Author Topic: Weapons policy question  (Read 15006 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Weapons policy question
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 08:14:51 pm »
well it will be on the belt most of the time and out for picture. I'll be careful not to hit anyone. Thanks for confirmation.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2008, 01:04:06 am »
Thanks for the answer on the sign!
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:50 am »
well it will be on the belt most of the time and out for picture. I'll be careful not to hit anyone. Thanks for confirmation.
Thanks for your patience on this.  Please pass the word to any friends you have coming to the con about everything we've talked about here, and what is/is not allowed.  It'll make things go smoother for us staffers.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »
I can do that ^_^

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 02:58:42 pm »
Yeah, from what I read it looks like my weapon should be fine, but I'm just going to post my data as well and hope for the best. I am building a gun/hand-held cannon and it is going to about 6' in length. I wouldn't be carrying it straight because, obviously, it would trip people up when I turned in any direction. I planned to carry it facing upwards when walking, it seems like it would work fine then, but if there are any objections, just let me know. But it seems like it should be fine from what I read.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:41 pm »
don't hold it too high and be careful walking through doors. I could see you hitting it a lot......it might be fun to carry it straight out. You could get people out of the way faster.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 03:07:56 pm »
lol, that's a possiblity. Eh, I'm wondering if I should just carry it around outdoors only, might be easier. I knew this was gonna be a big gun, but I guess I forgot how crowded the halls could be.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2008, 03:49:26 pm »
I like 6' is a little much. But hey if it's allowed then by all means have fun.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2008, 03:53:03 pm »
Yeah, it just had to be 6' because that was the right proportion. In reality, the character I'll be cosplaying was 9' tall and his gun was a few inches longer than he was tall, so proportionally the gun had to be made at 6', but yeah, we'll see if it will work. I hope so, I'd hate to make it and not be able to carry it around.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »
A 6' long gun? You crazy..... :P
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2008, 04:29:11 pm »
Oh my gosh dude, you are going to have to have a spotter with you if you're going to get anywhere in that costume!

It'll fit in the elevators though!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2008, 09:50:47 pm »
haha, I've been pumping some major iron all year just to be sure I can actually lift it, heh. But nah, I'm making it durable but pretty lightweight, it will just look massive.

And I'm glad it will fit in the elevators, as stairs are no longer my friends, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2008, 11:52:48 pm »
haha, I've been pumping some major iron all year just to be sure I can actually lift it, heh. But nah, I'm making it durable but pretty lightweight, it will just look massive.

And I'm glad it will fit in the elevators, as stairs are no longer my friends, lol.

Hey, at least you're not cosplaying that sniper dude from Trigun. ;)

(For those of you who don't know, there was a minor character in Trigun who had a sniper rifle with an extendable barrel that was longer than 12 feet...although to be fair, he never actually carried it around assembled; it folded up to fit in a large case)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »
OK, I am absolutely serious here.

There is a cosplayer who wants to know about chainsaws.
If he has removed the chain and emptied the fuel can he bring his chainsaw as a prop?
He knows it would have to be peacebonded but he wants to be able to pose with it and stuff.

Yojimbo?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »
Seriously?  He can't make a prop one?  Or buy a Resident Evil chainsaw controller for PS2? (those things are ballin')
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2008, 05:29:18 pm »
In regards to the chainsaw......

Tell him to come to the next meeting and discuss it with macalister as shjelton will be unavliable.

But unofficially I say if the chain is removed, the fuel has been cleared and it can be demonstrated that it cannot be started and then bonded I say its cool.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2008, 10:33:40 pm »
Eve, if you can be at the next meeting or one of the yojimbo trainings complete with prop, we can take a look at it before con to gauge whether or not we think it's safe.  Next meeting is on the 16th as you know, next two trainings are on the 10th and 24th at Pioneer Place Mall, 2 pm, food court.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36:44 am »
Okay, I'll try to be there at the next meeting. Thanks for your help.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:41 am »
No problem.  :-)  To anyone who has a similar question, do remember it's a judgement call on an individual basis whether or not we feel a prop is allowed when they're that hyuge.  If we should happen to disallow your weapon, please understand we are not trying to single you out, we are simply doing our job.

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2008, 03:02:32 pm »
Just a note.  The chainsaw is vetoed.  Posted to the other forum as well.  Basicly, as with airsoft, there is no way you can disable this enough for it to be OK and I can gauarentee that the hotel will not go for this.  It was hard enough to get them to sign on to our current wepon policy with out having to try for chainsaws.  Also, btw this year we DO have verified in writing that our prop policy is OK and won't be changed last min.

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2008, 07:10:08 pm »
David, did you actually double check this with the hotel?  I just want as much information behind my decisions as possible (even though I agree with you on this).  However, do remember, we are allowing Airsoft with one condition, and that condition is that you strip all inner workings and fill it with cement.  Complete with orange tip.  If you brick an Airsoft gun so there is absolutely no hope, it is allowed by our policies.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »
They have it in writing. Like in the terms and conditions of the contract.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2008, 10:45:55 pm »
As far as I have been informed airsoft is still not allowed.  I have not specifically talk to to hotel about it, just other directors.  If you would like I will put it to a vote at the board meeting, but I don't think this will change.  Unlike a airsoft gun, this is not as easily disabled in a way that is not easily fixable.  Second, if airsoft is now allowed, please show me in writing or email where the hotel has agreed to this. 

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:05 pm »
as far as I know its simply been the rule that airsoft is NOT allowed UNLESS the weapon is gutted, filled with concrete and orange tipped. I know this has been the case for the last few years (tho iv yet to see someone actually do this)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
as far as I know its simply been the rule that airsoft is NOT allowed UNLESS the weapon is gutted, filled with concrete and orange tipped. I know this has been the case for the last few years (tho iv yet to see someone actually do this)
I second kyilte's comment here.  We've never been told to my knowledge that airsoft isn't allowed period end of story.  So for anyone who was thinking of gutting and bricking an airsoft weapon, be aware that apparently things can change, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2008, 06:45:07 pm »
I'm not trying to be contradictory or cause any problems but I don't see the point of doing the orange tip. Someone could just as easily paint the tip of a real gun orange. But I do realize it helps make it look less realistic and dangerous. I just personally don't think it's that big a deal. But it isn't my place to say after all, I'm just a first-time staffer after all, just throwing that out there.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:10 pm »
Both this years Hotel and Next years Hotel have signed the affor mentioned policy.  I think some exceptions can be made for afor mentioned airsoft filled with concreate and painted in such a way that they are look from a distance fake and can no way be repaired to be a funtioning product.  If you have such a prop, please bring it to the meeting for review and understand that if the hotel security do take offence to it we will have to ask that it be removed. 

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »
I've got a friend with no forum account that's got a rather large prop, a giant hammer. The handle is five feet long and the head of it is three feet across and four feet long. There is no way that she can resize it. Is it too big to be peacebonded?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »
That prop is too big.
The head is three feet by four feet? Definitely oversized.

"Props wide enough or long enough to inhibit flow of traffic" are not allowed.
I suggest bringing it down for some photoshoots in the park and keeping it in the hotel room the rest of the time.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!