Author Topic: Any thoughts on up coming live action films?  (Read 6082 times)

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
Any thoughts on up coming live action films?
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
Anyone else looking forward to the up coming live action Dragonball, and Speed Racer movies? I also recently heard that the live action adaptation of Akira, and Neon Genesis Evangelion is confirmed, and is planned to release in the summer of 2009.

I'm a little worried about a few aspects of the film, but its possible the Dragonball movie will be good. I haven't heard anyting about the Akira live action movie, except that the story will be split into two live action movies. I also don't know anything about the live action Evangelion movie.

Offline maetel

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/maetel9/
Re: Any thoughts on up coming live action films?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:10:21 pm »
i'm preparing to cringe and cover my eyes

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:24 pm »
Speed Racer maaaaaaaaaaaay have a chance at being "okay" since it's suppose to be a little corny already.

Dragonball Z..... I'm ready to take bets on how long it will take between being released in theaters and released on video.  I'm guessing 3 hours.  (2 1/2 if you don't count the previews)

There's a video on youtube where they made false announcements (and said they were false) on who was staring in DBZ Live action.
Example from the video: Krillian played by Danny Devito.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
I haven't seen too many live action movies that I liked, but I want to remain optimistic just in case one of these movies turns out ok. I can already predict a few changes there gonna make in the dragonball movie, Goku fights Lord Piccolo as a child in the anime, but they've casted a teenage goku for the movie?

The thing that bugs me about Speed Racer is the CG they're using in all the races. It makes the movie look cheesy when they overdue it with special effects. Its not like we can't pull off a good race scene without full CG.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:42 am »
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm really excited for the upcoming Dark Knight and the Ironman movies. And Watchmen is also getting turned into a movie as well!

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:26:36 am »
The live action movies based on Marvel and DC characters are usually good movies, but I all the anime live action movies I've seen weren't too great. GTO and Death note are just a few movies off the top of my head that I thought sucked when they were made into live action.

I have no doubt that The Dark Knight, Ironman, and possibly second Hulk movie will all be good movies when they come out later this year.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:21:23 am »
Well, I have seen the trailers for Speed Racer and as far as I can tell they took the show and tried to make it serious. I was expecting a cheese-fast, something I could laugh about, but for the most part the trailer was just boring. Lots of bright colors and flashing lights of the amusement park=like race track, but none of the cheesy acting or anything was carried over. I can understand why they didn't, but still, that was my favorite part of the show....but I never really liked Speed Racer to begin with.

As for Akira...if they are adapting that, I may scream out of joy and out of dread. There is so much in the manga that was cut to make the anime, and I can only imagine there will be significant cuts again to make the live-action (Then again, if they are splitting it into two, maybe they will be adapting the manga more than the anime). Either way, I will be waiting for it big time. (Just can't wait to see Tetsuo explode that group of people in the hospital hallway....^_^)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:43 am »
Battle Royale is another example. Though not as epic as the manga, I still liked it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:45 pm »
More about the Akira live-action can be read here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-20/warner-leonardo-dicaprio-to-produce-akira-live-action

It's good to hear that the movies will indeed be drawn from the manga and not straight from the anime, although I'm not sure I'm so keen on the idea of the story being set in "Neo-Manhattan" instead of "Neo-Tokyo". That makes me wonder what else they are going to change to make the movie appeal to the American culture and people...

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 01:45:18 pm »
It's really too bad that more of these live action movies aren't being made in Japan itself, but are being done by people in Hollywood. Sure you get money to work with but the studios are always trying to control things rather than letting the stories stand on their own.

Then again I'm kind of mad about the rumors I heard about Where the Wild Things Are getting sent back for re-working to make it "less dark." >:(

I think that Speed Racer will be a nice adaptation, but I'm still trying not to get overly hyped up about Dragonball. I love James Marsters but I'm not sure about some of the other cast members I've heard about.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:07:59 pm »
Hmm I haven't heard of this o___o

I'm looking forward to Evangelion now!

But I can't wait for the L spinoff movie :D (Which I know is out already but I am too lazy/busy to find it)

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 07:12:17 pm »
This movie will never make it to theatres, but I think it's worth mentioning. A live action Zelda film. It's an independent film, but I bet it's more accurate to the game series, than if any real movie studio were to produce it.

To be honest I laughed so hard when I saw this for the first time. I hope they just put it online for free, because otherwise I wouldn't pay to see it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jB89-9X6YS0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:15:46 pm by balmno »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:43:42 pm »
This movie will never make it to theatres, but I think it's worth mentioning. A live action Zelda film. It's an independent film, but I bet it's more accurate to the game series, than if any real movie studio were to produce it.

To be honest I laughed so hard when I saw this for the first time. I hope they just put it online for free, because otherwise I wouldn't pay to see it.

They could've at least made Link look better...

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 08:11:28 pm »

They could've at least made Link look better...

lol yea... I especially like the triforces that they drew on their hands. From what I saw from the preview Ganondorf looked kinda cool.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:36 pm »

Considering the circumstances, that looked pretty darn entertaining, to say the least. I think Link looked kind of weird, and his hair couldn't have possibly been any more of a wig, but it looked good, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:33 pm »

Wow. O.o
Give them some more money for better equipment (not for CG please), fix Link a little bit, few other minor things,  and they might have something.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42:10 pm »

Wow. O.o
Give them some more money for better equipment (not for CG please), fix Link a little bit, few other minor things,  and they might have something.

I'll give them credit for the scenery they have, and the girls look a lot like the characters. Also, I heard that link fights dragons, and demons creatures that are huge, so the action might be cool. Plus, I heard the movie run time is a little under 2hrs. http://legendofzeldaseries.com/main.php?page=movieinterviews.html here's the link for all the movie info.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 10:53:43 pm »

Wow. O.o

I'll give them credit for the scenery they have, and the girls look a lot like the characters. Also, I heard that link fights dragons, and demons creatures that are huge, so the action might be cool. Plus, I heard the movie run time is a little under 2hrs. http://legendofzeldaseries.com/main.php?page=movieinterviews.html here's the link for all the movie info.
I'll definitely check it out when I have the time.

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:11:53 am »
although I'm not sure I'm so keen on the idea of the story being set in "Neo-Manhattan" instead of "Neo-Tokyo". That makes me wonder what else they are going to change to make the movie appeal to the American culture and people...
god forsaken retards........... didnt they learn that it doesnt mater where the **** its in....................................................................... its just a movie................ why muist they put in america .,sdfskdgljs;df gkldflj;sfgsdl;fg /rant off

sorry i just hate it when they think they must do stuff like this to make it more "region/us friendly" ^_^;;;;
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:37:13 am by dakrum »
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:26 am »
although I'm not sure I'm so keen on the idea of the story being set in "Neo-Manhattan" instead of "Neo-Tokyo". That makes me wonder what else they are going to change to make the movie appeal to the American culture and people...
god forsaken retards........... didnt they learn that it doesnt mater where the **** its in....................................................................... its just a movie................ why muist they put in america .,sdfskdgljs;df gkldflj;sfgsdl;fg /rant off

sorry i just hate it when they think they must do stuff like this to make it more "region/us friendly" ^_^;;;;
"Yessire, it's great to have this racing event right here in the heart of the US."
"Is that Tokyo Tower over there?"
"...... heart of the US."

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 01:30:31 pm »
im not to sure what mean but i was referring to akira in the quote
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 12:03:50 am »
im not to sure what mean but i was referring to akira in the quote
Sorry, I was making something up about when anime say they are in the US but are plainly set in Japan like the dubbed version of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:24 pm »
lol thats just a little crazy that they do things that way ::)
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 02:20:44 pm »
We also  have a live action remake of "Blood:The Last Vampire" coming out failry soon...a Korean/Japanese/US co-production, I believe.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »
Oooh, that's exciting. I loved the anime, so that's one to keep my eyes on.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 06:24:58 pm »
I'm kinda going off topic here, but I hear there is going to be a Trigun movie (animated) that will be released in 2009.

From what I can tell it's going to be about Vash vs. Wolfwood; which sounds like an awesome battle to watch.