Author Topic: Coolest project ever!  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Briar

• Cabbit
Coolest project ever!
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:04:45 pm »
So, for my journalism class I'm going to be doing an article on Japanese culture and how it affects America and vice versa. My teacher wants me to get music on there, so I got to spend an hour of class sitting there surfing the internet for Japanese music to listen to. It was pretty awesome.

But anyways, to the point, can you guys think of anything cool to put in there? I wanted to get ideas from other people who were influenced by Japanese culture. :)
If barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Coolest project ever!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:52:44 pm »
Well, you could talk about the main effects and events in america (obviously, CONS being a huge one). Cosplay, video games, gaming in general, FOOD, anime, fashion, music, etc.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
I think the most mainstream things are games, TV (a lot of American cartoons are anime-esq now xD ), and food. Sometimes the food doesn't seem that important since we all grew up with it, but not too long ago, you couldn't get any Japanese food in America, or at least not as easily as at the local mall. : P Besides that, I would say the biggest thing is the anime fandom and all things related. You'll want some actual facts on all of that, but just things I noticed. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »
Actually, this sounds like a tough project. You might need to narrow your focus.

Do you really think American music is influenced by Japanese music? I am not aware of AmericVK bands (but maybe they are out there).

I think an acceptence for non-sequiters has been influenced by Japanese video games, YouTube videos and Japanese game shows shown on G4. I don't think a lot of the American "adult" animation, would exist without the acceptance of the bizarre...Robot Chicken and shows like that.

Good luck.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:50:22 am »
So, for my journalism class I'm going to be doing an article on Japanese culture and how it affects America and vice versa. My teacher wants me to get music on there, so I got to spend an hour of class sitting there surfing the internet for Japanese music to listen to. It was pretty awesome.

But anyways, to the point, can you guys think of anything cool to put in there? I wanted to get ideas from other people who were influenced by Japanese culture. :)

That's cool!  I'm working on a presentation for my Fiction class, where I'll be talking about how other cultures have influenced manga & anime, both artistically & storyline-ish!  (I'll also be cosplaying as Ranma for this!)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Invader spleen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:18 pm »
T.V. Shows are a big one, that's for sure. A whole bunch of cartoons are mimicking the art style, and plots of a lot of anime. Oh, and games like Dance dance revolution to be specific are very popular, but made in Japan.