Author Topic: To people in Vancouver, Battle Ground, Camas and stuff..  (Read 16424 times)

Offline ndarkeral

• Sailor Scout
    • http://tifalonia.deviantart.com
To people in Vancouver, Battle Ground, Camas and stuff..
« on: September 13, 2004, 08:39:21 pm »
I was thinking of having anime meetups in Vancouver.. I heard there was an anime club at Clark College but I haven't met anyone that belongs to it (I'm sort of a student there) and all the other anime clubs are in Portland.

It takes a bit too much gas to get to Portland so I thought having local animewatching/gaming meetings would be great.

Offline Hero

• Cabbit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:24:03 am »
I am a member of the Clark Anime and Japanese Club. We have an anime showing in Foster auditorium in hannah hall every saterday 5-10 o-clock.  Our meetings are currently everyother saterday 4-5. Once fall quarter starts we will meet  every saterday though. We always love to have more members, so show up say "Hi" and watch some Anime. I'm not really sure what we are showing right now, the space between quarters is ussually a transition period anyway, and I'm always sitting outside helping with concesions.

See you there
Sir Matthew Dewey
Hero extraordinaire

Monsters slain, damsels rescued, worlds saved,
No job to big or small.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:42:37 am »
I HATE CLARK ANIME!  They've ripped me off SO many times with their corrupt leaders and politic bullsh** that I've boycotted them.  I'd suggest we start a club elsewhere.  I'll never ever go back to that evil club.

See why I'm bitter about cosplay?

Year one of cosplay at Clark anime:
My group and I spent 2 weeks building our costumes for a Final Fantasy 8 cosplay and we recruited Matt Spencer to be Squall.  BIG mistake because the club leaders knew him.  Though he didn't have the belts or a decent costume he's the only one in our group that won an award.  We got GYPPED hugely.
Year 2:
To spite the club I made my best cosplay costume up to that point and cosplayed Pyocola Analogue III from DiGi Charat.  Jessie cosplayed Rabi~en~Rose.  We, together, spent two months ahead of time teaching ourselves how to sew and how to read patterns, etc. and made our costumes.  TWO MONTHS.  And guess who wins?  The girl DATING somebody in the club who borrowed her little sister's clothes so she could cosplay as that annoying Kodomo no Omocha girl.  

The club is ********.

----------------------------

Modified due to foul language
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:53:23 pm by kylite »
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Hero

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 10:13:02 am »
Hey. We do what we can. I recognize we are not a well organized or especially large club, but we try hard. If you have complaints about the clubs current incarnation please bring them to the club, we apreciate feedback. Please don't try and make us seem bad because of things that happened last year or the year before though. We are a good club, and I know that I at least want everyone to be happy.

Keep smiling
Sir Matthew Dewey
Hero extraordinaire

No job to big or small.

Offline celticangel

• Sailor Scout
Re: To people in Vancouver, Battle Ground, Camas and stuff..
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 11:38:01 am »
Quote from: "ndarkeral"
I was thinking of having anime meetups in Vancouver.. I heard there was an anime club at Clark College but I haven't met anyone that belongs to it (I'm sort of a student there) and all the other anime clubs are in Portland.

It takes a bit too much gas to get to Portland so I thought having local animewatching/gaming meetings would be great.

(in an attempt to stear this from the flameness it turned into...)

I'd be up for meetups of congoers! Strangely enough, most of the clark anime club did NOT go to the con. Or, at least I didn't see them there.

I go to every anime night I can. But that's 'cause I have no life. And the club leaders that I detested a year or two ago (probably the same ones mistresslegato was talking about) were changed. So everything is good now.

I do so hope you'll come.

Or you could set a time/place if you wanna hang out with a bunch of con people. I know several who would be interested.

Offline Hero

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 03:33:43 pm »
Definately I'd love to get together with some people and actually watch anime.
Sir Matthew Dewey
Hero extraordinaire

No job to big or small.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 05:04:47 pm »
Quote from: "Hero"
Hey. We do what we can. I recognize we are not a well organized or especially large club, but we try hard. If you have complaints about the clubs current incarnation please bring them to the club, we apreciate feedback. Please don't try and make us seem bad because of things that happened last year or the year before though. We are a good club, and I know that I at least want everyone to be happy.

Keep smiling

I've brought it to the club several times and nothing is ever done about the corruption and friends voting for friends crap.  Nobody gets a say in what is watches, nobody unbiased ever gets a say in the cosplay.

I've seen it with my own eyes and it IS bad.  I don't have to try to make it look that way.

I think that we oughta start our own club somewhere else on a day/night that doesn't conflict with Clark.  I personally don't care if it does, but I'm sure people that do attend the Clark anime club would also like to attend the new one.

Offline Hero

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 06:29:41 pm »
Since I have been an active member in the club I haven't seen anything like that. If I do see any clear favortism in the various events I will make an issue of it. If you would like to have a say in what is shown show up to the meetings and talk to our Director of Programming. We might be having a programming meeting soon even. I like the Idea of another club. Anime needs all the suport it can get. Keep having fun.

Be Cooprative not confrontational.
Sir Matthew Dewey
Hero extraordinaire

No job to big or small.

Offline ndarkeral

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 11:07:26 pm »
Yeaaah.... this really makes me want to meet up with people now o_o

I'll just call my buds here in Washougal/Camas and make them watch anime, even if it's DBZ again (Which I hate).

o_O;;;;

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 09:03:21 am »
Don't not want to have a new club just because of problems some people have with other clubs.

I've been wanting to start one up for awhile, but I dunno how to go about it.  I was Vice President of the Mountain View anime club and an officer the other 2 years I was in it.

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 11:55:36 am »
Oh cool!! what a great idea?  where? when?

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 12:48:48 pm »
Yurgghh. I miss Vancouver.  (lives in troutdale now.)

If there was a way to meet that would allow me to get back home in time to catch the bus back to my dorm, I would definitely do it....(Has to be at gresham city hall by 9:00 pm every night)

I actually saw a few people from clark anime there.  I saw Horohoro....(at least, that's the nickname she used to go by...I've been absent from the club for a few years.  I also saw some other members.  And Hero!  Bleh)

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 01:54:15 pm »
That'd be nice. ^_^  I wanted to get together with some sort of costume/anime watching groupy thing, but I havn't been able to.  I live farther north, in Castle Rock *points to thing under Avatar*, but as is, I drive to Portland three times a week for school.  >_<

So.....If there is any sort of meetup, please post here, so I can maybe try and come?  ^_^  That'd be sweet.

Thanks loves--

-ko

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 02:07:02 pm »
Ah, the memories. Mountain View Anime Club was awesome, and we had some good times. That was its best year. then we turned it over to Darby and she ran it into the ground. but thats still in discusion over if that was her fault or a decline in visitors.

i havent been to clark anime for a while, so i cant really say anything about them currently.  

that would be great if we could get another club going in vancouver. the only place i can think of is a .... its like a town hall... its on 164th, past Game Crazy... my memory is fuzzy. anyone in the Cascade Park/Fishers Landing area know what im talking about?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 10:14:33 am »
The grange hall you mean?

Yea, our club got gutted . . . that sucked . . .

I'd like cosplay to be something that would be involved as well.  An anime/manga and cosplay club for Clark County would rock ...

Hrm . .. if only somebody had a giant house or something!

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 03:03:43 pm »
Yeah, Fishers Grange Community Center. i  tried calling them, but the message machine was full. *shrugs* will try later.

man, thems was the times. that was the best year. Duck, MistressLegato, myself, and once in a blue moon Kevin, all running things at the MVHS anime club smoothly. but get this. as of last year (i think), they dont get the forum anymore. they have to use Mrs. Dinsmore's room. and its like 4 people their, barely watching something and playing Yu Gi Oh. its hilarious, but sad.

having the club be cosplay oriented as well would be pretty cool. i wanted to cosplay as Guts from Berserk at Sakura Con this year, but i couldnt at all figure out how to do work the metal. having a place to meet and pool ideas would be handy.

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 12:03:24 pm »
Alright, i did some searching for places, and here's what i came up with.

Marshal Center - a room that holds around 60 people is $48 an hour. and their cheapest room is $18 an hour. so... i dont know if that would work so much.

Jim Parsley... uh... Center? - The rooms are $10 an... hour? now i cant remember, but probably an hour, and hold 50 people. they dont know if they will support a reoccuring event such as this, so i am awaiting a call from them once they've decided.

Clark Public Utilities - They have two locations (one in downtown Vancouver, and one in Orchards). Im waiting for a call from them as well.

Fishers Grange Community Center - Still not answering their phone.

Fort Vancouver Regional Library - Once i got to the right person, he seemed really interested in this. I should be getting a call from him on friday, after he's talked to his supervisor. Few things though. They would probably require it to be a joint venture, meaning they might have a hand in what we do. Thats just speculation on my part though. Second, the library is right down the street from Clark, and if we end up meeting on saturdays, i would rather not end up having some sort of otaku turf war.

all the places i called dont provide equipment (except Clark P.U., but thats just a tv and a vcr), so we'd have to provide our own equipment and such.
I only called places in the vancouver area, so i have no idea if there's anything in the camas are or anywhere else locally.

off the top of my head, perhaps a small theater we could reserve, but thats rather unlikely, plus would probably be costly.

i really dig the idea of starting another anime club in this area. i remember helping start a club from the ground up is a blast. is anyone else serious about this?

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 03:08:04 pm »
I would so love to be involved in this, but right now I live in Troutdale, and I'll be moving to beaverton soon.  With no ride, I'd be spending most of my time on the bus, and like maybe and hour to an hour and a half doing meeting things, unless the meetings were held earlier in the day (that's the reason why I don't go to Clark Anime anymore.  I used to be really heavily involved when I lived in Vancouver).  

If there was somewhere that public transit-bound otaku in the Vancouver-Portland area could meet, that would be great.  Especially if it was a during the day thing, and had hours that would allow us "accross the river" otaku to attend, and get back to Portland before the buses stop running.  ^_^

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline ndarkeral

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 07:10:38 pm »
Quote from: "Serious_Alex"

I only called places in the vancouver area, so i have no idea if there's anything in the camas are or anywhere else locally.

I'm starting one in Camas/Washougal. It'll be called WAC, for Wacky Anime Club.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 09:43:59 am »
Gah, paying for a place would suxx0r . .. hrm . . . I wish I had a HUGE house with big screen tv's!

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 12:42:22 pm »
i told a guy at work about this, and he sorta put it in a good way. "It'd be (cant remember if he said interesting or nice) if there was a club that focused more on the fandom than just watching anime". yeah, it went something like that, but i liked his point. Like mistresslegato said, a club that dealt with manga and cosplay, as well as the usual anime. and mebbe a smidged of DDR?

Yeah, paying for a place would be teh lame, but... *shrug* i dunno. the only place that i dont think we'd have to pay for is the Library.

on that note, Clark P.U. said nein. but i did get (sort of) a number to get in contact with Fishers Grange, so im just waiting a return call from her.

another thing.. is the anime portion. i've got crap for anime these days, since i fell out of the loop. anybody have a steady stream of watchable anime?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 12:47:10 pm »
I have a load of new stuff.

I bought Kiddy Grade, boxed set before it got released here.  It has some wonky subtitles, but it's still a great series.
I bought all of Ruruoni Kenshin, all of Gensoumaden Saiyuki . . . but I want to get it on DVD, rather than VHS 'cuz Kerry's VCR ate the second tape  XI
I have Sailor StarS boxed set, all of the Sailor Moon movies, I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs!  The first 6 episodes of Magical Girl Pretty Sasami! and the Mihoshi Special, Tenchi Muyo!

I know where to get cheap boxed sets.  I just need a job to get more.  Kerry has Happy Lesson! and some other stuff, too

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004, 12:05:15 pm »
*drool* kenshin. had a craving for that series lately.
I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs! looked pretty funny.

all ive got is a few movies, but no complete series. nothing too amazing.

punks. library didnt call on friday, and while i did finally get to leave a message with fishers grange, they still havent called back. punks.

so... ndarkeral is starting a club in camas/washougal, so i guess that means im gonna try starting another club here in vancouver. i sure as hell cant do it alone, so... who's with me?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 12:40:29 pm »
Coatney and I have been wanting to start one for awhile now, so let's join our forces!  MWAHAHA!  Vancouver, you have been STORMED!  We made a good anime club team before, ne?

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004, 12:52:24 pm »
most definetly! heh, all we need now is duck and we would have teh old team back together.

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 12:53:58 pm »
oops, didnt sign in to post that. well, now that its settled, time to go bug teh hell out of the library and fishers grange. so... did you two have a name already or is it thinking time?

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 04:09:10 pm »
It appears to be thinking time!!!  I dunno what we'd call ourselves!  It would be so coool to be also fandom based.  Like fanfiction, art, cosplay, manga, live-action AND anime, plus ALL the other goodstuff!  DDR, lol!

We'll be the super-geek otaku-dom of Vancouver . . . and proud of it!!!

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 08:29:55 pm »
damn straight.  

i had an idea a  bit ago, but currently cant think of it.

and while on the subject of bad ass-ness, when i got home from the library, i had a message on my phone, from the library, saying they're interested in the idea of an anime group or something. the dude left his number, so im going to call him tomorrow, see what i can dredge up.

oh yeah. had an idea. you know how most anime clubs have an anime library of which you could check out anime for a while? well, what about a manga library? people could sign up to allow for people to "borrow" their manga's, and then vise versa.

hells yes DDR! i got hooked, but all i have is one pad for the X-Box. but they're $20, so i could easly get another. VS DDr!

anyhoo, yeah. its cross finger time to see if the library likes what i've got to say. Bu-ut... if they are still interested, mebbe whoever's interested in getting this off the ground (MistressLegato, a person named Coatney, and i) could go over, and meet with the library guy and ...plug? promote our group? Club? Forum? Fort Roxor?. im hoping this works out well.

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 12:19:09 pm »
well... that was a big ol two way kick in the crotch.

i called the guy at the library and talked to him for about five minutes. learned a few things.

-If we worked through the library, we'd have to get showing rights from the american companies. i think fansubs are up in the air. so thats great.

-THEY'RE CLOSED FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS. so that sort of puts a kink in our plan. plus they close at 6.

-and best of all, the guy i talked to was in charge of the youth program, and while all people would be welcome, i cant imagine that we could guarentee that there'd be nothing offensive to the littlest one...s.

on that note, he said he'd put my number through to the other programs in the library, so i guess i'll be getting a call from them eventually. maybe i can persuade to let us meet friday night or something to that extent.

ugh, this is why i would rather we set up in fishers grange, cause we'd pretty much have free reign (i think). but they wont call me back! dammit. plus we'd have to pay. im not sure how much, but yeah. so, thats teh news for now.

and for numero two, i was going to post the link to a small site i put together that had a bunch of pictures from the cosplay contests we had at MVAC. but geocities deleted it. wonderful.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2004, 03:00:51 pm »
AAAARGH.  Maybe we could just house-hop for the first sveral meetings.  I doubt we'll be TOO big to fit into somebody's living room or whatever.  I can fit a ton of people in my bedroom and/or living room with permission of the parentals, of course.

I'm all over this!

Hey, I was thinking Vancouver-Anime . . . we could be Vanime!  Ah, the cheeziness is terrible, but hey . . . it works.  It's a start, ne?  I have DDR Konamix for the PS and 1 dance pad for that.  Man, different systems . . . I do believe the X-Box one has better DDR stuff, though 'cuz can't you upload songs or something of that sort?

Need to find Duck . . .

I'm too protective of my manga collection and anime to rent it out to clubbers.  I do lend to my friends, so if anybody in the club becomes a friend or whatever I'll probably rent my stuff out.  I'm just touchy about things getting messed up and/or stolen/lost/destroyed.

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2004, 11:34:53 am »
house hopping could work at first. i gots teh small apartment, but... if i moved some stuff around, could mebbe fit liek... around 7-8 people? *doesnt know for sure* but yeah, at first i doubt we'd be too big to fit in a house.

i think you can download ddr songs with X-box live. wish i had x-box live. wish you could upload your OWN songs. that would be leet.

i saw Cindy at Sakuracon, and she said he had to stay home, so mebbe he's at home? maybe we ambush him.

VASH - Vancouver Anime Showdown House?

AFR - Anime Fandom Recreation?

VPGPWWIFAW - Vancouver and Portland Group for People Who Want to Indulge in the Fandom of Anime on the Weekends?

...yeah... i got nothing.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:59 am »

Check that out!  I made a poster  :)  I love Photoshop . . . it's actually bigger, but PhotoBucket shrinked it on me, cursed thing.  Whaddya think?

I found out how to get a hold of Duck!  Huzzah!  Hopefully he'll give me a ring today.  My friend Alice has Coatney's anime, so with his permission we've got access to ALL of Ranma 1/2, Outlaw Star, pretty much EVERY Miyazaki film, Slayers, Haibane Renmei and a TON more stuff.  He's got like 3 giant boxes of anime!

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 11:57:54 am »
awesome poster. and it makes Vanime work with the letters being part of another word. wonder how much color prints are at kinko's?

and cool, havent seen duck for more than a year.

on that note, i sent you an email through the kumori con function, but i dont know if it worked. its not a big deal, but it was about tomorrow. some people and i (angie, drake, brittany, maybe leanna... you might know angie) are DDR ing at my place tomorrow night around 7. i figure, come if you want to come, cause aside from the DDR, we could figure some stuff out about vanime. if you can get a hold of the duck, try and bring him! or whomever you want. iffen rides are needed, i gots car.

so, sweet. we have the anime portion of vanime taken care of. manga isnt really an issue that has to be taken care of, since everybody has their own. we can play dem vid games, and listen to dat j music. and the elegant gothic lolita thing? i wasnt even aware there was a following of that in vancouver, but hey, more power to em.

now to find out how much it costs to rent/buy a projector.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2004, 03:41:45 pm »
Meh, we don't need a projector.  I got a PS 2, VCR and DVD player.

So we founed another club, Huzzah!  I feel like a mommy . . .

EDIT:  Could I please request that no major decisions are made without me since it was our joint idea?  You and I are the founders, so I think we ought to share the presidential position.  Kewl?  I should e-mail you my phone number

Offline Acetylene

• Oni
    • http://www.doom9.net
yeah...
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2004, 07:31:34 pm »
Well peeps, my persimmon is imp slit when I handed over such things to such pea pole as I did at such a time.  (part ten they languish)

Anyway, now that I'm done being wierd and stupid, I'd love to help out in any way that I can.  Especially because, a) I have a large house b) yes I do have a LOT of anime (but it's only down to two boxes now hun, i packed it well! ;) )  and c) if we are a club not associated with a public institution, such as clark or mountain view, we can show licensed anime without any problems.  That means Angelic Layer!!!!!!!!  or gad guard or ranma or ..or or or or or or or or *faints from running around thinking of all the possibilities*

*wakes up suddenly*

The only problem we will have is finding a place to meet.  I kinda offered my house, but that would only work with parental permission, and then only every so often...  somehow, I think paying for a place (CHEAP!!!) is probably the best idea, but we can meet to discuss.

Thanks for letting me know about this in LJ Legato-dono.[/img]
"I'm gonna sing the doom song now! doom doom doom doomie doom doom doomie doom doom da doom doom doom doomie doom doom. doom doom doom doom doom doomie doom doom doom doom........"

-G.I.R.

Offline Serious_Alex

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 10:29:39 am »
alright, sounds good (on subject of dual presidency.)
email = [Moderator: redacted by request]
the ddring starts at 7, so, hopefully hear from you by then.
the projector would be so we wouldnt have to rely on a tv to show stuff.

cool. another person into this. maybe house hopping at first will work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:07:26 pm by JeffT »