Author Topic: Japanese Fashion Research Help?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Hashi

• Bunnygirl
    • Tumblr
Japanese Fashion Research Help?
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:59:51 pm »
Im kinda nervous about posting this, but I figured this might be my best chance to find people.

Im doing my Senior Paper on Japanese Street Fashion, and need people I can interview who have experience in it. So like, anyone who dresses GothLoli, or Kera or Fruits, or anyone who may know someone who knows alot about it? It would be sooo much appreciated if i could interveiw you for my paper!

Thank you in advance,to anyone who may be able to help !
Kumoricon:
Jet [atla]
Jet [MAoH]
Man-delaide [HINABN]
Mephisto [AnE]

カヲルはあなたの罪のために死んだ!
"Wanna be a Freedom Fighter?"

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
Re: Japanese Fashion Research Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:21:37 am »
You want might to try the Lolita hostess for this year, she has a ton of experience in this area; her username on here is maetel

Good luck!

~simon

Offline maetel

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/maetel9/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:08:21 am »
you might want to do more research on your initial subject. for example, Kera and FRUiTS are publications, not styles. there are countless "street fashion" styles - lolita, decora, punk, goth, rockabilly, cyber, gyaru, hime, shibuya-kei, cosplay, hiphop, bohemian, trendy, mod, designer label addicts, those who mix all of the above to make their own person style, etc etc. all with their own definitions and guidelines. it would probably take more than a school paper to cover them all.
in addition, there are very few official published sources that you could cite information from.
what do you want your paper to cover? what questions are you going to ask the people you interview? how are you going to connect being non-Japanese and wearing fashions styles that are from Japan? is this just an informative paper or do you need to make an argument for or against something?
i think you might want to focus on just one particular style (although again there's the lack of official information sources), or perhaps find a subject that's not so broad and a little easier to research.

Offline Hashi

• Bunnygirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:22:47 pm »
My paper is not on any one distinct style, i know there are a lot of them which is part of my reason for not limiting it. I apoligize that I did not make it any clearer when I posted this, I was actually very intimidated.

My paper is on peer pressure and self expression in Japan, and how fashion is a way of showing who 'you' are in an otherwise very conformity driven society. I need to interveiw people who dress in gothic lolita or decora for example, and ask them why they chose that style to represent themselves here in america because I have no actual contacts for people in japan. Or even if it is a unique style like you said people create themselves, why they chose to do so. I am also interveiwing people who dress in modern american styles, and people who have lived in japan and their opinions on teens who express themselves through the more drastic fashion.

I have found many print sources I can use, but now I need to interveiw people with different opinions. I have a person who is very interested in american fashion and I have my teachers who have lived in japan and moved over here to interveiw, so now I just need people who dress this way.

Im sorry for not being specific about this at all before, in truth I didnt think I'd get asked all these questions back

thank you for replying though
Kumoricon:
Jet [atla]
Jet [MAoH]
Man-delaide [HINABN]
Mephisto [AnE]

カヲルはあなたの罪のために死んだ!
"Wanna be a Freedom Fighter?"