Author Topic: 2005 AMV Contest - TEMPORARY SCRATCHWORK SITE  (Read 4367 times)

2005 AMV Contest - TEMPORARY SCRATCHWORK SITE
« on: September 10, 2004, 06:04:12 am »
I am starting to work on the 2005 contest.
TENTATIVE, TEMPORARY Rules are posted at:

http://www.ados.com/~guy1656/KumoriCon/2005-AMV.htm

and the 'Contest' link on this Kumoricon page also temporarily points there.

Sorry if you are disappointed by no snazzy graphics.

I invite all questions and suggestions for improvements on how the contest is run or regulated, and I hope to start taking entry submissions in MARCH 2005 for next year's contest. I really enjoyed seeing what everyone could do ...

In the meantime I'd like to discuss upcoming categories. I think we need one more category.
What category would you like which is DIFFERENT from the others up there now?

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 08:30:32 am »
What happened to the Drama/Romance category?  :|

Also, you could split the Action & Technical Effects category into Best Action and Best Technical. That way, any technical videos in the other categories could have a shot at being awarded for it's effects.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 02:20:18 pm »
Quote from: "PIE"
What happened to the Drama/Romance category?

1. I am trying to experiment with new classes of categories. If we can succeed, then it will be just one more way that Kumoricon is Not Just Another Anime Convention(TM) :-D

2. "Drama/Romance" is supposed to tell a story. Left to its own devices this category is the least energetic, which is why it tends to get sandwiched between other, more energetic categories (and not just at this past contest - I've seen it at other anime cons.) Would you agree that if a contest ran Action, Comedy and Tech Effects up front, followed by some other specialty categories, and then Drama and Romanceas the two LAST categories, lots of people would start LEAVING before it was over, right?

I am trying to *eliminate* a potential 'ZZZ' category by folding the 'tell a story' goal into a couple of other categories we haven't yet seen. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Lastly, this is why I convene an independent panel of pre-screening judges. They have the freedom and the final say on category types and what entries best fit where. So *they* might re-create the category if there are 4 *good* entries which run best against each other as "Drama / Romance."

Also, you could split the Action & Technical Effects category into Best Action and Best Technical. That way, any technical videos in the other categories could have a shot at being awarded for its effects.

Two more notions here as well:

1. A technically "ka-POW!"  entry in one of the other categories may win special mention by the audence's Best of Show pick or also the Judges' Choice.

2. Two ways to use technical stuff: First, just to amaze people with digital imagery. Next, USE the effects as TOOLS to tell your story. Taking the the second case first, when technical effects are used well for a paricular category (how about kanjii floating against a temple background, with well known miko-type anime characters projected onto the characters' surfaces, plus drop-shading onto the background landscapes, etc) those well-executed effects will usually draw lots of attention and votes. On the other hand, a pure 'Action' vid can work without a story, message, moral or plot. So, if a technical entry is little more than "Am I slick or what" (with After Effects or whatever) then running plotless technical effects against plotless Action doesn't seem too contradictory. What do you think?

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 06:39:25 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
2. Two ways to use technical stuff: First, just to amaze people with digital imagery. Next, USE the effects as TOOLS to tell your story. Taking the the second case first, when technical effects are used well for a paricular category (how about kanjii floating against a temple background, with well known miko-type anime characters projected onto the characters' surfaces, plus drop-shading onto the background landscapes, etc) those well-executed effects will usually draw lots of attention and votes. On the other hand, a pure 'Action' vid can work without a story, message, moral or plot. So, if a technical entry is little more than "Am I slick or what" (with After Effects or whatever) then running plotless technical effects against plotless Action doesn't seem too contradictory. What do you think?

- G

What a "Best Technical" award would do however would force the viewers, so to speak, into the state of mind of having to judge videos not for their effects but rather how well they are in terms of story-telling, concept, editing, etc.
Because they're aware of a category that's there just for videos who are technically-inclined, they'll judge the non-technical videos for how good they are.

I pray this is making any sense, heh.

Forcing the viewers?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 08:35:09 am »
1) What a "Best Technical" award would do however would force the viewers ...
2) Because they're aware of a category that's there just for videos who are technically-inclined, they'll judge the non-technical videos for how good they are.

In my experience, you cannot really 'force' either the creators or the audence to do something or refrain from something they have a propensity to do. Example: no matter what the category name or goal is, anytime somebody makes a FUNNY entry in a non-comedy category, THAT one tends to win. This may not be a fair strategy, and at least ONE contest short-circuits that approach by having the CONTESTANTS classify the entries in addition to picking the best of each category.

I do something similar by using a pre-screening panel of experienced video/AMV folks, and what may very well happen is that if there are a number of technically-focussed entires, they can create the category, just like (as I said earlier) they might do to create a Romance/Drama category if several entries seem to fit best that way. As I have said earlier, I recuse myself from their selection and classification process.

Another thing: I am trying to keep the contest under one hour. (This last time we finished in a little over 45 minutes, having shown 11 entries.)  So, averaging a little less than 4min:30sec to show 11 AMVs, I will aim at showing no more than 14 AMV's total, and that means 3 or 4 categories are most likely.

Are you suggesting something like: (A total of 6 - 7 prizes)

1) Action
2) Non-Action, Not-funny, Type-I  (we get to determine these two types)
3) Non-Action, Not-funny, Type-II
4) Funny (Comedy, parody commercials & parody trailers)

with two or three OVERALL prizes awarded outside of categories:
- Best Technical (audience poll)
- Best of Show (audience poll)
- Judges' Choice (optional, would be chosen during the pre-screening)

and if so, we need ideas for Type I and Type II non-action, non-funny videos? At this writing I still prefer trying to steer the non-funny, non-action works into one or two original categories instead of "Drama/Romance/Sedatives"

Please note recent updates at:
http://www.ados.com/~guy1656/KumoriCon/2005-AMV.htm

- G

dmstudios3

bummer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 08:09:32 am »
Man, I started making an action AMV to an anime movie that I haven't seen any AMVs of.  But it was released like in, 1996 or something.  What can I do?

The rules say it has to have been released no earlier than Jan. 01 2001.

help?

Re: bummer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 02:24:43 pm »
Quote from: "dmstudios3"
Man, I started making an action AMV to an anime movie that I haven't seen any AMVs of.  help?

HOORAY! Something NEW! (I want to see it!)

Since 'the rules' are not yet final, I will tweak things and call it "NEW SERIES and UNSEEN FACES" Watch for some changes at http://www.ados.com/~guy1656/KumoriCon/2005-AMV.htm within a week.

As a guide, so far the top 15 most USED anime at amv.org are:

DBZ (all) 15.17%
Final Fantasy (all) 9.21%
Evangelion 6.05%
Kenshin (all) 5.42%
Sailor Moon (all) 4.64%
Bebop 3.71%
Naruto 3.69%
Trigun 3.44%
Inu Yasha 2.74%
Love Hina 1.68%
Hellsing 1.63%
Yu^2 Hakusho 1.63%
FLCL 1.52%
Card Captor Sakura 1.43%
Gundam Wing 1.42%

So, in NEW Series & UNSEEN FACES, you use a series that's either NEW  (as of 1-Jan-01) or (relatively) UNSEEN. Now only thing we have to add are aroung 5 - 10 scenes we've SEEN TOO MUCH OF. (watch forthat  new thread, too)

- G

Offline DannyCat

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 05:33:14 am »
Quote from: "http://www.ados.com/~guy1656/KumoriCon/2005-AMV.htm"

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~guy1656/KumoriCon/2005-AMV.htm
on this server.

Oops.

Quote from: "Guest"
So, in NEW Series & UNSEEN FACES, you use a series that's either NEW  (as of 1-Jan-01) or (relatively) UNSEEN.

So, entering a Urusei Yatsura AMV won't bring the hammer down on itself?

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 11:21:30 am »
Quote from: "DannyCat"

403 Forbidden

My ISP had nasty troubles over the weekend. (D'oh!)

Quote from: "Guest"
So, in NEW Series & UNSEEN FACES,  you use a series that's either NEW  (as of 1-Jan-01) or (relatively) UNSEEN.

Quote from: "DannyCat"
So, entering a Urusei Yatsura AMV won't bring the hammer down on itself?

You are correct - it's new OR unseen, and unless a whole TON of U/Y AMVs get made so as to 'make' the list of Most Used Animes at www.amv.org by 1-Jan-05,you should be good-to-go. Best of luck and encoureagement to you, and remember, that category is ACTION & Technical.

- G