Author Topic: Open mic karaoke  (Read 10066 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
Open mic karaoke
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:15 am »
I am wondering- when will the open mic karaoke be at KC? I have mulled taking part in it.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline harukenshin

• Cabbit
Re: Open mic karaoke
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:02:27 am »
it was last year  so i would think that is would be there is year too
circle walkers unite

with the monkeys

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:47:10 pm »
Yeah, I think any time there isn't an actual event in the karaoke room, it's open mic. Not that I know officially, but I'm pretty sure. >>

On that note, I have a question about the open mic: are we allowed to sing songs that aren't anime- or japanese-related? I know it's preferred since it is an anime convention, but since open mic is just for fun anyway, is it alright to bring in some other songs to sing? I know last year someone sang a song from Wicked, so I was just wondering. Oh, and the songs would probably have something to do with whoever I'm cosplaying, so it would be kind of related I guess. ^^;
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:15 am »
@goatchild

From my understanding, in open mic, you're allowed to sing anything as long as it's not offensive or vulgar. But you should probably check in with the actual staff about that.

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:14 pm »
Yeah, I think any time there isn't an actual event in the karaoke room, it's open mic. Not that I know officially, but I'm pretty sure. >>

On that note, I have a question about the open mic: are we allowed to sing songs that aren't anime- or japanese-related? I know it's preferred since it is an anime convention, but since open mic is just for fun anyway, is it alright to bring in some other songs to sing? I know last year someone sang a song from Wicked, so I was just wondering. Oh, and the songs would probably have something to do with whoever I'm cosplaying, so it would be kind of related I guess. ^^;

Past two years I went to Kumoricon, there were these events:

Japanese Idol Contest (equivalent to American idol)
Cosplay Hybrid (Sing as either your character or related to your costume)

You could audition for either, and if you weren't sure which to do, you can have the judges pick whichever one they think would suit your personality and voice style. Japanese Idol is much harder to go for, and cosplay hybrid is easier.

Hope that helps,
-Bakura/Heero
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:56:15 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of singing a 1980s pop song.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »

Open Mic has been around for as long as I can remember with Kumoricon.  There are set times for when Open mic takes place but I don't know how often.

As for songs, of course you can sing non-anime songs.  One year I sang "The Devil went Down to Georgia" complete with air-fiddle-solo.

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:47 pm »
Okay, thanks. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Hitokiri Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:47:56 pm »
Would love the open mic.  Done it at Sakuracon this year and last and would do so at Kumori.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:14:01 am »
I tend to do 99 Luftballoons in German if that tells you anything.

Although once at a different con I was treated badly for doing an English song. People kept making very loud comments during it about "Why's she singing Counting Crows? This is an ANIME con!" even though it was Open Mic time. It was really rude and I hope none of those people come here.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
Hmm....Damn. I still need to print out the stupid form thing for the actual contest...>.<

Offline Millenium Strife

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:10 pm »
As with any convention, I will more than likely spend many many hours in the Karaoke room at Kumoricon this year.

Expect some FMA songs, as well as some Haruhi Suzumiya songs from me.

I have a whole repertoire of songs to choose from, so expect to hear from me a lot. =p

-MS
Kumoricon 2007 Staff-
Karaoke Contests' MC, Charity Auction MC, Guest Host/Liaison, General Main Events Tech Staff

Kumoricon 2008 - Karaoke Contest MC, Cosplay Chess MC

Offline Aftercon.com

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:59:56 pm »
Does the open karaoke take music off of an ipod? Do they provide lyrics?

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 07:24:03 pm »
I am bringing a plethora of Jrock music. Mostly Miyavi, X Japan, Dir en Grey, and the like. 8D
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Aftercon.com

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:31:32 pm »
That's awesome. I'm bring some Gackt and Versailles and company. haha. And probably some jpop stuff too. So they only take CDs???? I will have my iPod so hopefully they take that and will be able to play the music from it.

I guess I have a flash drive too.

Offline Millenium Strife

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:11 am »
If I remember correctly, they have equipment to hook up any headphone-jacked media player to their systems, unless they've changed it.

-MS
Kumoricon 2007 Staff-
Karaoke Contests' MC, Charity Auction MC, Guest Host/Liaison, General Main Events Tech Staff

Kumoricon 2008 - Karaoke Contest MC, Cosplay Chess MC

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 12:35:18 am »
You're cosplay chess MC? You've just made a lot of people happy, Roy. :D
-Ed
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Aftercon.com

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »
If I remember correctly, they have equipment to hook up any headphone-jacked media player to their systems, unless they've changed it.

-MS

Ah, sweet. I guess an iPod would work then. Thanks!