 am »
Sometimes the wigs you get might be too small for your head... That was the case with my sister's Misa Amane wig... It was small and we had a hard time getting all her hair under it, while my friend playing L had a fricken huge wig and it fit nicely...

Offline savani

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25:58 am »
Ooooh you use a wig cap. That could be the problem too. I never had trouble with headaches wearing a wig before I started using a wig cap. It's really hard to avoid using one and I haven't been able to find one that isn't too tight after a while of wearing it yet. >.<
any wig cap should be broken in a bit before you wear it for a full day XD
Also, you should NEVER (if you have remotely longer than very short hair) go without a wig cap, in my opinion. I say this becasue putting your hair up properly under a wig cap will secure/anchor the wig to your head, so it's not constantly slipping off. Also, it aids in hiding your real hair under the wig. remember, too, that a wig should always come down a bit further than your natural hairline.
I swear by wig caps >.>

As for a wig squeexing your head, it means you have a bigger head >.< Really, just make sure you always get an adjustable wig. beyond that, the only other otion is to a)break in the wig and wig cap b)sew more wig

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:44:02 pm »
I've heard, and I'm not sure if it's true, that New Look wigs tend to come in larger sizes and fit larger heads better. Not entirely sure if this is correct though.

I agree Savani about wig caps though. They're a life saver for hiding hair and keeping the darn wig on. Though I think my sister's has a few runs in them from all the pins I stabbed in there...
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:41 pm »
I have a question about wig caps: I have a wig that I need to secure to my head pretty tightly cuz it's very likely that I'll be rolling around in fake fist fights for the better part of a day. Would sticking pins through the wig cap make it pretty much useless (kind of what Delphi's talking about), or would it still work? That's really the only reason I haven't used one, cuz I wasn't sure how effective it would be after I stab all the pins through it. >>
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:14:02 am »
My wig stays on really well with a wig cap without the pins. I only fell down once. wig caps are that expensive so you might want to play it on the safe side and use pins.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »
expensive?  where do you get your's? 
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:16 pm »
Sorry there was supposed to be a not in there. They are NOT that expensive. My bad

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 11:33:22 pm »
Well I've never actually put on a wig before but my mother works at a hair salon and she knows quite a but about wigs.
Wearing a wigcap is the best way to go, definetly. And you want to get a good one that's just the right size. If you just started wearing the wig and it hurts but you've worn others before then it's probably the wig if you've worn wigs without the wigcap then it's probably the wigcap. That's what I say... XD

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:12 pm »
A question about wigs since this is already up....How do you avoid an itchy wig? Is it the bad quality? I mean, I use a wig cap and everything, but after 10 minutes outside, it itches like CRAZY.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:00 am »
When I do use a wig cap for my wig it never itches and the few times it does itch (without the wig cap) its just around the edges. I guess it could be poor quality.