Author Topic: Suggesting a new contest?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Suggesting a new contest?
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:08:52 pm »
Would this be a good place to ask about suggesting a new contest? If it isn't you can always move this! I've looked, and so far this is the best place to ask.

SO. I was thinking, besides the Cosplay Contest, there could be a Walk-on Tournament! Pardon me on the rules, please, what since I'm pulling these off the top of my head... But basically, it would be that two people would face off and take turns doing small one-person skits off the tops of their heads. The winner of a round would be determined by a panel of judges, and the people competing can involve people from the audience if need be. The people facing off would be allowed to do whatever they want for a skit (short of full-frontal nudity or anything else banned by the Cosplay Contest rules), including preparing skits beforehand so as to put more thought into the things they do.

The entire tournament would be arranged into a tournament tree, and there would be a set number of spaces that can be filled. Of course, you would have to register to be in it beforehand. But it would be completely off the top of your head, and it would encourage all sorts of creativity and... Stuff!

Hell, I don't know. I just want to do something like this really freaking badly.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Suggesting a new contest?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:30 pm »
It'd be like.....Who's Otaku Is it Anyway? lol K'Con Improv. Sounds like it could be entertaining, though it would definitely need some structure, as improv anything has the potential to go badly, very quickly (as in people forgetting what they wanted to do, lots of dead air, etc.), but it is a great suggestion. I could see it in a room, probably not on the main stage, but I can see it! heh I wouldn't do it, cause I can't act for beans, but here's to it getting done! *cheers*

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:03:08 am »
Cosplay improv sounds like a great thing to put in the Live Events room upstairs. It's the smaller stage and the more stuff we schedule in there on the stage the less likely we are to have to tear it down to make room for other events.

It's also a way for the people who spend a lot of time goofing off in character to do it in front of an audience and get recognized.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:41:02 am »
That would be awesome, Tom.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:44:51 pm »
Sounds great to me!

There are some improv games that have been successes at KC for many years running...where individuals and/or groups make up live performances of fanfiction on the spot, in the Creation Station. You might personally also want to check those out, or if you need help to plan your event, you're welcome to consult our staff who have run those events. :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:53:55 pm »
I would gladly participate in some improv if such an event happened.
(I swear I wish I could graduate sooner >.< )

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:01:33 am »
All this support is actually making me want to run something like this!

But I can't, can I?

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:53:26 am »
I know I'm reviving a semi-dead topic, but I'm just going to add that this something I'd want to see. O:

But improv is a lot harder to do than one might think... So whoever runs this might want to have a set "improv team," or have an actor or two on the sidelines who can step in whenever people onstage don't know what they're doing or there's a moment of awkward silence. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:11:01 pm »
If anyone wants to do this, they're welcome to. I've got too much on my plate to finish before con to add something like this to the load.