Author Topic: Contests for Creation Station and/or Dealer's Room?  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Contests for Creation Station and/or Dealer's Room?
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:29:28 am »
These were some contests that happened at KawaiiKon in the Dealer's Room and they were a lot of fun.  They're simple, they don't take up much time, and they attract people to that area of the con.

I copied and pasted the rules from the KawaiiKon forum.  There were times when the people in charge didn't go exactly by the rules though such as the maximum number of people participating so the rules aren't set in stone.
And one of the other rules was if you won one type of contest, like the sticky note contest, then you couldn't participate in that contest again for the year.

Returning Contests

Sticky Note Challenge
Entrants:   15 max per round
Time allotted:   10 minutes
Skill:   Rank B

Rules
Each contestant will be given a standard 3”x3” sticky note. Once all the contestants have a sticky note sheet, the theme of the challenge will be announced. Contestants then have 10 minutes to draw a picture that represents the given theme. Artists may use any media they have on hand or pick up drawing materials from the Artist Alley registration table. Drawing materials will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. At the end of 10 minutes, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their sticky note to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judged on the following categories. A maximum of 10 points will be awarded in each of the categories below:
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the uniqueness of the overall concept presented in the drawing as well as the creative interpretation of the theme.
•   Artistry: This category rates the overall artistic quality of the drawing.
•   Use of Theme: This category rates how well the given theme is incorporated in the drawing.

Doodle-Art Challenge
Entrants:   10 max per round
Time allotted:   20 minutes
Skill:   Rank B

Rules
Each contestant will be given a 5.5” x 8.5” sheet of paper with a preprinted doodle. All artists in a round will receive the same doodle. Contestants have 20 minutes to draw a picture that utilizes the given doodle as part of the primary image. Artists may use any media they have on hand or pick up drawing materials from the Artist Alley registration table. Drawing materials will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. At the end of 20 minutes, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their doodle drawing to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judged on the following categories. A maximum of 10 points will be awarded in each of the categories below:
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the unique and creative use of the given doodle.
•   Artistry: This category rates the overall artistic quality of the drawing.
•   Use of Doodle: This category rates how well the given doodle is incorporated in the drawing.

“Iron Artist” Challenge
Entrants:   7 max per round
Time allotted:   1 hour
Skill:   Rank A
Rules
Each contestant will be given a stack of blank 8.5” x 11” paper. Once all the contestants are ready, the theme of the challenge will be announced. Contestants then have 1 hour to draw 3 pictures that represent the given theme. At least one of the drawings must be in color. Artists may use any media they have on hand or pick up drawing materials from the Artist Alley registration table. Drawing materials will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. At the end of 1 hour, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their 3 drawings to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round. The contest is open to everyone.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judged on the following categories. A maximum of 10 points will be awarded to each drawing in each of the categories below:
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the uniqueness of the overall concept presented in the drawings as well as the creative interpretation of the theme.
•   Artistry: This category rates the overall artistic quality of the drawings.
•   Use of Theme: This category rates how well the given theme is incorporated in the drawings.
•   Overall Quality: This category rates the cohesiveness of the 3 drawings and the overall quality of the artist’s submissions.
New Contests

Fill the Manga Box
Entrants:   5 People
Time allotted:   30 minutes
Skill Level:   Rank B

Rules
Each contestant will be given a 5.5”x 8.5” sheet of paper with preprinted manga layout. Artists will all receive the same layout. Contestants have 30 minutes to finish a page pertaining to the theme. Artist may only use a ballpoint pen provided by the Artist Alley Registration table. At the end of the 30 minutes, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their manga to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judges on the following categories. A Maximum of 10 points will be awarded in each of the following categories below
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the unique and creative interpretation of the manga panel.
•   Use of layout: This category rates a careful usage of the premade layout to an artistic advantage.
•   Flow/Story: This category rates the continuity of the comic through the layout.
•   Artistry: This category rates the overall artistic quality of the drawings.

“Kawaii Kawaii Chibi Battle!”
Entrants:   20 max per round
Time allotted:   5 minutes
Skill Level:   Rank C

Rules
Each contestant will be given a 3” x 3” Post it Note. Artists will be given an expression that must be visually conveyed using a chibi character. The chibi can be of an existing character or a made up one. Artists are only allowed to use a pencil/pen. At the end of the 5 minutes, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their drawing to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judges on the following categories. A Maximum of 10 points will be awarded in each of the following categories below
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the uniqueness of the chibi as well as the creative interpretation of the given expression.
•   Use of expression: This category rates how well the expression was reflected in the artwork.
•   Cuteness: This category will rate the chibi-ness of the character drawn as well as artistic skill.

Fingerprint Contest “Finger Stamp!”
Entrants:   10 max per round
Time allotted:   10 minutes
Skill Level:   Rank C

Rules
Each contestant will be given a 5.5” x 8.5” sheet of paper and instructed to stamp their fingerprint somewhere on the sheet. They then have 10 minutes to draw a picture that utilizes the given print as part of the primary image. Artists may use any media they have on hand or pick up drawing materials from the Artist Alley registration table. Drawing materials will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. At the end of 10 minutes, artists will be instructed to stop immediately and bring their drawing to the registration table. Judges will decide on a winner immediately following the round.

Judging Criteria
Entries will be judges on the following categories. A maximum of 10 points will be awarded in each of the following categories below
•   Originality/Creativity: This category rates the unique and creative use of their fingerprint.
•   Use of image: Category rates how well the fingerprint was incorporated into the drawing.
•   Artistic Ability: This category will rate the overall look of the drawing, as well as artistic skill.

Again, I don't know if you guys have already finalized the con but I'm throwing this out here as an idea.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Contests for Creation Station and/or Dealer's Room?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:03:36 am »
the sticky note game sounds just like the one I invented on the fly before the pocky club pannel last year, since there were pads of paper scatterd everywhere i told every one draw me kirby fan fic lots of em now!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:56:40 am »
Wow Negima, you rule!
Are you coming in from Hawaii this year? Would you want to run any of those?

I'm always open to any new ideas coming in through the fan creation area of programming......And we have two rooms this year, so the more the merrier!

I will go ahead and copy and paste your post to our the_creation_station yahoo group and see what happens!

Fondly
Rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:58:53 pm »
Last year, I was asked if I wanted to help judge the '08 contests. Do you still need an extra judge?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:04:47 am »
Wow Negima, you rule!
Are you coming in from Hawaii this year? Would you want to run any of those?
Unfortunately no.  I still have at least another year before I graduate so I'll miss the next con.  My hope is to be back for '09.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:10 pm »
Last year, I was asked if I wanted to help judge the '08 contests. Do you still need an extra judge?

I do not think we need one per se, but it's possible our contest coordinator might be open to adding one. Could you please PM me a little bit about some of your qualifications and availability? Example: Are you 18+? Are you committed to any other parts of the con?
I think I might've just replied to you about your work in the shameless plug thread?
Were you the one who had the paintings?

Negima: Hope to see you in '09 then!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:55:38 pm by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:29:47 pm »
Hopefully, someone here can answer this for me.

When I talked with you guys at the May general meeting, you told me that the novella contest submissions were due at the July meeting.  I showed up, but none of you were there.  When can I submit my story to you guys?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:33:56 pm »
The novella deadline is actually 07/30, so you've got a few days. And I think everyone is just busy (I had to work all day otherwise I would have tried to be there, and the other CS staff that normally come are from the Seattle area...). But I'm sorry we weren't there to take your submission!

If you have a typed copy e-mail it to: fanficcontest@kumoricon.org (one entry per e-mail)

Or snail mail it to:
Creation Station c/o Ellen Klowden
P.O. Box 5098
Eugene, OR 97405

Make sure your entry has all of the following:

Title of Entry:
Your full name: (your name as it will appear on your badge)
Pen name: (as you would want it printed/announced if you are a winner)
Names of anyone else collaborating on the work:
Your name on the forums (if any):
Fandom:
Genres to which you are submitting each piece (limit 3 per piece):
Any spoilers:
Rating:
Home contact info: (email and/or phone)
Age if minor (for special prize for submissions from folks 16 & under)
Is this your first contest?:
Notes:

All of the rules are up at: http://www.fancreationstation.org/FanfictionRules.htm
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:00:03 am »
(Small correction to Negima's first post, the contests were part of AA, not the Dealer's room)

Actually Rem, I also went to the Hawaii convention this year, and I think I'm going to Kumoricon this year; possibly I can help if my schedule is open.  I worked with you guys before I think (briefly) and I also helped the Kawaiikon Assistant Director of the AA, who ran most of the contests.

Just so that you're not totally leeching off the original ideas though, I would recommend changing up the contests slightly as well.  I can talk to them; they probably might not even care. :D

[edit] Oh dude, I didn't realize how old the starter post was.  I'm sorry >___>;;; You probably have everything set by now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:05:09 am by spaztic_chu »

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:55:36 pm »
I am very interested in the Iron Artist challenge and the Kawaii Chibi contest.  But I want to know: Can we please have the Lolita contest this year!?  I offered this idea last year and I don't think we did anything with it.  We could have both Gothic and Dolly Lolita.  Please?!  I could even introduce it or get the Lolita "Matt Damen!" girls to come by and share their advice with the people interested.

Hows about we have a vote for who wants to do this.  I would love to give it a shot.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »
I will post this on the CS yahoo group and see what the other members think, how bout that? Unfortunately I think the con book has already gone to print (I believe Cassie said it HAD to go in by today), so we may just have to hold it 'unofficially' and advertise with signs around the con.
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:26 am »
The novella deadline is actually 07/30,

So, since what I was told was wrong, & the deadline is not during one of the meetings, like it's been in the past, I have to cancel & reschedule a meeting I have today, again, just to e-mail my story?  Great.  Oh well.

Rating:

I assume that when we give a rating, we're suppose to do our best to make an estimated guess on what it is, since the system that you guys wanted those making submissions didn't work, and I had to guess then, too...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:25:42 pm »
Spaztic Chu-- I think I remember you, are you also a translator? You're certainly more than welcome to help in any capacity, and if you haven't already done so, please join
the_creation_station@yahoogroups.com!

mellonemrys & bastett: I'm totally in favor; these would match our new, faster pace, alongside our mini-panels.

washougal_otaku: I'm pretty sure we can work something out; since you just joined, post to the yahoo group, & I'll advocate for you.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:01:08 pm »
Rating:

I assume that when we give a rating, we're suppose to do our best to make an estimated guess on what it is, since the system that you guys wanted those making submissions didn't work, and I had to guess then, too...

Do you mean the link doesn't work?

Just estimate as best you can. We aren't a rating board and neither are you, so we can't expect you or any other entrant to do more than that. If you go by a G-PG13 rating system we'll know what you're talking about.

If you can't get it e-mailed, I'll be at the meeting on the 3rd (if you can make it) and I'll take it for you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:09:50 pm by mellonemrys »
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 09:03:35 am »
Well, I was at the meeting.  (The guy who stood up & talked about the auction).  I would've stayed & chatted, but C-Tran really sucks on Sundays.  Plus, Jackie said something about getting my story & was going to forward it to you guys.  (Not sure how she got it, but oh well.  Stuff happens, right?)

Anyway, hope you guys got it!

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:07:07 pm »
It came to me because I am included on all of the e-mail forwards for the Programming Department.. that way, if there are e-mail issues, I at least have it.  I have forwarded on all of the submissions I received to the fanfic contest judges (including yours, Aaron).
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 12:36:16 am »
I'll be sending out response e-mails within the next few hours.
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org